DogZilla Black IPA - Laughing Dog Brewing

DogZilla Black IPADogZilla Black IPA

Laughing Dog Brewing visit their website
Idaho, United States

American Black Ale |  6.90% ABV

True to its IPA roots Dogzilla has a massive hop presence that is Piney and Citrusy. A malty backbone, along with the dark malt gives it a bit of a roasty finish. Brewed with Simcoe and Cascade Hops, Pale Malt, Munich, and Black Barley.

(Beer added by: SurlyDuff on 08-02-2008)

rvajohn, Dec 07, 2013

Huffaroma, Dec 06, 2013
3.78/5  rDev +12.5%

popped the cap and it began rising.... dark amber liquid, tan foam, lots of stickiness on the side. serious hop aroma, serious hop taste. malts take a backseat on this one... 2nd pour is just as foamy, I swear I didn't shake this up.... surprised at the low reviews ahead of me. cant see it being less than a 3, but then we each have our opinions.
an interesting brew, and decent as far as i'm concerned, but finishes a bit thin... overall, not bad. I like the color, I like the appearance; i'm not a huge hops guy, but this is okay. I like it. not a pliny, for certain, but decent. again, i'm surprised at the low scores ahead of me... and for the guy ahead of me, no, it's NOT a stout.
each successive pour is hugely volatile (just like others have stated). infected? maybe. but it certainly does not deserve the scores I saw from previous reviewers....

afterthought: bubble gum flavor is reminiscent of a good Belgian...

2nd afterthought: this just may be infected. extremely volatile... but nice head!! wish I could get some head this good!!

pkalix, Dec 01, 2013

quakeroatmealstout, Nov 30, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +26.5%

Corburk, Nov 29, 2013

koopa, Nov 16, 2013

Mattyb79, Nov 09, 2013
2.99/5  rDev -11%

Poured from a standard pressure-cap bomber into a pint glass in high elevation Kalispell, Mont. Reviewed live.

A- No head. Just some clear bubbles. Black body with no opacity.

S- Earthy hops and dark malts. Chocolate.

T- Chocolate sort of flavor, earthy hops. Muted flavors.

M- Thick bodied and dry.

MaddDogg84, Sep 27, 2013

RyanMcAndrew, Sep 26, 2013

jkroese, Sep 23, 2013
2.04/5  rDev -39.3%

I saw this at Total Wine with a price label that had a beer advocate rating of "93" printed on it, so I decided to give this beer a try. When I tasted this beer I was shocked that it received such a high score, and after checking online I knew I made a huge mistake.

The beer looks like coca-cola without the fizz. It smells of chocolate (which isn't a bad thing, but not really my thing). But the taste. Oh god the taste. It doesn't work. The chocolate stout notes don't mesh well with the light citrus/pine notes. It's not a terrible beer, but it's not a good beer either.

GiveMeBeerToDrink, Sep 14, 2013

djrn2, Sep 13, 2013
2.46/5  rDev -26.8%

licorice chocolate

chocolate stout

First and foremost, we don't appreciate the misconception that this is not a stout. It has stout all throughout and will frustrate even the most ignorant beer drinker. Some dude in Idaho though he could sell more beer if he plugged it as an IPA and here we are.

The appearance is fine, but for a stout this beer had more head than a bald chick participating in a windsurfer contest or a fat white chick at a biker convention.

It's a black swan in a white goose world and this bird is flying like a peacock but without the colors.

Save the trickery for your Idaho friends, it does not fly here as an IPA.

Very open to hearing feedback on what components of this beer result in it being called an IPA.

The rest was used to cook food. I expect way more from Laughing Dog than laughs at this attempt at mockery.

BabaYagaRIS, Sep 01, 2013