Alpha Dog Imperial IPA - Laughing Dog Brewing

Alpha Dog Imperial IPAAlpha Dog Imperial IPA

good

Laughing Dog Brewing visit their website
Idaho, United States

A true hop bomb brewed plenty of Columbus and Mt Hood hops for a piney hop character. Premium Pale, Honey and Munich malt make this beer a little less malty but packing plenty of hop punch.

(Beer added by: bitterthebetter on 02-14-2009)
Reviews by rickyleepotts:
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.31/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I see this beer all the time at Total Wine & More, but have never bought it. Nothing from Laughing Dog has impressed me. But as I was reading this, and seeing how bitter is was going to be, I started to get excited. IBU stands for international bittering units, and this beer has an IBU of 127. That is REALLY high, considering most double/imperial India pale ales are around 100. The Palate Wrecker from Green Flash is 136 (some say 137 depending on the year) and that will pretty much destroy your palate. Regardless, 127 is enough to get me excited!

This is the only beer on the list from Laughing Dog Brewing. Let's hope the author picked a good offering from them. Bottoms up, people!

In the Glass: I would wait until the head goes down before I started reviewing this, but that might take 20 minutes! I did a hard pour on this bottle, and the head is a few inches tall. The suds are just sticking to the side of the glass like glue, too. Nothing beats an IPA with a thick sticky head! (So many things I say on this blog could be taken the wrong way… but trust me, always about the enjoyment of the beer.)

Nose: Today is April 1st, 2013. This beer was bottled on April 8th, 2012. The ABV is big enough this beer should have aged well, but I would love to try this fresh. Nothing beats a fresh IPA. For a beer with 127 IBU, I expected the aroma to be a little more powerful. Don't get me wrong, it still has a great aroma. But it isn't the hops that I was expecting. I will say, for the ABV and the size of this beer, $4.99 is a good value regardless of the flavor. Speaking of the flavor, let's drink!

Flavor: There are the hops I was expecting. They aren't overwhelming, but they are abundant. The flavor profile actually changes a few times over the course of a drink. At first, the hops are balanced and boring, but then toward the back of the palate the piney dryness kicks in and as you swallow it becomes almost grapefruit sweet. Then, as you continue to swallow, the hops begin to taste like pine cones. The dryness is really nice, leaving me begging for another sip. If you said, "Is that a double IPA?" I am not sure I would be able to tell you… again, not as powerful as I expected. I bet Sheryl hates it. She isn't into hops like me!

Mouthfeel: At first, it's boring. There isn't much going on at all. Then, as it slides across your palate, it begins to open up. As you do swallow, the flavor really explodes and a nice thin layer of bubbles leave your palate excited for a second (or third) drink. I swished the beer around, and the flavor, especially those sweet grapefruit notes, REALLY come out. That is actually a much better flavor. If you are drinking this, I highly recommend swishing it around in your mouth a little bit. You're welcome!

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is piney at first, but then it begins to turn a nice drying bittersweet flavor that I like in an IPA. I still wouldn't call this a double IPA, but I wouldn't call Hop Stoopid a DIPA, either. That beer has an IBU of 103, and it tastes like a boring pale ale. One of the only beers that brewing company makes that I dislike.

This is a good beer, don't get me wrong. But this is NOT a typical DIPA in my book. I asked Jazz if he has had this, and he didn't care for it. I am picky when it comes to barleywines… but I am REALLY pick when it comes to an IPA. But hey, I can't like them all. Where is the fun in that? Cheers, people!

04-01-2013 21:35:18 | More by rickyleepotts
PickwickHopz

07-12-2014 19:59:13 | More by PickwickHopz
CharlesBarkley

Delaware

As I write this let me note that I’m smiling, and have been for the last 10 minutes. Upon opening, i heard a laughter. A laughter so inexplicable that I did a 360 in my Espia nylon office chair to confront the culprit. It was then that I looked down at the golden rivers and smiled. Not only did my balls tingle mid pour into my chalice, but i felt a sudden connection between myself in this captivating presence. I stand here today, a mere mortal, who has witnessed something extraordinary.

I sunk my upper lip into the chalice and gently leaned back just as far enough so that it flushed through my mouth like a tranquil river. The laughter I was hearing began to intensify as I became fully aware of what was happening; magic. Magic to the point where i had no control over my mind, no control over my bowels, and most importantly no control over my soul. I’m writing this not as a recommendation, but as a demand. Drink up, hear the laughter…hear the laughter…

07-12-2014 02:11:51 | More by CharlesBarkley

07-02-2014 18:21:03 | More by GClarkage
BWED

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bomber poured into a craft pint

A- Orange bronze in color. 1/2" pad of an off white head, which retains really well. Great sticky lacing.

S- Pine and earthy notes, some dry citrus. Malt notes are a bit sweet, and fruity.

T- Strong hop profile of citrus peel, with just a bit of a malt background. The hop character tips the scale on this one.

M- Fairly full in body. Thick and sticky. Long dry finish.

O- There's no denying this is imperial. Bitterness is way up there, with not a lot else to help balance it out.

07-02-2014 12:23:58 | More by BWED