Alpha Dog Imperial IPA - Laughing Dog Brewing

Alpha Dog Imperial IPAAlpha Dog Imperial IPA

good

Laughing Dog Brewing visit their website
Idaho, United States

A true hop bomb brewed plenty of Columbus and Mt Hood hops for a piney hop character. Premium Pale, Honey and Munich malt make this beer a little less malty but packing plenty of hop punch.

(Beer added by: bitterthebetter on 02-14-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alpha Dog Imperial IPA Alström Bros

irongator, May 09, 2012
1.1/5  rDev -70.5%

It looked and poured beautifully. After that it was all downhill. Every sip tasted like I was drinking a liquid pepper. Truly wish I would have read the previous reviews before wasting money on this beer. I don't know what went wrong something is not right. I'm sure it's a bad batch, however based on this bottle I would never purchase another beer from Laughing Dog.

Hopster916, Nov 02, 2013
1.25/5  rDev -66.5%

chocosushi, Feb 06, 2013
1.38/5  rDev -63%

I won't take it as general to this beer, and probably you that are reading this don't have too...
But my first bottle was in some way contaminated...
It smells like horse's shit and the taste goes the same way down =(
The smell remember me a little of some brett, but smelling it again, I know that there was something is wrong, I don't know.
And no!!! The sour's fans won't like it too, I'm pretty sure about that.

I'm looking forward for another bottle and try it again, but right now, I'm very disappointed with this beer.

Rafael_Mindu, Aug 23, 2013
1.5/5  rDev -59.8%

chadleymadidafus, Jul 05, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -59.8%

KingHoppy, Jul 11, 2014
1.65/5  rDev -55.8%

This was one of the three worst tasting beers that I have had so I hope I simply quaffed a bottle from a bad batch. Starting off, the golden color and generous head were quite nice, but the "off" aroma had me wondering if I had dead rats in the walls. I took a swig and then another. The mouthfeel was silky, but the taste had a tinge of spoiled meat. I'm a hop nut and bitterness was not the issue. I also like a wide variety of brews from stout to Belgian to wheat. This was something else entirely and completely off putting to me. At least in this bottle, the hints of pine others have noted were more like eating a terpentine-laden pine cone. No exageration.

hoppyserpent, Jan 12, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -53.1%

Jweibley, Jul 25, 2014
1.83/5  rDev -50.9%

We could hardly get through the bottle. In fact, we dumped it. I looked at some other reviews here and elsewhere and I get a sense they may have a production problem where an occasional bottle slips through.

This was pepper phenolics: not any hop or yeast driven sense like that. The best was the aroma, but the pepper was still there. Mouthfeel: pepper clinging to the roof of the mouth. Body: hard to tell, but I'm guessing moderate. Yellow/gold-ish color with good clarity. Head holds on and pillow in nature.

Honestly: it's hard to judge a beer that's so obviously a pepper bomb. On first taste we got just a slight sense of fruit that was whisked at warp 1000. So, we decided to Grolsch the rest and try it a few days latter. That didn't work: still like drinking liquid pepper.

One thing I must comment on: I noticed the score was high when I first looked here, and elsewhere, but a lot of threes, and even at least one 1 point something that had a similar complaint, though they thought it was a Belgian yeast, I'm guessing because that pepper funk can exist with certain Belgian yeasts. And another LD I reviewed on my own site had a similar problem: not defect, but ratings-wise... a lot of threes and a few scoring super, super high.

Let's just leave my comment on that at, "Interesting."

I'd love to know what a non-phenolic LDAD is like, but I rally have no interest in wasting my money, especially after choking down a pepper bomb.

kencarman, Sep 27, 2013

ejimhof, Dec 24, 2012

DrNo, Jan 16, 2012
2.15/5  rDev -42.4%

Beer foamed up a lot. 70% head after pouring down the side of a 12oz mug. Hazy orange/yellow. Yeast at the bottom of the bottle. The head will not go away! 5 minutes later, I'm finally getting to drink. Lacing all over the place.
Roasted/burnt sugary smell. Not a great hop aroma to speak of.
Strong malt flavor a roasted/burnt taste. Somewhat hard to describe. It's reminiscent of subpar homebrew. Small amount of hop flavor, but I'm mainly getting a lot of bitterness in the hop department. That bitterness sticks around, too. I'm guessing the IBUs are really high
Relatively thin, yet smooth mouthfeel. Way too fizzy for my taste (and this style). Especially considering the amount of carbonation already lost.
Overall, I'm really not impressed. The over-carbonation is obviously a flaw. The roasted/burnt taste may be intentional, but it's not my thing. I bought this beer because I love the Rye IPA from this brewer. But, I will not be buying this one again.

UnderPressure, Sep 07, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -39.7%

ms11781, Jul 03, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -39.7%

A: Good color, clear and unfiltered, head dissipates quickly.

S: Pine/citrus smells, a breadiness comes through, alcohol as well. Not a good sign.

T: Lots of high bittering hops, the malt body not much of the citrus smell I was getting. A lot of alcohol when swallowed and a long lasting bitterness. Again, not good.

M: Body was fine, not too thin not too thick just about right.

O: All in all, the beer has a few things done right, but those are insignificant compared to the most important thing to me, and that is TASTE. Taste is awful, I thought it was unbalanced, way too much alcohol, not enough sweetness to counteract the ridiculous amount of bittering hops used.

Beyond the bittering hops, not much flavor/aroma as it sohuld have had. There was a sllight breadiness I just don't like in my beer in the smell and the taste I'm not sure if it was my bottle or if that was intended but I dislike that quality.

Besides that, I thought there was almost a fusal alcohol quality about this beer and it was just undrinkable. Poured my glass down the drain because it was a poorly made beer overall.

Overall, one of the worst DIPAs I've had and I love the DIPA style but at $8 for a bomber, I felt robbed.

kornkid8600, Feb 25, 2012
2.42/5  rDev -35.1%

A: Good pour into the glass. There is a clean, good sized white head. I'm curious about the intense carbonation (many bubbles are raising).

S: Carmel like, spicy tones, with an undertone of strong hop aroma!

T: There is hop bitterness, toasty caramel malt lays, with some pine bitterness mixed in.

M: There's emptiness in feel, doesn’t have the 'fullness' you'd expect from an Imperial IPA.

O: Smooth beer, but not as 'BIG' as I was hoping for. Again, not horrible but missing something...

scootpolute, Jun 10, 2011

ZiggyPop, Jan 30, 2013

RBorsato, Oct 22, 2013

Kevin72, Oct 08, 2013

coombski, May 06, 2014

MeganDana, Aug 04, 2014

Falien02, Nov 25, 2012
2.64/5  rDev -29.2%

First thing about this beer is the ridiculous frothy, head. Like 4 inches in a 16oz. tulip. The head does not ever dissipate. Seriously, after 10 minutes its still there. Smell is grass, some orange, sweet breads, plastic. There is a lot of plastic on the nose to this one. Very little pine or citrus the way I like my IIPA's to smell. Mouthfeel is fine, mild carbonation. Too me, it tastes more sweet then bitter. It has 120 or something IBU so I would have expected a lot more bitter. The bitter hits you on the middle-back of the tongue but its not overwhelming at all. there is something just not balanced about this flavor, hard to describe. Doesnt taste like any other IIPA Ive had (Ive had hundreds). Anyway, meh.

vitALEity, Jan 23, 2013