1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Alpha Dog Imperial IPA - Laughing Dog Brewing

Alpha Dog Imperial IPAAlpha Dog Imperial IPA

good

Laughing Dog Brewing visit their website
Idaho, United States

A true hop bomb brewed plenty of Columbus and Mt Hood hops for a piney hop character. Premium Pale, Honey and Munich malt make this beer a little less malty but packing plenty of hop punch.

(Beer added by: bitterthebetter on 02-14-2009)
Ratings: 541 | Reviews: 293 | Show All Ratings:
BlurryVisi0n

3.93/5  rDev +5.1%

Served in a snifter glass.

Appearance: cloudy amber head is thing but body is obviously bubbly with a 1/4' white head.

Smell: You know it smells real good, but it is light. Light floral.

Taste: Comes off bitter, but not as impressing as some other imperial IPAs. Hints of wood, but impressively creamy...reminds you a little of an octoberfest/marzen style that would compliment a steak with the best of them.

Mouth: Med-heavy carbonation, tingles your mouth with flavor.

Overall: I would definitely buy this again, it is a little different and it's after taste is good enough to say "gimmme a little more". I hope you all enjoy, Salud!

04-08-2012 20:20:38 | More by BlurryVisi0n
Mora2000

The beer pours a yellow-orange color with a large white head. The aroma has a lot of orange citrus and pine notes, as well as a little bit of biscuit malt. The flavor is similar. I get a lot of orange and bitter resin notes from the hops, as well as a good bit of alcohol. The level of bitterness is about medium. I get a medium mouthfeel and the carbonation level is medium as well.

04-02-2012 21:32:41 | More by Mora2000
vic21234

3.15/5  rDev -15.8%

22oz bomber poured into a snifter. No bottled on date info stamped on the bottle.

A- Pours a cloudy amber color with a finger and a halfs worth of head. The head dissipates into a bubbly film along the top with some lacing along the sides of the glass. Looks good.

S- Really reminds me of a DFH IPA, maybe like a 90 minute. Smells rather sweet and malty. Not much hop aroma except for some slight pine notes. Not a bad thing necessarily, but not the smell I want from an IPA.

T- Starts off rather bitter with a hit of the piney resin hop presence. Afterwards just seems overly malty with not much else going on.

M- Bitter, dry, leaves more to be desired from a DIPA.

Not a bad beer, but I don't think I'll be buying this again. There are many better DIPAS around here on the shelf.

03-25-2012 22:20:11 | More by vic21234
wvsabbath

West Virginia

3.53/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Serving Type - 22oz bottle

Appearance - Light copper orange, grape juice. 1/2 inch head with some decent lacing.

Smell - Hops, lots of caramel malts, some spices. A little pine and grapefruit. Not overly hop strong aroma.

Taste - Strong caramel malts up front. Hops are very bitter, but are actually a little hidden behind the malts. Spices add some peppery and bold flavors. Alcohol is present, and adds some warmth. Some sugar sweetness comes in during the finish.

Mouthfeel - Strong hops and bold malts coat tounge. Alcohol along with some spices warm tounge also. Palette gets remaining hops and malts. Aftertaste is dry, bitter and alcohol influenced.

Overall - More of a malt monster then expected. Its not balanced very well, seems like malts overpower the hops too much and doesnt let the hops give there full effect. Its still tasty but nothing special id ever buy again.

03-23-2012 22:17:09 | More by wvsabbath
Nugganooch

3.15/5  rDev -15.8%

Notes from 03/17/12
Bomber to pint glass

A: The Dog pours a dark murky rusted orange color producing just a thin khaki tan head. Low retention factor with some splotches of lace here and there. Carb seems low as well.

S: Overall I found the aromas to be rather subdued and malt forward with lots of caramel toffee notes. Some pine and citrus aromas, faint as they are.

T: Flavor comes in big on the malted caramels with the hops riding back seat and window down. Juicy yet with some orange citrus and pine notes. Lower bitterness level for a DIPA. Alcohol seems well masked. The flavors are not really complementing one another here. Not the take on a DIPA I particularly enjoy.

M: A bit heavier in body with a somewhat chalky mouthfeel. Not a lot of resinous hoppy linger and finish is wetter than expected.

D: More of a malt forward DIPA that comes off a bit chewy. Some moments of hop juiciness but the flavors did not really come together all that well for me.
Alpha Dog…more like a submissive lil puppy. Was not impressed. I would pass on this one.

03-20-2012 22:27:46 | More by Nugganooch
Drinkerofales

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

The beer makes a huge fluffy off white head and ends up clear dark orange-copper. A bit dark, but the clarity is nice.

Smell is very malty, kind of like bread, with only a hint of floral hops.

Taste has tons of hop. All earthy bitterness from start to finish, with a little malt in the middle to balance.

It has a lighter medium body, carbonation is on par, needs a little more kick and viscosity though.

I was worried by the aroma, as in, not much hop, fortunately, the taste has plenty of bitter hops, but that's all. Not much complexity, but an above average beer, but not by much.

DOA

03-19-2012 18:12:08 | More by Drinkerofales
WVbeergeek

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

Appears a pale copper hue with a bright white head forming thick, this beer is awesome..fine intricate lacing forms nicely with hints of sugar hops and alcohol in the nose...the Alpha dog has come to play...fiery notes of hop juice and malt sugar come with a green bitterness, I'm loving the hops. The flavor is beautiful with big citric, earthy hop flavor and bitterness with a touch of alcohol. Mouthfeel is medium bodied has me burping with a touch of alcohol and carbonation, very classic feel...the body has some resinous hop oils coating the palate. Overall a very aggressive DIPA that enjoyed, I think it's safe to say that I like Laughing Dog's beers.

03-13-2012 02:23:00 | More by WVbeergeek
Strix

Wisconsin

3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

Murky yellow-orange, nice head.

Citrus in the smell, also malty and bready.

Pretty piney, along with an alcoholic maltiness. Not bad at first, heading towards grassy and even buttery as it warmed.

Mouthfeel on target.

Passable but not a standout in the field.

03-03-2012 04:01:55 | More by Strix
Kendo

4.33/5  rDev +15.8%

A: Poured from the bomber (split two ways with a friend) into a Duvel tulip. Body is orangey-amber with a 2-finger khaki-colored head. Leaves good lacing.

S: Very nice. Fresh, juicy citrus - mainly grapefruit - and a touch of pine.

T: Nice caramel malt foundation. Followed by good citrusy hops - oranges and grapefruit. Then finishes with heat felt in the belly, but not really noted in the taste. Piney, dry hoppy bitterness coats the palate - a moisture-sucking dry, hoppy bitterness.

M: Slightly slick in feel. Medium in heft.

O: Good stuff. My half of the bomber was gone way too quickly.

03-02-2012 17:51:43 | More by Kendo
kornkid8600

2.25/5  rDev -39.8%

A: Good color, clear and unfiltered, head dissipates quickly.

S: Pine/citrus smells, a breadiness comes through, alcohol as well. Not a good sign.

T: Lots of high bittering hops, the malt body not much of the citrus smell I was getting. A lot of alcohol when swallowed and a long lasting bitterness. Again, not good.

M: Body was fine, not too thin not too thick just about right.

O: All in all, the beer has a few things done right, but those are insignificant compared to the most important thing to me, and that is TASTE. Taste is awful, I thought it was unbalanced, way too much alcohol, not enough sweetness to counteract the ridiculous amount of bittering hops used.

Beyond the bittering hops, not much flavor/aroma as it sohuld have had. There was a sllight breadiness I just don't like in my beer in the smell and the taste I'm not sure if it was my bottle or if that was intended but I dislike that quality.

Besides that, I thought there was almost a fusal alcohol quality about this beer and it was just undrinkable. Poured my glass down the drain because it was a poorly made beer overall.

Overall, one of the worst DIPAs I've had and I love the DIPA style but at $8 for a bomber, I felt robbed.

02-25-2012 22:29:53 | More by kornkid8600
HardTarget

3.93/5  rDev +5.1%

Appearance: Bright amber yellow glass with a bit of haze. Holds a solid white head and leaves lacing and tide marks on the glass.

Smell: Fresh cut grass, citric and earthy bitter on a base of malt. Hops are fresh and a bit floral, very inviting.

Taste: Lots of hop flavor but only a mild bitter. Deep flavor that doesn't get heavy. Really good job here finding balance while showing off some great hop tastes. Doesn't get acidic or tea like, just fresh squeezed hop juice.

Mouthfeel: A bit gassy to start but quickly boiled off to a fairly limp glass. Oily texture in a medium body.

Overall: Tasty beer. Some mild irritants like the carbonation and chill haze hold me back from really showing some love in the scores. Still, wouldn't mind having this again and am glad to see it on Texas shelves.

02-18-2012 03:25:22 | More by HardTarget
BeardedRiker

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

It's Valentine's Day and my being a single man, I knew the one thing that would satisfy me: a good beer. I have never seen Laughing Dog beers before and after checking BA, I saw that their beers have good reviews. This beer is a decent price too, at about $6. So, here we go with my first Laughing Dog beer.

The slowly-forming head gets thick and creamy, allowing for some to rise above the top of the glass, so there's some good retention. It's off-white and some stays on the surface after fizzing out. There is some fair lacing. The boozy concoction underneath is an amber-ish-orange color and clear. This is a very good-looking beer, and who wouldn't want something good-looking for Valentine's Day?

This smells delicious. Bright orange, peach, and slight tropical citrus combine with a nice, almost rye-ish spiciness. I've decided the spice is piney. The hops, while very citrusy, are also grassy. Malts bring a sort of brick oven-cooked breadiness. Yeast It's also a bit warm, most likely from the 8.5% ABV. I'm catching myself smelling this over and over. This smells different than most IIPAs/DIPAs I've had. It has a deep pine woods sort of smell.

I see some here complain that this is too hoppy of a beer. I don't agree. While it is certainly hoppy, it's complex enough to be balanced (for an IIPA). Much of what's in the smell comes through in the taste. The hops are strong, bitter, acidy, and bring out tropical fruitiness, heavy pine spice and resiny sweetness. There's plenty of malt and yeast to make this a deep and complex beer. That pine forest characteristic comes in and reduces the bitterness though the bitterness definitely sticks around. Let's get one thing straight. This is definitely hoppy but it doesn't have an insane bitterness. It's more of an earthy hoppiness that encompasses more of the smell and flavor rather than just being bitter. I find this IIPA exceptional in the truest sense of the word. Many IIPAs/DIPAs are pretty "clean" in their flavors. The Alpha Dog is not so much. It belongs in the woods!

This has a more heavy body than most beers of the style and I like that. Often IIPAs have more hops and more overall flavor. The Alpha Dog brings more body to the table, thanks to its malts and yeast. In the beginning the hops bring a strong dryness that's combated by the fruity and piney sweetness that lingers on and makes it slick. After drinking there's a bitter hop dryness that stays with you. The body is medium-high but there's some good medium carbonation that keeps it alive.

I'll be honest, this might not be one of my favorite IIPAs, but its characteristics are so different from most others that I'm finding it very interesting. I like it when I like a beer but then am surprised by it at the same time. That's why I say it's exceptional. I look forward to trying more Laughing Dog beers in the future.

02-15-2012 04:40:37 | More by BeardedRiker
twiggamortis420

3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

22 oz bomber pours a very clear, light copper/dark gold color with a very fine-bubbled white head. Very sticky lace and the retention is nice.

Juicy tropical and citric hops jump out right away. Not quite as vibrant and big as some of the finest of the DIPA ilk, but plenty nice. Malts and what I am assuming is yeast flash some caramel apple backdrop with a distinct hazelnut aspect. Interesting.

The light color of this beer disguises a fairly decent malt backdrop...has almost an earthy, maris otter feel to it. The hop flavor is a bit tamer than I would prefer, although it does drop lots of resin throughout the sip. Bitterness is pretty big on the back end and lingers long. Pretty good DIPA here, not quite top tier, but Id like to drink it again and quite a deal at 4.99 a bomber...too bad there is not a freshness date on the bottle.

02-15-2012 01:11:56 | More by twiggamortis420
jmdrpi

3.23/5  rDev -13.6%

22 oz bottle, no date.

appears slightly hazy, orangish golden color. thin white head that disipates to a frothy covering. strong aroma of piney hops. slight citrus.

taste doesn't have much malt, hops dominate - earthy pine is the stand out flavor. thin to medium body, with medium to high carbonation.

overall - just average for the style, needs more malt to back up the aggressive hopping in my opinion.

02-10-2012 04:22:53 | More by jmdrpi
bogus564

3.93/5  rDev +5.1%

22 fl oz, poured into a pint glass.

I have to work both days this upcoming weekend, so I can't get stewed tonight; I can enjoy one beer, though. Hopefully, I'll enjoy this, since I haven't had this before. Enough blather, let's get to it...

A: So far, so good - it looks just like an IPA. It's cloudy golden amber in color, with a thick head the color of an orange rind that doesn't hold for very long. I'll admit it; I might be intrigued.

S: Even better, it smells like an IPA. You can smell the hops, with a very nice citrus note. There's grapefruit, and there's a dark fruit, kind of pruny (but light). I'm ready for a drink.

T: Okay, I'm more than mildly impressed. It's very, very hoppy. All that I smelled earlier is confirmed, but the hops are clearly the Carmelo Anthony of this beer; they're not sharing the ball with anybody! I like the grapefruit in the second chair; I just wish they'd pumped up the volume on that characteristic. But that's just nitpicking, folks; I like it.

M: Good, almost very good. Light-bodied, well-carbonated, decent on the palate, but a finish that gives you a big ol' case of BITTER BEER FACE!

O: Pretty good beer. If I didn't have to get up early for work tomorrow, I'd have another one. It was great with my chicken parm sub. Cheers.

01-28-2012 01:51:10 | More by bogus564
chickenflea

3.4/5  rDev -9.1%

OK, I think I have reached my hop limit with this beer. And Perhaps, that was the goal here. But this beer is so bitter that the aftertaste destroys the experience. The only way to put out the fire is to drink more. But eventually one reaches the end of the bottle and must face the relentless bitterness. With a name like Alphadog, I guess I should have not expected less.

Pours a hazy dark golden orange color with a 1.5 finger frothy white head. Good retention, slowly fading into a lasting ring that leaves chunks of lace behind. Very earthy hop aroma with a strong pine and floral presence. There might be a small grainy component to the aroma as well. Texture is medium-full with average carbonation. Huge resinous, sticky pine needle flavor that dominates lingering over the sweeter notes. Lingering finish. If you love hops for hops sake, this is your beer. For a more balance brew, look elsewhere.

Note: this is my favorite style. But I think that this beer is on the fringes of the category.

01-08-2012 20:10:40 | More by chickenflea
czfreeman

Poured out of a 220z bottl, light murky golden-amber tone. Head is medium, nice carbonation as well as a substantial amount of carbonation.
Smell is almost yeast-like followed by a wave of citrus hoppiness. Orange, hint yuzu, a tart character almost reminescent of funky yeast. A nice slightly sweet malty backbone provideds a solid backdrop for the citric flavors to meld. I get a nice hint of pepper on the finsh. Overall not mindblowing but well put together.
Tangerine, black pepper, peppercorn, nice lingering spiciness, orange lemon, a tingling nice tartness, all come together to create a really good DIPA.
Nice spiciness on the finish I really appreciate, not becoming sticky-hoppy sweet in the least. This is nalo one of the most yeast-upfront DIPA's ive had.
Quite tasty, never have tried a beer from Laughing dog, don't what I've been waiting on now.

01-08-2012 06:34:08 | More by czfreeman
nitro0292

3.28/5  rDev -12.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy golden yellow. Ample sticky white head leaves solid lacing.

Smell is hops and yeast, almost smells like Brett. The yeast actually dominates.

Taste is not as yeasty as the smell implies. No real malt presence, but bitter American hops fight with the yeast to balance each other. Bitterness and yeast bite linger in the aftertaste. Meh.

Mouthfeel is fine, not overly carbonated, not syrupy or too thin.

Not sure what is going on with the yeast in this brew. Is this bottle conditioned? There is no bottle date, so I don't know if this taste is due to fading hops, too much yeast or just the way my palate tastes the blend of hops.

I want to like this...but I don't think I would get this again.

01-02-2012 01:52:51 | More by nitro0292
OWSLEY069

4.43/5  rDev +18.4%

Pours a hazy orange-ish to yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, orange citrus to a light pine. In the taste, sweet orange citrus to a pine dryness, again, tastes just like the smell. A small hop bite and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry orange citrus like aftertaste. Nice mix of orange citrus to pine and hides the ABV, a very nice beer.

12-31-2011 16:55:17 | More by OWSLEY069
Gehrig

4.38/5  rDev +17.1%

I obtained this at the magnificent Neil St. Piccadilly after it came highly recommended from JD the manager, Sam the sports maven and Doug the all-around good guy. Excellent call. Two fingers of white froth top a hazy copper-amber body with golden yellow trim. The lacing on the trusty Duvel tulip is so decorative that I cannot help but ponder if fate intervened to deliver such a scenic appearance this winter season. Excellent head duration to boot, with the dollop of foam in the middle arranged like a hurricane taking shape; stellar looking beer.

Good DIPA smells, not great, with plenty of lemon and orange rinds, grapefruit, grassy notes, and bits of caramel and biscuit hops peering around the hopped-up aromas.

Ah, this taste, soooo good. Grapefruit, tangerine, and the aforementioned rinds for zest make Alpha Dog a Hop Dog. Hop lovers will surely enjoy this, and malty notes bleed through this hop monster especially as it warms a bit. Nice caramel and toffee taste.

I like the mouthfeel...but I do think that it feels a bit thin. The resiny and somewhat gritty texture are pretty good, but for all the bold hop-driven taste, I expected the mouthfeel to be a bit bolder. This to me is where the malt makes its presence felt, and adds a distinct characteristic.

On the whole, Alpha Dog is sincerely tremendous beer that I will grab as soon as iy is available. A big, brash, brawny, hopped-up DIPA, this big dog loudly barks out the hops early and often.

Excellent.

12-22-2011 00:29:27 | More by Gehrig
CJfromPhilly

ALERT: Pour this with EXTREME care. When I poured this from the 22oz. bottle, it foamed like a Belgian on steroids! I had a glass full of foam with about 1/8 of an inch of beer at the bottom, it took over 10 minutes for the head to subside to the point where I could finish pouring. It turns out to have a cloudy apricot hue with the head settling into a rocky, pillowy lace. There are a couple of strings of bubbles rising upwards, but the carbonation seems low-key. The aroma is a strong blast of grapefruit-y, piney hops. 1st sip is a massive blast of hops...dry, citrus, pine flavored hops. There's also a slight hint of lemon rind. Malt flavors are pretty much non-existent. Carbonation is modest, leaving a pleasant sparkle on the tongue. The alcohol is pretty well hidden, or it may just be beaten into submission by all the hops. Overall, while i'm more malt-centric, I can see where this beer would be a hop head's delight!

12-18-2011 21:52:54 | More by CJfromPhilly
corby112

3.6/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Very earthy hop aroma with a strong piny presence. Slightly floral with faint citrus peel and pale malts. A bit one dimensional in the nose.

Chewy full body with a blast of extremely dry and bitter hops. Huge resinous, sticky pine needle flavor that dominates lingering over the sweetner notes and malt backbone into a bone dry finish. Subtle citrus, mostly grapefruit along with some caramel, toffee and biscuit. Not bad but could use more balance.

12-13-2011 03:37:28 | More by corby112
david18

3.03/5  rDev -19%

I recently submitted a review on a draft version I had. It's two reviews below.

I was more disappointed with the bottle version. I found it to be somewhat out of balance and very strong tasting, especially considering the relatively low abv for a double ipa.

11-16-2011 20:19:27 | More by david18
drpimento

Wisconsin

3.93/5  rDev +5.1%

Great little bro to the DD. I let this warm a bit out of the fridge. Poured with a very nice, cream colored, foamy, super frothy, head that slowly subsided and loads of lace. Color is a hazy amber with a couple of hard to find tiny bubble trails. Aroma is yeast, hop, wet grain, fruit, grass. Taste is like nose; not sweet, quite bitter, low carbonic tang. Body is good; carbonation subdued, and overall a bit soft. Finish is like flavor, fairly long and resiny.

10-27-2011 03:01:37 | More by drpimento
KOrtega

Oklahoma

3.28/5  rDev -12.3%

22oz bomber poured into a tulip glass (served at 57F)

A-Beer pours a hazy golden orange. Head starts off rocky and white then settles to a more frothy/creamy consistency as the head settles (which it settles fairly quickly). Only a small amount of lacing.

S-Citrus, acidic (grapefruit) aroma with subtle grassy and malt notes.

T-Starts off citrus/sourish with some salty hints. Through the finish the beer becomes more salty and bitter. There is also bitter citrus on the finish.

M-The beer stuck in the palate and lasted quite nicely. Not light but definitely not heavy.

O-I love Imperial IPAs, just not this one. I like, but not love, this one. The nose is fairly subtle with the beer, but the taste definitely is a good punch. The appearance is very appealing and would be intrigued if I saw this poured up at the bar. The lasting mellow bitter flavor makes this a nice, slow drink.

10-13-2011 03:57:38 | More by KOrtega