2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Alpha Dog Imperial IPA - Laughing Dog Brewing

Alpha Dog Imperial IPAAlpha Dog Imperial IPA

good

Laughing Dog Brewing visit their website
Idaho, United States

A true hop bomb brewed plenty of Columbus and Mt Hood hops for a piney hop character. Premium Pale, Honey and Munich malt make this beer a little less malty but packing plenty of hop punch.

(Beer added by: bitterthebetter on 02-14-2009)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alpha Dog Imperial IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 542 | Reviews: 293 | Show All Ratings:
Ozzylizard

3.1/5  rDev -17.1%

Undated bottle at 42 degrees into imperial pint
Aroma of weak pine and citrus
Head enormous – initial pour gave 13.5 cm of off-white creamy foam and only 1 cm of liquid. This slowly diminished to a 2 mm layer with a 3 cm center rising like a volcano from the ocean.
Lacing is good, covering about 50% of the glass surface, but in random patterns, no distinct rings
Body is medium orange with chill haze.
Flavor is very non-descript, with a little hop bitterness and a slight alcohol taste, ending quickly with an alcohol stomach warmth. No malt, no diacetyl, no discernable hop flavor.
Palate is medium, watery, and has lively carbonation

Overall, this is an OK beer. After the initial shock of a 13.5/1 head, as the hypercarbonation fell, the beer became very presentable with some head retention and that volcano-like final layer. Both the nose and flavor were very muted, but not like an old IPA, just one with either no hops (IBU = 126) or weak hop character. Frankly, I wouldn’t have guessed this was an IPA.

03-31-2014 12:37:32 | More by Ozzylizard
Boto

Connecticut

3.71/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22oz bomber: This one pours a clear, darker golden color. There was about a finger of off-white head on it that left minimal lacing. An interesting nose for a DIPA. It is a bit lighter than I would have expected. Earthy, musty and some floral notes. Sweet malts and some pine also. The taste is good. Not as bitter as I expected, but still a good bite. Lots of malts, minimal sweetness. Earthy, faint citrus. Good, but not quite up to sctartch with the rest of them.

03-13-2014 17:14:36 | More by Boto
kaufmaal

Alabama

4.08/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This one exploded out of the bottle, beer everywhere, lost about 1/3 of the bomber. Hazy golden color, starch-white very sizable head, good lacing. Smells like ripe bananas in a funky pine forest where sourdough is proofing. Earthy mineral taste, more pine resin, sweet orange rind and oil - lots going on. There's a farmhouse-ale mustiness to the whole thing that's quite fantastic; a bitterness that reminds me of chewing Tylenol. No noticeable alcohol flavor. Too much carbonation for me.

02-21-2014 04:14:59 | More by kaufmaal
pkalix

pours a dark gold. smells very sweet. taste is bitter. very little head upon a vigorous pour.
sweet malty aroma, sweet malty flavor. some hop bitterness.... decent brew.... but, this is NOT a bitter beer. 127 ibu? I don't think so. what' up with my tastebuds? sweet, caramel-like flavor. 4.0 across the board as far as i'm concerned. decent, but not extraordinary, but then, I DID a Pliny right before this....

01-20-2014 01:09:06 | More by pkalix
Hopster916

1.1/5  rDev -70.6%

It looked and poured beautifully. After that it was all downhill. Every sip tasted like I was drinking a liquid pepper. Truly wish I would have read the previous reviews before wasting money on this beer. I don't know what went wrong something is not right. I'm sure it's a bad batch, however based on this bottle I would never purchase another beer from Laughing Dog.

11-02-2013 02:04:59 | More by Hopster916
Brad007

Vermont

3.41/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Mild golden color with a decent head that coats the edges. It's a great trend to see IPAs and DIPAs that exhibit more pale than usual.

Lots of pine with little else in the nose. I'm a little disappointed because I like a lot of aroma in a DIPA.

Wicked strong pine bite dominates the palate. Nothing else that I can detect, other than a faint malt backbone.

Again, more of that old school pine bite at the back of the throat. Alcohol warmth too. Good thing I found this beer when I did.

In my experience with DIPAs, there are really two different schools: citrus-dominant and pine-dominant. This one falls in the latter category.

10-20-2013 02:41:39 | More by Brad007
SportsandJorts

3.54/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: an opaque orange. huge foamy head that takes way to long to foam down.

Smell: huge hoppy mess. some sweet malts and a bit of alcohol

Taste: hops, piney, tropical and resiny. sweet doughy malts. spicy alcohol

Mouthfeel: huge bitterness. heat from the alcohol. fairly heavy

Overall: a good hop bomb but just fails short in some departments for me, over foaming and too strong alcohol

10-12-2013 00:16:22 | More by SportsandJorts
kencarman

Tennessee

1.83/5  rDev -51.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2

We could hardly get through the bottle. In fact, we dumped it. I looked at some other reviews here and elsewhere and I get a sense they may have a production problem where an occasional bottle slips through.

This was pepper phenolics: not any hop or yeast driven sense like that. The best was the aroma, but the pepper was still there. Mouthfeel: pepper clinging to the roof of the mouth. Body: hard to tell, but I'm guessing moderate. Yellow/gold-ish color with good clarity. Head holds on and pillow in nature.

Honestly: it's hard to judge a beer that's so obviously a pepper bomb. On first taste we got just a slight sense of fruit that was whisked at warp 1000. So, we decided to Grolsch the rest and try it a few days latter. That didn't work: still like drinking liquid pepper.

One thing I must comment on: I noticed the score was high when I first looked here, and elsewhere, but a lot of threes, and even at least one 1 point something that had a similar complaint, though they thought it was a Belgian yeast, I'm guessing because that pepper funk can exist with certain Belgian yeasts. And another LD I reviewed on my own site had a similar problem: not defect, but ratings-wise... a lot of threes and a few scoring super, super high.

Let's just leave my comment on that at, "Interesting."

I'd love to know what a non-phenolic LDAD is like, but I rally have no interest in wasting my money, especially after choking down a pepper bomb.

09-27-2013 19:01:17 | More by kencarman
Ego

3.24/5  rDev -13.4%

ah, yet another DIPA... let's see if this is more bark than bite.

eyes...
monster head rising 3 full fingers on an easy pour, a quiet talker it is hanging around for some time before settling, dark straw in hue, a medium collection of carbonation is happening in the body, oddly the lacing is a bit spotty... a little lighter in color than most in this department but looks are not the end all be all

nose...
faint tropical fruit, an almost smoke like tone, a waft of yeast tone, some stinging nettles of pine are detected... but a pretty mellow endeavor

taste etc...
mild mannered, the hops signature is pine.. like in floor cleaners, medium body with nice prickly carbonation, the hops are really bugging me here, they are medicinal tasting especially in the aftertaste, it does hide the ABV well and it actually feels like a higher ABV (or maybe I am just getting daft in my old age), the body is probably the best trait of this brew

verdict?
nothing alpha about this, this is not the leader of the pack or even a top dog, or best in show, or some other bad dog tie in that I can not think of at the moment. I do not recommend this, it isn't a pour out but there are so many better options why bother

08-24-2013 04:35:59 | More by Ego
FLima

Brazil

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Amber color with a two finger thick head with medium retention but leaving lots of laces.
Different aroma mixing earthy notes with resin pined hops, condiments and hints of citrus and non-sweet mangos.
Interesting flavor of bold peppery yeasts, grapefruit, resin, honey and pine. All on a malty base with slightly toasted grains and a hint of smoked. Although it has 127 IBUs, it does not punch you right away in your face, but its bitterness level keep accumulating in your tasting buds, resulting in a dry aftertaste with a prolonged bitterness that does not go away.
Full body, a bit viscous and with low carbonation. 8% ABV is timid versus its flavors and mouth feel.
Superior brew for who likes intense experiences. Very unique and bold DIPA, kind of mutating a Dead Guy Ale into a DIPA. Spicy, hoppy, flavorful, creative, westy and relatively balanced, what else to ask? This is a treaty recommended for pros and hopheads. As Jim said, the west is the best.

08-24-2013 02:33:35 | More by FLima
Rafael_Mindu

Brazil

1.38/5  rDev -63.1%

I won't take it as general to this beer, and probably you that are reading this don't have too...
But my first bottle was in some way contaminated...
It smells like horse's shit and the taste goes the same way down =(
The smell remember me a little of some brett, but smelling it again, I know that there was something is wrong, I don't know.
And no!!! The sour's fans won't like it too, I'm pretty sure about that.

I'm looking forward for another bottle and try it again, but right now, I'm very disappointed with this beer.

08-23-2013 09:25:06 | More by Rafael_Mindu
tdm168

4.21/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A - bright orange with a big, tall, soft, pure white head that has great retention

S - sugary sweet malt, bread, batter, grapefruit

T - sugary malts, bread, faint cake batter, piney, bitter, some grapefruit

M - medium to full bodied, warming alcohol, well carbonated

This is a really nice DIPA. I'm impressed by the balance between sweet malts and and pungent hops. There is an intense bitterness here and the alcohol can be detected slightly, but the flavor profile is good enough that nothing seems to slow down my sipping. I really enjoyed this beer.

08-05-2013 19:16:59 | More by tdm168
JuicesFlowing

Kansas

3.36/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a balloon glass.

Look: Peach, lighter caramel color. Foamy white head leaves a film, good foamy lacing.

Aroma: Spicy, resin, faint sweetness, bitter citrus. Very boozy.

Taste: Something immediately off, kind of musty. Very sharp bitterness that covers up any malt sweetness. Sharp lemon juice finish.

Mouthfeel: Fairly dry.

Overall: Just something in the taste profile that puts it off.

07-06-2013 00:11:49 | More by JuicesFlowing
leaddog

4.35/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance - Pours an amber/copper with two fingers of frothy white head.

Smell - Citrusy and piney hops, tropical fruits, malts (caramalt), lemon, grapefruit.

Taste - Strong citrus/pine hops, citrus and tropical fruits, and caramel malts. Excellent high level of bitterness that carries citrus/pine qualities throughout to the finish.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Overall - An enjoyable and well-executed Imperial IPA by Laughing Dog. All qualities and characteristics of this style is met head on. This is a hophead's dream. One of the better Imperial IPAs that I've sampled recently.

06-09-2013 02:56:39 | More by leaddog
lordofthewiens

Maine

3.54/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

In a snifter this beer was an amber color with a small tan head. There was a little bit of lace.

Aroma was pine and citrus, with a little bit of caramel.

Taste followed form. Predominately pine, some grapefruit. Tiny bit of caramel.

A hop bomb. Malt very much in the background.

I'd try this again.

06-08-2013 21:28:04 | More by lordofthewiens
rickyleepotts

Arizona

3.31/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

I see this beer all the time at Total Wine & More, but have never bought it. Nothing from Laughing Dog has impressed me. But as I was reading this, and seeing how bitter is was going to be, I started to get excited. IBU stands for international bittering units, and this beer has an IBU of 127. That is REALLY high, considering most double/imperial India pale ales are around 100. The Palate Wrecker from Green Flash is 136 (some say 137 depending on the year) and that will pretty much destroy your palate. Regardless, 127 is enough to get me excited!

This is the only beer on the list from Laughing Dog Brewing. Let's hope the author picked a good offering from them. Bottoms up, people!

In the Glass: I would wait until the head goes down before I started reviewing this, but that might take 20 minutes! I did a hard pour on this bottle, and the head is a few inches tall. The suds are just sticking to the side of the glass like glue, too. Nothing beats an IPA with a thick sticky head! (So many things I say on this blog could be taken the wrong way… but trust me, always about the enjoyment of the beer.)

Nose: Today is April 1st, 2013. This beer was bottled on April 8th, 2012. The ABV is big enough this beer should have aged well, but I would love to try this fresh. Nothing beats a fresh IPA. For a beer with 127 IBU, I expected the aroma to be a little more powerful. Don't get me wrong, it still has a great aroma. But it isn't the hops that I was expecting. I will say, for the ABV and the size of this beer, $4.99 is a good value regardless of the flavor. Speaking of the flavor, let's drink!

Flavor: There are the hops I was expecting. They aren't overwhelming, but they are abundant. The flavor profile actually changes a few times over the course of a drink. At first, the hops are balanced and boring, but then toward the back of the palate the piney dryness kicks in and as you swallow it becomes almost grapefruit sweet. Then, as you continue to swallow, the hops begin to taste like pine cones. The dryness is really nice, leaving me begging for another sip. If you said, "Is that a double IPA?" I am not sure I would be able to tell you… again, not as powerful as I expected. I bet Sheryl hates it. She isn't into hops like me!

Mouthfeel: At first, it's boring. There isn't much going on at all. Then, as it slides across your palate, it begins to open up. As you do swallow, the flavor really explodes and a nice thin layer of bubbles leave your palate excited for a second (or third) drink. I swished the beer around, and the flavor, especially those sweet grapefruit notes, REALLY come out. That is actually a much better flavor. If you are drinking this, I highly recommend swishing it around in your mouth a little bit. You're welcome!

Aftertaste: The aftertaste is piney at first, but then it begins to turn a nice drying bittersweet flavor that I like in an IPA. I still wouldn't call this a double IPA, but I wouldn't call Hop Stoopid a DIPA, either. That beer has an IBU of 103, and it tastes like a boring pale ale. One of the only beers that brewing company makes that I dislike.

This is a good beer, don't get me wrong. But this is NOT a typical DIPA in my book. I asked Jazz if he has had this, and he didn't care for it. I am picky when it comes to barleywines… but I am REALLY pick when it comes to an IPA. But hey, I can't like them all. Where is the fun in that? Cheers, people!

04-01-2013 21:35:18 | More by rickyleepotts
Murrhey

Montana

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a standard pressure-cap bomber into a pint glass. No best-by date. I purchased it several weeks ago. It might be past the best date.

A- One-finger white head. Thick and sticky looking head. Cloudy amber color. Pretty low clarity. Nice looking DIPA.

S- Floral and honeyed. Nice smelling. Floral and sweet but with a definite alpha hop oil twinge.

T- Not a very aggressive DIPA, quite subtle and extremely well balanced. Honey and floral.

M- Medium bodied and semi-viscous.

O- Surprisingly good. Like really good. I was worried about drinking it too late and not getting the best out of it. I enjoy Laughing Dog quite a bit, and this does not disappoint.

03-23-2013 02:56:36 | More by Murrhey
biboergosum

3.89/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

22oz bottle. Nice to be able to finally try this one, after it being 'out of season' when I was at the brewery a few years back.

This beer pours a mildly hazy, medium golden straw hue, with two fingers of puffy, rocky, off-white head, which leaves a solid array of cobweb lace around the glass as it lazily sinks away.

It smells of musty grapefruit and orange rind, wet pine, bready, meaty caramel malt, further floral, spicy hops, and a soft twinge of warming alcohol. The taste is bitter, indistinct citrus pith, green pine needles, clammy caramel malt, a hint of burnt toffee, wild grass and fallow hay, black pepper dust, more subtle vegetal spice, and a very tame, suggestive boozy note.

The bubbles are averagely peppy, and duly supportive, the body a decently solid medium weight, and generally smooth, the pent-up hoppiness poking through here and there. It finishes barely off-dry, the mulchy and fruity hops more or less overwhelming the fading malt.

An approachable enough DIPA, the reigned in hop bitterness well wrought through the grassy analogue it assumes. Good, but overall a bit different than your standard (ly awesome) west coast hop and malt bombs, which is perhaps a welcome change, believe it or not. Worth a try, at the very least.

02-10-2013 00:23:52 | More by biboergosum
RoamingGnome

Wisconsin

3.64/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Alpha Dog Imperial IPA

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into an English dimpled pint. Served chilled.

A) Pale amber in appearance this beer had a nice frothy 2 finger head. Nice retention, slowly settling to a dusting. Nice lacing...

S) Lemongrass and some pepper, slightly floral, not really piney. A bit of farmhouse funk. Not bad, but not what I expected either.

T) Again, a bit grassy, seemed to have some citrus rind to it. Definitely some lemon. There was some spiciness to this beer. A bit of yeast too. The alcohol stayed fairly well hidden, becoming only slightly noticeable with some warmth. This reminded me of Saisons I've drank in the past. This one is plenty bitter, definitely not sweet, and a bit funky.

M) Medium bodied. This felt pretty well carbonated. Really pretty smooth, and easy drinking, despite a good jolt of zest. Finishes slightly dry and bitter.

O) An interesting take on an Imperial IPA. This was quite creative, and not what I expected at all. Not bad, but also not something I could see myself seeking out on a regular basis. Worth a try....

02-03-2013 05:25:42 | More by RoamingGnome
Joshpu

3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

Poured from a bottle into a duvel glass.

A: Poured a hazy golden orange with an off-white four finger head. Good amount of carbonation. Wow, the head hangs around forever.

S: Has a piney hop and grassy smell. A floral smell with maybe a spice.

T: Wow very different... It has this spicy grassy kind of taste. Very piney hop/spicy bitter taste.

M: Medium bodied, it's pretty easy to drink, pretty crisp and dry. It does feel pretty well carbonated.

O: Overall it's an okay beer, it's definitely different so it has that going for it. I'm sure they have loyal followers or people that like this taste, but its just not really my style. It just has this weird sort of grassy/spicy flavor to it. Maybe I got an old one, but there's no date so I would have no clue.

01-25-2013 06:52:24 | More by Joshpu
vitALEity

2.64/5  rDev -29.4%

First thing about this beer is the ridiculous frothy, head. Like 4 inches in a 16oz. tulip. The head does not ever dissipate. Seriously, after 10 minutes its still there. Smell is grass, some orange, sweet breads, plastic. There is a lot of plastic on the nose to this one. Very little pine or citrus the way I like my IIPA's to smell. Mouthfeel is fine, mild carbonation. Too me, it tastes more sweet then bitter. It has 120 or something IBU so I would have expected a lot more bitter. The bitter hits you on the middle-back of the tongue but its not overwhelming at all. there is something just not balanced about this flavor, hard to describe. Doesnt taste like any other IIPA Ive had (Ive had hundreds). Anyway, meh.

01-23-2013 01:13:46 | More by vitALEity
ummswimmin

3.63/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

I poured this bomber into a tulip style glass. This dog is hazy, orange in coloring. The foam was about two-and-a-half fingers. The sticky foam led to some decent lacing on the glass.

The nose on this beer is very interesting. I get a decent dose of some unusual spice. I don't know what that is. There is also some flowery hops in there.

I'm a little mixed on the flavor. It is different, but not unpleasant. This reminds me more of the Saison Du Buff collaboration between Stone, Victory, and DFH. The hop presence is good, but the spicyness comes through really strong. The balance is a little off.

The mouthfeel is a little challenging with the amount of bitterness involved. This dog is definitely challenging to drink.

01-15-2013 19:07:40 | More by ummswimmin
hoppyserpent

Georgia

1.65/5  rDev -55.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.75

This was one of the three worst tasting beers that I have had so I hope I simply quaffed a bottle from a bad batch. Starting off, the golden color and generous head were quite nice, but the "off" aroma had me wondering if I had dead rats in the walls. I took a swig and then another. The mouthfeel was silky, but the taste had a tinge of spoiled meat. I'm a hop nut and bitterness was not the issue. I also like a wide variety of brews from stout to Belgian to wheat. This was something else entirely and completely off putting to me. At least in this bottle, the hints of pine others have noted were more like eating a terpentine-laden pine cone. No exageration.

01-12-2013 00:50:03 | More by hoppyserpent
metter98

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

A: The beer is very hazy yellowish amber in color and has a moderate amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a quarter finger high dense beige head that has excellent retention properties and consistently left a short head covering the surface along with a coating of bubbles running down the sides of the glass.
S: There are moderate aromas of pine resin hops in the nose along with some notes of citrus hops and caramel malts.
T: The taste is similar to the smell but a little more rounded out between pine resin hops and caramel malts. There are some hints of citrus and a moderate to strong amount of bitterness, the latter of which lingers through the finish.
M: It feels medium-bodied and crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation. The hops lend a little bit of dryness to the finish.
O: This beer has a good balance between the malts and hops, making it rather drinkable for a bitterness of 127 IBUs. The alcohol is also very well hidden from the taste.

12-21-2012 01:12:10 | More by metter98
joemcgrath27

4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

from notes a couple months back
A - slightly hazy dark golden, solid head retention and outstanding full sheet lacing down the glass
S - earthy piney resin, light orange zest, biscuit and caramel underneath
T - very much like the nose with resin and citrus hoppiness dominating early and maltiness of toast and caramel holding its own, not necessarily balanced but big flavours fighting to make themselves known
M - creamy smooth carbonation, medium body, slightly resiny with a solid bitter finish
O - was a bit on the downside of tipsy when I took this down and made some notes, but was extremely pleased with the purchase and hope that this makes its way to western Canada in the near future

12-06-2012 22:28:58 | More by joemcgrath27