Alpha Dog Imperial IPA - Laughing Dog Brewing

Alpha Dog Imperial IPAAlpha Dog Imperial IPA

good

Laughing Dog Brewing visit their website
Idaho, United States

A true hop bomb brewed plenty of Columbus and Mt Hood hops for a piney hop character. Premium Pale, Honey and Munich malt make this beer a little less malty but packing plenty of hop punch.

(Beer added by: bitterthebetter on 02-14-2009)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Alpha Dog Imperial IPA Alström Bros
2.5/5  rDev -33%

Kevin72, Oct 08, 2013

RyanAU, Oct 08, 2013

apasternak, Sep 30, 2013

HattedClassic, Sep 29, 2013
1.83/5  rDev -50.9%

We could hardly get through the bottle. In fact, we dumped it. I looked at some other reviews here and elsewhere and I get a sense they may have a production problem where an occasional bottle slips through.

This was pepper phenolics: not any hop or yeast driven sense like that. The best was the aroma, but the pepper was still there. Mouthfeel: pepper clinging to the roof of the mouth. Body: hard to tell, but I'm guessing moderate. Yellow/gold-ish color with good clarity. Head holds on and pillow in nature.

Honestly: it's hard to judge a beer that's so obviously a pepper bomb. On first taste we got just a slight sense of fruit that was whisked at warp 1000. So, we decided to Grolsch the rest and try it a few days latter. That didn't work: still like drinking liquid pepper.

One thing I must comment on: I noticed the score was high when I first looked here, and elsewhere, but a lot of threes, and even at least one 1 point something that had a similar complaint, though they thought it was a Belgian yeast, I'm guessing because that pepper funk can exist with certain Belgian yeasts. And another LD I reviewed on my own site had a similar problem: not defect, but ratings-wise... a lot of threes and a few scoring super, super high.

Let's just leave my comment on that at, "Interesting."

I'd love to know what a non-phenolic LDAD is like, but I rally have no interest in wasting my money, especially after choking down a pepper bomb.

kencarman, Sep 27, 2013

Asics, Sep 26, 2013

DmanGTR, Sep 12, 2013

ChipMurray, Sep 06, 2013

davet100, Aug 30, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

twax, Aug 24, 2013
3.24/5  rDev -13.1%

ah, yet another DIPA... let's see if this is more bark than bite.

eyes...
monster head rising 3 full fingers on an easy pour, a quiet talker it is hanging around for some time before settling, dark straw in hue, a medium collection of carbonation is happening in the body, oddly the lacing is a bit spotty... a little lighter in color than most in this department but looks are not the end all be all

nose...
faint tropical fruit, an almost smoke like tone, a waft of yeast tone, some stinging nettles of pine are detected... but a pretty mellow endeavor

taste etc...
mild mannered, the hops signature is pine.. like in floor cleaners, medium body with nice prickly carbonation, the hops are really bugging me here, they are medicinal tasting especially in the aftertaste, it does hide the ABV well and it actually feels like a higher ABV (or maybe I am just getting daft in my old age), the body is probably the best trait of this brew

verdict?
nothing alpha about this, this is not the leader of the pack or even a top dog, or best in show, or some other bad dog tie in that I can not think of at the moment. I do not recommend this, it isn't a pour out but there are so many better options why bother

Ego, Aug 24, 2013
4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Amber color with a two finger thick head with medium retention but leaving lots of laces.
Different aroma mixing earthy notes with resin pined hops, condiments and hints of citrus and non-sweet mangos.
Interesting flavor of bold peppery yeasts, grapefruit, resin, honey and pine. All on a malty base with slightly toasted grains and a hint of smoked. Although it has 127 IBUs, it does not punch you right away in your face, but its bitterness level keep accumulating in your tasting buds, resulting in a dry aftertaste with a prolonged bitterness that does not go away.
Full body, a bit viscous and with low carbonation. 8% ABV is timid versus its flavors and mouth feel.
Superior brew for who likes intense experiences. Very unique and bold DIPA, kind of mutating a Dead Guy Ale into a DIPA. Spicy, hoppy, flavorful, creative, westy and relatively balanced, what else to ask? This is a treaty recommended for pros and hopheads. As Jim said, the west is the best.

FLima, Aug 24, 2013
1.38/5  rDev -63%

I won't take it as general to this beer, and probably you that are reading this don't have too...
But my first bottle was in some way contaminated...
It smells like horse's shit and the taste goes the same way down =(
The smell remember me a little of some brett, but smelling it again, I know that there was something is wrong, I don't know.
And no!!! The sour's fans won't like it too, I'm pretty sure about that.

I'm looking forward for another bottle and try it again, but right now, I'm very disappointed with this beer.

Rafael_Mindu, Aug 23, 2013

JTomczak, Aug 07, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +13.9%

adhallick, Aug 06, 2013
4.21/5  rDev +12.9%

A - bright orange with a big, tall, soft, pure white head that has great retention

S - sugary sweet malt, bread, batter, grapefruit

T - sugary malts, bread, faint cake batter, piney, bitter, some grapefruit

M - medium to full bodied, warming alcohol, well carbonated

This is a really nice DIPA. I'm impressed by the balance between sweet malts and and pungent hops. There is an intense bitterness here and the alcohol can be detected slightly, but the flavor profile is good enough that nothing seems to slow down my sipping. I really enjoyed this beer.

tdm168, Aug 05, 2013