The Dogfather (Bourbon Barrel Aged) - Laughing Dog Brewing

The Dogfather (Bourbon Barrel Aged)The Dogfather (Bourbon Barrel Aged)

good

Laughing Dog Brewing visit their website
Idaho, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.85% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: brownbeer on 12-21-2009

Over 11 months in the making some of the Dogfather is bourbon barrel aged.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 429 | Reviews: 159

3.8/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Bottle into snifter

Appearance - Pure black, 1 finger white sandy colored head leaving a ring once settled

Smell - Roasted milk chocolate, coffee with cream and bourbon.

Taste - Dark chocolate to start, leading you in to a roasty coffee flavor with bitterness from the initial chocolate flavor. Alcohol at the end with definite bourbon flavors. Woody, smoky and balanced nicely.

Mouthfeel - Medium to heavy carbonation, full bodied, thick, satisfying but not quite refreshing.

Overall - I thought this beer was good. I was surprised to find out how much this beer carries chocolatey characteristics in the nose and taste. It's the first time I've had a Dogfather and I will defintely be buying it again.

4.75/5  rDev +27.3%

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

3.89/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2011 vintage

a - poured a three-fingers thick coffee-colored head into a snifter that left great lacing throughout. the body was dark black.
s - chocolate and oak with a little bourbon heat.
t - woody with dark fruits. slight booziness.
m - slick, medium mouthfeel.
o - solid RIS.

2.82/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

A: Poured very dark into a Belhaven pint glass. Head was about an inch and a half thick and light brown

S: Coffee and bourbon

T: Bitter with lots of coffee/chocolate flavor and definitive notes of bourbon whiskey. Slightly sweet on the finish

Mouthfeel: Smooth, and kind of thick. Typical of most ales of this type

O: Not really my cup of tea. I have friends who absolutely love this one (the 10.85% ABV doesn't hurt), but I prefer hoppier beers like IPAs. If you're in the mood for a really dark beer to warm you up, this one might be for you

4.11/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Once the beer achieved a more-proper temperature, I began to enjoy this beer a lot. Is there anything exceptional (by definition different) about this beer? No, but to me it is a solid stout (to my liking) that is not overpowered by the flavors of barrel-aging.

The pour is the typical dark, with tan-to-brown edge head. The smell is classic roasted malt mocha chocolate, maybe some roasted hazelnut, and a bit of wood. Very solid.

The taste follows the nose pretty well, perhaps a little more bitter - the mocha is more dark-roast coffee in nature. This lasts more or less throughout the taste, but is eventually joined by a light by encompassing feel/taste of the barrel aging, heavier on the woodiness than the bourbon, which works for me. My only downside to this is that the wood tastes "green", our young. There is also a hint of alcohol that starts early and lingers, but is far from overpowering.

This fits my definition of stout fairly well. It was bourbon-barrel-aged, and if you like the bourbon side of the style, this may disappoint. I prefer the more subdued notes from such aging, so rate this highly (for me).

Edit: had 2014 version of this, smell and taste had more bourbon bite, and even though my tastes have also changed, I re-iterate need this to be basically near room temp. Also I reduced rating slightly, mainly because feel wasn't as good as I'd want.

4.38/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I had the 2012 and it was not good. Too thick, too bourbony, too bitter, too heavy.

So I was naturally hesitant to have the 2013. But I got a free sample and I was blown away. Much more sessionable/ drinkable this year. It is much much improved. The nose pops with bourbon, malts, chocolate and vanilla. The taste has a creamy dark chocolate, malt and surprisingly strong notes of coffee.

The feel is lighter and smoother than last years, but as a bourbon barrel stout it is naturally heavy-bodied.

When given the option to have this or the goose island BCBS, I would think twice.

3.2/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

If you like the taste of bourbon, this beer will deliver a mouthful. The low price, name, and label made me really want to appreciate this bourbon aged imperial that no one was talking about.

S: You can practically smell the sweet booze from this guy across a room. My girlfriend took a whiff and didn't want to try it (not unexpected); I took a smell and couldn't wait to try it.
T: Taste was full on pancake syrup like bourbon (I mean that in a good way), very sweet and boozy. Unfortunately, there are not many layers of flavors here.
M: It's mouth feel was that of a milk stout, very light wash on the tongue.

That being said, I am very curious to see how this beer ages, so I picked up three bottles.

3.93/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

There's an interesting contrast between this beer fresh (so to speak) and with 2 years more age on it. There may be the most difference from aging of all the beers I've thus experimented on to date.

The pour reveals a thick and viscous beer, easily judged as likely to be an imperial Stout just from the look. it also reveals a fat, heavy, rocky tan head almost two fingers tall with good retention that deposits lacing in creamy patches that spread, leg and web out pretty nicely.
The smell is giving me roast, dark barley grains and something almost like malted milk balls with a creamy sort of sweetness. A bit of smoke and char peek through. Initially, the bourbon isn't as noticeable as in many similarly aged beers aside from a bit of wood and slight alcoholic warmth. Masking of alcohol, so long as it's not overdone, works better in the original than in a bourbon barrel-aged rendition.
This beer has a big base of strong malts, lots of roast coming through with unbrewed coffee grounds and a bit of dark and milk chocolate. Roast is the main event, though, even as some wood brings a little char into the finish. Alcoholic warmth is present but low, and the barrel provides a little vanilla but not too much. Hops are subdued for what's claimed, though there's more bitterness than just what the roast and char provide that works well to integrate itself and does balance well.
There's a mix of sweetness contributing to the body and dryness from wood as well as alcohol. Fresh, it doesn't get to express everything there is and there's slightly too much bite. Further aging smooths it out beautifully and provides a rich, creamy texture. Honestly, they would produce a better beer if they let it sit after the barrel again for two years in steel (or even bottles) and then releasing it, though it is good.

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

3.7/5  rDev -0.8%

22oz into a CS snifter.

A- Black non transparent. Thin layer of lacing around the glass. Some head in the middle of the glass.

S- I can't put my finger on it, but it is a sweet smell. Charred dark fruits, chocolate, molasses and I think the sweet is from the bourbon I guess.

T- Again, it comes off sweet; almost like some honey was in this. The taste isn't bad, it is just so different from all other BA stouts that I have had. Chocolate, molasses and bourbon heat top this off.

M- Pretty thin, but not that big of a problem. Some carbonation follows down the throat.

O- I probably have this rated higher than others. I did not have a big problem with this one. Would much rather have than Dragon's Milk.

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
The Dogfather (Bourbon Barrel Aged) from Laughing Dog Brewing