Laughing Dog Rocket Dog Rye IPA - Laughing Dog Brewing

Laughing Dog Brewing visit their website
Idaho, United States

Beer added by: John_M on 11-08-2008

1.12/5  rDev -69.3%

Rocket Dog is by far the worst beer I have ever had.

Laughing Dog should be ashamed of them-selves for putting this product on the market. It is absolutely disgusting and disrespectful to consumers who are unfortunate enough to be dooped into trying it.

Rocket Dog SMELLS LIKE SOMEONE TOOK A DUMP IN A URINAL. I wish that was an over exaggeration, but it is not. It tasted just as fool as it smelled. In fact, I still question if what I tried was actually beer or if some disgruntled brewery worker filtered urine threw feces and put it in a bomber.

1.56/5  rDev -57.3%

Took a gamble on this one when I saw it at the local shop....and the gamble didn't pay off. Not a great nose to begin with, and the flavor is not appetizing to say the least. I've tried quite a few Rye IPAs this year, and this one is hands down the worst of the bunch. It has some similar characteristics of a belgian IPA (I'm guessing a belgian yeast is used) so if that's your thing, perhaps you'll like it. Unfortunately, the bottle only advertises the hop and malt bill. Sorry, but can't recommend this one.

1.75/5  rDev -52.1%

This pours absolutely gorgeous. Bronze body and creamy inch and a half head. The first sign of trouble arrives the instant I smell it. Whoa, the nose could easily double for the smell of microwave popcorn. There's so much butter here I feel fatter just having smelled it. Diacetyl city baby.

Hoping for the best I take a sip and it's a no go. The butter barbarians have conquered anything that might have tried to carve out a living here. Two sips and this bad boy is fed to the drain like liquefied pennies. Thanks for nothing I guess.

1.81/5  rDev -50.4%

I disliked this beer.

Smelled like wet dog and hops, with a side of flowers. Just a mess.

The taste was the smell magnified by 10. I had to pour a 22 oz. bomber down the sink because i couldn't bear the taste of this one. Will never drink this again, and would question the judgement of anyone who likes this beer.

1.93/5  rDev -47.1%

Poured from a refrigerated bomber purchased in Memphis, TN for $10. Not my first choice, but the distro here is terrible and it was one of the only things not available to me in MN or WI.

A: Pours a hazy golden straw with a slightly below average head which quickly dissipates, bubbles are fat and soapy. Very minimal lacing.

S: Whoa, this does not smell like an IPA. Lots of tart, unripe tropical fruits, malt vinegar, hint of grain and yeast. Is this a lambic?

T: Falls FAR from the tree here. The sour, back of the tongue tartness was way off for the style, and quite frankly unpleasant. I can't really pick out the flavors here, but it tastes like pineapple that went bad. There is some pine hops and malt hidden beneath the strange funkiness.

M: Moderate carbonation, fairly thin and it doesn't stick around long. Bitter and tart on the back of the tongue.

O: This beer has to be infected. I don't know what happened here, but this was a total drain pour for me. I tried to appreciate it for what it had, not for what it was supposed to be, but I just couldn't do it. One of the worst IPAs I have ever had. I hope it was just a bad bottle.

2.04/5  rDev -44.1%

My brother must have been out of his dome when he bought this. Rocket Dog? Wtf? I'll tell you one thing; Rocket Dog ain't come to save a hot dog thing. Smell, taste, appearance... everything, just nasti nasti.

Raul don't like it. Raul don't like it at all.

2.06/5  rDev -43.6%

Always like a Rye IPA but this definitely missed the mark. Like one previous reviewer, the yeast overpowers any hint of rye, or hop for that matter. The head is out of control. If anything, I'd let it go flat before I drank it again. Disappointment all around.

2.62/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Served from a bomber from Springhill Wines into a standard shaker (best by date of 5/12/13) on 3/20/13. First of all the beer foamed over like a coke bottle full of mentos, so maybe this is not a good batch. I said this about their Sneaky Pete offering as well, so maybe it's just a matter of poor bottling; I dunno. Anyway, after the foam subsided, the beer poured a fairly nice cloudy orange with a generous amount of haze. The head was cloudy and rocky white with good lacing overall. The nose, however, was very underwhelming. For an IPA, the nose was very quiet. There were some citrus notes of hops around, but it was almost belgian smelling. It was hard to place. There was also some rye spice to the nose, but the off-belgian smell was just flat in your nose like overfermented fruit juice. The taste was still a lot like a fermented fruit and very belgian-like. The hops were more present with some good bittering overall, but the flavor just didn't sit great. The rye spice was even more evident, which I think gave it the only endearing quality of the beer. Mouthfeel had good smooth body and good carbonation. Maybe I am just 2/2 unlucky with Laughing Dog, but I can't say that I'll be rushing to try more of their beers any time soon. I'll eventually try it again, just to see if I got bad batches, but I am just not impressed.

2.69/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Another tick shared by Bobby...

A: The pour is pale gold in color with a huge white head and some sticky lacing.

S: I'd almost say this beer reeks of green apple. Not much in the way of pleasant hop aromas, but there is some grass and straw, maybe a few light floral notes. A touch of sweetness from cracker malts.

T: A few light fruit notes, but other wise we're back to the green apple. Despite being sub-7%, there is some perceptible alcohol flavor. A touch of toasted malt, a little bit of citrus peel, and some green melon.

M: The body is medium and the carbonation is medium to high.

O: Not sure what happened here, but I don't like it.

2.78/5  rDev -23.8%

Fresh dated bomber.
Looks like a bud light. Smell is just meh I can't really pick up on anything specific. Could have fooled me labeling this as a rye, i really don't taste it at all. It's drinkable but doesn't stand out at all. Don't mean to hate on it just nothing special thats all.

2.83/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Chilled bomber into a glass. A generous gift from ramnuts. Thanks, Frank!

A: Pours a clear, apricot-gold body with a finger of long-lasting white foam. Nice, sticky lace in the first half of the glass.

S: Lots of pine. LOTS of it, and there's something vegetal about the aroma that I can't quite place. It's earthy and even slightly floral. I don't get much malt in the nose, either normal or rye variety.

T: Incredibly piney -- lots of that flavor plus a strong, associated earthy and floral bitterness. It completely kills any attempt at tasting malt or rye in the beer; I don't get any of the telltale, spicy bite that would signal use of rye. It just tastes like bitter hop juice.

M: Light-medium bodied. Low carbonation for the style. It's not particularly active on the tongue. Dry finish. And it's incredibly bitter...

D: I'm underwhelmed; for a rye beer this totally lacks any rye presence. At least I can tell it's fresh, judging by how hoppy it is...

2.91/5  rDev -20.3%

Bought at Total Wine in Claymont DE.

Poured into a beer mug. Easily 2-3 finger thick yellowish white head that lingered quite a while.
Very golden.
Nothing remarkable in the smell, didn't smell super fresh, just the malt/slight rye scent, maybe a very slight piney/citrus but minimal.

The taste was very bready, in fact I almost felt like I had eaten a piece of garlic bread after the first 2-3 sips. The rye spice is present but not powerful. The hops are slight and unremarkable.
Citrus, maybe grapefruit and a lemongrass flavoring present as well with the breadiness.

Mouthfeel is pretty weak, it's not unpleasant but not what I come to expect in an IPA, especially Rye.

It's not very good in my opinion, it's not terrible but I think there's a room for improvement if they remarket this. Maybe I just got an older bottle (date on it is 7/2012) and some of the normal 'charm' that this could carry have faded.

2.93/5  rDev -19.7%

22 ounce bottle - $5.99 at Total Wine & More in Kennesaw, Georgia.

Appearance: Pours a clear, golden body with a whitish, frothy head of acceptable size.

Smell: Pale, golden malts with a resinous hop scent, some light spice, and a vague suggestion of pithy citrus peels.

Taste: Relatively pale malted barley, a hint of dry, toasted grains, and a selfish, seedy whisper of golden syrup sweetness. Citrusy hops, some resinous pine, and just a small, telltale trace of a vegetal, weedy element that has you, at times, go "huh" and at other times, go "guh". Medium-high bitterness. A decidedly dry finish with that weedy hint still lurking around.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Yes, with some silken elements to the overall mouthfeel.

Overall: Pass. RDR-IPA is not entirely, totally undrinkable, but not nearly sufficient enough to compel one to drink it, either. And where was the rye? Laid off, perhaps. These are tough times, even for malt bill ingredients.

look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Hazy, golden in appearance with a tight bubbled white head. Pour reveals over-carbonation. Big four finger head that takes a few minutes to die down. Murky, not clear and was expecting more color to this one.

Lemongrass, earthy spice, mild citrus hop profile in the aroma. Smells a bit yeasty though, phenolic. Tart, green, citrus, and a touch floral.

Palate follows the aroma pretty well. Citrus and earthy spice up front lend way to a building lemongrass flavor that builds and meets a mild pine character and drying bitterness in the finish.

Over-carbonated. Dry finish, medium body. Not worth revisiting.

3.02/5  rDev -17.3%

22 oz bottle (thanks Duncan) with a 18 July 2012 bottling date served in a snifter.

Poured a hazy apricot color with a good sized and durable off-white head that leaves ample lacing. The aroma is fruity, which would be nice except it doesn’t mix well with the rye and hop aromatics. The mix works better in creating a rich flavor. Has a very smooth and nicely full feel but turns a bit too acidic in the finish.

O: more like a Belgian rye pale ale than expected. Quite yeasty and the mix of rye, malts and hops did not work for me.

3.11/5  rDev -14.8%

Golden pour, slightly hazy. Rocky white foam head that persists. Some lacing clings to the glass.

Smells earthy, wet cardboard, herbal.

Taste has a flash of citric hop which is quickly buried by earthy, herbal elements which are overwhelming and not that great. Not getting a lot of spice from the rye. Finish is clean. Body is medium and holds together. Carbonation medium.

This is a mess of a rye. Not something I'd care to revisit.

3.14/5  rDev -14%

From the 650 ml. bottle. I'm not sure why I did not inspect it in the store but it has a bottling date of 3/7/13! So I am drinking it on December 27, 2014. And it shows.

Pale yellow color with an overwhelming white fluffy head.

Mildly hopped, aroma but there is also a touch of toasted biscuit and some yeast notes.

Decent medium body.

Because of the age of this bottle the hops were more muted. I did get a solid enough rye, grain character but the hop bitterness had faded substantially. Not knowing how it tastes fresh I am not sure if the hops were more forward than what I got. Despite its age I drank all of it.

3.14/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

As Immortale said, exactly.

My 22 oz bottle was a very interesting, not nasty, but NOT Rye IPA beer. It was fully sour and Brett fermented. Sorry, but it shouldn't even be rated in a serious way when in this condition.

IF you like a Brett beer, this would be quite a solid offering. Hard to believe when its condition must be fully accidental!

3.15/5  rDev -13.7%

A: Pours a pale orange/hone color. A one finger white head forms, but recedes in a minute. Light lace.
S: Hope resin. Syrupy pine aromas. Bready malts from the rye I assume, and burnt sugars.
T: Huge hop flavor up front. Bitter, resinous, syrupy and sticky. Pine resin, really not much else. No rye character here to help balance anything out.
M/D: A medium to full body that is low on the carbonation. Really sticky and resinous. The massive amount of hops, resin and bitterness makes this hard for me to drink.

No rye at all to balance out the huge syrupy and piny hops. Just to much for me. Not something I am coming back to.

3.18/5  rDev -12.9%

Light honey gold pour with pillowy white cream head, 2 fingers worth. Decent retention and very light lace. Light carbonation.

Strong, tinny rye malt nose with resiny hops backing that up.

Stronger rye malt taste, but there's a stronger metallic aspect to the beer too. Not terrible, but off-putting. Whiff of resiny hops in the finish, but more rye than bitter.

Body is a bit oily, but need more umph to it. Not quite heavy enough.

I've liked other LD beers, but this one doesn't quite meet the standard.

3.2/5  rDev -12.3%

This pours a very pale gold with a nice frothy white head that leaves chunky lace. On the nose there is caramel and faint hops along with wet grain, but not the spice that I usually find in rye IPAs. In the mouth there is an immediate caramel malt note that really overshadows any hops or rye except at the very back end. The body is medium with a bitterness that wasn't present before coming out a bit.

Overall, this beer just lacks the cohesion I like in rye IPAs. It's one flavor followed by another, rather than a pleasant intermixing.

3.22/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a Dogfish Spiegelau glass. Label says Bottled 1/28/13

A- Pours a light amber color with a towering four inch off-white head that's probably due to the bottle conditioning. The head eventually subsides and is fluffy and bumpy on its way down. Sudsy clumps of lacing stick to the glass.

S- Uh-oh. Nevermind the bottle conditioning; this beer's infected for sure. All I smell is green olive from what seems to be a Brettanomyces yeast infection. No hops, no rye. Luckily, I like Brett.

T- Taste is much of the same but with a bit of hop bitterness. It's not unpleasant, it's actually kind of enjoyable but definitely not the way a Rye IPA is supposed to taste like since there's zero rye malt detected or any kind of malt for that matter.

M- A bit dry and bitey from the hops. Medium-high carbonation and a lightish body.

O- I wonder if this is a common occurrence for this beer since, a year and a half ago, I actually had a bottle literally explode on me and I never got a chance to try it. Now, once I finally decided to revisit it, I realize why the previous bottle exploded. Buyer beware.

3.22/5  rDev -11.8%

This beer pours a hazy golden color with a finger of foamy head that leaves significant lacing as you drink. The aroma has a slight amount flowery hops and a lot of buttery notes. The taste however has notes of citrusy hops and then some butteriness... Hinting that this bottle needed a little more aging. The mouthfeel and finish is smooth... Overall worth a try.

3.24/5  rDev -11.2%

Beer pours a shade of pale straw, completely clear, and appears very watery and one dimensional. Tons of bubbles rise throughout and feed a thick, soapy 1 finger white head that leaves behind tons of thick, pillowy lace.

Really no nose to speak of. There's the slightest hint of sappy hops, but that's a stretch.

I don't know if it's the rye or it's the hops, but there is a strange and undeniably distinct dominating flavor of radishes - yes, radishes - in this beer. It is most present right after swallowing and hangs around prominently in the aftertaste. Normally something like this would take me a while to place in the flavor of a beer, but this is quite evident to me. After getting over the initial confusion, I start to notice more dimensions in the beer. The malts are crispy and toasted. The slick dankness in the flavor comes from the earthy, sappy hops. There's a slightly watery yet sappy feel to this beer that suffers a little from overly gentle carbonation. Alcohol shows more in the profile than expected from the ABV.

I know I haven't made this beer sound all the amazing, but it is decent. The imbalance of the flavors and the carbonation that doesn't seem to pair well with the style drops the drinkability overall for me, but it isn't terrible. Just thought it could have been better.

3.24/5  rDev -11.2%

Another new brewery in Minnesota, bearing one of my favorite things - rye! Always up for a new rye, especially when I know it's birthday. Bottle dated 5/4/12, so props for that. 22 oz. bomber split in two.

Pour is a faded yellow, cloudy. Smell is flat-out pretty. Lots of earthy rye, bitter citrus, grassy. Great way to kick this one off.

Rocket Dog slips on the way to from nose to taste buds. The rye is up front, but it's earthy & rather dull. The hops sing back-up with flowery bitterness, but not a lot of either. Herbal & grassy on the finish bucks the rest of the beer. Glad I'm sharing this bomber.

This turned from exciting to not in a single sip. The tastes are all on mute, & what's there seem to be fighting one another. Great nose; the rest, bland. Only the nose saves it from being precisely mediocre.

Laughing Dog Rocket Dog Rye IPA from Laughing Dog Brewing