Laughing Dog Rocket Dog Rye IPA - Laughing Dog Brewing

Laughing Dog Rocket Dog Rye IPALaughing Dog Rocket Dog Rye IPA

good

Laughing Dog Brewing visit their website
Idaho, United States

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-22-2010)
4.13/5  rDev +14.1%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a yellow-orange color and a cloudy texture. There was an absolutely massive, creamy, extremely long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: A nice aroma of hops, citrus, and some malt as well.

T: Tasted of hops (not a huge amount, but just enough), a little citrus (grapefruit), malt, and the advertised rye. Not a groundbreaking flavor, but lively and certainly focused.

M: A highly carbonated beer with a dry, smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

O: A wholly enjoyable, well made, drinkable beer.

avalon07, Apr 16, 2012
3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. No dating info that I could find. It was a cloudy, golden yellow color with good carb streams. It had a large, foamy white head that slowly settled into a constant, thick foam cap. Tons of sheeting with lots sticking.

The aroma was grassy/floral hops with some pine and just a hint of the rye which I'd hoped would've been a bigger player. Not bad but you can tell this one is gonna be on the bitter side. As expected, good solid bitter bite from start to finish. Just enough malt to keep from being overly bitter but this one falls just on the other side of how bitter I like mine. Again not much rye showing which is a disappointment as I love rye and since it was billed as a rye IPA that's why I bought it. Full, creamy mouthfeel with good carb levels. Bitter aftertaste long after the swallow.

Overall, a good IPA but it was just a tad over the bitter border for me and I didn't get much rye. Worth having if you like the bitter ones. Avail here in TX. Rotation - one bottle was enough but I'd try on tap once. [N;O]

TexIndy, Mar 28, 2012
3.18/5  rDev -12.2%

This pours a very pale gold with a nice frothy white head that leaves chunky lace. On the nose there is caramel and faint hops along with wet grain, but not the spice that I usually find in rye IPAs. In the mouth there is an immediate caramel malt note that really overshadows any hops or rye except at the very back end. The body is medium with a bitterness that wasn't present before coming out a bit.

Overall, this beer just lacks the cohesion I like in rye IPAs. It's one flavor followed by another, rather than a pleasant intermixing.

EricCioe, Mar 27, 2012
3.88/5  rDev +7.2%

Hooray! There's a date on this bottle!!! Bottled 01MAR12

Pours a light golden beer with a frothy white quilt and excellent clarity. Nose is bursting with tropical fruits of mango, pineapple and then grapefruit comes through slightly sweetened by the malt. Nice nose. Medium bitterness with plenty of fruity hops and some hints of dry and sweet malts. Again, well played Laughing Dog. Medium bodied with moderate carb and a semi dry finish.

Man, I always avoided my local, because they haven't dated their beers. I have a friend that brews for them and even so, I've steered clear unless he's brought it strait from the brewery. I can this, of the beers I've had of theirs, when they're fresh, they are really, really nice. Hope to see more of this behavior.

harrymel, Mar 25, 2012
3.65/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bomber pours a clear, medium gold color with a decent cap of white head. Nice retention and leaves gorgeous sheets of lace. Nice looking brew!

Nose is tropically floral and citric hops with a sugar cookie malt backdrop. A touch of earth and nutty yeast. After reading the label, the earthiness is explained by the fact it’s a rye beer…duh!

Taste is pretty nice, good hop flavors up front with the same cookie doughtiness in the middle and the finish is bitter, but not overly so. It has some pretty nice balance; I’d say it leans more west coast than east due to the light, dry malt background. The rye is not really detectable for me…in fact I just read the label and I guess if you’re looking for it you can find it, but it never crossed my mind as I was drinking it. Earthy bread flavors were the rye I suppose. Good beer, this is a solid new addition to Tx. Unfortunately, it doesn’t have a freshness date that I can find…which probably means I won’t be buying it after the first couple months it’s around.

twiggamortis420, Mar 18, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

rondufresne, Mar 14, 2012
1.9/5  rDev -47.5%

Poured from a refrigerated bomber purchased in Memphis, TN for $10. Not my first choice, but the distro here is terrible and it was one of the only things not available to me in MN or WI.

A: Pours a hazy golden straw with a slightly below average head which quickly dissipates, bubbles are fat and soapy. Very minimal lacing.

S: Whoa, this does not smell like an IPA. Lots of tart, unripe tropical fruits, malt vinegar, hint of grain and yeast. Is this a lambic?

T: Falls FAR from the tree here. The sour, back of the tongue tartness was way off for the style, and quite frankly unpleasant. I can't really pick out the flavors here, but it tastes like pineapple that went bad. There is some pine hops and malt hidden beneath the strange funkiness.

M: Moderate carbonation, fairly thin and it doesn't stick around long. Bitter and tart on the back of the tongue.

O: This beer has to be infected. I don't know what happened here, but this was a total drain pour for me. I tried to appreciate it for what it had, not for what it was supposed to be, but I just couldn't do it. One of the worst IPAs I have ever had. I hope it was just a bad bottle.

doucmehu, Mar 13, 2012

XicanoBeerRun, Mar 11, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

Thanks to XicanoBeerRun for sharing.

This pours a clear golden straw-yellow color with some foam lace atop it. There’s a big, grassy hop aroma and a citrusy hop bitterness flavor. I get a lot of zestiness with each sip, possibly from the rye bill? This tastes clear, real clean and crisp, with a well-defined hoppiness. Almost refreshing. Real tasty. An easy, approachable drinker that’s simply put a lot of fun. I like it.

elNopalero, Mar 09, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

On-tap @ Brewfora Beer Marker, Meridian ID. Served in a pint glass.

A: Light haze, golden yellow, steady carbonation visible, light head lacing.

S: Spicy citrus, grapefruit rind, orange peel, light spicy crackery notes from the rye malt, hints of sweet grass.

T: Orange, rye, malts, light spices, low-to-medium bitterness, light grassy and herbal notes, fairly balanced, dry bready finish.

MF: Lighter side of medium, moderate body, good malt presence, decent carbonation.

O: A tasty treat, not unique but it holds the line well.

Scotchboy, Feb 29, 2012

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

hilgart1, Feb 06, 2012

chrispoint, Feb 03, 2012
3.33/5  rDev -8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a smallish head, okay lacing and a very clear amber color.

S: Very bright, floral, fresh hoppy notes. A good invigorating whiff, but not much sweet/malt.

T: Started off a bit empty tasting - devoid of any maltyness or the rye for which it is named. Just some bitter floral overtones. Got better balanced throughout the drink, but I wasn't left terribly satisfied.

M: The mouthfeel made up for the average taste of the beer - the carbonation and feel was excellent.

O: It definitely didn't taste much like a rye beer - just an better-than-average american IPA. Would have preferred a better balanced, fuller taste.

Kornoms, Feb 01, 2012

Mappies, Jan 24, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

JAHMUR, Dec 23, 2011

jak, Dec 15, 2011

bluetrevian, Dec 06, 2011
4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

On tap at capital ale house in Richmond. Poured a fairly pale golden - on sight alone, I would have thought pilsner--save for that it was a bit cloudy.

Delicate lacing.

Aroma is wonderful - tropical fruit (especially pineapple) and evergreen.

Taste is hop forward - also fruits and evergreen. Not a lot of malt to balance, but that doesn't bother me with this beer for some reason. I would, however, like the rye to shine a bit more than it is.

Finishes dry - might be the rye doing its thing.

I want to keep drinking to quench but it is like a dog chasing its tail. And that, my friends, can be fun rather than futile.

chadlebald, Dec 02, 2011