Laughing Dog Rocket Dog Rye IPA - Laughing Dog Brewing

Idaho, United States

Beer added by: John_M on 11-08-2008

Ratings: 256 | Reviews: 115
3.92/5  rDev +8.3%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass, date of 5/25/12 on the side (bottled on??). This pours a slightly hazy yellow color with a massive (overly so) off white head which lasts for a while and leaves a lacing. The smells are a little sweet, some spicy rye, some floral hops. The feel is medium. The taste is good enough, a spicy amount of rye some bitter hops and a little malts.

4.06/5  rDev +12.2%

Served from a 22oz bottle into an imperial pint glass. Pours dark golden and slightly hazy with a huge, billowing, rocky and massive head. I could probably rest a bottle cap on top of this one without it sinking. The head is about three fingers in size and continue to billow upwards like the anvil cloud developing outside my house.

Aroma is slightly fruity with citrus notes as well. Kind of peppery but slightly vegetal. Perhaps a hint of some dirty diaper but nothing major.

Great flavor. Very floral with some nice spiciness. Citrus hops lend some bitterness but the real bitterness comes in the very long finish from the rye grains. A touch of corn present.

My only complaint is the mouthfeel. The carbonation was kind of low and the mouthfeel was quite thin. Perhaps the carbonation was kept low to counter the spicy rye and hop bitterness, but more carbonation would be beneficial. I really liked this one overall and is a great representation and example of a rye style beer.

3.71/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured into a pint glass.

A: Cloudy orange with lots of tiny bubbles and a giant, white, creamy head that lasted many minutes. Lots of foamy lacing.

S: Citrus and floral hops.

T: Moderate sweetness and solid bitterness. Rye malt with strong floral bitterness.

M: Medium bodied with fizzy carbonation. Smooth and slightly dry.

O: Not a bad IPA. The hop bitterness was a bit too harsh and floral for my taste.

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

Pours a hazy deep golden color with a thick white head and impressive lacing.

Aromas begin with pale malt sweetness and some very light caramel malts. As it warms you get some sugar cookie and intense citrus and pineapple hops. More and more enmergin rye and burnt toast emerge as well.

The tastes begin with rustic rye that gives a strong pungent and earthy flavors. Spicy and deep, the rye gives a lot of complexity to the pale malt base and provides a bridge towards the spicy and bitter citric hop flavors.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium to high carbonation. Finish is dry and spicy thanks to the ample rye malt and citrus hops.

Overall this beer was a bit too pungent and resinous and spicy overall. While I love Rye I feel it may have even gone a bit overboard when you combine the ample hop bitterness that this brew possesses.

3.11/5  rDev -14.1%

Golden pour, slightly hazy. Rocky white foam head that persists. Some lacing clings to the glass.

Smells earthy, wet cardboard, herbal.

Taste has a flash of citric hop which is quickly buried by earthy, herbal elements which are overwhelming and not that great. Not getting a lot of spice from the rye. Finish is clean. Body is medium and holds together. Carbonation medium.

This is a mess of a rye. Not something I'd care to revisit.

4.01/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours golden color with white head that lingers pretty well.

Smells really nice with lots of rye in the nose. There is a lemon zest presence.

Tangarine and rye taste with lots of bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel is light-medium bodied.

Overall this was good.

3.24/5  rDev -10.5%

Another new brewery in Minnesota, bearing one of my favorite things - rye! Always up for a new rye, especially when I know it's birthday. Bottle dated 5/4/12, so props for that. 22 oz. bomber split in two.

Pour is a faded yellow, cloudy. Smell is flat-out pretty. Lots of earthy rye, bitter citrus, grassy. Great way to kick this one off.

Rocket Dog slips on the way to from nose to taste buds. The rye is up front, but it's earthy & rather dull. The hops sing back-up with flowery bitterness, but not a lot of either. Herbal & grassy on the finish bucks the rest of the beer. Glad I'm sharing this bomber.

This turned from exciting to not in a single sip. The tastes are all on mute, & what's there seem to be fighting one another. Great nose; the rest, bland. Only the nose saves it from being precisely mediocre.

3.31/5  rDev -8.6%

Attractive dark honey color with a white foam. Beautiful lacing in the chalice. Splendid carbonation that both makes for attractive appearance and is creamy in the mouth. Light body.

Lemon rind more than the usual grapefruit. Very long bitter aftertaste. Herbal and somewhat earthy. Some toast and light roasted malt. I don't taste a lot of rye, but there is some grainy, perfumey flavor. It's already too bitter for the rye flavor to make much impression.

From the 22 oz bottle. Such a nicely made beer but too bad they had to overhop it so much.

3.53/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured a cloudy light copper with a finger of head that dissipated almost as quickly as it puffed up. The nose has some hops, but no rye notes are present. The taste is mildly malt forward, but no rye spiciness is evident. There are some mild hops on the finish, but this whole offering is quite a muted effort.

3.15/5  rDev -13%

A: Pours a pale orange/hone color. A one finger white head forms, but recedes in a minute. Light lace.
S: Hope resin. Syrupy pine aromas. Bready malts from the rye I assume, and burnt sugars.
T: Huge hop flavor up front. Bitter, resinous, syrupy and sticky. Pine resin, really not much else. No rye character here to help balance anything out.
M/D: A medium to full body that is low on the carbonation. Really sticky and resinous. The massive amount of hops, resin and bitterness makes this hard for me to drink.

No rye at all to balance out the huge syrupy and piny hops. Just to much for me. Not something I am coming back to.

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a clear golden color with just over one finger of head that had good retention before settling to a thick cap. Moderate amount of lacing is left down the glass.

Mostly hop aroma. Definately can pick out the Cascades and Simcoe hops. Just the faintest hint of pale malt and sadly, the rye is undetectable.

Plenty of hop flavor and bitterness. Hop flavor consists of citrus and pine. Barely any malt flavor and the rye is barely detectable in the finish. Clean hop flavor but did not deliver what was advertised.

Not as big of a body as I would expect for an almost 7% ABV beer. But it is superbly carbonated.

I am a bit torn over this beer and how to rate it. It does deliver some really good hop flavor, but yet it failed with the rye. And it comes in bombers at almost $7 a bottle, I probably will not be exploring many other beers from this brewery.

4.2/5  rDev +16%

Great balance here. A nice sweet citrus hop balanced with pine hops, pulls back into the rye and malt for the finish. A dry finish but not-so-much bitter. So its leaning toward being too sweet at times, but I kinda like IPA's that do that to change the pace.

Personally, I wouldn't have touched this particular beer (Rye is not something I'm familiar with as a taste), but after trying this, I'm surprised how good it was. So I'll be less opposed to trying beers that advocate rye in the future.

And as for Rocket Dog Rye, hey, I'll try it again in the future.

3.36/5  rDev -7.2%

A - Clear golden wheat color. Foamy bone white head has great retention and lace.

S - Soft, sweet nose. Lots of white grape with accents of orange zest, cardamon, and white sugar.

T - Smooth profile. Light caramel malt, tart white grape, grapefruit pith, and a strong resiny pepper bitterness through the finish.

M - medium-light body. Ok carbonation.

O - Relatively light profile with Interesting white fruit and pepper notes.

3.58/5  rDev -1.1%

Looking forward to a Rye IPA like Reds Rye. Not the case here. Looks good. Pours a light amber / honey color with a big bubbly white head. Big patches of lacing.

Smell starts off well. Bitter piney hops and some citrus. But there is a telltale unpleasant odor here. Subtle in the smell...Not so subtle later on in the taste...The dreaded Summit hops!!!

I am either losing my taste for hoppines or there are Summit hops here. For a small percentage of the population, Summit hops add a oniony / garbagy aroma and taste to a beer. I find Gubna undrinkable because of these hops. The taste gets better as the beer warms and the rye bitterness enhances the hops bitterness but there is still an unpleasant Summit hops type flavor here.

Mouthfeel is crisp and rich. Overall, an average IPA....would be much better without the oniony aroma and taste.

3.61/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Beautiful clarity in this light amber colored beer, yellow-orangeish even. A two finger shock white and sea-foamy head sticks around for a while on top. Lots of slow bubbles feeding it from the bottom and the head leaves patchy rings of lacing as it goes. Lots of pine and grapefruit in the nose making for a biting citrusy aroma, backed by a hearty, somewhat toasty rye aroma. This gives a nice balance of malt to hop, but there is a sharp spiciness to the smell that can only be attributed to the rye, outshining the pale malt in its toastiness.

It tastes very much like it smells, with a light lemony citrus taste upfront that is quickly forgotten with the spicy rye malt. The pale and munich malts don't quite seem to match this spicy rye flavor, making for a somewhat odd balance with the hops. These are earthy and a tad piney and resinous, but there is a lot of grapefruity citrus as well that doesn't quite fit with the earthy profile. In other words, the grapefruit clashes somewhat with the rye, but the spiciness of the rye matches well with the earthy and resiny hop profiles. To me, this makes for a confusing taste profile that affects the drinkability negatively. The flavors themselves are all very nice when taken apart individually, but when taken as a whole they don't work quite as well. That said, I'm still enjoying the beer. The body is light and refreshing, maybe just not enough to hold the rye spices in check. It has a nice prickle on the way out and finishes dry.

Not a bad beer, just not my favorite rye IPA, a style that has become one of my favorites. Needs a tad more body and malt presence other than rye. But I definitely wouldn't turn it down if offered.

3.45/5  rDev -4.7%

A lot of carbonation - like champagne. Smells wonderful like hoppy citrus. Opaque golden color. Slight citrus taste with malt backbone. Strange aftertaste. Would not buy again. I do not really have much more to say but the website says I need more characters so I keep talking like an unfettered woman.

3.91/5  rDev +8%

I was looking for a cheaper 22 oz beer and found Flying Dog's Rocket Dog Rye IPA. I was impressed with their Alpha Dog IIPA and so their rye IPA seemed like a good choice. It's also about $6 so it's a good price.

This looks different than I expected. Most pale ales have more of a copper color to them but the Rocket Dog has more of a straight up yellow-amber color, clear too. The head forms a bit slowly, has good retention, is white, two fingers high, and frothy. There's some decent lacing too. It almost looks like a filtered hefeweizen except the head isn't as bubbly. Impressive looks.

The hops come out strong in the smell. Pineapple, lemon zest, sweet, sugary grass, and slight rye and pine spiciness. Basically this is all about the hops and some sweetness. I'd say there's some toastiness as well.

The taste is very much like the smell. Hops are strong, bitter and earthy, while there's a good balance with sugary goodness and rye spiciness. This is supposed to be a rye IPA but the rye isn't strong enough in my opinion. This, like Laughing Dog's Alpha Dog IIPA, it definitely a beer for the hop head and I'm one, even though the bottle says it's only at 62 IBUs. I wish there was more rye but this is still tasty, though not too complex.

This is mostly on the dry side from the hops and the rye but a bit slick from sugary sweetness. It's medium-bodied and has good carbonation. Very clean.

You know, I want this to have more rye and malt balance, but it has good flavors. It's very hoppy but not overwhelming to me. Another good offering from Laughing Dog. Next time I should try something of theirs that is dark and roasty.

4.13/5  rDev +14.1%

A: Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Had a yellow-orange color and a cloudy texture. There was an absolutely massive, creamy, extremely long-lasting head. Good lacing.

S: A nice aroma of hops, citrus, and some malt as well.

T: Tasted of hops (not a huge amount, but just enough), a little citrus (grapefruit), malt, and the advertised rye. Not a groundbreaking flavor, but lively and certainly focused.

M: A highly carbonated beer with a dry, smooth finish. Medium-bodied.

O: A wholly enjoyable, well made, drinkable beer.

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. No dating info that I could find. It was a cloudy, golden yellow color with good carb streams. It had a large, foamy white head that slowly settled into a constant, thick foam cap. Tons of sheeting with lots sticking.

The aroma was grassy/floral hops with some pine and just a hint of the rye which I'd hoped would've been a bigger player. Not bad but you can tell this one is gonna be on the bitter side. As expected, good solid bitter bite from start to finish. Just enough malt to keep from being overly bitter but this one falls just on the other side of how bitter I like mine. Again not much rye showing which is a disappointment as I love rye and since it was billed as a rye IPA that's why I bought it. Full, creamy mouthfeel with good carb levels. Bitter aftertaste long after the swallow.

Overall, a good IPA but it was just a tad over the bitter border for me and I didn't get much rye. Worth having if you like the bitter ones. Avail here in TX. Rotation - one bottle was enough but I'd try on tap once. [N;O]

3.2/5  rDev -11.6%

This pours a very pale gold with a nice frothy white head that leaves chunky lace. On the nose there is caramel and faint hops along with wet grain, but not the spice that I usually find in rye IPAs. In the mouth there is an immediate caramel malt note that really overshadows any hops or rye except at the very back end. The body is medium with a bitterness that wasn't present before coming out a bit.

Overall, this beer just lacks the cohesion I like in rye IPAs. It's one flavor followed by another, rather than a pleasant intermixing.

3.87/5  rDev +6.9%

Hooray! There's a date on this bottle!!! Bottled 01MAR12

Pours a light golden beer with a frothy white quilt and excellent clarity. Nose is bursting with tropical fruits of mango, pineapple and then grapefruit comes through slightly sweetened by the malt. Nice nose. Medium bitterness with plenty of fruity hops and some hints of dry and sweet malts. Again, well played Laughing Dog. Medium bodied with moderate carb and a semi dry finish.

Man, I always avoided my local, because they haven't dated their beers. I have a friend that brews for them and even so, I've steered clear unless he's brought it strait from the brewery. I can this, of the beers I've had of theirs, when they're fresh, they are really, really nice. Hope to see more of this behavior.

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bomber pours a clear, medium gold color with a decent cap of white head. Nice retention and leaves gorgeous sheets of lace. Nice looking brew!

Nose is tropically floral and citric hops with a sugar cookie malt backdrop. A touch of earth and nutty yeast. After reading the label, the earthiness is explained by the fact it’s a rye beer…duh!

Taste is pretty nice, good hop flavors up front with the same cookie doughtiness in the middle and the finish is bitter, but not overly so. It has some pretty nice balance; I’d say it leans more west coast than east due to the light, dry malt background. The rye is not really detectable for me…in fact I just read the label and I guess if you’re looking for it you can find it, but it never crossed my mind as I was drinking it. Earthy bread flavors were the rye I suppose. Good beer, this is a solid new addition to Tx. Unfortunately, it doesn’t have a freshness date that I can find…which probably means I won’t be buying it after the first couple months it’s around.

1.93/5  rDev -46.7%

Poured from a refrigerated bomber purchased in Memphis, TN for $10. Not my first choice, but the distro here is terrible and it was one of the only things not available to me in MN or WI.

A: Pours a hazy golden straw with a slightly below average head which quickly dissipates, bubbles are fat and soapy. Very minimal lacing.

S: Whoa, this does not smell like an IPA. Lots of tart, unripe tropical fruits, malt vinegar, hint of grain and yeast. Is this a lambic?

T: Falls FAR from the tree here. The sour, back of the tongue tartness was way off for the style, and quite frankly unpleasant. I can't really pick out the flavors here, but it tastes like pineapple that went bad. There is some pine hops and malt hidden beneath the strange funkiness.

M: Moderate carbonation, fairly thin and it doesn't stick around long. Bitter and tart on the back of the tongue.

O: This beer has to be infected. I don't know what happened here, but this was a total drain pour for me. I tried to appreciate it for what it had, not for what it was supposed to be, but I just couldn't do it. One of the worst IPAs I have ever had. I hope it was just a bad bottle.

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

Thanks to XicanoBeerRun for sharing.

This pours a clear golden straw-yellow color with some foam lace atop it. There’s a big, grassy hop aroma and a citrusy hop bitterness flavor. I get a lot of zestiness with each sip, possibly from the rye bill? This tastes clear, real clean and crisp, with a well-defined hoppiness. Almost refreshing. Real tasty. An easy, approachable drinker that’s simply put a lot of fun. I like it.

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

On-tap @ Brewfora Beer Marker, Meridian ID. Served in a pint glass.

A: Light haze, golden yellow, steady carbonation visible, light head lacing.

S: Spicy citrus, grapefruit rind, orange peel, light spicy crackery notes from the rye malt, hints of sweet grass.

T: Orange, rye, malts, light spices, low-to-medium bitterness, light grassy and herbal notes, fairly balanced, dry bready finish.

MF: Lighter side of medium, moderate body, good malt presence, decent carbonation.

O: A tasty treat, not unique but it holds the line well.

Laughing Dog Rocket Dog Rye IPA from Laughing Dog Brewing