Pure Bred: Citra APA - Laughing Dog Brewing

Ratings: 68 | Reviews: 10
Reviews by johnmac:
3.73/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle, 6.2% ABV. Nice illustration of the breakdown of the hop characteristics via a butcher's idea of a pudgy dog - a pure-bred one at that.

This beer pours a hazy medium golden amber hue, with two fingers of puffy, silken foamy eggshell white head, which leaves a decent array of pockmarked storm front lace around the glass as it evenly subsides.

It smells of muted orange and grapefruit juice, a bit of neutered lemon, semi-sweet grainy pale malt, and a small whiff of sweet onions. The taste is more soft, sort of muddled citrus fruit, a hint of apricot, gritty grainy pale malt, a touch of dry breadiness, and more somewhat edgy cut grass, herbal hop notes, and not without that lingering sensation of raw onion-tainted cutting board.

The carbonation is a tad fizzy and rough-seeming at times, but mostly just persistently trilling, the body a solid medium weight, and surprisingly quite smooth. It finishes off-dry, the under-heralded grainy malt staying fast, and the lingering musty citrus, herbal hops still doing equally well.

A pleasantly quirky enough single hop pale ale, with Citra as the headliner, the hop's prominent assets and mild deficiencies all on display. Looking forward to the next iteration down the line.

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

Bottled 3/6/13 .. 9 days ago.. Not bad.

Picked this up at the COOP tonight for about $5... poured into my HotD goblet... Good 1 finger white head sticks around for a bit and leaves decent spotty lacing. The brew is polished straw golden.

The nose shows plenty of Citra hoppiness... bright citrus slightly reigned in by something I think smells like pineapple, Brenda says apricot. Soft pale maltiness helps deliver the bountiful hops.

Slightly more bitter than a standard APA, but that is okay... This is a hop delivery device and does the job well.. Again citrus and a light apricot show up.. Good maltiness (perhaps too much mid palate) but it dries out on the finish leaving a great lingering hop profile that begs for another sip.

Very drinkable... light/medium body with a light for the style carbonation... again, I want another sip.

Well done... I wish I picked up another.

4/4/4/4/4.25

4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

22 oz bomber poured into a tulip glass, nice straw-orange-yellow color with a slight head. The aroma is similar to that of an IPA, but not overly hoppy. Taste is exceptionally smooth
with a slight bitter aftertaste, just enough to let you know the hops are there! The dryness was there but not overwhelmingly so. I really enjoyed this and my hats off to the good folks at Laughing Dog...well done!
Thanks to my good friend Tony who carted the 22 oz bomber back from the brewery in Idaho after his vacation!

2.9/5  rDev -25.3%

Possibly a older bottle (bought 12/18/14). Malt more prominent on tongue than hops. Smelled good, but tasted old.

3.51/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I admit that I bought this bottle solely due to the name... expectation was somewhat high again due to the name containing the word "Citra"... here we go.

22 oz bottle poured into Fremont Tulip
$4.49 I believe at Total Wine Bellevue, WA

A: To be honest, it's a bit dark in here. Not sure 100% but it looks tan/orange clear body with 2 finger head. Spotty lacing.

S: Quite muted (and disappointed). I was hoping this beer to have amazing aroma. It's not bad, but it's not as dominant. I smell grain, citrus, orange, pineapple, lemon zest.

T: Again, not impressed here although it was quite refreshing and nice. It kind of reminded me of Fremont's Seattle Beer Week beer. The only difference is that SBW beer is only 4.5% ABV. From 6.14% ABV beer, I would expect more flavor. I wish it had a tad bit more sweetness. I taste the grain too much in this beer. Similar to the nose, I taste orange, lemon zest, some cut grass. It's alright. Not great though.

M: Cabornation is sharp and crisp. Very dry finish.

O: It was worth a try for me but wasn't super impressed.

4.21/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottle opened on 3.28.13
Bottled 3/6/13

A - Pours a hazy medium orange with a larger foamy light tan head with great retention.

S - Citrus, tropical fruit, classic citra.

T - Tropical fruit, citrus, grass, a touch of stinky cheese.

D - Good carbonation with a light body.

O - Citra is awesome. This beer is really good. Not epic, but damn fine.

3.84/5  rDev -1%

22oz (bottled 6/6/2013) into a tulip. Pours a clear pale copper color w/ a big sudsy white head, nice patchy lace.

Aroma is a blend of citrusy hops and pale biscuity malt. Not the big burst of tropical citrus fruit I was hoping for, a little muted. But tantalizing nonetheless.

Taste is more bready malt and Citra hops. Good balance. Not too sweet, not too bitter. Drinkable and refreshing. Pretty juicy actually.

Mouthfeel is creamy and soft, balanced. Sharp bitter finish.

Overall I really enjoyed this beer. It's not mind-blowing, just good and drinkable.

2.99/5  rDev -22.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Poured into a tall frosty glass. Frothy head that quickly fades. light brown/yellow color. Smells like it is going to be delicious. very light citrus odor and hoppy hint. Taste is a let down. The bitter overcomes all else. The after taste is like wet leather. There is a hint of chalk and peaches at first but in rushes the bitter.

a drinkable beer that is not something I would go out of my way to buy again

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

22oz bottle poured into a large mug. Bottled on date 3/6/13, opened 3 July 2013. I found this irresistible because I want to learn more about individual hop varieties.

Pours slightly copper-tinged golden, clear and pretty, large fluffy head, lots of carbonation, looks to be the beginnings of very heavy lacing. Smell is grassy, citrus, fresh, floral, but a little light.

Taste is mild, straw, a little more grass, it gives me the impression of hoppiness, but doesn't seem to have a significant bitterness. It's more of a balanced flavor than I'm used to lately. Paying careful attention, I definitely get some pine resin bitterness.

Mouthfeel is chewy, slightly oily. Overall, I'm quite happy with this beer.

3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

Bottled dated 10/15/2014:
Attribute rating: 4|3|3.75|4|3.5 3.48 BA calculation

I rated this a bit higher than the BA calculation because I didn't think the lack of smell I got should rate it down so much. The beer is fairly straightforward, A bit of malt and a fairly obvious dose of Citra hops. Clear golden with a sustaining white head, some lacing. The nose does let you know there is some Citra hops in there, but a wet cardboard smell detracts from it.

The taste actually has a honey biscuit maltiness to it, but the Citra does come on mid taste to add orange and papaya notes. The down side is that this beer isn't overly complex to me. It has it's malt forward, citrus/tropical hoppiness, and that's about it. The feel is medium towards a little light. The hops actually add a light dryness.

An ok beer, really nothing glaringly wrong, but nothing to excite me either.

Pure Bred: Citra APA from Laughing Dog Brewing