Shake Chocolate Porter - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Beer added by: cindyjeffsmith on 10-12-2013

to view more.
Ratings: 1,300 | Reviews: 198
3.59/5  rDev -10%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A lovely dark brown pour, almost black with some lighter shades of dark around the edges. The light tan head forms slowly, cascading from bottom to top. Once formed, it's a thick sticky meringue of different sized bubbles that retain well and leave a plaster of lace behind.

The beer is well-named as Shake smells like a chocolate shake. Not sure if there's lactose involved, but you can almost smell the dairy. Think dessert.

While the chocolate is obvious from the nose, the taste buds tell a slightly different story as the chocolate is off the bittersweet variety. It's an evil trick as you're prepared for an onslaught of sweet only to be surprised by a different form of chocolate.

The palate doesn't appreciate the deception and never fully appreciates the beer. Medium bodied and well bittered, the lack of sweetness is hard to forgive.

I have a six pack and I'm sure I'll enjoy the remaining five, but this first one leaves a poor taste in my mouth literally and figuratively.

4.46/5  rDev +11.8%

A thick foamy off white head with tons of retention and a dark black body. Chocolate, coffee, and malt. Nice drinkable smooth mouthfeel with a great amount of foam to provide additional flavor. Taste is of milk chocolate and slight malt, very light overall but right in line with a porter. Really surprised with this beer, it's great.

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

outstanding as far as porters go - great job

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Don't mind a porter acting like a stout but it still needs to be scored as a porter (American or not).

2.28/5  rDev -42.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Unlike other reviewers, I don't want my beer to taste just like a chocolate shake. I'm fine with chocolate notes in a porter, but this was gross. Perhaps it's better on draught.

4.64/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

I had this on tap at a bar in Flagstaff, AZ. Right off the bat it was delicious, nice and heavy with a classic chocolate porter feel. The chocolate flavor was immediately present and enjoyable. It felt and tasted like I was drinking a chocolate milkshake. As the beer warmed up (half way through) the chocolate notes became even more pronounced and even more enjoyable. I'm springing for a six pack of this next time I want a glass of chocolate milk. I highly recommend it.

4.69/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

One of the better porters I've had. Delicious and sweet without losing the malt flavor. I strongly recommend waiting until you can find this on nitro.

4.04/5  rDev +1.3%

Bottle poured into a nonic pint glass

A: Pours murky deep brown with a frothy light tan head that settles and laces well.

S: Big sweet cocoa powder, vanilla, and a little roasted malt.

T: Roasted malt, big milk chocolate cocoa that dominates, a little spice, vanilla, and some toffee malt sweetness.

M: On the fuller side of medium body, moderate carbonation, creamy smooth and drinkable.

O: Not overly complex, but it delivers on the chocolate big time.

4.64/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On nitro its great, in bottles not so much. This rating is for nitro.

4.95/5  rDev +24.1%

My favorite overall beer. Superb drinkability for a "dark" beer. Smells and tastes like a glass of chocolate milk. It combines the bitterness of dark chocolate, with the smooth taste of milk chocolate. 5/5 I recommend this to anybody, looking for something different.

How is this optional if it won't let me submit until I have entered at least 5 words

4.96/5  rDev +24.3%

Very good porter. Very chocolaty without being too sweet or too bitter. Excellent.

4.48/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Milky but very good and prolly best drinking in small amounts

4.21/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is real tasty. If you wanna get someone into craft beer, this is a good one to start with. My dad loves some miller, but he actually enjoyed a few sips of this one. As an experienced beer drinker, I enjoy it myself too. Great beer for when you're looking for something sweet.

4.48/5  rDev +12.3%

This beer is what it says. It's a fun beer to drink. Goes in beer and goes down leaving hints of chocolate behind.
Not to imply sweetness.. It's not, but it has replaced dessert more than once. I like it!

4.24/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Nice massive chocolate notes! Heavy mouth feel. I loved it.

3.25/5  rDev -18.5%

tates like they poured cocoa powder in a mild beer.

4.83/5  rDev +21.1%

Tastes like a chocolate milk shake. Gotta love a beer that is true to its name.

4.24/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Great initial chocolate taste with a hint of coffee. Pretty creamy and good

4.53/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Intensely chocolate in taste and smell. Only lightly bitter. Malty but not sweet. Excellent mouth feel, easy to drink. There's little roasted malt flavor and smell which seems to help the chocolate come through. Honestly, it's not just a one time bit. Often beers like this are something I would try once. However, this is a true Porter – tasty and not a gimmick.

My first 5/5 rating. It only took 189 beers prior to find it. When I think of a milkshake version of a beer, this exemplifies that thought. A chocolate fudge punch to the palate and wonderful aromas to boot. Not high in alcohol so you can certainly session out on this. Light body doesn't fill you up. I took a girl out to World of Beer and she got this and I opted for the Brooklyn Blast!. Granted, I really enjoyed the Blast! but I had some beer envy when I tried hers. I had to seek it out and luckily I remembered seeing it at a local store. I'll probably buy their last two six packs.

4.27/5  rDev +7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

phenomenal stouty porter. Actually tastes like a chocolatey shake.

4.93/5  rDev +23.6%

Explosive chocolate sweet flavor. My girlfriend adores this brew & I end up stealing a couple whenever she gets it.

4.44/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Awesome lacing. Super dark. Great chocolate flavor.

Awesome beer. It tastes just like chocolate shake. It's awesome.

to view more.