Mojo IPA - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Mojo IPAMojo IPA

good

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: Jon on 08-27-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mojo IPA Alström Bros

alamode, Dec 14, 2011

mccorjf54, May 13, 2012

thatdirtymick, Dec 28, 2011

MaddDogg84, Jun 13, 2014
4.93/5  rDev +30.1%

Someone told me that if I Like big hop beers I need to try Hazed and infused by boulder beer. When I went to buy it the Mojo IPA was next to it so I bought a 6 pack of each. I have sampled 100's of different IPA and for me this one always stands out. Great full body hops yet very drinkable. After First having it by the bottle I now keep it on tap at home in my kegerator.

cigarplume, Oct 10, 2009
4.9/5  rDev +29.3%

I really like this beer, and it begins from the moment the bottle cap comes off. Immediately one's olfactory sense is met with a very pleasant strong smell of hops and citrus. Mojo IPA pours an unassuming golden color, but packs a big taste of hops bitterness mixed with grapefruit that lingers on the back of the tongue for a good long time.

LarrBear, Sep 04, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +28.8%

Where to start with this brew. This brew pours an orangish gold with a big bubbly and foamy white IPA head that never goes away. Aroma is very hoppy but surprisingly fruity and sweet. Most other IPAs have a syrupy sweet smell but this one is definitely lighter. Hops oils are big with a with oranges and tangerines filling out the smell. Those fruits come through in the sweet taste, but instead of just a one-note citrus brew, lots of pineapple and clementines in this brew mixed with a little passion fruit. Very hoppy and bitter at the end, very reminiscent of Dogfish Head's 60 minute IPA.

Wow, this was a great find that I just bought on a whim. One of the best and most balanced IPAs I have ever had.

saintwarrick, Mar 24, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +28%

Appearance:
The beer pours light copper in color. There's a picture worthy sticky white head to the beer that displays superb retention and fine lacing as as I drain the glass.

Smell:
Everything I would expect from a good American IPA is present. There's a solid presence of grapefruit and tangerine rind with an underlying note of pine resin. Unfortunately this bottle's scent comes across a little less potent than I would have liked but a fine aroma still.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
Up front there's some aggressive bitterness and strong flavors of tangerine and strawberry punch candy. About mid drink a peak of candy sweet orange comes up while still maintaining the solid bitterness, this then pans out in to a dry rind bitterness which makes for a nice clean finish. There's a pleasant aftertaste of orange.

Drinkability:
This is easily my favorite IPA so maybe I'm biased, but I find these to go down easy and en mass.

Bottom Line:
It's a shame the Mojo Risin' was a little disappointing but that will never take away from how awesome the Mojo or the Hazed and Infused are. I highly recommend this beer to fellow hop heads, others may find it a little too hop heavy even for an IPA.

Grundle20, Oct 03, 2007
4.85/5  rDev +28%

It's been way too long since I had this one....

Pours a clear light-orange color, big foamy white head keeps rising, threatens to spill over the edge of the glass, and then begins to settle very slowly, nice foamy layer on top of the beer with a substantial collar around the inside of the glass, and some good web-like patches of lace. Smell is a bright & beautiful citrus hop masterpiece!! Orange, tangerine, grapefruit all popping out of the glass. Taste delivers on all the citrusy goodness, with a nice mellow honey-like sweetness, and a faint hop bitterness. Medium-bodied, slightly sticky, but quenching, and begging you to pair this with burgers, spicy food, & BBQ. Flat-out delicious IPA....I'm ashamed I haven't had this in so long, and will make more of an effort to keep some in the fridge, because I can't imagine a time when I wouldn't want a Mojo.

corey0212, Oct 23, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +27.4%

Pours out a clear dark gold. Big whiff of floral hoppiness. Head is thick, sticky and very solid. Hops are very floral, with light citrusy aromas and assorted generic fruit. Patchy lace remains after the foam slowly recedes. Good bitterness. Hops are grapefruity, but with an overall sweetish tinge, and heavy floral tone gives it an interesting smoothness. I Well rounded, bold flavours. Smooth body and not-too-heavy carbonation. A nice juicy IPA that tends towards smoothness over in-your-face hops. Still has tons of flavour though, and eminently drinkable. One of the best IPAs I've had.

allergictomacros, Jan 14, 2009
4.8/5  rDev +26.6%

A - Pours a deep gold with a thick foamy head that leaves an insane amount of lacing on the glass. Good so far!

S - Not picking up on a lot of hops. Lots of citrus and some butter cookie, almost like a rum scent. Pleasant, but doesn't scream IPA.

T - NOW THIS IS AN IPA! The hops hops hops! Delicious balance between sweet and bitter. The hops come rushing in like a tsunami with a citrus punch that's buttery smooth. The assault on my taste buds is followed by a deep cookie flavor, yellow cake taste and more hops, and finally waves goodbye with yet another blast of hops and a twinkie sweetness. Perfection.

M - Silky smooth, like swishing velvet about in my mouth. Foamy creamy and smooth, the way it should be. No wateriness or greasiness, just smooth cold deliciousness.

O - I've had my fair share of IPAs (another of my favorite style) in my time, and I must say that none of them have had as profound an effect on me as Mojo. The appearance, the taste, the feel, the soul of this beer is perfect. A class act of a beer and one that I recommend you try as soon as possible!

undeadozzy, May 15, 2012
4.8/5  rDev +26.6%

Had on August 16, 2012 at the Seven Monks Taproom in Traverse City, Michigan.
Bright, cloudy gold in color, with a luxurious head of frothy foam.
Aroma-Subtle citrus hops hidden under huge cloud deck of foam.
Taste-Super creamy and smooth-Hop bitterness subdued but very tasty citrus flavors prevail. I was blown away by the creaminess, flavor and all-to-easy drinkability of this nitro-tap IPA. A rare treat. More please!

hosehead83, Aug 27, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

09/06/05- Purchased at a random liquor store in Jackson Hole, WY.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with no freshness date. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

Appearance- Cloudy and orange-golden pour. Full 3/4 inch creamy head with above average lace.

Smell- Such a terrific scent. Strong fruity sweetness with a side note of pine. One of the best scented IPA's I have had.

Taste- Wow, lightly sugary sweet fruity hops with a forest of pine hops involved. Light malt as well. Just enough to keep it on the semi-balanced side.

Mouthfeel- Perfect creamy carbonation level. Leaves a great hoppy taste in your mouth.

Drinkability- Not quite a hop bomb, but balanced on the hop side for sure. Very drinkable. Not really sure it's a session IPA, but it's damn close if not. One of the best IPA's I have had...heck, one of the best of any kind of beers I have had.

GClarkage, Sep 07, 2005
4.75/5  rDev +25.3%

captainbearcat, Sep 28, 2012
4.72/5  rDev +24.5%

After being so impressed by the pure hoppy bliss of the Hazed & Infused Pale Ale, I had to take the next step to the Mojo IPA. This beverage is hop bliss squared.

The appearance is very pale golden with only a slight amber hue and a massive fluffy marshmallow head. The smell is incredible, like grapefruit and a variety of other citrusy flavors. The aroma of amarillo hops is quite a beautiful thing. There is only one thing better: the taste. Quite frankly, this is the tastiest IPA I've ever had. It may not be quite as well done as Stone's, but it is just as craveable. Goes well with a copious serving of dank. The citrusy bitterness and high alcohol content prevent this from being a true session brew like its younger brother, but nonetheless, it is one of the most fantastic American brews I've ever had. No monotheistic mysticism involved in the brewing of this marvelous brew, but I'm sure "god" loves the brewers of Boulder Brewing Co. just as much as everybody's favorite trappist monks.

Edit: Looking at my glass from last night, just before washing it, the lace was still shimmering like a friggin' diamond in the light. I've not seen anything else quite like it, as far as brussels lacing is concerned.

neonbrown82, Mar 24, 2005
4.7/5  rDev +24%

Pours light caramel amber with a huge fluffy white head and a bit of of haziness.

Nose is total juicy sweet ruby red grapefruit. Amarillo, bitches! Very nice, very clean.

Sweet biscuit malts up front, a lot of Valencia orange mid tongue. Grapefruit throughout. Ends with a light, pleasant, resinous bitterness.

Medium body, the insane front loaded hops makes this beer extraordinarily drinkable and refreshing. Awesome beer.

nortmand, Sep 25, 2007