Mojo IPA - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

good

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Jon on 08-27-2003

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,766 | Reviews: 766
4.51/5  rDev +19.3%

Mmm. Mojo. 12oz pours dark golden with a short, fizzy white head that settles to a nice ring. Aromas are busting out all over, with a sweet hoppiness. Something unusual, which I realize is cedar. Haven't smelled/tasted that in a beer before. Outstanding. Tiny carbonation bubbles rise slowly. At first I think this is going to be on the raw, harsh hoppy side, but as it warms the malt balance shows itself with pleasing results. There are some caramel elements here, as well as citrus hop flavors, lemon and grapefruit. Smooth finish, hops in just the right place. Oh and by the way, my first glass was gone before I knew it, and the second...

I'm of a mind that the best offense is a good defense. So it is with this and other great IPAs - that big ol' healthy dose of malt really allows those hops to shine.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

I was fortunate to find this beer at last year's Hophead Throwdown. This really opened my eyes to what I expect from an IPA.
Pours a real attractive golden orange color w/ a full finger of fluffy bright white head.
Distinct aroma of fruity hops...grapefruits and oranges galore.
Taste is superb...a nice bitterness grabs your tongue and holds on tight. The malt is very noticeable, but make no mistake...this beer is about the hops. Becomes a bit sweeter when it warms up, but the hops keep it from becoming too noticeable. Oh yeah...this is definitely a session beer.
A top notch IPA...give it a try.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

A. Light orange with a head that leaves lacing to the end.

S. Very citrusy hops. Nice aroma.

T. Wonderful taste and very well balanced with a good amount of hops.

M. Perfect amount of carbonation and a nice medium mouth feel.

D. Yeah I could drink these all day. Awesome!

4.5/5  rDev +19%

Single 12 ounce bottle when I was in Arizona, and I should have gotten more. On to the beer:

This IPA is a clean bodied, pale orange color with a persistent rocky head. Lots of lacing is left on the sides of my chalice. The aroma is mild, but full of those little green flowers. Hops, caramel, a slightly sticky aroma, and fresh cut pine....imagine Pine Sol on the latter. The taste....oh so resiny! Very hoppy, but not overdone. It manages to pull out mango and citric flavors. Maltiness is light, but noticable. My palate love it, and it's lush oily feel is a mere bonus.

I love my San Diego IPA's, and I live 90 minutes from San Diego, so you know I get them fresh. But I regreat to inform San Diego that their offerings have been dethroned by Mojo IPA. This isn't as much in your face, but still has a beautiful intense hoppy character a hophead would crave. I drank this washing down Italian sausage stuffed tortellini with red gravy, a pairing I thoroughly enjoyed.

(Update 3/16/14: Bought a six-pack in Arizona for a mere $6.99, had a bottle for the first time in five years. Perhaps not as perfect as I remember, but still hoppy without being overworked, and very easy to drink despite its 7.2% ABV. At the very least to the masses, it's a bargain priced IPA).

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Mojo IPA from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub