Mojo IPA - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Mojo IPAMojo IPA

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Jon on 08-27-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mojo IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 766 | Hads: 1,822
3.16/5  rDev -19%

I love the label, and would consider buying a cycle jersey with this logo, but the beer itself... Kind of "meh"... There is not a lot of hops aroma or flavor. It's IPA Lite IMHO... very refreshing, but it lacks the hop dominance that I personally look forward to in an IPA.

I'm tasting it head-to-head with three other IPA's: Pyramid Outburst, Anderson Valley Heelch O'Hops and Oskar Blues Deviant Dales. Of the four, this is the weakest... (441 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -19%

Poured from nitro-tap into a standard pint glass at Global Brew Tap House.

A-Pours out an uber-cloudy,creamy orange with a tight,dense,creamy,snow white head of two fingers that resembled whipped vanilla yogurt,lasted for the duration of the pint and left insanely thick,sticky lacing deposited on every inch of the glass.

S-There really wasn't much here and I know that that can be a result of the nitro-tap so I will keep that in mind.Mild,stale citrus and some biscuity malt mostly.There is also a faint mineral quality to it.

T-There was a little more hop presence here with some subdued citric and pine notes.Once again,a pale ale style malt body was detected.Muted hops and a somewhat bland malt backbone made this beer pretty average.

M-Great mouthfeel.Dense and creamy with a touch of IPA bitterness.More flavor overall would have raised this beer a few notches for me.

O-I need to try this beer from a standar tap to truly see what effect the nitro-tap has on this beer.I was a little dissapointed with this offering. (1,031 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -19.2%

I had three or four samples of Boulder's Mojo IPA at a beer festival in Frankenmuth. I always thought about picking up one of these but never got around to it so when I saw it was on tap at the beer festival I thought I should give it a chance, so lets see how it goes. Poured on tap into a 4oz plastic boot.

A- I like the label on this beer, it looks nice. It a poured a golden yellow color that took on an orange tint when held to the light, it had one fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end. The beer didn't look to bad.

S- The first thing that I pick up is a slightly stale malt aroma that has a medium amount of sweetness and imparts some bready and grainy aromas. Up next comes the hops that seem to be floral and citrusy with the citrus seeming to stick out the most with some pineapple aromas and a slight pine aroma towards the end. The aroma was good, I liked the citrus hop aromas.

T- The taste seems is a little similar to the aroma. It starts off with some grainy and bready malts with a medium amount of sweetness, they have a stale flavor that is a little off putting. The hops aren't as citrusy as they were in the aroma and impart a king of weird pine and floral taste. It had a light amount of medium bitterness, with a grainy and slightly floral aftertaste. This was a pretty average tasting American IPA.

M- Not that smooth, slightly creamy, medium bodied, with a medium amount of carbonation, the mouthfeel seemed to be pretty average.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought that it was a pretty average example of an American IPA, the beer just didn't come together as well as it should have. This beer doesn't have the best drinkability, it isn't too smooth and the flavors don't hold my interest. What I liked most about this beer was the aroma, it had some nice hoppy citrus aspects to it and it also didn't look that bad. What I liked the least about the beer was the bland malt base and the weird hop profile in the flavor, it just didn't work for me. I wouldn't buy this beer again and this isn't an IPA that I would recommend to anybody I liked. This was my first beer from this brewery and it didn't make for the best first impression, all in all just an average American IPA that isn't memerable, I hope the Mojo Risin is much better since I already bought a bottle of it. (2,382 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -19.2%

Not my favorite IPA, there isn't enough hop character in this one for me. Wouldn't be a bad if I wanted an APA or something less aggressive. Average color, aroma, carbonation and taste. Worth a try if you've never had it and certainly better than any mass market beer, this one is still not my favorite. (303 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -19.2%

Hazy, bright orange/gold. Thin head that leaves a a solid ring of big bubbles

A lot of citrus hops. Some pine resin and a little mango. A small amount of sweet caramel and honey.

Very bitter with an overload of piercing citrus to piney. Very dry and unbalanced towards the back. The hops seem way out of whack and overbearing. I can barely get through the hops to pull anything else out of this beer.

Relatively light body but hard to get past the bitterness. Struggled through my bomber. (491 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -19.2%

Pours a brilliant copper hue with a light smattering of fizz on top. The clarity is nearly perfect and the carbonation dances to the top refreshing the foam.

The aroma is suggestive of mild floral hops and seems to be missing the aggressive tail of whatever they chose (Centennial?). Its a delicate aroma and is reminiscent of the all-good properties of Dreadnaught.

The taste doesn't have the same all-good properties though - and it almost seems like the aroma got the good parts of the hop and the taste got the brash parts. There's a mild sweet malt body that isn't enough to compete with what starts as a somewhat pine sap bitterness and only gets harsher once swallowed. Its almost like a purely bittering hop like nuggets were used so there is no mild delicate floral or citrus, just caustic.

Its not a very encouraging beer when the aftertaste is like pine needle. So its not the most drinkable, but I'll make an effort. It could really use some milder hop as a dry hop to smooth the transition. (1,012 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -19.2%

Poured this beer into a stein after letting it sit for a few minutes to warm after taking the bottle out of the refrigerator. Fresh - bottle said drink before February 2013.

Appearance - Nice, transparent amber color. Very light head (possibly due to a weak pour). Head dissipated quickly and clustered nicely after a few sips. Light carbonation.

Smell - Grapefruit/orange-like smell. Smell the hops...

Taste - A hoppy American IPA that is balanced well by the malt flavor. Slightly bitter (but not overwhelming). Grapefruit, orange-like flavor.

Mouthfeel - Light on the palate; not over-carbonated but hoppy.

Overall - A good American IPA, overall, but a little hoppy for my taste (I'm not a hop-head!). I would have liked a thicker head but I haven't had the opportunity to drink this from a tap yet. Enjoyed the grapefruit/orange-like taste but found it a little bitter for my taste. That said, though I wouldn't seek this beer out, I would be happy to drink another pint if it was available at a pub that I happened to be at. (1,036 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -19.7%

The color is more on the pale side, honey as opposed to amber. The head was quick to form and had good retention and wall of lace. The clarity was "Hazed" as Boulder would probably like to call it.

The nose certainly didn't offer an IPA dose of hops. It stayed safely on the malt side of things with tons of caramel accented by sweet citrus and rip fruit tones. Not particularly what I had in mind.

The flavor had a bit more bitter to it than the aroma, but didn't really rev my engine. The taste was juicy and sweet, with most of the hop bitterness coming in the finish. Caramel, biscuits, some pine and grapefruit flavors mingle for supremacy.

The body was smooth and easy to drink with a dry finish. The carbonation was mild, but stayed crisp through the finish.

Not a bold IPA unfortunately. The alcohol was hidden quite well though, so I'll give it a 3.5 in the last field. I'm trying the Mojo Risin' following this one, so hopefully that was can satisfy the craving for this hop head. (999 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -19.7%

Poured into a glass.
This beer had promise. Good pour...nice head, fruity and malty aroma, good golden color.

Then the head disappeared, the aroma was gone and the taste wasn't as IPA as I'd anticipated. The hops were present, but overshadowed by the citrus. Finish lingered for about, oh, 1 second. It didn't taste bad, just nothing special. (346 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -20.3%

mojo, baby. the life force. or something like that.

the beer hits one of my dislike spots: floating yeast. nevermind the nice orange coloring and sticky head, the floaters distract.

scents of fruits and malts. very pleasant.

the initial flavor seems very sour. there are fruity elements underneath, with tangerine and apricot. a nice hop aftertaste eliminates much of the sourness I detected.

the feel is sticky, light and not dry at all.

well, major complications and major upside. looks great, then you look closer. the aftertaste is great, but it is not a good initial flavor. light, but why would I want more? unbalanced parts do not a good beer make. (660 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured amber/orange in my pint glass. Creamy off white head which cleared away quickly. Initial smell nice but not much on the citrus side which I have come to expect from most IPA's. The gop flavor was mosly piney and the malty flavor was of caramel and was grainy. Not as hoppy as most IPA's. (294 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -20.8%

Poured into my pint glass from a 12fl oz bottle

Pours a very light orange color with a three finger soft fluffy head. The head resides down slowly leaving lacing behind.

Smell is of piny hops, citrus, some floral notes.

Hops dominate this one. Bitter upfront hop taste with just the slightest malt backbone which barely shows.

Mouthfeel is medium with high carbonation and a bitter dry finish.

Better IPAs out there, was not really impressed with this one. (463 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -21%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a cloudy brown color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of hops. Taste is a hop bomb. Not much balance here, all hops. Feels bitter in the mouth and has below average drinkability. Overall this beer is just a bit to hoppy for my liking. (271 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -21%

A - Clear golden color with a strong lacing.

S - Clean and flowery.

T - As IPA go this on strong side of hop taste, yeasty like bread. Flowery up front and hoppy hard finish.

M - Sudsy

O - I think it a good IPA, but my first choice. I would drink one or two, but would want something with more balance or less of a hard finish.

Go Buffs! (345 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -21%

This beer pours a nice orange hue with a frothy thick head. The immediate odor of grapefruit and flowers clearly make this a hoppy IPA. The hoppy and floral odor is accompanied by a bittersweet citrusy juiciness. The hoppiness cannot be avoided in this very zesty IPA. I'm a big fan of American IPA's, but I wasn't really blown away by this one. Enjoyable, but nothing I would go head over heels for. (400 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -21.3%

Pours a nice pale color.

Smells like a classic IPA -- hoppy and complex, but this one also features a citrus scent. Very interesting.

Taste is fairly hoppy, hints of a peeled orange. Nice balance of hops/malt.

As much as I liked the smell and initial taste, I couldn't really get into it. After one I was done. (316 characters)

3.07/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A - Pours a hazy amber color with 2 1/2 finger head. Good head retention and lacing present.

S - Nothing initially pops out at first, not too much present it appears aside from more subtle scents. Hints of pine and grapefruit are the most prominent scents. Overall not much to the nose, decent but vague aromas.

T - Fairly bitter IPA, with flavorings focused around hops, pine and overall "earthy" flavors. Minor notes of grapefruit are present as well but quite vague. Leaves a fairly harsh/bitter aftertaste.

M - Medium bodied with mild carbonation present. Not too much else to say here really; above average but nothing spectacular.

O - An average IPA all-in-all. Nothing in particular really stands out to me with this beer. Would drink again if given to me but will not go out of my way for. (803 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -21.5%

The Mojo in my opinion does not stand out as its own. It seems like a great beer to start people out on if they have never had an IPA or APA. light in hops and average in color it wouldn't be intimidating to people just getting started in "beer love." I do love the Boulder Brewing Company though. (297 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -21.5%

A-Pours an illuminated orange color. Body is hazy. Head is full-figured. Head retains very well and laces just the same.

S-The smell is very subdued. There is some citrus and grain. Grassy and breaded as well. The nose is in some aspects very nice but it is very mellow and there is a metallic twang hovering around too.

T-The flavor is no better. The proper components are there but they are tainted by an off-putting copper flavor. Also, the flavors are far too underwhelming in terms of intensity.

M-Lighter than the ABV would suggest. Bubbly enough. Decent feel.

O/D-Overall, I was not happy with this brew. A subpar IPA in my opinion. Perhaps something was amiss. (672 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -21.5%

Poured a lovely rich golden color with a 2" head that settled down to 1". Bouquet wasn't as hoppy bold as expected nor was the taste. Yes it's an IPA, yes it's a thoroughly enjoyable beer, no it doesn't stand out from other IPAs in any particular way to me. Perhaps my sample took a little too long getting from Colorado to Boston? (331 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -22.1%

Looks good; a hazy gold with white foam that leaves some lace and falls to a collar. Funky nose...very vegetal smelling, corn-like with flowers in the way background, not so good. Tastes better than it smells; hop are spicy but a little bit of that corn pops up towards the finish, which is fairly bitter. A smooth drinker for sure, but off-flavors are disconcerting. Bitterness builds in a pleasant way. Good, but not great. I would like to give this another try. (464 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -22.3%

Picked up my local nugget in the Sacramento area.

A: Looks like a basic golden IPA with a 1 finger foamy head that leaves spiderweb lacing.

S: Pretty much just a faint hop aroma.

T: Drinking it cold its pretty much empty, decent hops. As it warms up a smidgen of malt flavor comes through but not enough to save it.

M: Medium carbonation, medium body, nothing really wrong with it but nothing really good about it either.

O: A mediocre, generic IPA. (455 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -22.3%

A- yellow orange see through with a thin head which fades fast little to no lacing.

S- smell of bitternes, citrus hops dominate with a slight breadiness and I am also picking up a slight alchohol bite in the nose.

T-Very slight citrus hoppiness. picking up alot of alcohol in this especially in the aftertaste.(for 7.2 this is very warming)

M- mouthfeel is light to medium does not linger much.

D- Drinkability is fine this was pretty much a middle of the road IPA nothing really blew me away but then again nothing really threw me off either.

I bought a six pack for the wife thinking it might be a suitable replacement for 60minute, i'm kinda wishing they had the 60minute.

Prost!!! (690 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -22.3%

Decent session I.P.A. Pours an almost lager-like yellow, but with a big frothy head. Taste is not very complex: light hops and citus, with a lingering alcohol aftertaste. Very light and refreshing for an I.P.A., which really isn't a good thing for us hop-heads... (263 characters)

3.02/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

22 oz. bomber, enjoy by May 1. Should be pretty fresh then.

A: Clear body, a bit on the light side. Decent retention. Lots of carbonation bubbles floating up to the top.

S: Candy, bread, some alcohol present in the nose.

T: Hmm. Not as many hops as I would like, and a skunky aftertaste. Some citrus, but it comes off tasting like cheap candy.

M: Thin, good carbonation levels though.

O: Not a good beer. I'm going to have a Lagunitas Sucks to wash this bad taste out of my mouth. (486 characters)

Mojo IPA from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub