Mojo IPA - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Mojo IPAMojo IPA

good

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: Jon on 08-27-2003)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mojo IPA Alström Bros

1.7/5  rDev -55%

Smell - Light, complex and fruity undertones.
Foam - Light wheat in color, lacey and creamy.
Color - Honey golden.
Taste - A dominate and sharp characteristics of a microbrew, light honey taste, hoppy and very bitter.
Mouthfeel - Smooth
Drinkability - Too bitter

1.75/5  rDev -53.7%

2.1/5  rDev -44.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

22 oz. bomber served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy peach color with a large and frothy off-white head. The head eventually settles down to a layer of froth. Nice blobs of foam typical of an IPA are left on the glass.

Smell: Pronounced grapefruit aroma with faint lemon, orange, and spruce notes. A cornucopia of hop aromas.

Taste: Sharp and tangy grapefruit smacks you upside the head. Then you get some bitter pine flavors on the finish. No malt taste at all.

Mouthfeel: Light in body, very puckering from the hop tastes.

Drinkability: Well, if you like hops, you might like this. Very unbalanced. Certainly better than Hazed and Infused, but not by much. It looks and smells good, though. Would it have hurt them to have used some malt in the brewing process?

Thanks to prAna for the sample.

2.17/5  rDev -42.6%

Light orange, big off-white head, some soapy foaminess. Strong lacing. Fresh intense citrus bouquet is sweet like a newly-invented fruit related to grapefruit but less sharp. Flavor starts with a thin sweetness of one-dimensional pink grapefruit that quickly turns bitter. Intense awful finish is certainly related to some harsh household cleanser. Prickly crushed aspirin explodes in my mouth and goes up my nose. Pretty slick and medium-thick until intense bitter finish attacks everything within a cubic meter.

This beer is a trainwreck. This is what happens when hops are added in copious amounts with little thought. Oh well, perhaps it cleaned the pipes below my kitchen sink.

2.25/5  rDev -40.5%

2.28/5  rDev -39.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

sorry, but i don't understand the positive reviews of this beer. it has a very one-dimensional flavor that is downright annoying after the first beer. too much citrus, too much sweetness, i say use your money on some good stuff... apparently i am 20 characters short of a review. Oh - not any more... But I still don't see this as a B+ beer on this website. As an example, Harpoon IPA, which is a flat B, is far superior to this mojo.

2.28/5  rDev -39.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle inot a Nonic Pint.

I would like to first say that I purchased this beer in a Boulder Beer Variety Case and I really enjoyed every other beer. This is also the third Mojo I have had from the case and my hope was the first two were just bad bottles...

Look: The pour was beautiful. It is a light amber and the clarity is amazing. The head rises up well over three fingers and creates a beautiful lacing throughout the pint.

Smell: The hops really aren't as prominent as I wold have liked. There is a certain level of sweetness to the aroma that does work well with the minimal hop presence.

Taste: I am bombarded with a metallic like sweetness that causes me to immediately pucker my lips. I don't really detect any hops up front but the bitter bite on my tongue lets me know they are there. There is also a toasted malt presence which does not agree with the overly bitter hops at all.

Mouthfeel: It leaves the mouth really dry and unsatisfied. The bitterness and sweetness semm to attack the tongue as opposed to gliding over it.

Drinkability: Of the three Mojo's I've tried this was the only one I was able to finish (only for the sake of the review) so I certainly would not want another one from this case.

As I previously said, I am very fond of both Boulder Beer and IPA's so I think this might be an old bottle due to the muted hop presence. I certainly will give this a second try if I ever see it on tap or find a fresh bottle.

2.29/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Serving Type: $1.65 12oz bottle at Total Wine. Poured from the bottle into a Rock Bottom pilsner glass, with a decent aroma collecting top.

Appearance: Amber/orange in color. Not entirely dissimilar from Nugget Nectar, though a high level of clarity. I'd have to guess filtered.

Smell: This is where things fall apart. Just sort of a big mess of Del Monte fruit cocktail, honey, and cheap [herbal glaucoma remedy]. The fruit cocktail became more pronounced as it warmed.

Taste: Oh yeah... big honey and assorted canned fruits. Some tangerine creeping out from under the weighty mess, but not enough to scream "I'M AN IPA!".

Mouthfeel: Actually not bad. Had a decent mouthfeel for an IPA. Neither too thin nor too thick.

Overall: The bottle said: "ENJOY BY MARCH 19", so I'm 13 days away from the end of code, but still... This couldn't be any less of an IPA. I've had worse beers, but I just don't see the point in buying this one again.

2.4/5  rDev -36.5%

Sorry - maybe I got a bad batch, but this was not that good to my taste buds. I am getting formaldehyde notes that are too much of a turnoff. Maybe because I worked in medical labs when I was younger and encountered formaldehyde too often, but this beer turned me off completely with its bitterness and astringent taste. This beer would be better with more floral notes and sweet malt. But as it stands, it just didn't pass the muster this round. Seems off-balanced. There are better picks amongst the many taps handles at my favorite beer bar in NYC.

2.42/5  rDev -36%

This is the fourth beer in a grab bag of old beers our neighborhood package store passed off on us for bargain prices. Hey, we're poor! At any rate, I felt that reviewing them might serve the BA community, especially those that tend to hold onto beers perhaps longer than they should. What can you expect from your dusty Mojo? Here's what I found.

A: Pours a clear golden with a slightly off-white head of about 1/2 a finger that sticks around for just a little.

S: Some pine but mostly malt.

T: A caramelly, malty presence dominates with a touch of alcohol at the start of the leave. Hop bitterness persists throughout the taste but crescendos at the start of the leave trailing off to a bittersweet afterthought that lasts throughout the typing of this sentence.

M: A medium bodied beer with a creamy but mild carbonation.

Overall: I like this better than the Mojo Risin but feel it hasn't aged as well. Other reviewers are really impressed with the hops in the Mojo but after +/- 6 months improperly stored at the liquor store the hops are basically gone. Rather than citrusy and bright as the brewers probably intended the flavor and aromatic remains are piney tending toward an earthy quietude that doesn't really play well with the left over maltiness. The beer is still an enjoyable beer but you can tell it's more of a ghost of itself. To wax poetic, this beer is like having a short conversation with a guy who almost won the championship 15 years ago. He has great stories, sure, but, kind of sad, isn't it? The Boulder Beer double settles better into old age, where the alcohol burn plays well against the otherwise cloying sweetness. Here, without the ABV or the hops, the beer seems just too off-kilter.

Mojo IPA from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub