Mojo IPA - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Mojo IPAMojo IPA

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Jon on 08-27-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mojo IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 775 | Hads: 1,852
4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours an orange/gold color with a creamy, white head that settles into a thin lace with plenty of lacing on the side of my Greene King IPA pint glass.

The aroma starts off with a blast of grapefruit goodness. This is followed by a scents of pine needles and a light caramel.

Flavor is again dominated by citrus with a light caramel backbone. Finish is not as bitter as I expected, very balanced with a slight dry earth and pine aftertaste. Mouth feel is velvet-like with brisk carbonation and very little alcohol warmth.

Overall a really good, well balanced IPA. If you like Amarillo hops, you should like this beer.

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12oz bottle. Pour resulted in a modest off-white head that gradually subsided to a thin film of bubbles by mid-glass. A few patches of lace remained. Mojo appears a hazy amber.

The hoppiness of this beer really jumps out at you. Love it!!! A strong floral-citrus bouquet greets the nose.

Damn!!! The taste does not disappoint. Medium body with modest carbonation. A sweet note hits the taste buds initially, followed quickly by the abundant tasty hops: grapefruit, lemon and pine. A tasty treat indeed!!!

This is an excellent brew that goes down smooth, especially if you are one who enjoys a substantial diet of hops. Personally, I could drink these all day.

Boulder Beer Company is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. Big fan of the Hazed and Infused as well.

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

Sampled at the '05 American Beer Fest.

Pours with a nice clear amber body and a frothy white head. The aroma was a nice, aromatic and floral hops body, with nice depth. The taste was quite good as well, with a nice bitter note complemented by some of the softer hops character and some gentle maltiness, and just a hint of citrus. One of the more pleasant IPAs I've sampled recently, and one I hope to try again soon.

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

Pours a straw pale, crystal clear, bubble effervescent brew. A good inch of head is supported well, with chunky bubbles and good tracing. Aroma is amazing, what an IPA should be. Tons of pine and grapefruit come through demonstrating some massive hops. Flavors are dominated by the hops, American I assume, followed by a tinge of some crystal malt. This brew definitely gives me hope for midwest "hop bombs". Reminds me a bit of Alpha King, and I like it very much. High carbonation mixed with the hops provide quite a sting, and the alcohol is warming. This is a highly drinkable brew, one I could kick back several of if it wasn't for the price. Mojo will sure come in handy some the warmer weather, but provides a nice change of pace from all the stouts and barleywines. Highly recommended!

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

Great beer for Rockies, I've been snapping these up whenever I make it down to Mass, although the supplies are dwindling. Hope fully they will do another batch of this hop nectar.
It pours clear, pale gold,with a dissapating head.
Big fruity aromas, peaches, pine, oranges, grapefruit. Great zest of hop. Addictive whiffing.
Nice crisp fruit in the flavor, big peaches from the Amarillo,fresh oranges,more grapefruit too. Not very warming,but not a small beer.
Hop bitterness lingers as well as the citrus. Very mild malt, drying mouthfeel and inviting aftertaste.
Great IPA, I wouldn't call it a double though.
For $8.00/sixer, its a great deal.

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

Slightly hazy copper color from draught pour. Enjoyed from the source in Boulder, CO.

Nose is a pleasing citrusy orange dominant aroma, with miscellaneous citrus and pine in the background. Big and pleasant orangey hops. Nice.

On the palate enough malt is present to balance out the hops but overall the orangey hop spice wins. I find this extremely appealing, as the beer becomes a lemonade (orangeade) of beers - great for thist quenching when you have that citrusy craving.

Finish is moderately long with plenty of tartness. Yum.

4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

Slightly tarnished yellow gold body, good clarity. Topped by a tightly woven wedge of white foam. Very good lacing.

Nice big citrus aroma, groves of grapefruits and oranges. Strong even at a foot or more.

A quick opening burst of sweet malt goodness establishes a strong foundation, but is quickly assaulted by a strong tide of earthy hops with big splashes of fruit. Hop tingle continues past the finish and long into athe aftertaste.

Nice medium mouthfeel. Solid but not too thick for summer.

Very good drinkability. Goes down quick and easy.

I'm pleasantly surprised. This far exceeded my expectations.

4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

A - A clear golden color. Slight head, and minimal lace.

S - The amarillo hops dominate. Very pleasant. You can smell it as an IPA right away.

T - A mild bitterness at first. Citrusy hops dominate. So smooth. Not as bitter as other IPAs.

M - Medium carbonation. Very smooth.

D - Excellent. It is so smooth and the alcohol is nicely hidden. I am craving another one! A very nice IPA.

4.45/5  rDev +15.6%

Hmm .. cheesily packaged beers often repel me. Such was the case with the bomber of this beer. After exhausting most other options, I gave it a shot.

And i'm glad I did! Hop-heads only. The beer pours a hazy, yeast-clouded golden orange. I could almost take a swim on the beach of bleached frothiness, but don't expect to see more than splotchy lacing on your glass.

You could pitch this beer to a smirnoff ice lover, saying it was an fruit beer. The beer is loaded with pungent whiffs and tastes of grapefruit, mango, papaya, and even limon.

My only complaint about this beer was the slightly metallic bitterness I encountered.

I caught only the occasional glance at malt, but at least there was no overly annoying sweetness at a fairly high ABV.

I do say for the drinkability factor, it rates quite high - you finish your pint before you know it. I would've gone for at least another bomber - seriously!

My fiancee noted that it could possibly be the best late warm summer beer.

Special thanks to bonsreeb85

Poured with a mighty head, golden caramel color, bubbly with good lace.

Smells of grapefruit and lemon! So much citrus. Floral hops as well. The amarillo hops definately make a statement here.

Hoppy goodness! I love it! Sort of a metallic off flavor. The best by date is this month so i think that has a lot to do with it and its past its prime but i must say the hoppyness is holding up strongly. I would love to get ahold of some of this fresh straight out of the tap.

Medium body leaves a dry feeling on the roof of the mouth.

Great drinkability! No alcohol presence for this 6.8% beauty. Could easily drink 6 of these in a night.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

MMMmmm. This poured a nice light orange color with a very frothy white head. White as hell w/cool lacing. The smell was insanely citrius hoppy. Grapefruit flavors add to the bitterness. Awesome sweet hop taste. The mouthfeel was moderate to full. Very easy drinking. This is my kind of beer. Hoppy as fuck hides the alcohol. This is very addicting.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

One of my favorite citrus style IPAs. I'm slightly biased as beers with centennial hops are always my favorite.
A- light bodied and pale in color. Head retention was good and really trapped in the hoppy taste of the beer.
S- Nothing over powering but you can get a hint of citrus.
T- a light citrus style. Hops for sure over power any malt characteristic but you can really taste the centennial hops.
O-Great beer, great brewery would recommend it to anyone just starting to drink IPAs as its not the most intense beer of the style but still has enough hop to satisfy the hophead in me.

4.46/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A: A slightly hazy golden amber color. Two fingers of tan head that left lacing all around the glass.

S: Pine, grapefruit and sweet orange. Slightly floral smell in there. There is a fairly strong malt presence.

T: It is the nose to the tee. It is malty as the nose indicated.

M: Medium body with a medium-light carbonation.

O An interesting concept. A floral IPA that actually has a solid malt backbone. This is something I don't seem to find too often and found myself enjoying quite a bit.

4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

Just absolutely wonderful, aroma was perfect, 12oz glass if I'm not mistaken, but just from start to finish - was

A: A tad cloudy, still appropriate and just downright simple for this IPA, all should take note who fall by the wayside to this brew

S: WOW WEE - tap better than glass, no doubt!

T: Are you kidding me? citrus was running all over the place!

M: I mean c'mon, if you haven't had this, you are missing the boat. scratch and sniff and find out. Tangy, just enough and just very even from beginning to end. I enjoyed it so.

D: As one of the previous responders noted - "I could drink many more", but I only had 2

Served on tap at the Union Brewhouse in Weymouth, MA, off ot Rt.3!

4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

A - Sipped straight from the bottle. A circular, hypnotic array of blues, oranges, and yellows make for an inviting and interesting look.

S - Citrusy hops, I can't wait to taste it.

T - Strong hops flavor preceded by a hint of sweet. This is a fantastic tasting beer.

M - The texture is common of a good IPA and can be felt on the middle back of my tongue. This is a nice feeling brew.

~ Let me put it to you this way. I'm going to get some more.

4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

Had this yesterday on tap at the Horseshoe Pub and liked it. A quick look at the company webpage reveals the grain bill, etc, so now I have some more education on what it was that I liked :-) Pint when served was the color of thrice brewed tea (ie, rather light-medium). Aroma came across as faint pine meets grass (Company website lists Amarillo and Centennial). I thought the mouthfeel was perfect, and appreciated the freshness in the taste. I got some nice hops which were balanced by the malt. Finished with some nice sweetness. I only ordered one, but would get it again no problem. Nice to try a new brewery!

4.47/5  rDev +16.1%

I really enjoy this IPA...better than most bottled IPA's in this neck of the woods.

Pours a hazy peach color...nice citrus/piney/tobacco hop aroma...body is about perfect...medium..carbonation is firm and perfect as well...taste is remarkably balanced for as hoppy as this smells...a nice bready backbone soaked in a juicy hop laden potion featuring a strong citrus (not so much grapefruit but sweeter citus like oranges), tobacco (sublte but a nice leafy component), and pine (just on the long finish)...

The hops as well done...very flavorfull but not a puckering blast the shit out of your mouth hop monster with no malt..

I think this is a very well done beer and one I will certainly be buying again.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

I was fortunate to find this beer at last year's Hophead Throwdown. This really opened my eyes to what I expect from an IPA.
Pours a real attractive golden orange color w/ a full finger of fluffy bright white head.
Distinct aroma of fruity hops...grapefruits and oranges galore.
Taste is superb...a nice bitterness grabs your tongue and holds on tight. The malt is very noticeable, but make no mistake...this beer is about the hops. Becomes a bit sweeter when it warms up, but the hops keep it from becoming too noticeable. Oh yeah...this is definitely a session beer.
A top notch IPA...give it a try.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

A. Light orange with a head that leaves lacing to the end.

S. Very citrusy hops. Nice aroma.

T. Wonderful taste and very well balanced with a good amount of hops.

M. Perfect amount of carbonation and a nice medium mouth feel.

D. Yeah I could drink these all day. Awesome!

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

Single 12 ounce bottle when I was in Arizona, and I should have gotten more. On to the beer:

This IPA is a clean bodied, pale orange color with a persistent rocky head. Lots of lacing is left on the sides of my chalice. The aroma is mild, but full of those little green flowers. Hops, caramel, a slightly sticky aroma, and fresh cut pine....imagine Pine Sol on the latter. The taste....oh so resiny! Very hoppy, but not overdone. It manages to pull out mango and citric flavors. Maltiness is light, but noticable. My palate love it, and it's lush oily feel is a mere bonus.

I love my San Diego IPA's, and I live 90 minutes from San Diego, so you know I get them fresh. But I regreat to inform San Diego that their offerings have been dethroned by Mojo IPA. This isn't as much in your face, but still has a beautiful intense hoppy character a hophead would crave. I drank this washing down Italian sausage stuffed tortellini with red gravy, a pairing I thoroughly enjoyed.

(Update 3/16/14: Bought a six-pack in Arizona for a mere $6.99, had a bottle for the first time in five years. Perhaps not as perfect as I remember, but still hoppy without being overworked, and very easy to drink despite its 7.2% ABV. At the very least to the masses, it's a bargain priced IPA).

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

This is probably the best $ value IPA on the market. It has the the hops content and lingering mouth feel we all want, but is not overpowering on the palate or the wallet.
appearance --> love that lacing!
smell --> makes me want to drink it fast
taste --> makes me want to drink it slow, and enjoy it
mouthfeel --> like beer should be... absolute pleasure
overall --> When I can find it, this IPA is in my fridge. There seems to be a supply issue.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

On tap at Smokin’ Joes, Southside of Pittsburgh, PA.
A: Lovely dark gold color with hues of orange throughout. Perfect amount of head for an IPA; kudos to the bartender.
S: The hops are right in your nose immediately, and they don’t go away. The varieties of hops meld nicely to create a coherent fruity and bitter scent that is pleasing and enticing.
T: Again, the hops are right on you and they stay there. However, they’re not overwhelming; rather, they’re well-balanced and complement each other nicely. Overall, fairly piney and floral. Hints of sweetness.
M: Every time I put my glass down, I wanted to pick it back up. The feeling is bitter and biting, given the style, but it’s one of the smoothest among IPAs I’ve tried.
D: Very good. I wish I could have stayed for another.
Overall, an excellent IPA. This is pretty much what I think of when I think of beer.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

Boulder Brewing co. Mojo IPA.

A: a light amber with a thin head on top.

S: lots of sweetness, light roasted malt balances everything well, pineapple, orange peel, lily flowers, alcohol.

T: light malt, bitter piney lupulin balanced by a lot of malty sweetness, lemon peel.

M: hop bitterness hits the tongue first then gets balanced out, it @ lingers a long time with sugary malt on tongue. the lupulin is up in my sinuses but I dig it.

O: a dope IPA. One of the best I’ve had out of Colorado. Sweet, hoppy, yet well balanced. Don’t drink this if you don’t want a sugar bomb though. 4.55/5.

4.51/5  rDev +17.1%

Mmm. Mojo. 12oz pours dark golden with a short, fizzy white head that settles to a nice ring. Aromas are busting out all over, with a sweet hoppiness. Something unusual, which I realize is cedar. Haven't smelled/tasted that in a beer before. Outstanding. Tiny carbonation bubbles rise slowly. At first I think this is going to be on the raw, harsh hoppy side, but as it warms the malt balance shows itself with pleasing results. There are some caramel elements here, as well as citrus hop flavors, lemon and grapefruit. Smooth finish, hops in just the right place. Oh and by the way, my first glass was gone before I knew it, and the second...

I'm of a mind that the best offense is a good defense. So it is with this and other great IPAs - that big ol' healthy dose of malt really allows those hops to shine.

4.52/5  rDev +17.4%

A- slightly hazy golden with a nice sticky white head. little bit lighter body then im used to seeing in an IPA.

S- strong hop aroma. lots of pine, spices.

T- as you can expect hops are dominate. strong and lingering piney taste is the most present. spices are close behind.

M- medium body with good amount of carbonation. this is really what an IPA should feel like in my book.

D- if you like hops then this will be quite drinkable. lucky for me a am a hop lover, only problem is i only have one bottle.

overall- i had passed a few times on buying this but im really glad i finally did. ide take this over alot of the higher ranks IPA's ive tried.

Mojo IPA from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub