Mojo IPA - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Mojo IPAMojo IPA

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Jon on 08-27-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mojo IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 767 | Hads: 1,824
3.4/5  rDev -12.8%

Pours a nice thick head with a crystal clear orange hue. Looks great. Smells good, too. I immediately smell some bready biscuit malt sweetness right up front and then it fades really fast to some strong lemon/orange/piny aromas.

Taste: Wow, for an IPA this doesn't have much bitterness to it. It may be pumped with IBUs but the bitterness is super smooth . . . almost more like a pale ale. Yup, that's it. Some malt forwardness that mellows out and then the hops gently slam into your tongue with all that hop flavor. Finishes a touch dry, but that could be some of the bitterness finally coming through. Also, cannot detect that this is 6.8%. It's a sneaky beer!

Overall, I think it certainly tastes more like a pale ale than an IPA. If you did a blind taste test with this and Dale's Pale ale, I'm sure you'd think they were both the same style. On that note, it's a bit disappointing. It's not a bad tasting beer, but not to style in my opinion. (952 characters)

2.32/5  rDev -40.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Serving Type: $1.65 12oz bottle at Total Wine. Poured from the bottle into a Rock Bottom pilsner glass, with a decent aroma collecting top.

Appearance: Amber/orange in color. Not entirely dissimilar from Nugget Nectar, though a high level of clarity. I'd have to guess filtered.

Smell: This is where things fall apart. Just sort of a big mess of Del Monte fruit cocktail, honey, and cheap [herbal glaucoma remedy]. The fruit cocktail became more pronounced as it warmed.

Taste: Oh yeah... big honey and assorted canned fruits. Some tangerine creeping out from under the weighty mess, but not enough to scream "I'M AN IPA!".

Mouthfeel: Actually not bad. Had a decent mouthfeel for an IPA. Neither too thin nor too thick.

Overall: The bottle said: "ENJOY BY MARCH 19", so I'm 13 days away from the end of code, but still... This couldn't be any less of an IPA. I've had worse beers, but I just don't see the point in buying this one again. (944 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -0.8%

A bit hazy for a non-bottle conditioned beer, but the flavor and hop make up for the look. This tastes more like a double-ipa than its American IPA BA style designation, although this distinction seems to be blurring. Nice grapefruity nose and taste, good hop mouthfeel. It is an easy beer to find and drink around Boston, so I frequently have it in my fridge as a standard.

I have also had in on tap over at Bukowski in Boston. I think I prefer the bottle, seems to have a bit more hop acidity, which i enjoy in some beers. The hop overwhelms the ABV, so if you are a hophead, be careful you will all of a sudden realize you are a bit tipsy after a few. (657 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

Had on tap from Cambridge Common, served in a chilled pint glass.The beer is a dark orange, with a bubbly white head. Beer drinks with a creamy upfront and citrus aftertaste, good fresh hop taste with a solid malt body to carry the flavor. This beers drinkability is scary for 7% ABV, allowing 3 pints to go down quickly! A tasty choice if not looking for a hop bomb but something a little more then a Harpoon or SNPA

GC (421 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -8.5%

A = Nice golden appearance little lighter than a normal IPA, head was a bit lite too. Not very thick

S = Smelled amazing, sweetness with a light malt to it

T = Not the best, I would call it average. Citrus and a bit too bitter than normal IPA. Almost a hint of metallic to it too.

M = Lot of linger on the palatte and bit of dryness late.

O = Good not great beer, would have again though. B range is about right. (418 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +5.9%

A - Pours a beautiful medium gold with a generous white head

S - Piney and citrus hop smells dominate, smells quite delicious. A bit of grapefruit and tart tangerine as well

T - More of the nose, but a little more balanced that expected. The tangerine comes out much more, but not so much that it overpowers or unbalances. Quite a delight.

M - Relatively low carbonation, with a decent coating on the mouth.

O - Very surprised by this beer, it is better to me than the rating shows! Definitely one to go back to, as it is a delicious IPA. (542 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -2.6%

22oz bomber poured into a pint glass.

A- Light copper color. One finger white head that goes fast and leaves decent sheeted lacing.

S- Light citrus, pine, bready malts come through lightly. Slight alcohol heat

T- Mango with a nice bitter piney attribute. Sweet bready malts in the finish.

M- Highly carbonated. Medium mouthfeel for the style. Easy to drink.

O- Good IPA. This bomber tastes better than I remember, maybe a recipe change? (441 characters)

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bought 6 pack of cans, drink by date 2 months from now. Poured into glass, nice looking beer, light orange glow with 1/2" head. Nose was sweet caramel with subtle grapefruit, stone fruit/grape must aroma. Smooth, sweet mouthfeel, light bitterness at first that lingers with a light dry finish. Nice beer but I get the feeling the ones I am tasting are a bit aged despite the best by date. Oxidation? (399 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -2.1%

bought a case of this to take with me on vacation with the family. poured from bottle into a pint glass. very pale amber color. has a nice hoppy nose to it. very crisp, light, yet a hoppy enough ipa for a hop head. a well crefted very enjoyable beer. (250 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +4.9%

12 ounce bottle poured into a glass goblet. Not much of a head, and it didn't really linger, which I don't mind all that much. Slight lacing.

A: Poured with a solid copper color, clear.

S: Smells like an IPA. Easily noticed hop aromas, some hints of citrus as well

T: Very pronounced hop flavors with citrus-y finish.

M: Not over-pronounced carbonation, but the flavors make up for it with a solid "full" feel to the beer.

O: Decently refreshing. You have to be in the mood for an IPA or very hoppy flavor, but it is something that would have me coming back for more. (575 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +10%

Sampled several ounces from a pitcher following a tour of Boulder Beer Brewery. Great tour. Great tour; very generous free tasting afterwards.... VERY!

A - Typical golden/amber hue of an American IPA with nice, billowing, rocky off-white head that doesn't quit soon.

S - Stinging hop spice with citrus, light earthy, pine and lemon leap out of the head.

T - Hop forward! The hop tastes explode all over the palate without imparting too much bitterness. Thick, dank, floral, citrus (mostly lemony) hop flavors.

M - Rich but not heavy feel; generously carbonated; sticky but dry

D - Supremely drinkable, especially for 7% abv

This beer is sooo much better fresh at the brewery, or on tap, than out of the bottle. I purchased a case of bottles earlier in 2009, thought it was a nice, lightish IPA for summer, and wrote it off as a mediocre, summertime IPA before trying it fresh from the brewery. It was amazingly better and much more geared towards hop-heads than the bottles I had. I found this to be far-and-away the best brew at Boulder that was available when I stopped in, for me. I do love the hoppiest of the hoppy though. I can never drink a bottle of this again now that I know how good it is fresh on tap. Almost wished I skipped the other beers at the tasting because this just blew them all away, and I wanted to savor this one brew longer and take advantage of one of the few times I'll be in the area. (1,419 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Special thanks to bonsreeb85

Poured with a mighty head, golden caramel color, bubbly with good lace.

Smells of grapefruit and lemon! So much citrus. Floral hops as well. The amarillo hops definately make a statement here.

Hoppy goodness! I love it! Sort of a metallic off flavor. The best by date is this month so i think that has a lot to do with it and its past its prime but i must say the hoppyness is holding up strongly. I would love to get ahold of some of this fresh straight out of the tap.

Medium body leaves a dry feeling on the roof of the mouth.

Great drinkability! No alcohol presence for this 6.8% beauty. Could easily drink 6 of these in a night. (667 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +2.1%

On nitro tap, served in a pint glass. This was my first nitro IPA and I must say I was pleasantly surprised.

Poured a golden yellow color with a nice cream colored, inch tall head. Creamsicle Guiness came to mind. Smell was just average for me...I could smell the citrus but not enough hops, nothing to write home about. Taste was smooth and I could really notice the citrus and amarillo hops. Very light malt backbone and a dry finish. Mouth feel was super light, almost like water. It was weird not having that CO2 carbination, but I enjoyed the nitro. It definitely changed the dynamic of this beer. I could drink this beer all day. I'd like to compare it to the regular, bottled version. (692 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +9%

Cowboy style

A: Well the bottle looked good

S: Pungent, gamey, hoppy

T: This is where the beer takes you, bends you over its knee, and paddles you. Sharp bitterness, extreme hops

M: Smooth, not too carbonated

I liked it. It took some getting used to. It's definitely an acquired taste, not for the young amateur beer sampler. I was at a friends and I didn't want to bug him to get a glass when he didn't bother with it so I just drank straight from the bottle. Still quite good. (483 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -5.6%

Oh my, Mojo it has been too long. Pardon the dramatics, but I drank skunkloads of this stuff while residing in the swampy bowels of that wang of the US, Florida. Since moving to Northern Virginia I have been slightly dismayed that Boulder Brewing was not, until quite recently that is, distributed 'round these parts. Of course let me say that there is an incredile amount of other stuff we are privy to up here, so you vindictive beer nerds can put down your empty Stone collectable bombers and limited-release DFH 750 that you were going to club me with. Right then, after that neccessarily lengthy intro, how do I actually feel about the beer? I like it. You might chalk some of that up to nostalgia, but I think this is a darned tasty IPA. The heavy use of Amarillo hops certainly stands out with a dry, grassy and grapefruit-influenced hop bite. Mmmmm. Balance is there with a hint of sweet, nutty malt peeking out timidly, but I would certainly rank this as a drier style IPA, sorta like Racer 5 or Smutty IPA. It isn't an all-time, show-stopping favorite, but I have and will continue to be drinking my share of Mojo. Hopefully their distributor (and I know who you guys are, wink wink) will work on bringing in Boulder's DIPA Mojo Risin'. (1,246 characters)

3.11/5  rDev -20.3%

Poured amber/orange in my pint glass. Creamy off white head which cleared away quickly. Initial smell nice but not much on the citrus side which I have come to expect from most IPA's. The gop flavor was mosly piney and the malty flavor was of caramel and was grainy. Not as hoppy as most IPA's. (294 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +7.7%

A good, crisp beer that had quite a punch and delivered quite nicely.

Appearance - a darker than expected IPA that held my attention throughout.

Smell - A deep, individual smell that increased my anticipation and expectation.

Taste - A nice, crisp IPA that held it flavor all the way and was much better than I had initially hoped for.

Mouthfeel - It felt good going down as I anticipated the next drink. I was very happy with the flavor this IPA packed. It wasn't the most hoppy-packed IPA, but that is definitely not a bad thing!

Overall - a good beer that is easy to drink and enjoy in many different settings. (618 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -14.1%

Pours an off pale gold. White head with not much retention and no lacing. Smells of honey, melon, and floral hops. Taste is a big hit of hops that dies quickly. Kept waiting for the hops to come on the finish but they never do; the bitter is all up front. I'm ok with IPAs that aren't bitter for the sake of being bitter, but this one just doesn't have much else going on. Some herbs and grass, and maybe some citrus at the end (as the bottle states). The mouthfeel is a little on the insipid side. Drinkability is fine, you could certainly keep going after one. Overall, a decent IPA, but not up to par with other readily available brews such as Dog Fish Head, or Stone. (671 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +6.9%

I have had the pleasure of this beer in the bottle and on tap. It appears a bright orange/yellow with a short head.

The smell is of grapefruit and stands out well.

Taste is r esin and grapefruit rind immediately on the tongue. It then washes into a full body of malt flavor wthout beeing sweet. It coats the tongue well and lingers in the mouth.

Very drinkable; bitter but not harsh. Sit back and enjoy. (412 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +16.4%

I picked up a six pack and let it sit out for a bit to take the extreme chill off the beer and bring out the flavor and nose. Pours a beautiful cloudy orange color. I had to be a little aggressive on the pour to get a decent head. The foam was slightly less creamy than expected but left a nice lace. Strong grapefruit nose and taste. Sudsy mouthfeel with a hoppy finish makes this one of the nicest IPA's I have had in a while. It was a terrific surprise how smooth and balanced it was since it had an ABV of 7.2%. I would definitely buy this again. (550 characters)

3.91/5  rDev +0.3%

An offering from the July 2009 Beer of the Month Club.

A - Pours a beautiful, clear amber with a thick creamy head. Leaves wonderful lacing down the glass.

S - Pine and citrus are evident but very faint. Not as much nose as I would like in my IPAs.

T - Well balanced, the malts and hops complement each other nicely. The taste is much hoppier than the aroma, very tasty!

M - Terrific mouthfeel, just the right amount of carb for the style.

D - An overall solid IPA. I am sorry only 3 came in the BOM shipment! (518 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was one of my first true IPA loves. I compare almost every IPA I try to this as the bar to beat. It has amazing citrus and floral notes both in the nose and the taste. It's ABV is well masked and is extremely drinkable. With all the hyped IPAs out there, this beer is a constant reminder that just because it is very available does not make it any less of an awesome beer. (377 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +17.2%

Don't have much time to report on this beer but I wanted to say at least something real quick. I had it for the first time tonight and the first thing I can say about it was what a wonderful aroma this beer had. I couldn't stop smelling it! Maybe it was this one single beer but I'm not gonna doubt anything and just that it smelled awesome. Great taste, great appearance. I could drink these all night! Really enjoyed this beer. Good job Boulder Brewing. (455 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from 22oz "bomber" bottle into a nonic style pint glass.

Appearance: Coppery color of a shiny new penny -- but translucent. Poured with a pillowy white head that has good staying power then collapses down the side of the glass leaving perfect lacing. Carbonation appears to be mild and slow.

Aroma: Nice, "American" hop aroma -- classic citrus and grapefruit with an earthy background. The telltale aroma of crystal malt is also present. Deep smells can detect a sort of "isopropyl" alcohol aroma.

Taste: Nice and balanced but does not have the aggressive hop attack that I was anticipating and hoping for. At once malty and dry. Between sips, a pleasing acrid bite emerges. This fades into notes of rosemary and pine needles.

Mouthfeel: My sample happens to be at the perfect temperature which adds immensely to the pleasure of drinking this beer. The beer feels good on the tongue, having appropriate body for the level of bitterness.

Drinkabiltiy: The beer has a fine balance and is at once satisfying but not overwhelming. This can definitely be enjoyed over the course of a session.

Overall Impression: I fine example of the style, aromatic and tasty but with subtle nuisances. I would happily accept another but with so many other great American IPA’s out there, there is nothing distinguishing that would make me seek this particular one out. (1,380 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

April 20, 2010 9:05pm, Squirming Coil 8/13/93 on bose, clear spring night sky, enough said....Poured a bottle into a pint glass. Has a deep-glowing golden appearance. A nice consistent strong head, and lots of lacing. Taste is definitely an attention getter. Hops have a dry thirst quenching quality which is both strange and tremendous at the same time. Smell is supremely inviting, and distinctively clean. But the aftertaste is really where it's at for me. First sip is a nice hoppy shot, but the aftertaste literally kicks in an extra dose of flavor a split second after the initial one ends. Then it just sits like a champ. This is one of the better IPA's I've ever had. The taste and texture is not linear in that it surprises you (albeit in a very fluid manner) at every turn. Kinda like the 20 minute YEM I'm about to absorb. (833 characters)

Mojo IPA from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub