Mojo IPA - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Mojo IPAMojo IPA

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Jon on 08-27-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mojo IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 766 | Hads: 1,821
4.32/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was one of my first true IPA loves. I compare almost every IPA I try to this as the bar to beat. It has amazing citrus and floral notes both in the nose and the taste. It's ABV is well masked and is extremely drinkable. With all the hyped IPAs out there, this beer is a constant reminder that just because it is very available does not make it any less of an awesome beer. (377 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +17.2%

Don't have much time to report on this beer but I wanted to say at least something real quick. I had it for the first time tonight and the first thing I can say about it was what a wonderful aroma this beer had. I couldn't stop smelling it! Maybe it was this one single beer but I'm not gonna doubt anything and just that it smelled awesome. Great taste, great appearance. I could drink these all night! Really enjoyed this beer. Good job Boulder Brewing. (455 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from 22oz "bomber" bottle into a nonic style pint glass.

Appearance: Coppery color of a shiny new penny -- but translucent. Poured with a pillowy white head that has good staying power then collapses down the side of the glass leaving perfect lacing. Carbonation appears to be mild and slow.

Aroma: Nice, "American" hop aroma -- classic citrus and grapefruit with an earthy background. The telltale aroma of crystal malt is also present. Deep smells can detect a sort of "isopropyl" alcohol aroma.

Taste: Nice and balanced but does not have the aggressive hop attack that I was anticipating and hoping for. At once malty and dry. Between sips, a pleasing acrid bite emerges. This fades into notes of rosemary and pine needles.

Mouthfeel: My sample happens to be at the perfect temperature which adds immensely to the pleasure of drinking this beer. The beer feels good on the tongue, having appropriate body for the level of bitterness.

Drinkabiltiy: The beer has a fine balance and is at once satisfying but not overwhelming. This can definitely be enjoyed over the course of a session.

Overall Impression: I fine example of the style, aromatic and tasty but with subtle nuisances. I would happily accept another but with so many other great American IPA’s out there, there is nothing distinguishing that would make me seek this particular one out. (1,380 characters)

4.35/5  rDev +11.5%

April 20, 2010 9:05pm, Squirming Coil 8/13/93 on bose, clear spring night sky, enough said....Poured a bottle into a pint glass. Has a deep-glowing golden appearance. A nice consistent strong head, and lots of lacing. Taste is definitely an attention getter. Hops have a dry thirst quenching quality which is both strange and tremendous at the same time. Smell is supremely inviting, and distinctively clean. But the aftertaste is really where it's at for me. First sip is a nice hoppy shot, but the aftertaste literally kicks in an extra dose of flavor a split second after the initial one ends. Then it just sits like a champ. This is one of the better IPA's I've ever had. The taste and texture is not linear in that it surprises you (albeit in a very fluid manner) at every turn. Kinda like the 20 minute YEM I'm about to absorb. (833 characters)

Found it on tap at the Spinnerstown.

The Mojo has a copper-orange color with a nice head on it. Some thin lacing left as it goes down.

Had a floral hop smell to it, very slight pine also.

It was very good, not a real hoppy IPA but a very balanced one. Could easily detect the malt. Has a little above average carbonation and an overall lighter body to it.

Great IPA to have when your having more than one, and its easily done with this fine IPA. (449 characters)

3.93/5  rDev +0.8%

A - Golden yellow, decent amount of carbination, great head retention, large amounts of lacing as the glass goes down

S - grapefruit and citrus hops followed by bitter hop smell, sweet malt smell in the background

T - Great IPA, decently sweet but enough hops stronger than the malt profile build on the palate. Hops taste of grape fruit, citrus, slight lemon, and pine. Great balance of flavors with the malt smoothing out the bitter after taste that still lingers. This beer remains true to the style.

M - Carbination matches the thickness, i'd say medium body, certainly not as thick as a DIPA. Slight oily residue left behind with each sip, but the flavor is alive and tickles the palate.

D - Very good considering 7%... people seem to love or hate this beer. I've never had Smutty nose or Stone, but those are a few extra dollars a sixer... I just can't afford right now. Maybe once I try those my opinion of this beer will change... til then... If i'm looking for a decent priced IPA for the evening this is my go to beer! (1,032 characters)

3.76/5  rDev -3.6%

beer pours out a nice hazy golden color with tons of little bubbles rising to the top. 2 finger rocky head. huge clusters of thick lace all the way down the glass. quite pretty. if you have ever stuck your nose in a bag of fresh hops and inhaled deeply, you know what this beer smells like. tastes like hops, pine needles, and citrus. starts with hoppy flavor and ends with bitterness. mouth feel is a little sharp, too acidic and carbonated. i'm not usually big in to supper hoppy beers, but this one is pretty good. (517 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -6.9%

poured into a snifter glass...

Appearance - just about what you would expect for an APA... dark golden color... no cloudiness... decent head retention...

Smell - very nice... i detect some peaches, some pine... like a piney, peachy, earthy thing... very nice...

Taste - actually, very similar to smell, peaches, pine, wonderfull sweetness - in fact, if it weren't for the hops to balance it out at the end of the taste, it wouldn't seem like an APA at all... but when the hops come in, you know what you are drinking... :)

Mouthfeel - pretty darn thick for a pale ale... if it weren't for the hops, this would be almost too thick... but because of the nice rounding out of the hops at the end, the mouthfeel 'makes sense'

Drinkability - good... could be a bit thinner for the style - but again, the thick mouthfeel (for the style) is pretty well balanced by the flavor... but it could be a bit thinner to provide better consistency through-out... the carbonation is appropriate for the style...

Overall - this doesn't taste like a cheap 'india' pale ale... i've had the cheaper ones (they are everywhere here in south florida) - but from pouring it, smelling it, and tasting it, you'll know that this is a quality brew that, for it's style, is very good...

for the price, i would definitely get this again. (1,314 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -13.3%

Had this off a nitro tap at Park in Cambridge, MA so the review was pretty much driven solely by feel, but a great way to enjoy a middle of the road IPA, so smooth. (164 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -21.5%

The Mojo in my opinion does not stand out as its own. It seems like a great beer to start people out on if they have never had an IPA or APA. light in hops and average in color it wouldn't be intimidating to people just getting started in "beer love." I do love the Boulder Brewing Company though. (297 characters)

I am really starting to get into IPA's and I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. The citrus flavor was extremely enjoyable, and it goes down pretty smooth. Drank out of the bottle. I enjoyed this a lot. (196 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +9.5%

This is a nice, citrus hopped, IPA.

A - Light Amber, with a thin, lacing head.

S - Wow, citrusy hops with a touch of pine. Clean though. Begs to taste.

T - Like the smell, grapefruit citrus hits the tongue quickly. The malt follows with a slight sweetness. The hops is what drives this beer, but it isn't bitter. Very nice.

M - Of course, the hops hangs on the tongue. Not really creamy, but does have some staying power. The alcohol warmth comes up, but not too overpowering.

D - It is hard to believe this is a 7.00% brew. Very drinkable. Good after yardwork.

Good Job, Boulder Beer! This will be on my buy list this Summer. (634 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -9.7%

Served as a pint from a nitro-tap at Winking Lizard.

A- beautiful honey amber color with a finger and a half head. Great appearance.

S- dull, malty smell. Almost no hop or floral scent.

T- relatively underwhelming taste. Odd-tasting hops with hints of alcohol

M- creamy head yields a nice feel in the mouth. Not strong alcohol notes. Easy to drink.

O- glad I tried this one. I can't say I'd consciously get it again, but still a decent IPA choice. (456 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +14.6%

Just absolutely wonderful, aroma was perfect, 12oz glass if I'm not mistaken, but just from start to finish - was

A: A tad cloudy, still appropriate and just downright simple for this IPA, all should take note who fall by the wayside to this brew

S: WOW WEE - tap better than glass, no doubt!

T: Are you kidding me? citrus was running all over the place!

M: I mean c'mon, if you haven't had this, you are missing the boat. scratch and sniff and find out. Tangy, just enough and just very even from beginning to end. I enjoyed it so.

D: As one of the previous responders noted - "I could drink many more", but I only had 2

Served on tap at the Union Brewhouse in Weymouth, MA, off ot Rt.3! (694 characters)

2.36/5  rDev -39.5%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle inot a Nonic Pint.

I would like to first say that I purchased this beer in a Boulder Beer Variety Case and I really enjoyed every other beer. This is also the third Mojo I have had from the case and my hope was the first two were just bad bottles...

Look: The pour was beautiful. It is a light amber and the clarity is amazing. The head rises up well over three fingers and creates a beautiful lacing throughout the pint.

Smell: The hops really aren't as prominent as I wold have liked. There is a certain level of sweetness to the aroma that does work well with the minimal hop presence.

Taste: I am bombarded with a metallic like sweetness that causes me to immediately pucker my lips. I don't really detect any hops up front but the bitter bite on my tongue lets me know they are there. There is also a toasted malt presence which does not agree with the overly bitter hops at all.

Mouthfeel: It leaves the mouth really dry and unsatisfied. The bitterness and sweetness semm to attack the tongue as opposed to gliding over it.

Drinkability: Of the three Mojo's I've tried this was the only one I was able to finish (only for the sake of the review) so I certainly would not want another one from this case.

As I previously said, I am very fond of both Boulder Beer and IPA's so I think this might be an old bottle due to the muted hop presence. I certainly will give this a second try if I ever see it on tap or find a fresh bottle. (1,471 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -21%

A - Clear golden color with a strong lacing.

S - Clean and flowery.

T - As IPA go this on strong side of hop taste, yeasty like bread. Flowery up front and hoppy hard finish.

M - Sudsy

O - I think it a good IPA, but my first choice. I would drink one or two, but would want something with more balance or less of a hard finish.

Go Buffs! (345 characters)

4.54/5  rDev +16.4%

12 oz bottle, best enjoyed by date of 6/12/2012 purchased at Publix (which suprised me with their selection of craft beers; cheers to Publix).

A: Somewhat cloudy copper, about 1 - 1/2 finger head. Good retention and lacing.

S: Citrus, pine, some floral notes

T: First you taste the citrusy sweetness and malt, shortly followed by the earthy hop bitterness that lingers between sips. Not overly bitter, but a very appealing flavor.

M: A little on the light side with good carbination.

O: I really like this beer. I am an admitted hop head and something about the finish of this beer keeps me wanting more. It's a shame I've already drank through six of these. Bravo, and hopefully an encore soon. Great session beer if someone else has your car keys. This goes down very easy for a 7.2 abv. (795 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +6.9%

This is a smooth, well balanced IPA. it presents itself with a clear amber/orange color. Inside my 22oz. glass, it has a very pleasant citrus aroma. Very good mouth feel. Good amount of bitterness without being overpowering. This IPA would be a solid introduction to those who are new to this style. (299 characters)

Pours orange / copper / golden color with lingering white head. Had this a bunch of times. Aroma of hops characterized predominantly by citrus notes, with a pound cake malt aspect noticeable as well. Flavor reflects the aroma, dominated by citrus like hops, although it is somewhat balanced for an IPA this bitter with cakey malt undertones. Leaving a lasting bitterness on the finish. Can’t argue with this one, a great rendition of the india pale ale. Full bodied, yet smooth mouth feel, slightly creamy. Nice. (514 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%

Mojo IPA has a really pretty golden orange color, very clear, and the head deflates quickly. The hops are very present in its flowery aroma, I'm almost tempted to just sit and sniff before getting around to drinking.

It has a great bitey sting of a very hoppy beer, but not overly dry. I still feel like I've had something refreshing to drink rather than running for a glass of water.

I don't get so much of a citrus feel as a little bit bitter, a really exciting flavor combo that stands up well to more spicy foods, but my taste buds are a bit annihilated when I'm done (regardless of what the pairing is). This is definitely a beer I will look to replenish in my collection once I've finished what I have. (714 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +6.9%

I picked up a sixer of this the other day and fell for it pretty hard... I have really fallen in love with amarillo hops and the IPA showcases them great! Very light and crisp, the aroma has a strong citrus note and finishes very nice... I would recommend this to someone who isn't into IPA's because it isn't too bitter and is a great example of how to showcase a certain hop... (379 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -9.7%

Nice beer that drinks smooth but leads to a slow, almost time-delayed, bitter aftertaste, perhaps due to the strong carbonation.

A nice gold/orange color with a nice sticky head and a nice citrus/tangy aroma. Compared to other IPAs the hops profile is a little toned down. Definitely a beer I could do a long, slow session with though. (337 characters)

4.14/5  rDev +6.2%

Drank out of a Tulip Glass

Appearance- Clear Golden Color, with good creamy head retention, very bright eye catching label

Smell- Hoppy but not overbearing, Citrusy, Earthy

Taste- Smooth Mouthfeel, Hoppy, lemony citrus

Very Drinkable

All in all a very nice IPA, that I would suggest to my friends. (302 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

A. Light orange with a head that leaves lacing to the end.

S. Very citrusy hops. Nice aroma.

T. Wonderful taste and very well balanced with a good amount of hops.

M. Perfect amount of carbonation and a nice medium mouth feel.

D. Yeah I could drink these all day. Awesome! (276 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +12.3%

Great IPA from a very underrated brewery. I think these guys make some really killer beers. This beer has been a stand by for me for sometime. Great fresh hop flavor and the great refreshing taste that these ale are known for. Strongly recommend this ale to anyone who loves a bitter ale. Nowadays that seems like almost everyone, and this is truly an everyday, working man's beer, especially at this CONSISTENT quality and price. (430 characters)

Mojo IPA from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub