Mojo IPA - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

good

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Jon on 08-27-2003

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,765 | Reviews: 766
3.92/5  rDev +3.7%

Appearance: Golden color with white head that does not disappear too quickly.

Smell: Very citric, spicy aroma.

Taste: Rich, hoppy bite- citrus/floral dominates. Hops are not too oppressive but definitely overpower the malt. Hop bitterness reains right through the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Hops slap around the tastebuds but this brew is otherwise smooth. Medium-bodied.

Drinkability: Great for hop-heads like myself. Not as strong a brew (like Hops Infusion) but tasty.

4.17/5  rDev +10.3%

Never one to turn down an IPA, I picked this one up this summer during the trip to the Great Midwest.

It's a lightly hazy but bright copper in the glass. The head is snowy white with tons of lace. Crazy hop aromas here. The hops provide herbal, citrusy and floral aromas.

As expected, a nice amount of hops delivered in this beer. It's snappy and spicy in the mouth. A bit of pale malt but nicely showcasing the hops in this one. Hops dominate the finish and the aftertaste. A nicely hopped ale, at least for a regular IPA.

This is a nice beer and a nice surprise. I was disappointed with the dry-hopped Hazed and Infused but this beer delivers. Recommended.

3.52/5  rDev -6.9%

This beer smelled sweet and hoppy, like an IPA should. It tasted very hoppy, grapefruity, and had a hint of citrus peel at the end. However, this one was hard to drink after a while, something didn't sit right for me in this one. I was expecting a bit more from this beer.

4.12/5  rDev +9%

A big fan of the Bolder Beer brews and this is no exception. Plus the bottle was clearly stamped with bottle date.

A - Pours a clear copper color with a nice head that slowly fades into a large mid cap. Lacing was steady and strong. Not much haze in this one.

S - Pine and light on the hops. A very solid IPA sent IMO.

T - Kinda like the smell, a bit more hops are present on the palate.

M - Tang of the pine hits you up front with an intense hop finish, well crafted and very tasty for the price... $8 / 6 pack.

D - This is a strong representation of a fine IPA. It has all you need, intense hops and a clean finish. The 7% makes it easy to get in trouble. Highly recommended.

Bulder Beer Company from what I've experienced craft some pretty fine brews. This one will not disappoint.

2.48/5  rDev -34.4%

Sorry - maybe I got a bad batch, but this was not that good to my taste buds. I am getting formaldehyde notes that are too much of a turnoff. Maybe because I worked in medical labs when I was younger and encountered formaldehyde too often, but this beer turned me off completely with its bitterness and astringent taste. This beer would be better with more floral notes and sweet malt. But as it stands, it just didn't pass the muster this round. Seems off-balanced. There are better picks amongst the many taps handles at my favorite beer bar in NYC.

3.55/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Twelve ounce brown glass, stamped OCT2907. I'm using a polygonal witbier glass.

Pours straight copper, slightly hazy, with a medium viscosity. Head got up to a finger but didn't last long. It was tightly beaded and laced the glass respectably.

Medium nose of grapefruit rind and a twinge of pale malt. Nothing new there.

A big hop presence on the tongue, of course. It's bitter bordering on astringent, like the pith of an orange. A little bit syrupy in feel thanks to a healthy addition of maltage. The pithy presence lingers. I would much prefer a more crisp hop bite to be honest.

OK, not great.

The first thing I thought when I poured this was: “Ooh. Nice color.” Crystal clear with a gold/orange hue. Some head that seems to be leaving a good bit of lacing on the way down. Nose is heavy on the hops. Flavor is slightly tart with that thick hop presence. Feel is high in carbonation and comfortable. Very drinkable, if you can deal with the hops.

3.62/5  rDev -4.2%

Aroma: Very fruity. Grapefruit, peaches, mango. It also had a flowery like aroma.

Looks: Slight haze. Amber/orange/copper (light) in colour. Average sized off-white head. Some lace.

Taste: Ruby red grapefruit, guava, mango, pineapple, pineapple. Very fruity, Idunno where all these tropical fruit flavours are coming from. There is a touch of honey sweetness at first with a good bitter finish. Some grassiness.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied. Smooth, soft mouthfeel. Lower than average carbonation.

Overall, A great IPA!

4.17/5  rDev +10.3%

Pours a fairly light transparent gold color with moderate head and huge lacing. Smells like a decent IPA but it is a bit metallic with only very subtle fruit aromas.

The taste is a pleasant surprise. Sweet and quiet satisfying. This is one of the best mouthfeels on an IPA I've tasted. I'm tasting my buddy's Hopslam simultaneously, so Mojo doesn't quite measure up to that, but it holds its own.

Overall: This isn't going to blow you away with its complexity, but it has great mouthfeel, and is a fairly cheap.

4.42/5  rDev +16.9%

This has always been one of my favorite beers. Though I was introduced to the Looking Glass Series with Mojo's little brother, Hazed and Infused, I quickly saw that this brew was much more in line with my taste.
Fantastic nose with touches of orange zest, pine sap, and big amounts of Amarillo Hops. The taste is refreshing and crisp when icy cold, and only opens up as it warms. Never too oily or sticky as some bigger IPA's can tend to be, but never short on the finish. There is just enough sweet maltiness to counteract this lively hopped beer.
Mojo is one of the greatest IPA's made. There, I said it.

4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

thanks to mmtmatrix for this brew! cheers

This extra beauty is a damn fine IPA. A rich hoppiness finds it way past the thick 2 finger, white, head and onto my unsuspecting tongue. Damn fine indeed. This light colored brew is full of bitter, hops, and feel. It's a great IPA to get for all occasions and I assume at a relatively low cost.

Overall, I will grab a couple of these if I see them again. Thanks again mmtmatrix for this great extra!!

Cheers!!

3.55/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a sixer of this in Florida when I was visiting my sister. It is just an okay IPA. I had read a little bit about this company and decided to pick it up since I can't get this in Texas. I am glad that I bought it, but I won't be searching this one out again.

Poured a 12oz. into a pint glass.

Appearance - It pours a transparent slightly-darker-than-straw color. Very gold hued. It produced a 1 finger white head that quickly dissipated to a halo around the glass.

Smell - Primarily lemony citrus. There is a bready caramel note as well. There is a boozy note that mends the caramel and lemon together after agitating the glass in a circular motion.

Taste - The flavor is mainly light lemony citrus and piney hops. The malt make an appearance in the middle of the flavor and then get pushed aside by the hops. The flavor is okay, but this is a lighter tasting American IPA, IMHO. The finish has a light bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied. Prickly carbonation adds a nice sensation as it washes over the tongue. The carbonation helps to cut through the light body and the relatively light flavor of the beer.

Drinkability - It was a okay beer. It didn't have the "oumph" I was looking for in an IPA. This would be a perfect lawnmower or outdoor BBQ beer. It is easy to drink, but I wouldn't have more than one in a session because I enjoy a beer with a bigger bang.

This was a mediocre IPA. The flavor was okay, but it didn't pack the punch that I look for in my IPAs. That said, it should still be tried and if they sell it in your area, you should pick it up and give it a shot. I just won't be crossing any state lines to pick it up anytime soon.

3.95/5  rDev +4.5%

This was the last bottle of a 6 pack I've had in my fridge for well over 6 months. One day at the beer store I finally decided to succumb to the curiosity of what laid behind the groovy labels on the Boulder Beers Mojo and Hazed and Infused. It turned out to be a disappointing weekend.

I remembered Mojo as being by far the superior of the two beers, but not being all that impressed by it either. So it was a very pleasant surprise when I cracked this final bottle open this evening, to discover that it was actually a lot better than I remembered it.

Drinking it now, I would definitely buy it again. It is highly refreshing and has a beautiful hoppy aspect. I sit here and smile wryly as I type this and ponder that for the last 6 months at least, I have been wandering around with a completely inaccurate view of this beer.

I wish I had a few more to drink after this one. Still, I did just buy a shit load of Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale, so life's not all that bad.

3.03/5  rDev -19.8%

Decent session I.P.A. Pours an almost lager-like yellow, but with a big frothy head. Taste is not very complex: light hops and citus, with a lingering alcohol aftertaste. Very light and refreshing for an I.P.A., which really isn't a good thing for us hop-heads...

3.82/5  rDev +1.1%

Looking Glass Series #4 I purchased this and consumed it at Market Cross Pub and Brewery, served cold in a 1/2 pint.

A - A gently hazed light amber/almost golden w/ 2 fingers of off white head. The lace is substantial and holds fairly well.

S - A good dose of amarillo hops in the aroma w/ a tangerine/citrus and slightly vegetal aroma w/ a musty lightly herbal note that seems to hava a light sour aspect w/ a healthy dose of sweet malt scents and fruity juicy cherry-like esters.

M - Resinous, slightly acidic in feel w/ a touch of carbonation and malty medium full textures that are both dry and boozy, but barely so. The hops are the focus and are sweet, dry, oily leafy, et al.

T - A nice sampling of amarilla in an IPA, The effervescence seems to lessen the enjoyment of the hops for me as their semi resinous and fresh flavor is tasted. The crystal malt sweetness is evident in the flavor of the full on IPA w/ American character. I like how the hops have a consistency that carries ovver from the smell, feel and taste. It shows a commitment to the flavoring and bittering of the IPA. I enjoyed the blend of malt and hops, just feel the effervesence should be toned a bit.

D - A good American IPA, not the most flavorful or balanced, but I happen to love Amarillo hops which are prominently utilized in this recipe. The overall flavor is good, but at 6.8% I might not want more than 2 or 3 of these in a night- a tasty IPA

3.34/5  rDev -11.6%

Just above average is a good way to describe this beer. The appearance as typical, hazy yellow with some gold. Slight head, some lacing. Smelled pretty good, hops & grain filled the nose immediately. After sitting for a moment, the smell faded slightly, but still nice. Tasted some hops, but not nearly as dominant as I prefer. Again, just above average for everything else. I wouldn't mind drinking more, but it's not something I intend to go out of my way to find.

3.45/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This beer struck me as a pretty middle-of-the-road, crowd pleasing IPA. I would describe as true-to-style for an American IPA, and those looking for a pretty easy to drink IPA with a fair amount of hoppiness for the style and some nice but not over-the-top citrus notes will not be disappointed.

This beer poured a dark yellow color into my pint glass with a whitish head that formed big soapy bubbles and left a small amount of lacing. Aroma was a light and balanced hop citrusness. Flavor was as I've described above, and was average but by no means disappointing. Mouthfeel was fairly light, but thin.

There are a ton of IPAs out there, so it's tough to make a unique one that still tastes good. This one is not unique, but does taste good (and it seems like I've had quite a few that don't here lately).

I bought this bottle at Murray's Wine&Spirits "going out of business sale."

Recommended.

4.58/5  rDev +21.2%

Mojo Ipa Boulder Beer

Poured into my ginormous mug.

Appearance: 5.0 Orange color with ridiculously huge head and insane retention.

Smell: 4.5 Huge centennial hoppiness on the nose. Some pale malts come out on the nose as the beer warms.

Taste; 4.5 Pale malts with an insane hoppiness and bitterness. Hops dominate this beer. Nice earthy and piney flavor. Just in your face hops. Malts come out with a mild balancing sweetness as the beer warms.

MF: 4.0 Nice moderate carbonation that clings fairly well.

D: 5.0 The balancing of this beer make it incredibly drinkable. This is one hell of an ipa.

I copied it from microsoft word. My internet was down.

3.57/5  rDev -5.6%

Thanks Tayner for this trade.

12oz. single brown bottle poured into a pint. No dating

A: Pours an extremely clear bright orange. 2 big fingers of white head that dies to a 1/4 inch pillow. Patchy lacing at first, then nothing.

S: Floral hops with a strong backbone of citrus. Very sweet smelling malts but without a lot of grainy/breadiness.

T/M: Tangy citrus hops. Big grapefruit and lemons. Spicy, peppery bite isn't really there. Malt come in a bit towards the rear adding a strange twang and sweetness. Body is very light and finish has a weak drying.

D: Very easy to drink and not much bite. Would make a good session beer but definitely on the lower tier of American IPA's.

3.97/5  rDev +5%

I wasn't impressed by the paleish yellow color. Things get noticeably better with the piney, citrusy hop aroma. The overwhelming piney, citrusy hop flavor may be offensive to some, but I liked it. Could use a little bit more maltiness to balance out, which would improve taste and drinkability. Not a great, but a good IPA.

4.09/5  rDev +8.2%

Received in a trade from OWSLEY069...thanks!

Pours a pale golden color with good carbonation and decent lacing as well. Smell is very fresh and inviting. Grapefruit, orange, and sweet citrus dominate. Taste is very nice all around. Some pale malt in there that does well with the hops. Hops aren't too bold (this bottle says best by 10/16/07, tomorrow) but stand firm to the nice malt backbone. Good mouthfeel, not overly bitter and slightly drying in the end. This is a great all around beer and one that I could see myself enjoying often if I had access to it. It doesn't stand out but definitely represents well. Yummy.

4.01/5  rDev +6.1%

Pours an amber color, clean with moderate carbonation. Very nice white-colored head with good retention and lacing.

Aroma is very hoppy at first, then softens to show a carmelly malt backbone with a touch of dark fruit. Hops continue to linger with a sharp, almost peach-like aroma.

Taste is very hoppy, with citrus and piney flavors. Some malt and caramel does come through late, but is quickly dominated by a bitter, piney hop finish.

Medium body. Very drinkable with a pleasant aftertaste.

3.63/5  rDev -4%

A - Clear gold copper with a 2 finger frothy white head and some chill haze. Some lacing left on the glass.

S - Not much more than a little floral/piney hop smell.

T - Citrus hops and some nice piney resin flavors also some fruity ester flavors are detected. Malty sweetness is well balanced. Nice and bitter in the finish. Bready malt flavors also noted.

M - What I expect from an American IPA: Rather medium bodiedand the carbonation is right-on. A little alcohol warming in the stomach, not the mouth.

D - Overall this is a good brw from the fine brewers of Boulder Beer Co. A much more toned-down version of Hazed & Infused, but good nonetheless. Recommended for any true hop head.

3.63/5  rDev -4%

poured into a snifter glass...

Appearance - just about what you would expect for an APA... dark golden color... no cloudiness... decent head retention...

Smell - very nice... i detect some peaches, some pine... like a piney, peachy, earthy thing... very nice...

Taste - actually, very similar to smell, peaches, pine, wonderfull sweetness - in fact, if it weren't for the hops to balance it out at the end of the taste, it wouldn't seem like an APA at all... but when the hops come in, you know what you are drinking... :)

Mouthfeel - pretty darn thick for a pale ale... if it weren't for the hops, this would be almost too thick... but because of the nice rounding out of the hops at the end, the mouthfeel 'makes sense'

Drinkability - good... could be a bit thinner for the style - but again, the thick mouthfeel (for the style) is pretty well balanced by the flavor... but it could be a bit thinner to provide better consistency through-out... the carbonation is appropriate for the style...

Overall - this doesn't taste like a cheap 'india' pale ale... i've had the cheaper ones (they are everywhere here in south florida) - but from pouring it, smelling it, and tasting it, you'll know that this is a quality brew that, for it's style, is very good...

for the price, i would definitely get this again.

Pours a slightly cloudy copper color with a thin head. I don't get any hops in the nose. Did I get a mislabeled bottle or something? Doesn't taste like a IPA at all. Tastes malty and yeasty and slightly flat, thin, and watery. I gave it 3.0 across the board as I obviously got a old, bad, or mislabled beer. Better luck next time I guess.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Mojo IPA from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub