Mojo IPA - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Mojo IPAMojo IPA

good

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: Jon on 08-27-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mojo IPA Alström Bros
3.98/5  rDev +5%

After trying the Mojo, really looking forward to finding more Boulder Beer brews (Boulder says they’re the first Colorado microbrewery).

Great pour, hazy amber orange with a foamy ivory head – nice lacing all the way down the pint glass. Carbonation never stopped.

Sharp florals and citrus in the nose, and then the grassy pines took over on the quaff – along with the florals and herbs. Quite a nice hop kick finish. Tad thin bodied, still quite crisp and tart.

Good sipper brew, gotta watch out for the 6/8% kick in the sack. Fine example of an IPA.

Vancer, Jan 24, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

12 oz bottle.

Loved the Hazed & Infuzed..this one follows in it's footsteps pretty nicely. I've had more than a few six-packs of this in my day, and it never fails to dissapoint. This is a great beer to have sitting in the fridge if you need a hop fix from time to time. The smell is a bit subdued for an IPA (in my opinion), but there is a nice floral hop aroma. Crisp taste and the hops come out in full force now..i was surprised at how hoppy this was. A very solid IPA that I'd recommend to any hophead.

hero27, Jan 22, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -1.6%

Poured a hazy copper colored amber with very little head with light lacing, appears to be moderately carbonated. Smells richly of floral hops and evergreen pine scents, slight hints of malt undertones. Tastes hoppy, almost too hoppy to the point of imbalance as there doesn't seem to be much in the way of malt to hold some sort of uniformity. Despite that fact, this beer is easily one of the mildest IPA's I've sampled, drinks very easily and covers up that 7% abv nicely. Mouthfeel is lighter carbonation, nothing over the top there. All in all, a nice mild IPA, would purchase again.

danielocean03, Jan 21, 2006
3.13/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured into a glass.
This beer had promise. Good pour...nice head, fruity and malty aroma, good golden color.

Then the head disappeared, the aroma was gone and the taste wasn't as IPA as I'd anticipated. The hops were present, but overshadowed by the citrus. Finish lingered for about, oh, 1 second. It didn't taste bad, just nothing special.

Mebuzzard, Jan 13, 2006
4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

Had this on tap at the Sunset Grill and Tap in Brighton (an amazing spot, for those who haven't been).

Poured a nice head...not too thick, not too thin...just right. Head retained throughout. Nice Light ambre color.

Aroma wasn't overpowering, but there was the unmistakeable presence of the Amarillo hops.

The overall balance was good although I could have used just a bit more bitterness. Great mouthfeel with a very pleasant finish. All in all a very drinkable beer especially considering the slightly higher ABV%.

RyToy, Jan 12, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a golden amber, slightly cloudy, and an agressive pour gives a two finger fluffy white head, with really nice lacing. Smell isn't shy, lots of floral hops, a little piney. Taste is very hoppy in character, not as overpowering as I remembered it being, which was actually a pleasant surprise for some reason. Good mouthfeel. I'm not going to say anything new that hasn't been said, just that I really like drinking this beer.

objectivemonkey, Jan 06, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +14.2%

Oh, I just love this beer. I don't have a huge selection, but it's one of the few I go back to right now. Some reason being is it smell fabulous, drinks very well and tastes as good or better at room temp than it does fresh from the fridge. So I usually savor this beer and let the flavors evolve. In fact, I often give it an hour on the counter before I pour. Mainly though, the brew is heady enough that it does it's job even taking it slow and two of these will get me kinda loopy, esp for a weeknight.

The flavor begins with strong bitterness, followed by the aromatic (as are others from this brewery) nutty and finally a mellow sweetness in the aftertaste.

I've had it on tap once before and it's better from the bottle.

snilsen13, Jan 03, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +15.6%

I was unfamiliar with Boulder Beer and their offerings until I went to the New England Beer Festival and picked up some brews for house. I like the Hazed and Infused (and yes, the bottle was pretty damn cool looking too!) so when I went back for the party at Harpoon last month, I ended up getting the Never Summer Winter Ale and this. The bottles, once again, were cool, but the stuff inside was pretty amazing too. That matters more than anything else to me!

Beer poured a warm, amber color with a head that filled up the remaining space in my pint glass. I'm unfamiliar with Amarillo Hops, but this IPA has a wonderful mouthfeel, flavor, and aftertaste to it. Most IPA's I've had are very overpowering but this one was more mellow and grew on me as I went through the bottle and the serving warmed up more and more. Didn't hit me in the face up front, and there's a good measure of citrus and mint flavors present here as well. A slight malty backbone provides a good balance too, enough to make me want another sip, but not to dull out the hoppiness that one expects in a beer like this. Maybe one of the best aftertastes I've enjoyed in a quite a long time!

It's nice to see a concoction like the Mojo IPA stand apart from the other offerings of this style that I've had before, while helping to expand the range of one of my favorite styles of beer. If only I could find their offerings in my home state!

JerzDevl2000, Jan 03, 2006

Part of a 6 pack of mixed offering from Papago BC for 6.99.

This brew poured an orangish-golden color with a nice fluffy head that has retained well. Nose is malty with floral hop overtones. Taste is well balanced between the malts and the citrusy floral hops. Mouthfeel is full for the style and lively on the palate. Drinkability is very good, a nicely balanced beer that tastes like a session beer but must be treated with respect in terms of quantity because of the ABV. Nice beer!

arizcards, Dec 24, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

22-Oz bomber I brought back from Albuquerque.

Pours a mildly hazy amber colored beer with an OK head.

Smell is malt and pleasant citrus, mint, menthol and pine scents from the hops. Sweet malt has a cracker smell to it. Good balance that doesn't hake your nasal passages itch.

Taste is neutral sweetness with grassy and lemon sour hop flavors in the first taste. Grassy hops and slight bitterness are the major flavors next with a nice aromatic hop burp. One of the milder flavored IPAs and that isn't a bad thing; Stone Ruination isn't a "Normal IPA." This one builds in flavor as you drink it rather than numbing your sense of taste in two sips. Very good IPA for a non-hop head.

Mouthfeel is good.

A nice tasty IPA that non-hop heads can enjoy but this is by no means a weak IPA, just a well-balanced one. Still this isn't a flavorless beer just not an over the top version of the style.

Zorro, Dec 17, 2005
3.63/5  rDev -4.2%

There is no freshness date on the bottle. This has an amber colour with a rather head and is fairly cloudy. When I sniffed into the bottle it seemed very much a herbal hop concoction with a rather metallic nose, but in my glass it smells much sweeter.

It adopts the numerous miniscule bubbles approach to carbonation and begins sweetly before giving way to a bitter orange rind hoppiness. Not bad at all, but not oustanding for an IPA of this strength says this spoiled adopted Oregonian (when I lived in Ohio I would have swooned over this stuff). It seems to get sweeter and change from orange rind to ruby red grapefruit as it warms. Don't serve too cold!

charlatan, Dec 15, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +17.4%

MMMmmm. This poured a nice light orange color with a very frothy white head. White as hell w/cool lacing. The smell was insanely citrius hoppy. Grapefruit flavors add to the bitterness. Awesome sweet hop taste. The mouthfeel was moderate to full. Very easy drinking. This is my kind of beer. Hoppy as fuck hides the alcohol. This is very addicting.

kbnooshay, Dec 14, 2005
3.85/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured into a pint glass, slightly hazey, tan copper. Smell of grapefruit in the hops, blueberry notes as it warms.

Juicy apple pear fruit start and finish of lime and orange rind hops. Great hop burps that had me thinking I'd ate a sugared Christmas wreath.
Medium body, carbonation shows up right to keep things even. Bitterness is enjoyable, not overwhelming.

After all the IPAs I've had recently, I didn't expect much from the Mojo but it turns out I like this stuff. Smooth sip, nice body, super piney hop burps, I'll have to try it again in the future.

ChiSox05, Dec 11, 2005
3.9/5  rDev +2.9%

Draught: This beer pours a darker amber color with some off-white head. It does leave some lacing down the glass. There are definite notes of grapefruit and pine to the nose. Maybe a hint of floral also. The taste is fairly well balanced, with a decent malt body. Slightly bitter taste with flavors of grapefruit and pine. A decent quaff.

Boto, Dec 07, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +8.2%

A: Cloudy orangey with a small head that dissipates. leaves a bit of lace.

S: Aroma of citrus, orange, lemon. hoppy!

T: hoppy with citrus, lemon, orange. Bitterness is definately there, but not overpowering and it is a lemony bitterness.

M: Very smooth and silky with a nice finish. Not overpowering like some IPA's.

D: Definately refreshing and drinkable. Would have another one of these in a heartbeat! It's got the Mojo.

bjohnson, Nov 30, 2005

Appearance: Slightly hazed orange copper off white head fine sporadic lacing is left, not bad. Aroma: Citrus, hop leaf grassy notes along with grapefruit tones balanced with a rolling malt base that is evident here. Taste: Hoppy IPA, the bitterness takes shape with a rolling pine and citrus mainly grapefruit expression, with the malt base forming a creamy sweetness blended with the solid offering of hops. Mouthfeel was medium bodied with a nice strong carbonation and slightly oily somewhat resinous texture. Drinkability: Very nice all around IPA served on draft at the Sharp Edge Creekhouse, hop burps were plentiful.

WVbeergeek, Nov 30, 2005
4.4/5  rDev +16.1%

12oz bottle from nvsblman as part of BIF 19. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed 1/2" beige head above the slightly cloudy orangey golden brew. Head lasts okay, with nice lacing. Aroma is pungent green hops. Taste starts with reasonably sweetness, and then the hops slowly begin to move in and take over. Flavor profile melds together very nicely. This brew has the softest initial mouthfeel of any I think I've had, and couples with incredible smoothness, especially for a hoppy brew. This makes the drinkability excellent as well. Terrific brew.

ppoitras, Nov 16, 2005
3.75/5  rDev -1.1%

Mojo IPA pours hazy; this orangish-gold beer develops a thin, 1/8" head in my pint glass. The head collapses into a soapy ring. Carbonation is moderate, with a steady stream of small bubbles. Moderate lacing. The aroma is, as expected, dominated by the bitter citrus aroma of the hops; the hops also giver off pine and herbal aromas. After a little bit, a caramel scent from the malts is picked up. The hops and malt complement each other in the aroma very nicely.

Upon first taste, the hop bitterness is very strong; upon additional tastes, the impact of the hops decreases somewhat. The Amarillo hops give off a (somewhat one-dimensional) citrus flavor as well. In about a second or so, the sweet caramel flavor of the hops comes through. For a beer of this ABV, the lack of any flavor coming from the alcohol is somewhat surprising; all it does is provide a mild warming effect. The mouthfeel is full and moderately slick and oily. This combination, once you get accustomed to it, is fairly pleasant. Finishes "wet", with a lingering pleasant bitterness.

Overall, this beer is reasonably enjoyable; I've had better IPAs, but this is among the best readily available in Nebraska (sadly). It's worth checking out.

swid, Nov 14, 2005
4.03/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance: Pours from the the 12 oz bottle into my pint glass a clear orangish/amber color. Pouring three bottles of the six pack all I can muster is a tight 1/4 inch white head. However, the head settled to a thick cover with sheets of lacing down the sides. Wickedly carbonated, never ending streams and waves of bubbles flow from the bottom of the glass to the top of the liquid.

Smell: Dominant aroma of hops, a little piney, and citrus. Hint of malt backing it up as it warms, but the hops just drown it out in the end.

Taste: Hops, then some hops, followed by hops. Thin malt backing throughout. While I'm sure some would see this as only an average hopped beer, I think it falls right where it should for an IPA, perhaps a touch strong unbalanced. Interesting there is not an overwhelming bitterness to the beer. While I found H&I too be too over the top and one dimensional for an APA, I think this falls in line for what an American IPA should be.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, well carbonated and lively. While it is hoppy it is not really very bitter. My bottle says it is 6.8% ABV, which is very well hidden. Alcohol not noticed.

Drinkability: After one, I was ready to pan this as one dimensional, and not very well done like the H&I. After two, I was intrigued, it was different than H&I, and it fell more in line with what I think an IPA should be. After three I was hooked, but half a six is enough for now.
This is a solid beer from Boulder Brewing, my favorite by far.

BigRedN, Nov 11, 2005
3.83/5  rDev +1.1%

Crisp gloden color, head made of small bubbles that congragate around the edge of the galss, giving a miniscus effect. Really a rather nice looking beer. Smell is both earthy and citrusy. Very delicate flavor, nice grainy malts (almost like a pilsner) but layerd hop flavors consistant with an IPA. The mouthfeel is also very delicate, quite soft. Good drinkability, though slightly parching.

Bcant, Nov 02, 2005
3.45/5  rDev -9%

This pours a very big head,two fingers,but the color is a little light.This looks like a lager,it's too light and clear for my tastes.The aroma is pretty good,a citrus hoppy mix that you would expect.You can really taste the citrus flavor in this.It's a grapefruit and hop mixture thats good,but a little weak finishing.The m/f is light and a bit watery,average.This isn't a bad IPA.but why would you drink this when you could have a Dogfish Head.

jmz62565, Oct 31, 2005
3.7/5  rDev -2.4%

I got to sample this beer at Old Chicago's in Sioux Falls SD. Nice to know that we can get good beer in SD. Mojo poured a magical copper color that is very consistent with an IPA. A clear color that shows it has been filtered. A decent head that remained for some time but eventually did disappear. Limited lacing.

The smell was a good medium aroma as far as IPA's go. It wasn't overpowering knockout but it was still noticeable. A good pine smell with some grassy notes on the top. There is a malt backing with a sweet almost cinnamony tone to it.

The taste is well balanced. A good aroma kick at first with stronger citrus and grassy tastes. Not much on the bittering side this beer is mostly consistent of aroma hops. There is no oily taste, which can be noticeable with floral hoppy beers. The malt is very sweet. It is light and kind of basic in flavor but some hints of biscuit and breadiness are noticeable.

The beer is medium body. And I was pretty surprised it was 7%. Very smooth and easy drinkable beer. Overall this was a good IPA. Good presence of floral, smooth to drink. I would recommend this one for sure.

Oxymoron, Oct 21, 2005
4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

Golden brown in color with a huge bubbly white head.
Aroma is of piney hops.
The flavor is piney all the way, with a bit of citrus and malt sweetness near the finish.
Mouth feel is medium bodied, but I think it could use a bit more carbonation.

This is a wonderful IPA, definitely recommended for the hop heads.

Naes, Oct 20, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +10.3%

This pours into an Imperial pint glass with great foamy head. The aroma released is of floral and grass mixed with a little citrus. The hops so present from the bite up front to the bitter aftertaste; a pure hop delight. The body is a little thin, being that the hops overpower the malt is this brew. This is a great session brew. As a side note it appears to me that the Colorado brews are really making impact.

phishgator, Oct 18, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +15.6%

On tap at O'neill's Pizza Pub. Poured into a chilled pint class, that I allowed to warm before tasting.

Hazy bronze color with a small creamy white head that disappears quickly. The aroma is of pine and herbal hops. The taste is fantastic. Herbal hops, and piney with a small bit in the aftertaste. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, rich, and smooth with ample carbonation. Overall, this is a very good IPA.

KarlHungus, Oct 11, 2005