2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Mojo IPA - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Mojo IPAMojo IPA

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: Jon on 08-27-2003)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mojo IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,481 | Reviews: 745 | Show All Ratings:
drinkiusmaximus

3.03/5  rDev -20.3%

A- yellow orange see through with a thin head which fades fast little to no lacing.

S- smell of bitternes, citrus hops dominate with a slight breadiness and I am also picking up a slight alchohol bite in the nose.

T-Very slight citrus hoppiness. picking up alot of alcohol in this especially in the aftertaste.(for 7.2 this is very warming)

M- mouthfeel is light to medium does not linger much.

D- Drinkability is fine this was pretty much a middle of the road IPA nothing really blew me away but then again nothing really threw me off either.

I bought a six pack for the wife thinking it might be a suitable replacement for 60minute, i'm kinda wishing they had the 60minute.

Prost!!!

02-06-2011 01:42:39 | More by drinkiusmaximus
Klym

3.03/5  rDev -20.3%

Picked up my local nugget in the Sacramento area.

A: Looks like a basic golden IPA with a 1 finger foamy head that leaves spiderweb lacing.

S: Pretty much just a faint hop aroma.

T: Drinking it cold its pretty much empty, decent hops. As it warms up a smidgen of malt flavor comes through but not enough to save it.

M: Medium carbonation, medium body, nothing really wrong with it but nothing really good about it either.

O: A mediocre, generic IPA.

08-20-2011 03:50:16 | More by Klym
beercollector

Oregon

The Rockies line are a drinkable series of beers. I have a problem in that I drink the Rogue IPA's and other left coast brews. This one starts at a hop disadvantage.

It pours with a nice frothy white head that dimishes to nothing. It's a clear yellow-amber.

The nose says hops. But the taste is more alcohol, then a moderate to heavy bitterness, when I expect pucker. It has a nice medium body, a good lively fizz, and a lasting bitterness.

It would be a good summers day beer that you could pace yourself on and would not find yourself not able to taste anything by dinner time.

04-10-2005 19:16:31 | More by beercollector
morimech

Pours a slightly cloudy copper color with a thin head. I don't get any hops in the nose. Did I get a mislabeled bottle or something? Doesn't taste like a IPA at all. Tastes malty and yeasty and slightly flat, thin, and watery. I gave it 3.0 across the board as I obviously got a old, bad, or mislabled beer. Better luck next time I guess.

10-04-2007 01:27:45 | More by morimech
wesbrownyeah

What you have here is an average ipa. Just a plain jane beer that is only represented by a cool label claiming its "mojo".

Appearance is very light orange with about a half inch head that last for 20secs or so. Minimal lacing which to me seems watered down.
Smell is of mild hops and citrus notes. (very light).
Taste is a lot like water, hops, and very little bitterness at the end.
Mouthfeel is a simple lightly carbonated easy to drink session.

Just ok.

02-26-2009 21:02:45 | More by wesbrownyeah
devinoconnor

Pours a nice pale color.

Smells like a classic IPA -- hoppy and complex, but this one also features a citrus scent. Very interesting.

Taste is fairly hoppy, hints of a peeled orange. Nice balance of hops/malt.

As much as I liked the smell and initial taste, I couldn't really get into it. After one I was done.

02-08-2011 20:12:58 | More by devinoconnor
hoppytobehere

2.99/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

22 oz. bomber, enjoy by May 1. Should be pretty fresh then.

A: Clear body, a bit on the light side. Decent retention. Lots of carbonation bubbles floating up to the top.

S: Candy, bread, some alcohol present in the nose.

T: Hmm. Not as many hops as I would like, and a skunky aftertaste. Some citrus, but it comes off tasting like cheap candy.

M: Thin, good carbonation levels though.

O: Not a good beer. I'm going to have a Lagunitas Sucks to wash this bad taste out of my mouth.

03-03-2013 03:58:50 | More by hoppytobehere
jdhilt

New Hampshire

2.93/5  rDev -22.9%

Pours a two-fingered off-white head that fades slowly leaving a good lace. Clear amber color. Moderate hoppy/floral nose. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Starts bitter, and plenty of hops, hints of sweetness. Bitter aftertaste. $1.75 for a 12oz bottle from Julio's Liquors Westborough, Ma.

01-27-2006 23:51:20 | More by jdhilt
Rayek

2.88/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Deep gold with very nice clarity and minimal carbonation. Rocky white head gets a good start before retreating to a thin layer. Leaves behind a generous lace.

S: Seems promising enough. A strong scent of grapefruit, lemon and pine great the nose. There is a mild fruity sweetness as well.

T: Metallic grapefruit, with a slight caramel malt sweetness underneath. That pretty much sums things up. Bitterness hits right away with the aforementioned metal and fruit. It's moderate, rather than over the top, but it doesn't taste that good to me. The extra fizz in the body isn't helping matters. Finishes with tart grapefruit and a hint of pine.

M: Medium body is slightly oily and has a bit too much fizz.

D: I'm sitting here really wanting to like this. Boulder is one of my local breweries, and I want to support them. But this beer just doesn't do it for me. Way too metallic to make me want another.

03-19-2009 17:36:05 | More by Rayek
UCLABrewN84

2.83/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Enjoy by 3/27/14.

Pours a clear golden orange with a foamy orange-white head that settles to a small cap on top of the beer. A foamy lattice of lace coats the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grapefruit juice, and citrus zest aromas. Taste is much the same with metallic, pine, and herbal hop flavors on the finish. There is a mild amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty poor beer that smells decent enough, but there is something making this one super metallic tasting and fairly undrinkable.

03-01-2014 05:36:15 | More by UCLABrewN84
mattcrill

2.8/5  rDev -26.3%

Aroma: Moderate floral hoppy notes, strong carmel backbone, slight metallic notes that are a little unpleasant.

Appearance: Clear amber orange pour with a sticky and sudsy white head.

Flavor: Big malty munich base with resiny and floral hop flavors. Background alcohol notes. Orange and citrus fruit persists. Finish is clean and dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, slightly oily, moderate high carbonation.

Overall impression: An immensely drinkable malt forward APA. Maybe I didn't get a fresh sample but I thought the hop profile was too muted for an American IPA. Probably won't re-visit.

02-16-2009 20:00:43 | More by mattcrill
GimpyCane

2.78/5  rDev -26.8%

Last night beer session was an IPA night and the contenders were Mojo IPA, Two Hearted Ale, Stone IPA and Goose Islands IPA. All four brews were poured at the same time and tasted as well. Unfortunately Mojo was my least favorite of all. Poured a hazy golden yellow with a small fizzy off white head. The head mostly lasted and left a fair amount of lacing. I had trouble with the aroma. I felt it was bland to perhaps light in scent. The initial flavor was lightly sweet yet it end with an acidic aftertaste. The body was light to medium, watery and slightly fizzy in carbonation. In all I'm not a fan of Mojo, this is not to say that Mojo is not a good brew. The winner that night was Bell's Two Hearted Ale.

12-11-2006 00:37:17 | More by GimpyCane
palma

2.73/5  rDev -28.2%

This beer starts out great, but then just falls off a high cliff ...

Great looking brew. Pale orange hazy body. Amazing pillowy head lasts for the entire pint. A strong but sweet hoppy aroma. Taste is a different story: not too good. Bitter hop flavor is decent but there is some weird artificial sweetener-like taste in the background. It's hard to put my finger on it exactly, but I know that it is not good. Raw alcohol in the finish. Aftertaste is pretty bad too. I'm tasting soap in the aftertaste, along with that weird artificial flavor again, only this time it comes back stronger.

This brew started out good (appearance, smell) but after tasting it, I became disheartened. I was looking forward to a great IPA, but no delivery here.

03-10-2005 01:42:33 | More by palma
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

2.7/5  rDev -28.9%

This ale was a deep yellow in color, with a one and a half finger head that died down to a lot of lace.

The aroma was of strong bittering hops, a hint of citrus and pine, and a good malt undertone.

Unfortunately, it did not follow through to the taste. The taste was bitter, and a little lemony. It was very hoppy, with almost no malt... and the aftertaste was like wet cardboard. This aftertaste kept coming back every time I burped, even half an hour later.

Mouthfeel was OK... drinkability is only average.

07-21-2005 01:58:45 | More by connecticutpoet
JDV

2.68/5  rDev -29.5%

Can hardly believe this is the same beer as these ratings indicate...
Pours a pale light orange, mostly clear. Smell is of some honey sweetness, mild strength hops. Somewhat astringent. Taste is the same. Mild hops, low sweetness, and overall pretty bland and weak for an IPA. Like weak hop tea more than a true IPA. Slightly soapy, and not very citrusy or fruity. Below average IPA for sure.

03-01-2008 22:01:45 | More by JDV
drummstikk

2.63/5  rDev -30.8%

Pale gold win no head. Smells of tons of citrus and pine, with a hint of kitchen cleaner and hardwood resin. Very resinous taste win a lingering bitterness and faint light caramel. Nice grainy malt flavor, which is obliterated by resin flavor. Amarillo comes close to saving this beer, and there are beautiful cedar, tangerine, and cinnamon flavors. Unfortunately, this beer was brewed without any concept of balance, and it is a resinous disaster. Body is light, carbonation is light. Tastes like a blonde ale with evergreen sap. I'm sure the hopheads will get their chemical fix here.

01-07-2011 01:17:46 | More by drummstikk
B967ierhunter177

2.6/5  rDev -31.6%

This beer pours a slightly hazy, gold with no head. The aroma consists of vanilla, citrus, and grass. It's flavor has grapefruit and biscuit notes with a mild hoppy aftertaste. The mouthfeel is average and Boulder Mojo IPA is a good, well balanced beer. Recommended.

04-03-2011 00:48:38 | More by B967ierhunter177
CSAsylum

Indiana

2.42/5  rDev -36.3%

This is the fourth beer in a grab bag of old beers our neighborhood package store passed off on us for bargain prices. Hey, we're poor! At any rate, I felt that reviewing them might serve the BA community, especially those that tend to hold onto beers perhaps longer than they should. What can you expect from your dusty Mojo? Here's what I found.

A: Pours a clear golden with a slightly off-white head of about 1/2 a finger that sticks around for just a little.

S: Some pine but mostly malt.

T: A caramelly, malty presence dominates with a touch of alcohol at the start of the leave. Hop bitterness persists throughout the taste but crescendos at the start of the leave trailing off to a bittersweet afterthought that lasts throughout the typing of this sentence.

M: A medium bodied beer with a creamy but mild carbonation.

Overall: I like this better than the Mojo Risin but feel it hasn't aged as well. Other reviewers are really impressed with the hops in the Mojo but after +/- 6 months improperly stored at the liquor store the hops are basically gone. Rather than citrusy and bright as the brewers probably intended the flavor and aromatic remains are piney tending toward an earthy quietude that doesn't really play well with the left over maltiness. The beer is still an enjoyable beer but you can tell it's more of a ghost of itself. To wax poetic, this beer is like having a short conversation with a guy who almost won the championship 15 years ago. He has great stories, sure, but, kind of sad, isn't it? The Boulder Beer double settles better into old age, where the alcohol burn plays well against the otherwise cloying sweetness. Here, without the ABV or the hops, the beer seems just too off-kilter.

06-26-2010 23:04:04 | More by CSAsylum
Hoppington

2.4/5  rDev -36.8%

Sorry - maybe I got a bad batch, but this was not that good to my taste buds. I am getting formaldehyde notes that are too much of a turnoff. Maybe because I worked in medical labs when I was younger and encountered formaldehyde too often, but this beer turned me off completely with its bitterness and astringent taste. This beer would be better with more floral notes and sweet malt. But as it stands, it just didn't pass the muster this round. Seems off-balanced. There are better picks amongst the many taps handles at my favorite beer bar in NYC.

01-03-2008 02:26:09 | More by Hoppington
ao125

2.29/5  rDev -39.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Serving Type: $1.65 12oz bottle at Total Wine. Poured from the bottle into a Rock Bottom pilsner glass, with a decent aroma collecting top.

Appearance: Amber/orange in color. Not entirely dissimilar from Nugget Nectar, though a high level of clarity. I'd have to guess filtered.

Smell: This is where things fall apart. Just sort of a big mess of Del Monte fruit cocktail, honey, and cheap [herbal glaucoma remedy]. The fruit cocktail became more pronounced as it warmed.

Taste: Oh yeah... big honey and assorted canned fruits. Some tangerine creeping out from under the weighty mess, but not enough to scream "I'M AN IPA!".

Mouthfeel: Actually not bad. Had a decent mouthfeel for an IPA. Neither too thin nor too thick.

Overall: The bottle said: "ENJOY BY MARCH 19", so I'm 13 days away from the end of code, but still... This couldn't be any less of an IPA. I've had worse beers, but I just don't see the point in buying this one again.

03-07-2013 13:23:33 | More by ao125
cjeep

2.28/5  rDev -40%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

sorry, but i don't understand the positive reviews of this beer. it has a very one-dimensional flavor that is downright annoying after the first beer. too much citrus, too much sweetness, i say use your money on some good stuff... apparently i am 20 characters short of a review. Oh - not any more... But I still don't see this as a B+ beer on this website. As an example, Harpoon IPA, which is a flat B, is far superior to this mojo.

03-02-2008 19:48:59 | More by cjeep
CaptMurdock

2.28/5  rDev -40%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle inot a Nonic Pint.

I would like to first say that I purchased this beer in a Boulder Beer Variety Case and I really enjoyed every other beer. This is also the third Mojo I have had from the case and my hope was the first two were just bad bottles...

Look: The pour was beautiful. It is a light amber and the clarity is amazing. The head rises up well over three fingers and creates a beautiful lacing throughout the pint.

Smell: The hops really aren't as prominent as I wold have liked. There is a certain level of sweetness to the aroma that does work well with the minimal hop presence.

Taste: I am bombarded with a metallic like sweetness that causes me to immediately pucker my lips. I don't really detect any hops up front but the bitter bite on my tongue lets me know they are there. There is also a toasted malt presence which does not agree with the overly bitter hops at all.

Mouthfeel: It leaves the mouth really dry and unsatisfied. The bitterness and sweetness semm to attack the tongue as opposed to gliding over it.

Drinkability: Of the three Mojo's I've tried this was the only one I was able to finish (only for the sake of the review) so I certainly would not want another one from this case.

As I previously said, I am very fond of both Boulder Beer and IPA's so I think this might be an old bottle due to the muted hop presence. I certainly will give this a second try if I ever see it on tap or find a fresh bottle.

01-12-2010 15:47:14 | More by CaptMurdock
waughbrew

2.17/5  rDev -42.9%

Light orange, big off-white head, some soapy foaminess. Strong lacing. Fresh intense citrus bouquet is sweet like a newly-invented fruit related to grapefruit but less sharp. Flavor starts with a thin sweetness of one-dimensional pink grapefruit that quickly turns bitter. Intense awful finish is certainly related to some harsh household cleanser. Prickly crushed aspirin explodes in my mouth and goes up my nose. Pretty slick and medium-thick until intense bitter finish attacks everything within a cubic meter.

This beer is a trainwreck. This is what happens when hops are added in copious amounts with little thought. Oh well, perhaps it cleaned the pipes below my kitchen sink.

03-01-2005 16:40:46 | More by waughbrew
ManekiNeko

2.1/5  rDev -44.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

22 oz. bomber served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy peach color with a large and frothy off-white head. The head eventually settles down to a layer of froth. Nice blobs of foam typical of an IPA are left on the glass.

Smell: Pronounced grapefruit aroma with faint lemon, orange, and spruce notes. A cornucopia of hop aromas.

Taste: Sharp and tangy grapefruit smacks you upside the head. Then you get some bitter pine flavors on the finish. No malt taste at all.

Mouthfeel: Light in body, very puckering from the hop tastes.

Drinkability: Well, if you like hops, you might like this. Very unbalanced. Certainly better than Hazed and Infused, but not by much. It looks and smells good, though. Would it have hurt them to have used some malt in the brewing process?

Thanks to prAna for the sample.

10-22-2003 04:27:26 | More by ManekiNeko
Monsteruss

1.7/5  rDev -55.3%

Smell - Light, complex and fruity undertones.
Foam - Light wheat in color, lacey and creamy.
Color - Honey golden.
Taste - A dominate and sharp characteristics of a microbrew, light honey taste, hoppy and very bitter.
Mouthfeel - Smooth
Drinkability - Too bitter