Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Mojo IPA - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Mojo IPAMojo IPA

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Jon on 08-27-2003

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mojo IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 772 | Hads: 1,843
4.42/5  rDev +14.8%

Appearance: Bright, orange-copper. Lots of tiny bubbles streaming upward. Huge, foamy off-white head settles very slowly to a half-inch. Lots of sticky lacing left behind.

Smell: Huge citrus aroma. Explodes with sugar-coated grapefruit and pineapple syrup. The best smelling beer I've ever had.

Taste: Very hoppy throughout. Citrus flavors up front followed by a long lasting hop bitterness. No malt flavors to speak of.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, but not syrupy. Does kind of coat the back of the tongue at the finish.

Drinkability: Excellent, but be careful, the 7% abv can go to your head if you don't pace yourself.

4.07/5  rDev +5.7%

2 of 7 sent to me by the monk...my gratitude is extended once again...

Poured crystal clear with a light orange body. Pure white single finger head formed on top which reduced quickly to the thinnest of layers. A little more head formation and retention would bring this up.

An initial citrus rush of hops came forth upon cracking the top, inviting so far. Mainly grapefruit citrus hops in the nose with an equal share given to some pine aromas. Some straw herbalness as well. There is something else in the aroma which I can't describe well, possibly from the Amarillo hops which were used. A very nicely constructed unique aroma which I have yet to come across in any other brew.

A resinous hop hit as soon as the beer reaches the tongue followed by a smidgen of citrus, floral finish. A nice deep bitterness lingers for quite a while. There is some malty backbone to this but it definately plays a secondary role to the taste. Only complaint is that it might seem a bit one sided in the flavor department. Good, but some complexity either from additional malts or hop variety would help in my opinion and make this an awesome beer.

Mouthfeel is full and does a great job coating everything in site. Allows the dry bitterness of the hops to really come through in the end. Drinkability is great. An easy to down IPA that sits light but is strong in the flavor department.

3.6/5  rDev -6.5%

Aroma: Definate hop character laced with malty sweetness. Spicy and a bit pine-ey.
Appearance: medium coper. A solid color. Nice carbonation. 1/2 inch head that remained firm. Tight white bubbles that laces well.
Taste: Hops dominate the nose, but soon balances well with a medium-full malty body. Body remains firm and continues to release flavors of spice and herbs. A complex hop blend. Finishes nice. Perhapse a bit dry, but ok for style.
Aftertaste: Bitter and sweet. Not too dry, which often happens with IPA's.
Impression: a well balanced IPA. Not overly agressive on any end. Flavors are consistent and varying in a subtle way. A nice summertime refresher.

3.26/5  rDev -15.3%

Appearence: Poured a light, clear copper with a bleach white head.

Smell: The smell is a pleasently hopped floral and citric mix, with a decent malt backbone.

Taste and Mouthfeel: The taste is adequately hopped, but the hops taste rather generic. They're trying to be over the top without being tasty. The malts are fine and create a nice sweet background for the hops. The mouthfeel is full but a bit cloying.

Drinkability and Overall: This is your average American IPA. It's not a horrible one, but a far cry from the masterpieces coming out of some other American breweries.

4.08/5  rDev +6%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck bottle. Description of the beer on one side - describing the use of Amarillo hops. Indecipherable bottling code.

Appearance: Pours a slightly cloudy orange color with a huge billowing head that doesn't fade. Some bubbles keep feeding the enourmous head.

Smell: Aroma is mostly hops, with lots of floral and grapefruit. The malt comes in just a bit in the middle with a nice sweetness.

Taste: Nice smooth mouthfeel with a very nice carbonation level. Low, but made up of very small bubbles that give a great mouthfeel. Taste is dominated by the hops, but not overly so. The malt still makes a showing to keep the hop bitterness in check. Finish is nice and dry.

Overall impression: Smooth and highly drinkable. Another nice offering from Boulder Beer.

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

Thanks to warriorsoul for this one.

Appears a light golden color with a thick white head and tons of carbonation that never quits. Plenty of thick lacing.
Smell is of sugary malt and woody, pine notes.
Taste is of light malty resin with wood, pine, and lemongrass.
Mouthfeel is smooth and buttery with a mild hopiness that flows across the tongue.
Drinkability is nice. Nothing over the top and very enjoyable.

Finger licking good.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

On-tap @ Bukowski Tavern in Boston, MA.

Served hazy orange with a big, frothy white head. Left tons of lacing on the 12 oz. Hoegaarden glass it was served in (very cool). Huge floral hop aroma. Upon taking my first sip I could only think of one thing: pine trees. Very piney taste, think of eating your christmas tree and you'll get the idea. Dry mouthfeel from all of the hops, but not overwhelmingly dry. This beer's intensity did bring down it's drinkability for me. This a very good beer that will suit any hop head's craving.

This beer was reviewed from a 12 oz. bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

Mojo pours a golden-orange color, slightly hazy with a thin off-white head that disapates quickly. There is some lacing as the beer is drunk, but not much.

The aroma is somewhat hoppy, but not strong enough to notice anything particular other than a bit of citrus. Taste is excellent, pretty hoppy flavor, but a soft finish.

Tickles the tongue as is slides down - a very drinkable beer, but at 7% ABV, a little strong for a session beer. I'll buy this one again.

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

22 oz brown bomber with a very colorful label. I did not see any freshness dating.

The beer was a light bronze with a thick, dense head and nice lacing. For some reason, I expected a darker color from this IPA.

The nose was very solid. A lot of citrus (more orange than grapefruit) and pine. In the background was some faint grain/malt aroma.

The taste was fine. Nice expected bitterness with more of that good citrus taste. The beer becomes a bit more floral and less raw as it warms. Seems slightly out of balance and I think a bit more malt taste would help.

Good oily mouthfeel with spot –on carbonation. The drinkability suffers just a bit from the lack of balance. All in all, an enjoyable IPA, but a bit overpriced at $3.99 a bomber a Sam’s Wine & Liquor in Downers Grove.

3.67/5  rDev -4.7%

12 oz. bottle, no freshness dating. Pours a deep golden color with a pretty thin light beige head. Aroma of fresh, grassy hops of the high alpha variety, hints at citrus, with trace amounts of pale malt sweetness. Hops are a bit overwhelming in the aroma, but acceptable in a U.S.-brewed IPA. Hops seem to be overbearing in the taste, too. Not enough malt character shows, just a lot of intense hop bitterness. Citrusy and lightly spicy. Some off-flavors, but nothing major. A good IPA for hopheads, but a little to unbalanced for my liking; and I like/love my hops, only in the just context of a beer. I will revisit this one on-draught in the near future. Not a bad IPA, just not one of my favorites at this stage of the game. If it wasn't so strong without having a malt presence, it's drinkability may have been up 1 point.

4.34/5  rDev +12.7%

With millions of beers out there, I love finding stand-outs like this one. I'm a big fan of IPAs in general, and I'm a really big fan of Mojo's brother Hazed and Infused, so I wasn't surprised to love this beer. The smell is half of the experience, blending pine, citrus (grapefruit? nectarine?), and marajuana (though not as much as Hazed and Infused). Mmmmm, a smell like none other. Besides aroma, this is a mighty tasty beer; absolutely my newest favorite IPA. It doesn't have the typical powerful hop-only punch. It definitely gives a big blast to the chops but more because of the other flavors associated with the hops and alchohol (7%abv!). Hard to describe I guess, just so many flavors going on at the same time. I could drink a couple of these at once, but like many highly flavorful beers, not my kind of session brew. GREATLY enjoyed in smaller quantities though!

The Rockies line are a drinkable series of beers. I have a problem in that I drink the Rogue IPA's and other left coast brews. This one starts at a hop disadvantage.

It pours with a nice frothy white head that dimishes to nothing. It's a clear yellow-amber.

The nose says hops. But the taste is more alcohol, then a moderate to heavy bitterness, when I expect pucker. It has a nice medium body, a good lively fizz, and a lasting bitterness.

It would be a good summers day beer that you could pace yourself on and would not find yourself not able to taste anything by dinner time.

4.18/5  rDev +8.6%

Clear, largely gold in hue with a tickly of cherry and orange in the mix, the color is light and ordinary (aside from the fact it is the body of an IPA). Minimal animation. The head was slightly off-white; at the apex the foam was a compact two fingers in height. The head retention was excellent, it sat on top of the liquid like meringue. Lacing started before I removed the liquid, the slow fade of the head was all that was needed to start a tattered wallpaper look. I like that. Overall the appearance of this beer is more than pleasant. I love the nose on this beer; I’ve had it a zillion times before I sat down and write a review. As of the time of this review Mojo is easiest the hoppiest (bitterest) beer available in Omaha. Pungent, woody, foresty… I smell trees short and tall. Pine and spruce mainly. I smell weeds. Wildflowers. The citrus aromas are very loud and sharp with zesty tangerines, oranges, grapefruit flesh, and a sugary, candy-like backdrop. The malt is typical of an American IPA, I can barely detect any, maybe some caramel. The potency is fairly loud and very articulate. I can clearly make out all the key aromas. Inviting. I really like the palate on this IPA. It isn’t too hot or too raw yet it is both. It is bitter but it doesn’t burn the tongue. Citrusy throughout with minty kisses, some candied fruit and raw grapefruit flesh, even some oranges and tangerines. Cherries too that melts into an alcoholic warmness. It is pungent and resinous. There is a big pine tree and spruce ending, with a woody, wildflower vibe before completely turning raw like a lemon rind. The malt doesn’t say much, sadly, as expected. The high abv puts this on the very upper end of IPAs and as a regular IPA it is very good but I look at Bitter Woman (5.57% abv) and Masala Mama (5.90% abv) and both those ladies have way more flavor and depth. Mojo can’t hang with the best Doubles. What is this beer then? It is a damn nice hoppy drink, good for chilling out. I wish it were easier to find in Omaha. Medium in body, the carbonation is moderately low but natural, honestly the mouthfeel is very ordinary but it fits this beer fairly well. I do wish it were fuller though, because it is almost watery (almost). Decent. I find this beer to be very, very drinkable. I’ve been known to drink lots of it in one setting. It is hardly a session beer but I make it work! All I know it is a tasty beast. I would have this in my DBF all the time if I could find it more. I purchased this bomber in Kansas City, KS because I wanted to sit down and write a review. I only see this at Crescent Moon in Omaha and I don’t feel like taking notes when I go there. I go to chill and this beer is good at that. Recommended.

4.05/5  rDev +5.2%

On tap at Buk's in beantown. Very hoppy IPA.

Not a very dark beer, a tad coppertoned. A two fingered head didn't lace the glass very well.

Very hoppy/floral smell, makes your mouth water.

Hops overpower the palate, to which I am always submissive. there were smoe fruity esters in the background though, maybe banana? I will have to drink more to investigate.

A great beer for hop heads

4.72/5  rDev +22.6%

After being so impressed by the pure hoppy bliss of the Hazed & Infused Pale Ale, I had to take the next step to the Mojo IPA. This beverage is hop bliss squared.

The appearance is very pale golden with only a slight amber hue and a massive fluffy marshmallow head. The smell is incredible, like grapefruit and a variety of other citrusy flavors. The aroma of amarillo hops is quite a beautiful thing. There is only one thing better: the taste. Quite frankly, this is the tastiest IPA I've ever had. It may not be quite as well done as Stone's, but it is just as craveable. Goes well with a copious serving of dank. The citrusy bitterness and high alcohol content prevent this from being a true session brew like its younger brother, but nonetheless, it is one of the most fantastic American brews I've ever had. No monotheistic mysticism involved in the brewing of this marvelous brew, but I'm sure "god" loves the brewers of Boulder Brewing Co. just as much as everybody's favorite trappist monks.

Edit: Looking at my glass from last night, just before washing it, the lace was still shimmering like a friggin' diamond in the light. I've not seen anything else quite like it, as far as brussels lacing is concerned.

4.02/5  rDev +4.4%

25th anniversary capped double duecer.

Cloudy peachy hues, slightly unfiltered with a khaki dense 1/4" head cap that quickly settles to a frothy collared slick.

Bold hop citrous aroma along the lines of Smuttynose IPA.

First swigs: Deep blend of hops and malts. 50/50. Delicately piney with hard candy malts. Lingering acidic dry aftertaste.

Briskly carbonated. Medium bodied. Brightly zesty yrt becomes tacky.

Last swigs: Smells better than it tastes. Stone IPA baby brother. Not quite making the "Must have" list, but would try again.

I was lucky enough to enjoy a pint of this in solitude while waiting on some friends to join me for dinner. I believe that Mojo is my first experience with this brewery and it certainly didn't disappoint. It pours a cloudly but brilliant orange with an aggressive billowing white head. Smell is citrusy but well balanced by malt. I was surprised by how mellow the first taste was. I was expecting a large hop bite but the malt does a great job of balancing out the hop flavors. It's still very crisp and grapefruity but without over the top bitterness. Refreshing beer that definitely hides it's ABV very well. I will probably be having this again, hopefully from the bottle to see how that version is.

3.94/5  rDev +2.3%

The beer pours a slightly turbid golden-copper, with an off white head that lingers.

The arome is citrusy (orange), peppery and spicy, and a bit resiny. There is some diacetyl, but it is not objectionable. There is some fruitiness and I detect some phenolic notes as it warms.

The first sip starts with a hint of sweetness that is quicky overcome with piney hop flavor. The resiny and citrusy hop flavor lingers and fades to an assertive bitterness at the swallow. The finsh is quite bitter, but a bit of malty sweetness mingles with it.

The mouthfeel is substantial. The body is medium full and the carbonation is medium low. There is the impression of astringency, but that may be the bitterness.

Overall, I find this to be a substantial IPA - big and hoppy but balanced. My experience is that bottled IPAs, especially from Micros on the other side of the country, tend to be spotty at best. This was a well preserved sample of a very well crafted beer.

2.83/5  rDev -26.5%

This beer starts out great, but then just falls off a high cliff ...

Great looking brew. Pale orange hazy body. Amazing pillowy head lasts for the entire pint. A strong but sweet hoppy aroma. Taste is a different story: not too good. Bitter hop flavor is decent but there is some weird artificial sweetener-like taste in the background. It's hard to put my finger on it exactly, but I know that it is not good. Raw alcohol in the finish. Aftertaste is pretty bad too. I'm tasting soap in the aftertaste, along with that weird artificial flavor again, only this time it comes back stronger.

This brew started out good (appearance, smell) but after tasting it, I became disheartened. I was looking forward to a great IPA, but no delivery here.

2.3/5  rDev -40.3%

Light orange, big off-white head, some soapy foaminess. Strong lacing. Fresh intense citrus bouquet is sweet like a newly-invented fruit related to grapefruit but less sharp. Flavor starts with a thin sweetness of one-dimensional pink grapefruit that quickly turns bitter. Intense awful finish is certainly related to some harsh household cleanser. Prickly crushed aspirin explodes in my mouth and goes up my nose. Pretty slick and medium-thick until intense bitter finish attacks everything within a cubic meter.

This beer is a trainwreck. This is what happens when hops are added in copious amounts with little thought. Oh well, perhaps it cleaned the pipes below my kitchen sink.

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

Good sized, yellowish white colored head leaves a few strings of lace as it fades to a film. Transparent shiny gold colored beer with very little sign of carbonation. Candied grapefruit and pine hop aroma. Flavor is midly sweet, resinous piney hops ride on top of fleshy fruit and pale malt base. Candied hoppiness kicks in for a second towards the end. Finish is slightly bitter. Mouthfeel is fairly full, almost chewy. A solid IPA, quite tasty.

4.62/5  rDev +20%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Burnished orange-amber, filled with an impressive flurry of variously sized particles. The thick, creamy, eggshell white cap has a magma-like surface and deposits sticky sheets of sand-blasted lace in its wake. It looks like the hop load is going to be on the generous side.

There are very few things in all of beerdom more appealing to me than an Amarillo and Centennial-loaded IPA. Mojo features an explosive nose of bright, pungent, fruity (grapefruit, pineapple and orange), hoppy splendor. In a word... outstanding.

The flavor didn't seem quite the equal of the nose initially, but with warming has come into its own and is impressing the hell out of me. Almost all aspects of the aroma are still present and accounted for on the palate. This is unquestionably an Amarilloicious IPA and is one that I will enjoy to the very last drop from my laced-crusted pint glass.

There's great balance between malty sweet and hoppy bitter, starting as the former and ending as the latter. The flavor profile consists of melted caramel with an overlay of candied citrus zest, pineapple syrup and pine sap. The flavors meld nicely in the mouth, making this an IPA that is easy to love. I'm a sucker for beautifully brewed hop bombs such as this.

The body is medium during the first half of the bottle, but firms up noticeably as it warms and is mouthcoating without being overly sticky sweet. The amount of carbonation is near perfect as it brings a minor sparkle to the mouth and tongue. A huge thank you to prAna for the bomber.

I love the Looking Glass series of beers and Mojo is no exception. A heavily-hopped Amarillo and Centennial IPA is right up my alley and this one hits all the right notes in the creation in a symphonic homage to the glory of the hop. I'd still probably pick a supermodel over Mojo if I had to choose one to take to a desert island, but I'd have to give it a long, hard think first.

Appearance: Rust colored with a thin head and streaming bubbles.

Smell: Floral and citric, very spicy.

Taste: Citric hops with a very noticeable malt backing; esters and an alcoholic undertone.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and well carbonated.

This is definately a good beer, but not as hoppy as I expect a great IPA to be. Nice session beer.

4.64/5  rDev +20.5%

on tap at Redbone's, also Bukowski's Cambridge

Clear light gold under a dense white head.

Bursting with citrus fragrance, not just grapefruit, but orangey sweetness and lemony brightness.

Zowie! Bitter with lots of grapefruit. As the attack dies down, a milktoast malt attempts to make itself known. Suggestions of apricot emerge, and a curious hazelnut note in the finish, with a tinge of varnish amid the lingering grapefruit rind. Tasty, tasty stuff, though a hair too sharp for me.

Vigorous carbonation and medium body.

Number one witha bullet. Every time I see this on offer, I get it, no question.

4.4/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

The bold, bright, and enticing, pine-like and citrusy Amarillo hops found in Rockie's Mojo IPA reach out and grab you even as you pour it! The frothy off-white head holds quite well, and fine bubbles can be seen straming through its clear golden body. Stands of craggy lace and small spots linger on the glass, and it maintains a thin but solid surface covering throughout almost the entire serving. The flavor is just as impressive as its aroma as notes of yeasty fruitiness and piney and citrusy (tangerine, lemon peel, subtle red grapefruit) hops swirl through a sugar-accented, biscuity malt. The body is medium-full; and it's fine-bubbled carbonation bristles on the tongue before warming to become a bit airy as it slips effortlessly across the palate. Resinous, piney hops linger in the aftertaste along with a dense, dry bitterness that slowly drops in intensity; and it's alcohol never really shows until you go to get up from your chair. One word: WOW!

Mojo IPA from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub