Mojo IPA - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Mojo IPAMojo IPA

good

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: Jon on 08-27-2003)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mojo IPA Alström Bros

TastyIsBeer, Aug 24, 2012
3.85/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a clear, dark copper color with a thin, whitish head which leaves minimal splotchy lacing.

Aromas begin fairly pungent and fruity with strong, zesty notes of oily lemon, tangerine rinds and some pineapple. As it warms you can detect the modest notes of pale maltiness.

The tastes begin in reverse with the pale maltiness with scant caramel sweetness. Juicy, ripe hop fruit flavors follow with a firm, but not overbearing bitterness. Very slight biscuity tones also emerge but as the cumulative bitterness builds, they fade away.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is dry with a light, lingering bitterness and a pinch of spicy hops.

Overall this is a solid example of an American IPA. It is not overly bitter, with just enough malt balance and an decent aroma.

claspada, Aug 22, 2012
3.26/5  rDev -14%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Bottle at Stubbies in Gainesville. This one pours a bit murky hazy gold, with a creamy small white head. Aroma is nice, with the expected pine hop profile in the smell. But the flavor is lacking and muddled. Dusty, dirty pine flavors with very little bitter, fading into a caramel fruit base as it goes down. This is really more like a weakly hopped pale ale or summer ale. Relatively light bodied but just not much going on, and a bit watered down. Not a good representation of the style.

BMMillsy, Aug 21, 2012

Trevormcraig, Aug 17, 2012

JottaGibboo, Aug 16, 2012

SortaAmbivalent, Aug 15, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -5.5%

A: very nice dark golden color

S: hops to the brain. nice smell for an IPA

T: I'd like more bite from the hops

M: Head retained well and laced nicely. I enjoyed swigs and sips with this beer

O: A decent high grav IPA for any night. More kick expected but it would be a nice IPA for the daily indulger

Hop_kulture, Aug 15, 2012

bumchilly25, Aug 14, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

MSDaub, Aug 11, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

MikieV, Aug 04, 2012
4.05/5  rDev +6.9%

Hoppy IPA DAY! I started the day with Hoptimum by Sierra Nevada (which is effing amazing). This is my second. I hope to knock off a couple more... probably at least Smuttynose since I know it is very good.

I poured this into a DFH, chalice style glass. Looks like the typical orangy IPA with about two fingers of sticky head. This leads to some decent lacing.

I get a bunch of flowers from the top. I was surprised by the lack of citrus.

Flavor was pretty good. I like the fix of hops and decent hopping. It has good balance.

I would say that this is a pretty good IPA. It is a nice departure from those citrus bombs. I recommend trying this out to mix it up.

ummswimmin, Aug 03, 2012
3.5/5  rDev -7.7%

frosted33, Aug 02, 2012

KVNBGRY, Aug 01, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +12.1%

Mikecap, Aug 01, 2012
3.65/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a slightly hazy golden apricot color with minimal ivory head that leaves substantial lacing as it dissipates into a thin layer of film.

Aroma is resiny, with a fairly bready malt aroma, ending with pine and a hint of citrus.

Flavor is far more brutally hoppy. Resin and pine hit early, carrying strongly into a significantly bitter finish. Undertones of grapefruit pith and perfumey hops add complexity. Tastes like biting on a pine tree at some points. A minty note pervades as it warms. Malt character is definitely an afterthought.

Body is a touch watery, with moderate carbonation, and a bit of hop derived astringency is present at the finish.

Overall, far hoppier in flavor than aroma. Substantial bitterness and hop presence, though bittering hops definitely dominate. More flavoring hops would improve the experience.

barczar, Jul 31, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +18.7%

tomasher, Jul 29, 2012
3.23/5  rDev -14.8%

Had at Tommy Doyle's in Cambridge, MA in nitro tap

A: beautiful micro bubbles, but not great carbonation beads; light orange, clear; very good lacing
S: very grassy and hoppy
T: hops are dank, charred; a slight vanilla flavor threads its way through a complex bittering hop profile that outbalances the malt

I dislike this IPA, but it deserves some attention. I'm not certain what the nitro tap did to this brew, but I imagine it is even more bitter from a bottle

Arithmeticus, Jul 28, 2012

PeterOrlando92, Jul 28, 2012

dreis, Jul 28, 2012
3.13/5  rDev -17.4%

I had three or four samples of Boulder's Mojo IPA at a beer festival in Frankenmuth. I always thought about picking up one of these but never got around to it so when I saw it was on tap at the beer festival I thought I should give it a chance, so lets see how it goes. Poured on tap into a 4oz plastic boot.

A- I like the label on this beer, it looks nice. It a poured a golden yellow color that took on an orange tint when held to the light, it had one fingers worth of slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end. The beer didn't look to bad.

S- The first thing that I pick up is a slightly stale malt aroma that has a medium amount of sweetness and imparts some bready and grainy aromas. Up next comes the hops that seem to be floral and citrusy with the citrus seeming to stick out the most with some pineapple aromas and a slight pine aroma towards the end. The aroma was good, I liked the citrus hop aromas.

T- The taste seems is a little similar to the aroma. It starts off with some grainy and bready malts with a medium amount of sweetness, they have a stale flavor that is a little off putting. The hops aren't as citrusy as they were in the aroma and impart a king of weird pine and floral taste. It had a light amount of medium bitterness, with a grainy and slightly floral aftertaste. This was a pretty average tasting American IPA.

M- Not that smooth, slightly creamy, medium bodied, with a medium amount of carbonation, the mouthfeel seemed to be pretty average.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought that it was a pretty average example of an American IPA, the beer just didn't come together as well as it should have. This beer doesn't have the best drinkability, it isn't too smooth and the flavors don't hold my interest. What I liked most about this beer was the aroma, it had some nice hoppy citrus aspects to it and it also didn't look that bad. What I liked the least about the beer was the bland malt base and the weird hop profile in the flavor, it just didn't work for me. I wouldn't buy this beer again and this isn't an IPA that I would recommend to anybody I liked. This was my first beer from this brewery and it didn't make for the best first impression, all in all just an average American IPA that isn't memerable, I hope the Mojo Risin is much better since I already bought a bottle of it.

StoutHunter, Jul 23, 2012