Sweaty Betty Blonde - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 06-06-2004)

niceonebro, Jan 02, 2012

hopfiend666, Nov 23, 2011

fishguyac, Nov 08, 2012

Jojo302006, Jun 29, 2014

LightsOut3000, Jun 11, 2013

MarkyMOD, Apr 05, 2012
4.88/5  rDev +42.3%

poured a very hazy straw color with close to a two finger white head that faded to just covering the beer with a sticky lace that followed the beer down the glass. aromas of wheat and lemon grass and spice. taste, wheat malt, lemon grass, cloves and other spices with a peppery ending lingers for a bit. mouthfeel is very light and crisp and spicy. will definitely be looking for more of sweaty betty.

billybob, Apr 28, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +39.4%

Pours golden "blonde" into a pint glass with a frothy head that stays almost completely still as I drink it.

Smell is extremely pleasant. Banana first comes to mind with a slight hint of citrus. One of the best smelling wheat's I've come across.

Taste is very similar to smell. A hint of banana up front with hoppy and lemon notes. Little bit of a clove aftertaste for me. I love this stuff.

Mouthfeel is light but still passes my test. Great for drinking several of them at a time, you'll just keep going back for more.

Overall I can say this is definitely one of my favorite beers to date. I am a huge fan of wheat beers, though. For someone looking for an incredible amount of flavor you might want something else, but for an easy drinking and delicious beer you can't beat one of these. I'd love to try it on tap at some point.

WellDont, Aug 22, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +38.5%

Stevie_Janowski, May 24, 2013
4.7/5  rDev +37%

This beer came a pale cloudy cider color that fades to gold near the bottom of the glass. The head consists of a wide collar of small white bubbles.

Smells of sweet honey and creamy wheat with some orange citrus. There’s also a smooth milky yeast that seems to ties this all together.

Tastes of doughy wheat and oats with an awesome, milky banana and clove presence. This is followed by a snap of citrus that helps dry the flavors out and helps this finish with a little clove and a pasty wheat.

The mouth feel is light to medium bodied and not too heavy at all.

This one’s a dead ringer for a Bavarian Weitzen. Well done!

DarkerTheBetter, Jun 14, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +37%

Best Beer I have ever had, and it comes with a healthy kick too! I want MORE!! It is a spring beer that only comes around once a year, but I anticipate having this beer and beg my supplier to have it in stock for me. From the great, clean taste to the appearance and feel of this beer, it gets consistent high marks from me.

KWHodges56, Apr 17, 2013
4.53/5  rDev +32.1%

Appearance - straw, hazy pour, little to no head formation.

Aroma - heavy on the yeast. Doughy, banana, as authentic it can be.

Taste - lots of yeast, same as the aroma. Some light sweet/sour lemon flavor, diluted and distant. The banana and yeast dominate, this reminds me of the better German wheats I've tried, very well done.

Mouthfeel - smooth, muted carbonation, on target.

Drinkability - a hidden gem, this one. For an American wheat, it can compete with some of the best German hefes out there.

brewdlyhooked13, Feb 08, 2007

corrrance, Feb 22, 2012

logicalparadox, May 19, 2012

TaylorK, Dec 26, 2012

freddypsu, Jan 02, 2012
4.45/5  rDev +29.7%

A - This beer is a beautiful glowing beige/gold ...like yellow candle wax, it has a translucence despite it's opacity. Sadly, the head is flimsy and only reaches one finger for the first few seconds before turning into soapy dishwater. A small amount of foamy lace slides down the glass.

S - Funky wild yeast notes smell very barnyard-ish and almost nasty. I like nasty! This has orange and carrot juice notes....like V8 Splash or something, and there actually is a sweaty component to this nose.

T - Wow! I liked the nose, but the flavor is great. Orange and pineapple fresh fruit salad with those big funky yeast flavors that I loved in the nose. This actually reminds me very much of Unibroue's Blanche de Chambly.

M - Waxy, lightly carbonated, and heavy. These are actually odd feelings for the style, but I like it! The finish is all tropical fruit and Belgian yeast.

D - Killer. This is a killer, killer brew for the summer! I could quaff this stuff until I puke....not that I would do something like that, but I could.

pmcadamis, Jun 18, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +29.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Betty hit my glass a nice golden yellow, and just a bit hazy. Her smell was all about clove and banana.

She tastes very much like she smells- clove hits hard, and banana creeps in. There's a sweet maltiness underneath the whole way.

In my mouth, she feels fizzy and a bit thin, yet very smooth.

Nice and drinkable, I wouldn't mind another run-in with Betty.

Be well
-UF

UncleFlip, Jul 11, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +29.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

This one pours a cloudy golden blonde with a very thick frothy head that settles very slowly leaving a luxurious lacing down the sides of the glass.

The nose if very pleasant like fresh bread, lemon and citrus notes with a very floral blend of flowers and hops. The nose is sweet.

The taste is very satisfying with a hint of a Saison farmhouse ale from Belgium in the Flemish region. The taste is very satisfying with subtle hops and lemony flavors that match the nose. The beer is not dry with a leaning towards fruity, but not too sweet. This one is very satisfying and nicely balanced. The hops make their presence known as you finish your swallow with the sweet giving way to a very pleasant bitter. This is a very nicely balanced beer and I really like it.

The mouthfeel is satisfying, though a tad bit watery for how good this beer taste. But it is not detracting from me enjoying it at all.

Overall this one is an excellent beer and I would love to buy it again.

AtrumAnimus, Apr 27, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +28.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Slightly hazy, nearly opaque golden yellow, with just a tiny hint of copper. The white head was tiny, even after a hard pour. Little lacing. Smell is wheaty and pleasant, with slight hints of banana and lemon. Taste is sweet, lots of the wheat flavor, just a small hint of bitterness and lemon. This is right up there, next to paulaner Hefe-Weizen. This one isn't quite as fruity as paulaner's is, but absolutely great.

dauss, Jul 23, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +27.7%

This beer recently took 1st place in the American Wheat category at a Brew fest in Rhode Island. Widmer Bros hefe came in second. Widmer Bros. hefe is my everyday favorite brew. So I had to give Sweaty Betty a try.... Not available in Utah I brought some home from a recent trip to AZ. This is a nice American Wheat. It has a hint of banana and clove, but not like a Bavarian style-hefe. It is more in the American wheat camp....smooth and not too spicy. It' s well worth a try if you like American wheats like Widmer, Pyramid, etc... If you're looking for a Bavarian style like Keller Weiss or any of the German wheats then it may not be spicy enough. If you're looking for a smooth American wheat with a just a hint of spice that goes down nice, then Sweaty Betty is a good choice. If it were available locally, I'd drink it regularly.
It also has a higher ABV at nearly 6 percent, but without the heavier spirit taste. You'd never know it from the taste. It goes down like a 4.8, so beware...it's smooth and w/. The higher alcohol content could pack a punch....

Johnlikeshefe, Nov 24, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +27.7%

Crisp, Clean and refreshing. I will buy over Harpoon and SA. Certainly will suit the non-traditional Hefe taster as it may seem "light" to those more experienced palates. Also, checks in at 5.9% but doesn't taste like it. I loved the finish and after taste.

Iheartbeer, Jul 13, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +26.2%

I really enjoyed this beer. It's probably my favorite wheat beer not from a bar tap. I bought it at the same time as some Samuel Adams Summer Ale, and while that was good, this was just slightly better. It had a little more of a citrusy taste, which I enjoyed.

TheSMUSpaz, Jun 30, 2007
4.33/5  rDev +26.2%

Bought this beer in a 6-pack from Smoke Land in a Samuel Adams Pint class.

A: Yellow color with thick cloud

S: Fruit with a hefeweizen smell.

T: Tastes like a blue moon with an orange or even a hefeweizen.
You can taste the blonde in it and definitely the fruit. Very Sweet.

M: Light Bodied, awesome flow through palate and mouth

D: A mix between a Hefeweizen and a Blue Moon. Awesome beer! Easy for a new beer drinker or a party beer.

DCon, Dec 14, 2010

Updated 09/04/06:
I basically stand by what I had written before however I would like to add that the smell this time was more of a citrus fruit than banana, and the taste had quite a bit of lemon tang to it. I wasn't served with a lemon, thank goodness, but it still had that nice citrusness to it.
I once again enjoyed this beer.

Original:
This beer poured a cloudy light copper color.
Smelled of yeast and bananas. The taste was of canned peaches and bread dough.
It had quite a bit of carbonation with a dry finish.
I felt this was a great hefe. I had this beer after a weekend of backpacking, my mind was quite numb and my notes on this beer were sparse. I’m sure it deserves more description than I can decipher from my notes

WonderWoman, Jun 17, 2006