Sweaty Betty Blonde - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Quaffer on 06-06-2004

3.62/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My first summer seasonal purchase for 2005. Looked and sounded interesting, with a sale price of $5.99, I gave it a try.

Appearance: Poured into a pint glass (I'll maybe try a Weizen glass next time). Pale yellow, a little hazy with a decent 1/2 inch head. Some carbonation bubbles float to the surface. Head fell to a covering of a few clouds, with a prominant ring aroung the glass, minimal lacing.

Smell: Interesting aromas. Definitely a wheat malt presence, and citrus fruit (I'm thinking lemons), yet their is a definite hop scent. I was told this was dry-hopped, similar to the Hazed and Infused, but way toned down. I like it.

Taste: Somewhat subdued. This is one of Boulder's Looking Glass series of beers. I have found these beers to be over the top in taste, (in the case of H&I, unbalanced IMO). This one did not grab me by the shoulders and shake me like I expected, but still good. Malty, almost bready wheat flavor, a little citrus fruit, and a nice little hop bitterness, but dialed down. I guess it does stay true to the style.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium in body, good carbonation. A little sweet in the middle with a nice, clean dry finish. Subsequent beers I found to be somewhat buttery and slick.

Drinkability: Unfortunately there are many other seasonals I want to try yet that this will have to compete with. Later, as summer winds down, if I see this on sale I would probably pick some more up, I just am not going to go rush out and get more right away. (1,492 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +2%

This pours the typical wheat light greenish amber. A bit of a head, not much though. An island remains, and so does a foam ring.

Smells very mellow spicey (not sure of the spice, my apologies), grassy, with a touch of malt and hop.

Tastes light, mostly dry hints of lemon, and some bread.

Mouthfeel is okay - somewhat foamy, the good kind, but also a bit wet.

Finish is clean. The hop is not overpowering, but there is some cleansing dryness.

This isn't a bad brew. The style is a bit watery for my tastes, and this beer does seem a tad watery. Give it a try anyway, it would be very refreshing. (610 characters)

2.95/5  rDev -16%

Hazy light golden color with a very thin and fizzy but lasting white head. No lacing to be found. The aroma is a little fruity along with mild hops. Light-bodied and bubbly with fruit and wheat flavors. Kind of a watery texture too. The finish is short and lemony. I am against any beer that makes reference to something secreted from the human body. Even without that this is a below average beer. (398 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -11.1%

A very light yellow/straw colored beer . Has a small white head. The aroma starts with a strong yeasty note. With the wheat and banana notes in the background. The flavor is like a mild version of a Hefe- but there is an unpleasant corn on the cob sweetness that lays in the back of your throat on the finish. (309 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +12.5%

My final bottle from the six pack, and it opened with a flow of foamy beer, unlike it's brothers that were lost before it. Nicy cloudy dark gold color, head is small after the initial pour. Nice strong banana and clove smell, pretty solid for the style. The taste is a little bland, but still good, with alot of tart banana flavor, pretty good. Nice beer for a hot day, I have yet to find a beer in the Looking Glass Series that wasn't interesting. (448 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -2.6%

Another "Looking Glass" series beer, now it comes in six packs. Moslty clear greenish gold color with a very white head that reduces to a collar pretty quickly. Lace is minimal at best. Aroma of dusty hay with some cotton candy sweetness. Solid mouthfeel with minimal carbonation -- which helps the estery qualities shine, candy "circus peanut" impressions. Distinct vanilla tone seems to dominate mid mouth, like Cream of Wheat with sugar and bananas on top. Sucrose finish, not a lot of complexities and without a lot of citrus notes to cut in. There's little doubt in my mind that this is an American Wheat with a hefty dose of that grain tossed in. (652 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +14.5%

One of the least appetizing beer names since Moose Drool. I wonder if Sweaty Betty is friends with Messie Bessie or Juicy Lucy? Does she know Large Marge, maybe?
Pours a pale, hazy yellow, with vanishing white foam above.
Aroma is citrus and spice, coriander, ginger....so far, I'm fairly certain that this is mis-entered as a hefe weizen, and instead should be seen as a witbier, perhaps.
Taste: gritty grain on the palate, then smooth and refreshing. Full of spice on the palate, but softens assuredly, and there are light orange and lemon flavors at play as well, with a bit of banana?
Drinks down easily. Medium bodied, dry finish, fades fast. Perhaps that is just as well, for their aim is refreshment, with a twist.
After downing the bottle, I'm sure it's more toward a witbier and nowhere near a hefe. The label calls it "a perfectly balanced blonde wheat beer with a wild side." Well, wilder than Blue Moon, anyway.
And more characterful than the last can of Wittekerke I had.
I'm starting to get warm on the name, now, too...sweaty or not, Betty's my kind of girl. (1,080 characters)

3.58/5  rDev +2%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle with a label in the style of their Looking Glass beers. 6 packs are new this spring. Description of the beer on one side, ingredients on the other. Drink by date of July 13 05 on the neck. Kudos to Boulder Beer for providing the consumer plenty of info about the beer.

Appearance: Poured in to a weizen glass. Cloudy yellow color with a nice thick white head. Definitely looks appealing on a warm spring day. Head has nice retention, and leaves a good amount of lacing

Smell: Typical hefe aroma - banana and spices. Beyond that I'm not too adept at picking out the hefe notes.

Taste: Banana flavor, along with a nice what body. Medium bodied with a smooth carbonation. Decent example of the hefe style.

Overall impression: I had this beer last spring, and wasn't too impressed. I feel like they may have changed the recipe slightly, or maybe my tastes changed, but I enjoyed it this time. (927 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +15.4%

On tap at the Coolidge Corner Clubhouse.

Poured a light, somewhat cloudy yellow with minimal head and no lacing. Smells like bananas and fruit and tastes very much like the banana smell. Very light and refreshing beer, and very enjoyable. Nice change of pace at the end of your 9-5 day. (289 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -0.9%

OK, so it doesn’t have the label Hefeweizen in the name anywhere. When I tried this beer, that is definitely what I thought it was. It poured a pale golden (yellow), and was certainly unfiltered. There was no head to speak of, and very little lace that didn’t stay around anyway. Very slight aroma of vanilla and banana. The taste has the banana, and a little more citrus. No clove flavor that you might expect from a high-quality Hefe. I give this beer credit though, it had none of the chemical after-taste that many American Hefeweizens are full of (Why is that?). A very light mouth feel. Nice drinkability, this is an excellent hot weather beer (on a 90 degree Boston day). (680 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +9.7%

Hazy, pale gold in hue, kind of pasty. Yet it was still surprisingly transparent. Not much animation either, it looks a bit lifeless. The head was white in color and about a finger in height on a hard pour. Head retention was poor as it quickly faded to a loose cap. For a Hefeweizen these features are not up to par as the head was too small and the retention was to short. The subsequent lacing was spotty and it didn’t cling well, yet another dull aspect of the appearance. The nose is soft with musty notes being the most noticeable. Yeasty. Weak banana aromas as well, hint of vanilla. Wheaty. There is a faded indication of citrus at the back. The nose does play along with the idea that this is a Hefeweizen. I’m not totally convinced. Maybe I’d call it a kicked up American Wheat. Then again I haven’t tasted it yet. This is solely based on the look and smell. The bouquet is inviting, regardless. The palate is very similar to the nose. Upfront is a meshing of yeasty musk with some wheaty notes. In the middle the banana finds a way to the foreground, moderate citrus notes that are stronger in flavor than in the scent. Modest vanilla flavors, malty, and thickly wheaty, pleasantly sweet. The aftertaste is mostly banana with just a trace of clove. This is a zesty and quite tasty Hefeweizen with an American twist. Still, the palate has now conviced me this was German roots. The carbonation is lively, as desired. Tasty. Bring on the pancakes and scrambled eggs. Medium in body, the mouthfeel is quite pleasant. I enjoyed this beer it is yet another dandy from the Looking Glass Series. This is enjoyable enough that I might have to buy a few more bombers. Purchased in Omaha. (1,693 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +18.2%

Hazy Yellow

Fresh citrusy bright aroma with several notes of fruits especially lemons, green apples, honey dew and banana.

Fresh, subtle, solid and refreshing wheat beer. An americanized hefeweizen with the usual banana, clove and nutmeg flavors but also some hints of lemon, ripe pear and apple. (302 characters)

2.35/5  rDev -33%

Slightly hazy light gold witha small, but vigorous head. Aromas of banana esters dominate. Slight yeasty tones present. Bananas and tropical flavors present with a strong metallic bite in the finish. Mouthfeel is light, with a strange, slightly harsh acidic or overcarbonbation grip up front. I am not impressed with this beer. Too many conflicting flavors and tastes with little direction or focus. No need to look for this one. (429 characters)

Pours a cloudy orange yellow, small white head that doesn't last, no lacing either. Aroma of wheat, bananas and spices. Flavors of wheat, banana-clove bubblegum flavors. Medium body with mild carbonation, almost flat, finishes with some sweetness, I was disappointed with this, maybe worth a try but I wouldn't buy this again. (326 characters)

4.39/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Slightly hazy, nearly opaque golden yellow, with just a tiny hint of copper. The white head was tiny, even after a hard pour. Little lacing. Smell is wheaty and pleasant, with slight hints of banana and lemon. Taste is sweet, lots of the wheat flavor, just a small hint of bitterness and lemon. This is right up there, next to paulaner Hefe-Weizen. This one isn't quite as fruity as paulaner's is, but absolutely great. (419 characters)

3.32/5  rDev -5.4%

Wow...one sip of this beer and I felt like I was back in Kansas again! While I usually miss the maltiness in wheat beer, this specimen was a nice contrast.

The beer poured cloudy as most wheat beers do, with a light head and layered lace. The smell was earthy and grassy and quickly took me back to a memory of freshly cut wheat in Kansas.

The taste was acidic at first then went with an alcohol flavor which didn't impress me. My favorite part of this beer is the mouthfeel which is heavier than I expected. It has a wonderful wheaty aftertaste which lingers nicely. (574 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +14.5%

22 oz bottle, sold in singles, no dates for brewing or best before dating found.

Pale, golden color to it, very cloudy. Bit of a head formed upon pouring, left a thin line around the outside of the glass.

Wheat smell with something strong over it, citrusy flavor, perhaps? I want to say a lemon, but I'm not sure exactly.

Thick feel to it in the mouth, little bit of the carbonation bubbles tickling the cheeks. Fuller feel than I expected from something that appeared so light.

Good taste to it, strong component of lemon, I think, but not so strong as to bash you with the taste. Reminds me of maybe a Boulevard Wheat or something of that nature.

All in all, a good brew. Didn't like it so much at first gulp, but from there, I've grown to like the taste a bit more. I'll plan to stock the fridge with a few more before it disappears. (851 characters)

4.11/5  rDev +17.1%

Appearance: A pale, golden yellow that was heavy with sediment. A very dense and fluffy, stark white head rose up tall. It was nice and stiff, even towering about 1/2 inch above the top of the glass. It was very sticky, too, ramping high up the side of the glass and leaving lots of lace behind. I really don't think a wheat could look any better than this.

Smell: Classic wheat smell. Lots of grasses, wheat, grains and straw formed the bulk of the aroma. Over the top of this was very light banana and vanilla, combined with a stronger hit of lemon.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a very grainy, chewy feel. Almost thick feeling in the mouth.

Taste: The flavor was an exact duplication of the aroma. Tons of thick grain and wheat flavors persisted from start to finish. A light lemon component arose in the middle, but it remained fairly subdued. Some banana, vanilla, and clove appeared on the finish and lingered into the aftertaste with the wheat.

I was extremely impressed by this beer. Definitely need to snag a few more while they are still available. (1,070 characters)

Sweaty Betty Blonde from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub