Sweaty Betty Blonde - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 06-06-2004)
2.75/5  rDev -19.8%

dertyd, Feb 08, 2014

Janeinma, Jan 20, 2013

The beer poured with minimal head, even though I poured the second half stiffly, and is a clear lager-like (or even lighter) straw yellow, nothing to write home about here. The head dissipated rapidly and left minimal lacing about the glass

The beer though has quite the interesting nose with a huge hit of witbier citrus and coriander along with a bit of wheat and banana. Smells like it may be good...

...or not. Well, that's a little too harsh. The beer is best described as weak. All the flavours on the nose are in the beer - I think, but they are so weak they can be scarcely tasted save my hunting for them. The beer seems watered down as it has a very low carbonation. There is a higher maltiness (at least I think that's what it is) at the outset, and it finishes with a some citrus before it all too quickly falls off the palate as though I had never consumed it. It's a beer I could drink lots of simply because it doesn't feel like much, but that doesn't mean I would want to drink that much of it.

kjyost, Jan 15, 2010

doucmehu, May 20, 2012

MN_Beerticker, Dec 02, 2013
4.08/5  rDev +19%

I grabbed this at the sterling Sun Singer on a nice warm day. In part, I've also been on a wheat kick, and this fit the bill. The presentation was decent, standard--thin white head over a light orange body, no discernible lacing. Good color, though.

The nose represented an improvement, full of fruit and a surprising bit of hops. The same with the taste. For a pale wheat, I expected the fruit to outweigh the hop gritty texture and taste. There was a very good balance in Sweaty Betty--grapefruit, apricot, and banana with a nice hop coating. Very nice.

Hops did much for the mouthfeel, which would have been thin to the point of precarious without the ample hop complement. Had I more time, I would have knocked back two more of these in a snap. Delicious and balanced, Sweaty Betty has a harsher name than the beer will ever realize. It's smooth, semi-sweet, not bitter, and great to kick back and enjoy on a hot day. Good stuff.

Gehrig, Apr 24, 2008
3.45/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured into a standard pint glass. The beer is a hazy light straw color. It looks watery. The fizzy white head settles to a film of bubbles and there is decent lacing. The beers smells ... sweet and floral, but there's something in the aroma I can't pinpoint. Something metallic and tangy. The beer follows the general pattern for wheats, with it's grainy, grassy backbone, but there's something metallic and weird in this beer. The mouthfeel is light bodied, but highly carbonated.

Overall, I just didn't like this beer, period. Everything from it's appearance to taste had something about it i didn't like. I also don't like the 5.9% for a wheat beer, seems a bit high. However I don't regret trying it and I'll finish the sixer. Just not again.

JuicesFlowing, Jun 21, 2012
3.58/5  rDev +4.4%

Presentation: 12 oz bottle with a label in the style of their Looking Glass beers. 6 packs are new this spring. Description of the beer on one side, ingredients on the other. Drink by date of July 13 05 on the neck. Kudos to Boulder Beer for providing the consumer plenty of info about the beer.

Appearance: Poured in to a weizen glass. Cloudy yellow color with a nice thick white head. Definitely looks appealing on a warm spring day. Head has nice retention, and leaves a good amount of lacing

Smell: Typical hefe aroma - banana and spices. Beyond that I'm not too adept at picking out the hefe notes.

Taste: Banana flavor, along with a nice what body. Medium bodied with a smooth carbonation. Decent example of the hefe style.

Overall impression: I had this beer last spring, and wasn't too impressed. I feel like they may have changed the recipe slightly, or maybe my tastes changed, but I enjoyed it this time.

rowew, Apr 16, 2005
2.75/5  rDev -19.8%

grahamboudreaux, Mar 20, 2013

rudabegga9, Jul 17, 2014

Pours a cloudy orange yellow, small white head that doesn't last, no lacing either. Aroma of wheat, bananas and spices. Flavors of wheat, banana-clove bubblegum flavors. Medium body with mild carbonation, almost flat, finishes with some sweetness, I was disappointed with this, maybe worth a try but I wouldn't buy this again.

maxpower, Jul 26, 2004
3.18/5  rDev -7.3%

From Notes:

A: Hazy, almost neon colored yellow, cloudy and unfiltered. 3.5

S: Very heavy on the yeast, lots of different aromas lemony/citrusy, wheat, almost like chapstick. 3.0

T: Very light, a lot of the yeasty flavors carry from the smell to the taste. Pale wheat malts. Pretty light and refreshing. 3.0

M: Thin, light and crisp. Clean finish. 3.5

D: Great summer session beer. I could drink a lot of these, not a bad beer at all. 3.5

pokesbeerdude, Aug 06, 2008

braican, Dec 06, 2012
3.88/5  rDev +13.1%

This beer pours a cloudy pale yellow straw with an average sized white head. The smell is very malty and especially "bisquity". Other smells include lemon and wheat. This is a pretty good smelling beer. The taste is very refreshing with lemon, wheat, yeast, and a creamy citrus flavor. The m/f is light and well balanced. A very good summer beer, I can see myself having a few of these.

jmz62565, Jun 25, 2006
3.5/5  rDev +2%

[Best served in a Weizen glass]

Poured a hazy yellow with a small frothy white head that was mostly diminishing and had fair lacing. The aroma was very light of grain malts, flowery hops, sweet yeast and a nice hint of citrus. It tasted sweet and yeasty at first and finished with a light sweet yeast and citrus flavor that lasted a decent amount of time. Mouthfeel was light in body and a little watery in texture. Overall a very nice Blonde Wheat Ale, great for the warm weather (not to heavy, but not to light).

KajII, Mar 09, 2011

WesM63, Sep 26, 2012

Poured this into a pint glass. This one appears a hazy pale yellow color with about a finger of creamy white head. The head dissolves down to a thin layer of foam pretty quickly.

Kind of grainy in the aroma with a little bit of spicy hops in the background. A little bit of a banana aroma to this also. Toast malt flavor with peppery hops. A little bit sweet to finish in it. Nothing really exciting going on here, but also nothing offensive going on here.

The feel is light and the carbonation is a bit prickley. Overall, nothing bad but nothing great. I don't see myself going back to this one, but I wouldn't turn it away.

Bendurgin, Apr 21, 2011

leinie13, Jul 06, 2012

12oz. bottle thanks to jhammerly

Pours a hazy straw color with a small white head that fades. No lacing on the glass.

Yeasty and bready aroma with a slightly sour smell.

Tastes likeit smells. Bready and yeasty with a slight sourness that rides through the finish. Not offensive, but misplaced. Maybe this one is past it's prime.

Thin body, light carbonation.

Meh, another plain jane pale wheat with a slight sourness. Unsure if this was intended or if my sample is beyond it's life expectancy. Either way, I probably would have scored it just the same...

MaltyGoodness, Oct 11, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

KeyWestGator, Jun 12, 2013

freewill35, Oct 04, 2012

zoso1967, Dec 05, 2011
3.53/5  rDev +2.9%

A: small white head that disapears quickly. Very little bubbles and no lacing. Cloudy and yellow in color.

S: Lemon, Banana, Merangue. Smells of a traditional german hef.

T: The flavors follow the nose, however, not as strongly. The flavor is a clean, traditional wheat beer flavor. Nothing blows me away here, but for the style, its above average.

M: Clean, light, good carbonation. Refreshing but nothing special.

D: I marked the drinkability as a 4, good, because again, for the style, it is above average and I could have quite a few of these (if in the mood for a light refreshing, summer beer)

rrski198, Dec 17, 2010
3.63/5  rDev +5.8%

This is a decent American hefe, but like many attempts, it seems like they really over did it with the banana esters. Pours to a cloudy golden color with a thick white head and an active carbonation. Decent lacing.

The aroma is not bad. Has a strong banana smell with clove and lemon zest. Even has a nice hoppiness.

Sweet with banana, only a hint of clove spiciness. A bit of citrus zest in the finish. Has a cheap malt flavor. I've had much worse though. Fairly hoppy for the style, but not quite a pale, and not enough to counter the cloying banana flavor.

I probably won't buy it again, but it wasn't by any means painful to drink.

neonbrown82, Jul 20, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -21.9%

I ended up drinking this because my in-laws insisted it was terrible and having enjoyed other offerings from Boulder Beer, I had to see for myself.
No freshness info.

a: A crystal clear light gold, like a macro-lager. White head quickly subsides, no lacing to speak of.

s: Some lemon notes, not much else.

t: Lemon up front, some bitterness in the finish, don't taste any hops.
I think I see what they area complaining about, there is a strange sourness.
I don't know how to explain it exactly, it is somewhat tart and surprisingly acidic. Not sure if this is intentional or if this bottle is just past its prime.

m: Very light body.

d: The sourness/tartness and the acidity hurts the drinkability. It is a very light beer that doesn't have much flavor. What flavor is present is not particularly enjoyable. I don't know if it was just my bottle or not, but if this is how it always tastes, I would avoid it.

BradLikesBrew, Nov 24, 2007