2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sweaty Betty Blonde - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Sweaty Betty BlondeSweaty Betty Blonde

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 06-06-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 226-250 | 251-275 | 276-300  | next › last »
Ratings: 614 | Reviews: 300 | Show All Ratings:
Outchillen

Had this on draft

A: pale yellow, slightly hazy

S:smelled like a belgian wheat, strong yeast, nice white head

T/M: Had beligan banana and clove taste, light to medium body,

Overall i wasnt too impressed after hearing a story how its an american wheat, it wasnt light bodied or light yeast tasting like a lot of american wheats, more of a hef or wit

05-11-2011 00:41:34 | More by Outchillen
msjacilynn

3.53/5  rDev +2.6%

A: pours a golden yellow with white foamy head

S: definitely sweet masking the malt. Lemon, wheat and a bit of malt.

T: sweet almost sour lemon initially that gives way to a malty body.

M: thin and a bit undercarbonated.

D: very refreshing for a beer and likely to have a few on a hot summer day/night.

11-05-2010 01:30:02 | More by msjacilynn
unclecrappy

3.4/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My most recent sample of Sweaty Betty was part of a mixed case of Boulder stuff. It's a little unfortunate, because compared with Mojo, Hazed and their Flashback anniversary ale, it suffers a little bit.

Appearance is nice, but nothing special. Straw gold, with a little yeasty haze. I wanted more from the nose, as I've been drinking Troeg's Dreamweaver all summer, and that one is loaded. Betty is a little bready, maybe with a touch of banana. I'd hoped the taste would be a little bolder as well; you get some of the banana/clove trademark of the style, but it's pretty subtle. A very fine carbonation lends a creamy mouthfeel, which is one of the things I wanted from this. And drinkability? On the back porch of a friend's house on a warm summer night? Yeah -- that worked pretty well.

I'm a big fan of the style, and Sweaty Betty doesn't quite hold up against some of my favorites. But if you hand me one this summer, I'm going to be happy to see it every time.

07-07-2009 02:47:33 | More by unclecrappy
GarrettB

Colorado

3.53/5  rDev +2.6%

Sweaty Betty is Boulder Beer’s entry into the wheat beer style. I personally love wheat beers - they’re refreshing, taste like a meal, and have a wonderful consistency and high standard between breweries, with enough flexibility in style and character to make each one different. Boulder Beer’s wheat feels less like a unique brew than others (Easy Street Wheat, for example, tastes very different) but remains an deeply satisfying beer. The aroma is strong and seducing, packed with lemon, white grapes, and the by now familiar coupling of banana esters and a touch of exotic clove. The flavor is less thrilling, losing much of its depth in a haze of heavy carbonation. I mostly detect wheat and corn tortilla flavors, gradually panning out to include some banana on the tongue, but tragically little. The Sweaty Betty is still a fair sample of the style, and I hope to set it aside and drink it in comparative calm and quiet. However, as a coaster-dampener for a cool summer evening it fared admirably, even if not spectacularly. The memory of that evening belongs to the grill and the sunset, not the beer.

08-24-2011 20:54:38 | More by GarrettB
SouthFLBeerLover

3.13/5  rDev -9%

A: Very light yellow color with a small head that dissipates rather quickly.

S: Not much going on there. I prefer wheat beer that you can really smell the wheat in it.

T: Not bad, but not great either. Could be little more wheaty, after all this is a Pale Wheat Ale.

M: Small bubbles. Slightly watery.

O: An average wheat beer that goes down smoothly on a hot summer day, but by no means one of the better wheat beers out there.

06-15-2011 22:00:48 | More by SouthFLBeerLover
rodcom

2.45/5  rDev -28.8%

Had this beer at the drafting room in Exton PA. Great name for a beer and certainly got me to try it! As for the taste, it was a wheat beer, but it tasted water downed compared to most...I guess it was the sweat from Betty in the beer. Would not even bother trying.

05-05-2008 23:51:37 | More by rodcom
dayswonder

3.73/5  rDev +8.4%

minimal to zero head, the foam dissipates rapidly after being poured

tart sour grapefruit come do mind when taking a sniff of this one

a very mellow somewhat bland taste, not full of spices like some other wheat beers

great mouthful, after the initial tingle on the palette the smoothness coats your tongue

if your looking for a beer that is light and refreshing for summer, id go with this one

07-24-2010 00:47:10 | More by dayswonder
laramis

South Carolina

3.83/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Guinness pint glass closet thing available to a weizen glass

A: poured a cloudy yellow very soft in color not to large of a head but it did leave some good lacing

S: The wheat is very clear there are also smells of yeast a slight citrus note and a sweet aroma

T: Wheat malts then sweetness and then a bit of spice some what doughy yet refreshing

M: Again it is refreshing not overly carbonated quite enjoyable to drink and easily drinkable in multitudes

O: This beer is a beer i would come back to again and again not only do i like it for the style it is also a beer that is just enjoyable period i am a fan of sweeter brews and there is just something about this beer that i really like

02-08-2013 05:31:09 | More by laramis
TooleBurger

1.15/5  rDev -66.6%

I tried a bottle of this based upon a recommendation of a friend. As soon as I opened it up, the beer smelled like a yest-filled armpit which really turned me off.

I figured I would taste it anyway, but the taste was just as bad. The smell was so strong, it made my tongue go numb and I almost yakked in the beer itself.

Even when I gulped down the first sip, all I could taste was that yest-filled armpit smell in my mouth. It was bad. I usually like wheat ales, but this one was a loser.

01-26-2009 19:38:15 | More by TooleBurger
CaptMurdock

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Nonic Pint

Look: The beer appeared a very cloudy golden and cleared up as it warmed. Even after a very hard pour there was very little head to speak of and minimal lacing throughout.

Smell: The aroma was quite simple but very welcoming. Up front I got the essence of wheat which was followed up with sharp whiffs of lemon and peppery spice.

Taste: Much like the aroma the wheat came right to the front of this flavor. It is a big wheat taste that works very well with the other flavors. Then the citrus and peppery spice creep up on you leaving the finish very dry and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Very dry with a heavier body than I was expecting given the style and color.

Drinkability: Very drinkable! I just wish I had this on a warm summer afternoon by the grill instead of holed up in my house watching snow fall outside. I will certanly revisit this one once the spring hits.

01-12-2010 12:44:33 | More by CaptMurdock
AARomanov

3.38/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Pours a surprisingly pale yellow. Was expecting something with a slightly more orange hue. Even in a champagne flute (don't ask why I used this) the beer was very opaque. Minimal head and retention and virtually no lacing.

Ar - Can't pick much up besides citrus and light banana with some cloves.

T - Fairly light body. Nothing really stands out in the taste, not even the wheat. Does have a bit of spice in the finish (almost peppery?)

D - Served cold enough this beer would go down easy and refresh on a hot day. Save it for the poolside.

09-15-2010 00:36:55 | More by AARomanov
LimoBarbie

4.18/5  rDev +21.5%

I liked this beer a LOT. It was very clean and had a banana note along with a nice mouthfeel and a crisp finish. I had a couple of six packs of this over the summer and they went down easy and although it's not easy to find here, I will be hunting for it in the future. It makes a nice replacement for the Abita strawberry lager that I REALLY love but can't get very often.

05-16-2010 22:09:24 | More by LimoBarbie
msh4k3

2.73/5  rDev -20.6%

Bottle into a chalice

date says best before july 4th.

a. A light lemony yellow bottom and a musty yellow kind of golden color top. poured gently with a bit of head that lingers.

s. You smell a bit of wheat malts and a tad bit of a banana.

t. a bit of wheat malts tamed by a tiny bit of a lemon flavor and a hint of banana in it. It taste like a pale lager mix with a wheat beer.

M. Its the best bit. Its really kind of yeasty creamy, and smooth. Pretty refreshing but i guess thats the only redeeming quality.

O. It is a refreshing beer, but if you are looking for something with a little flavor or complexity, you've been barking up the wrong tree.

04-28-2012 03:39:14 | More by msh4k3
DocAJ

Alabama

3.65/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured 12 oz bottle to pint glass

A-cloudy, straw colored, looks like an unfiltered wheat should, thin head

S-earthy, bread, banana-apple-pear fruit notes

T-a little banana, citrus, clove flavor is subtle at first, a little overpowering by the end, tasty nonetheless ( I would have rated taste a bit higher had the clove not been so overpowering by the finish)

M-smooth and creamy, nice carbonation, very clean aftertaste

D-very strong marks here; i had been disappointed with my recent luck with wheat ales, but I found this one quite refreshing and could have quite a few of these

01-22-2011 04:39:14 | More by DocAJ
gos42

4.22/5  rDev +22.7%

First had this beer at the Philly Beer Fest and was happy to buy it again in bottel when my local brewspot started carrying it.

Betty is a lovely lady. Not too harsh or pungent, she flows easily from the bottle into a waiting glass. She smells lighter than she drinks. In an open glass, I was surprised that she didn't have as much of an odor as I remembered trying her on draft. (Of course, that could have been that I was in a huge room full of sweaty guys, but that's a post for a different site.)

It's when Betty touches your lips that she excels. Classic Blonde. Smooth and textured, with elements that hit both the tip of the tongue and hte back of the throat at the same time.

Betty will be in my rotation as long as she's around.

05-06-2009 04:06:10 | More by gos42
Windigo

2.03/5  rDev -41%

Sweaty Betty is definitely a dishwater blonde...she's sorta weak altogether. Now look, if you do not like the traditional skunk of a heffe...then you may actually enjoy this. The appearance when poured was cloudy and not in a good way. The nose was a metallic skunk reminding me of fennel. The head was short-lived at best but it kicked up high initially like a wheat should. I expect a fruity experience from an American wheat....totally disappointed as were my Beer Geeks.

11-28-2011 21:11:15 | More by Windigo
ttfreek

Connecticut

3.78/5  rDev +9.9%

I open the bottle and pour, eyes focused on the game on this gloomy spring day. The first sip intrigues me. It is wheat, it is blonde. It is the fermented drops of Betty's Sweat. And it tastes wonderful. Golden like blonde locks, wheaty but not overly fruity or citrusy. Refreshing and I am away from the game, dancing with the mysterious Betty in fields of dandelion. The 6 pack is gone, my team wins.

04-30-2007 04:56:25 | More by ttfreek
Johnlikeshefe

Utah

4.38/5  rDev +27.3%

This beer recently took 1st place in the American Wheat category at a Brew fest in Rhode Island. Widmer Bros hefe came in second. Widmer Bros. hefe is my everyday favorite brew. So I had to give Sweaty Betty a try.... Not available in Utah I brought some home from a recent trip to AZ. This is a nice American Wheat. It has a hint of banana and clove, but not like a Bavarian style-hefe. It is more in the American wheat camp....smooth and not too spicy. It' s well worth a try if you like American wheats like Widmer, Pyramid, etc... If you're looking for a Bavarian style like Keller Weiss or any of the German wheats then it may not be spicy enough. If you're looking for a smooth American wheat with a just a hint of spice that goes down nice, then Sweaty Betty is a good choice. If it were available locally, I'd drink it regularly.
It also has a higher ABV at nearly 6 percent, but without the heavier spirit taste. You'd never know it from the taste. It goes down like a 4.8, so beware...it's smooth and w/. The higher alcohol content could pack a punch....

11-24-2012 19:14:25 | More by Johnlikeshefe
dturchin

2.6/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

not a fan at all...clear bright yellow hue reminiscent of your standard "macro muck" not much in the way of pronounced smells, slight citrus and subtle grassy notes, but otherwise pretty flat...

taste is pure citrus...big, slick artificially lemony, hint of orange, medium hoppiness, tart tart tart...too tart, very light mouthfeel and overly prickly, fortunately, i just want to get this stuff down

not a big fan of this beer...i know you shouldnt expect the same delicious flavors from the phenols and esters you get from the German version but there's not much too exciting about this beer.

that said, it rates higher on drinkability, but most American Pale wheats do...it would make a pretty damn good summer sessioner...medium hops, citrusy character, light body...a great beer to bring to the beach or have at a bbq though there are much better options (try left hands haystack if you want to stay in style)

07-17-2006 22:37:33 | More by dturchin
TheSMUSpaz

4.33/5  rDev +25.9%

I really enjoyed this beer. It's probably my favorite wheat beer not from a bar tap. I bought it at the same time as some Samuel Adams Summer Ale, and while that was good, this was just slightly better. It had a little more of a citrusy taste, which I enjoyed.

06-30-2007 20:27:25 | More by TheSMUSpaz
Arielle

Arizona

2.33/5  rDev -32.3%

When I saw the label on this one, I was excited, but it turns out the age old adage is correct, you cannot judge a book by its' cover. Up front this poured a straw yellow, hazy and opaque color, and it had no head, and no lacing. It smelled a little citrusy, kind of minty, and like unbaked bread - kind of sweet, but also a little doughy.

On first sip I knew this one had missed its mark, not by much, but definately not an award winner. It is not balanced between the yeast, the hops, the concept, at all. Sweaty Betty turned out to be a very appropriate moniker, as this beer really did taste kind of sweaty. I want to try the beer this would have been without the 10k it just ran behind it. It has promise underneath it's hesitant, and unfulfilled idea, but for now I will not be purchasing it again.

11-12-2009 01:33:28 | More by Arielle
WellDont

4.78/5  rDev +39%

Pours golden "blonde" into a pint glass with a frothy head that stays almost completely still as I drink it.

Smell is extremely pleasant. Banana first comes to mind with a slight hint of citrus. One of the best smelling wheat's I've come across.

Taste is very similar to smell. A hint of banana up front with hoppy and lemon notes. Little bit of a clove aftertaste for me. I love this stuff.

Mouthfeel is light but still passes my test. Great for drinking several of them at a time, you'll just keep going back for more.

Overall I can say this is definitely one of my favorite beers to date. I am a huge fan of wheat beers, though. For someone looking for an incredible amount of flavor you might want something else, but for an easy drinking and delicious beer you can't beat one of these. I'd love to try it on tap at some point.

08-21-2012 23:16:56 | More by WellDont
ZackMartin00

Missouri

3.83/5  rDev +11.3%

This beer is what I would consider a staple. Sweaty Betty offers a light, easy to drink banana undertone, with a thin, wispy head of average retention. When you are going with an alternative brew, this is a decent candidate! Don't let the negative reviews keep you from trying it at the very least.

05-23-2010 02:43:38 | More by ZackMartin00
Iheartbeer

4.38/5  rDev +27.3%

Crisp, Clean and refreshing. I will buy over Harpoon and SA. Certainly will suit the non-traditional Hefe taster as it may seem "light" to those more experienced palates. Also, checks in at 5.9% but doesn't taste like it. I loved the finish and after taste.

07-13-2012 16:00:41 | More by Iheartbeer
KWHodges56

Tennessee

4.7/5  rDev +36.6%

Best Beer I have ever had, and it comes with a healthy kick too! I want MORE!! It is a spring beer that only comes around once a year, but I anticipate having this beer and beg my supplier to have it in stock for me. From the great, clean taste to the appearance and feel of this beer, it gets consistent high marks from me.

04-17-2013 19:47:41 | More by KWHodges56