Microbrew Invitational

Availability: Summer

Added by Quaffer on 06-06-2004

Reviews: 311 | Ratings: 763
3.3/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pretty standard beer for the style. Appears a hazy pale gold with almost no foam, the fruity aroma is very inticing, however, for some reason, the taste never seemed to come through.

It was a typical, wheaty, bready taste with a faint sweet aftertaste of fruits and honey. Got better as it warmed, but still seemed a little thin. Drank this after a light jog in 90-degree weather and this was refreshing.

Although I found the taste a little lacking, this is one of the better summer beers and given Boulder's track record, I'd be interested in trying this again.

3.67/5  rDev +5.5%

A - Kinda murky goldish-yellow, with a quickly dissipating thin head. Very little lacing to speak of, but the color is pretty nice.

S - Oddly, smells alot like bananas. Banana Nut Bread to be exact, with some slight citrus overtones. Very interesting to say the least.

T - Not bad for a wheat ale. Has a hint of banana, with some rich wheatiness and a little citrus on the finish. Has a very pleasant banana nut bread aftertaste.

M - Some carbonation, but overall it has a fairly pleasant feel to it. Not too light, not too heavy, right where it should be.

O - Not bad for a wheat ale, as you may know already I haven't had many, but this one isn't bad for what it is. A pleasant little beer with a good unique character. Works for me!

3.48/5  rDev 0%

I'll be honest, I am not a fan of wheat beers. I bought this sixer as an impulse because I wanted something I had not tried yet. I didn't realize it was a wheat beer till I got home. The saucy blonde with blue eyes on package was a cute idea, caught my eye in the craft beer section.

Beer poured a cloudy golden brown with a finger-width of head that soon faded.

Had a some-what spice, some-what earthy smell with slight tropical fruit under-tones

Taste had some of that fruity/cloying flavor to it that many adore and I can put up with. Well balanced, the notes were there and not too overpowering.

Nice fizziness! Almost reminded me of mineral water. As you swallow the fruity/banana/whatever flavors pass over the palette and you're left with a pleasant wheaty aftertaste. A bit sticky and a little thin, but that's just being critical.

Very drinkable given the style. The clean finish is very appealing in a wheat beer.

3.11/5  rDev -10.6%

Pour a very light yellow. Stong aroma of mashed banana. Whispy head that leaves some lacing. Flavor is crisp to start. Slight citrus, good carbonation, refreshing. The end is disappointing as it lacks the depth of flavor from other styles I've tried. I'll try it again to see if its just my allergies messing with my taste buds. Overall I think its a fair representation of the style. Cool artwork on the bottle.

3.56/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured into a chilled pint glass.
Looks a golden yellow color, just slightly hazy, smallish head which didn't stick around long.
Smells kind of yeasty and like a slice of whole wheat bread.
Decently carbonated on the tongue.
Tastes like a hefe with a dash of spice and lemon.
This beer isn't the worst. It has a decent ABV that is well masked. It is easy to drink but not the style that I can appreciate fully so I will give the rest of them to my friends who like this style.

3.63/5  rDev +4.3%

Had on tap at a local restaurant. Light gold in color with a solid fluffy head. No real lacing to speak of. Fairly cloudy. Smells yeasty and slightly like bananas with lemon and coriander aromas on top. Taste is slightly tarty with bits of the lemon and coriander. Has a solid, high carbonation level. Very drinkable, particularly in the summertime!

Not an earth shattering beer by any means, but a solid, quality summer wheat ale that is both light and delicious.

3.65/5  rDev +4.9%

A: A light straw color, very cloudy. Egg-shell colored head which dissipates, clinging heavily to the glass.

S: Mostly sweet, with banana and bread aromas. Some citrus as well.

T: Tastes like it smells - banana bread and lemons. Perhaps a little vanilla as well. Fades to a pleasant sweet flavor. I think it is a little too sweet - would be better if it had a little more citrus bite.

M: Creamy on on the mouth, with average carbonation.

D: Very typical for the style. A nice beer that succeeds but fails to stand out. The persistently sweet finish is a nice touch, but would prevent me from really throwing these back.

A nice summer Ale, got on Growler, poured a yellow gold color with minimal head. looks and smells prett unassuming but It's got a nice taste of wheat and yeast with a touch of clove maybe some sort of other fruit to, goes down really smooth nice and refreshing, not to much of a bite but thats alright.

2.95/5  rDev -15.2%

A slightly hazy, yellow beer with a fizzy, white head that dissipated quickly. Wheat aroma with some citrus. Taste has the slight spice of a wheat beer but no complexity. Mouthfeel is prickly, a little harsh.

Overall acceptable, but there are better choices.

3.33/5  rDev -4.3%

A - Hazy straw color with small white head that disappears.

S - Soft wheat, spice, pepper, yeasty, and some lemon

T - Nice wheat flavor, pepper, lemon fruitiness, and yeast notes.

M/D - Light mouthfeel, and nice carb. Average wheat with common wheat, pepper, yeasty notes. A touch watery, but might be nice on a hot day.

3.79/5  rDev +8.9%

A: poured into lefthand pint glass orange tan haze with a small bubbled creamy white head
S: fruity malty sweetness with a hint a bannans
T: very tart up front followed by little hint of malt and banannas that leaves little drying bitterness
M: nice ok body not to thin or thick goes down easy nice carbination when served extra cold
D: great summer beer when its really hot and your not doing anything

Had this on draft

A: pale yellow, slightly hazy

S:smelled like a belgian wheat, strong yeast, nice white head

T/M: Had beligan banana and clove taste, light to medium body,

Overall i wasnt too impressed after hearing a story how its an american wheat, it wasnt light bodied or light yeast tasting like a lot of american wheats, more of a hef or wit

3.81/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Guinness pint glass closet thing available to a weizen glass

A: poured a cloudy yellow very soft in color not to large of a head but it did leave some good lacing

S: The wheat is very clear there are also smells of yeast a slight citrus note and a sweet aroma

T: Wheat malts then sweetness and then a bit of spice some what doughy yet refreshing

M: Again it is refreshing not overly carbonated quite enjoyable to drink and easily drinkable in multitudes

O: This beer is a beer i would come back to again and again not only do i like it for the style it is also a beer that is just enjoyable period i am a fan of sweeter brews and there is just something about this beer that i really like

4.22/5  rDev +21.3%

First had this beer at the Philly Beer Fest and was happy to buy it again in bottel when my local brewspot started carrying it.

Betty is a lovely lady. Not too harsh or pungent, she flows easily from the bottle into a waiting glass. She smells lighter than she drinks. In an open glass, I was surprised that she didn't have as much of an odor as I remembered trying her on draft. (Of course, that could have been that I was in a huge room full of sweaty guys, but that's a post for a different site.)

It's when Betty touches your lips that she excels. Classic Blonde. Smooth and textured, with elements that hit both the tip of the tongue and hte back of the throat at the same time.

Betty will be in my rotation as long as she's around.

4.3/5  rDev +23.6%

Updated 09/04/06:
I basically stand by what I had written before however I would like to add that the smell this time was more of a citrus fruit than banana, and the taste had quite a bit of lemon tang to it. I wasn't served with a lemon, thank goodness, but it still had that nice citrusness to it.
I once again enjoyed this beer.

Original:
This beer poured a cloudy light copper color.
Smelled of yeast and bananas. The taste was of canned peaches and bread dough.
It had quite a bit of carbonation with a dry finish.
I felt this was a great hefe. I had this beer after a weekend of backpacking, my mind was quite numb and my notes on this beer were sparse. I’m sure it deserves more description than I can decipher from my notes

3.18/5  rDev -8.6%

Picked up a six-pack of 12oz bottles at Fenwick Beer & Wine in Silver Spring, MD. Poured into a pint glass.

Pours with nice blond/golden color with thin head that keeps throughout. No lacing on the glass.

Smell provides hints of wheat, bananas, and a little lemon.

Taste is light with not as much spiciness that I would have expected from this style of beer. Though it hides its 5.9 ABV rather well. Overall it is pretty light and refreshing and makes a nice summertime drink.

3.52/5  rDev +1.1%

A: pours a golden yellow with white foamy head

S: definitely sweet masking the malt. Lemon, wheat and a bit of malt.

T: sweet almost sour lemon initially that gives way to a malty body.

M: thin and a bit undercarbonated.

D: very refreshing for a beer and likely to have a few on a hot summer day/night.

3.38/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

My most recent sample of Sweaty Betty was part of a mixed case of Boulder stuff. It's a little unfortunate, because compared with Mojo, Hazed and their Flashback anniversary ale, it suffers a little bit.

Appearance is nice, but nothing special. Straw gold, with a little yeasty haze. I wanted more from the nose, as I've been drinking Troeg's Dreamweaver all summer, and that one is loaded. Betty is a little bready, maybe with a touch of banana. I'd hoped the taste would be a little bolder as well; you get some of the banana/clove trademark of the style, but it's pretty subtle. A very fine carbonation lends a creamy mouthfeel, which is one of the things I wanted from this. And drinkability? On the back porch of a friend's house on a warm summer night? Yeah -- that worked pretty well.

I'm a big fan of the style, and Sweaty Betty doesn't quite hold up against some of my favorites. But if you hand me one this summer, I'm going to be happy to see it every time.

2.73/5  rDev -21.6%

Bottle into a chalice

date says best before july 4th.

a. A light lemony yellow bottom and a musty yellow kind of golden color top. poured gently with a bit of head that lingers.

s. You smell a bit of wheat malts and a tad bit of a banana.

t. a bit of wheat malts tamed by a tiny bit of a lemon flavor and a hint of banana in it. It taste like a pale lager mix with a wheat beer.

M. Its the best bit. Its really kind of yeasty creamy, and smooth. Pretty refreshing but i guess thats the only redeeming quality.

O. It is a refreshing beer, but if you are looking for something with a little flavor or complexity, you've been barking up the wrong tree.

2.02/5  rDev -42%

Sweaty Betty is definitely a dishwater blonde...she's sorta weak altogether. Now look, if you do not like the traditional skunk of a heffe...then you may actually enjoy this. The appearance when poured was cloudy and not in a good way. The nose was a metallic skunk reminding me of fennel. The head was short-lived at best but it kicked up high initially like a wheat should. I expect a fruity experience from an American wheat....totally disappointed as were my Beer Geeks.

3.08/5  rDev -11.5%

A: Very light yellow color with a small head that dissipates rather quickly.

S: Not much going on there. I prefer wheat beer that you can really smell the wheat in it.

T: Not bad, but not great either. Could be little more wheaty, after all this is a Pale Wheat Ale.

M: Small bubbles. Slightly watery.

O: An average wheat beer that goes down smoothly on a hot summer day, but by no means one of the better wheat beers out there.

2.48/5  rDev -28.7%

Had this beer at the drafting room in Exton PA. Great name for a beer and certainly got me to try it! As for the taste, it was a wheat beer, but it tasted water downed compared to most...I guess it was the sweat from Betty in the beer. Would not even bother trying.

3.73/5  rDev +7.2%

minimal to zero head, the foam dissipates rapidly after being poured

tart sour grapefruit come do mind when taking a sniff of this one

a very mellow somewhat bland taste, not full of spices like some other wheat beers

great mouthful, after the initial tingle on the palette the smoothness coats your tongue

if your looking for a beer that is light and refreshing for summer, id go with this one

1.17/5  rDev -66.4%

I tried a bottle of this based upon a recommendation of a friend. As soon as I opened it up, the beer smelled like a yest-filled armpit which really turned me off.

I figured I would taste it anyway, but the taste was just as bad. The smell was so strong, it made my tongue go numb and I almost yakked in the beer itself.

Even when I gulped down the first sip, all I could taste was that yest-filled armpit smell in my mouth. It was bad. I usually like wheat ales, but this one was a loser.

3.35/5  rDev -3.7%

A - Pours a surprisingly pale yellow. Was expecting something with a slightly more orange hue. Even in a champagne flute (don't ask why I used this) the beer was very opaque. Minimal head and retention and virtually no lacing.

Ar - Can't pick much up besides citrus and light banana with some cloves.

T - Fairly light body. Nothing really stands out in the taste, not even the wheat. Does have a bit of spice in the finish (almost peppery?)

D - Served cold enough this beer would go down easy and refresh on a hot day. Save it for the poolside.

Sweaty Betty Blonde from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub