Sweaty Betty Blonde - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 06-06-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

Nevada

10-30-2013 00:27:00 | More by paulriccio
TooleBurger

1.15/5  rDev -66.6%

I tried a bottle of this based upon a recommendation of a friend. As soon as I opened it up, the beer smelled like a yest-filled armpit which really turned me off.

I figured I would taste it anyway, but the taste was just as bad. The smell was so strong, it made my tongue go numb and I almost yakked in the beer itself.

Even when I gulped down the first sip, all I could taste was that yest-filled armpit smell in my mouth. It was bad. I usually like wheat ales, but this one was a loser.

01-26-2009 19:38:15 | More by TooleBurger
JeffBulson

03-12-2014 02:01:07 | More by JeffBulson
AARomanov

3.38/5  rDev -1.7%

A - Pours a surprisingly pale yellow. Was expecting something with a slightly more orange hue. Even in a champagne flute (don't ask why I used this) the beer was very opaque. Minimal head and retention and virtually no lacing.

Ar - Can't pick much up besides citrus and light banana with some cloves.

T - Fairly light body. Nothing really stands out in the taste, not even the wheat. Does have a bit of spice in the finish (almost peppery?)

D - Served cold enough this beer would go down easy and refresh on a hot day. Save it for the poolside.

09-15-2010 00:36:55 | More by AARomanov
CaptMurdock

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Nonic Pint

Look: The beer appeared a very cloudy golden and cleared up as it warmed. Even after a very hard pour there was very little head to speak of and minimal lacing throughout.

Smell: The aroma was quite simple but very welcoming. Up front I got the essence of wheat which was followed up with sharp whiffs of lemon and peppery spice.

Taste: Much like the aroma the wheat came right to the front of this flavor. It is a big wheat taste that works very well with the other flavors. Then the citrus and peppery spice creep up on you leaving the finish very dry and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Very dry with a heavier body than I was expecting given the style and color.

Drinkability: Very drinkable! I just wish I had this on a warm summer afternoon by the grill instead of holed up in my house watching snow fall outside. I will certanly revisit this one once the spring hits.

01-12-2010 12:44:33 | More by CaptMurdock
LimoBarbie

4.18/5  rDev +21.5%

I liked this beer a LOT. It was very clean and had a banana note along with a nice mouthfeel and a crisp finish. I had a couple of six packs of this over the summer and they went down easy and although it's not easy to find here, I will be hunting for it in the future. It makes a nice replacement for the Abita strawberry lager that I REALLY love but can't get very often.

05-16-2010 22:09:24 | More by LimoBarbie
westcubs

08-04-2012 21:45:31 | More by westcubs
ttfreek

Connecticut

3.78/5  rDev +9.9%

I open the bottle and pour, eyes focused on the game on this gloomy spring day. The first sip intrigues me. It is wheat, it is blonde. It is the fermented drops of Betty's Sweat. And it tastes wonderful. Golden like blonde locks, wheaty but not overly fruity or citrusy. Refreshing and I am away from the game, dancing with the mysterious Betty in fields of dandelion. The 6 pack is gone, my team wins.

04-30-2007 04:56:25 | More by ttfreek

06-27-2012 01:41:29 | More by MargaretGelly
Johnlikeshefe

Utah

4.38/5  rDev +27.3%

This beer recently took 1st place in the American Wheat category at a Brew fest in Rhode Island. Widmer Bros hefe came in second. Widmer Bros. hefe is my everyday favorite brew. So I had to give Sweaty Betty a try.... Not available in Utah I brought some home from a recent trip to AZ. This is a nice American Wheat. It has a hint of banana and clove, but not like a Bavarian style-hefe. It is more in the American wheat camp....smooth and not too spicy. It' s well worth a try if you like American wheats like Widmer, Pyramid, etc... If you're looking for a Bavarian style like Keller Weiss or any of the German wheats then it may not be spicy enough. If you're looking for a smooth American wheat with a just a hint of spice that goes down nice, then Sweaty Betty is a good choice. If it were available locally, I'd drink it regularly.
It also has a higher ABV at nearly 6 percent, but without the heavier spirit taste. You'd never know it from the taste. It goes down like a 4.8, so beware...it's smooth and w/. The higher alcohol content could pack a punch....

11-24-2012 19:14:25 | More by Johnlikeshefe
pemulis

07-11-2014 17:36:10 | More by pemulis
dturchin

2.6/5  rDev -24.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

not a fan at all...clear bright yellow hue reminiscent of your standard "macro muck" not much in the way of pronounced smells, slight citrus and subtle grassy notes, but otherwise pretty flat...

taste is pure citrus...big, slick artificially lemony, hint of orange, medium hoppiness, tart tart tart...too tart, very light mouthfeel and overly prickly, fortunately, i just want to get this stuff down

not a big fan of this beer...i know you shouldnt expect the same delicious flavors from the phenols and esters you get from the German version but there's not much too exciting about this beer.

that said, it rates higher on drinkability, but most American Pale wheats do...it would make a pretty damn good summer sessioner...medium hops, citrusy character, light body...a great beer to bring to the beach or have at a bbq though there are much better options (try left hands haystack if you want to stay in style)

07-17-2006 22:37:33 | More by dturchin
Danrmoore444

06-18-2014 22:37:40 | More by Danrmoore444
TheSMUSpaz

4.33/5  rDev +25.9%

I really enjoyed this beer. It's probably my favorite wheat beer not from a bar tap. I bought it at the same time as some Samuel Adams Summer Ale, and while that was good, this was just slightly better. It had a little more of a citrusy taste, which I enjoyed.

06-30-2007 20:27:25 | More by TheSMUSpaz
shrtstp2

04-28-2012 19:40:17 | More by shrtstp2
JeffB

07-06-2012 12:07:43 | More by JeffB
Arielle

Arizona

2.33/5  rDev -32.3%

When I saw the label on this one, I was excited, but it turns out the age old adage is correct, you cannot judge a book by its' cover. Up front this poured a straw yellow, hazy and opaque color, and it had no head, and no lacing. It smelled a little citrusy, kind of minty, and like unbaked bread - kind of sweet, but also a little doughy.

On first sip I knew this one had missed its mark, not by much, but definately not an award winner. It is not balanced between the yeast, the hops, the concept, at all. Sweaty Betty turned out to be a very appropriate moniker, as this beer really did taste kind of sweaty. I want to try the beer this would have been without the 10k it just ran behind it. It has promise underneath it's hesitant, and unfulfilled idea, but for now I will not be purchasing it again.

11-12-2009 01:33:28 | More by Arielle
WellDont

4.78/5  rDev +39%

Pours golden "blonde" into a pint glass with a frothy head that stays almost completely still as I drink it.

Smell is extremely pleasant. Banana first comes to mind with a slight hint of citrus. One of the best smelling wheat's I've come across.

Taste is very similar to smell. A hint of banana up front with hoppy and lemon notes. Little bit of a clove aftertaste for me. I love this stuff.

Mouthfeel is light but still passes my test. Great for drinking several of them at a time, you'll just keep going back for more.

Overall I can say this is definitely one of my favorite beers to date. I am a huge fan of wheat beers, though. For someone looking for an incredible amount of flavor you might want something else, but for an easy drinking and delicious beer you can't beat one of these. I'd love to try it on tap at some point.

08-21-2012 23:16:56 | More by WellDont
ZackMartin00

Missouri

3.83/5  rDev +11.3%

This beer is what I would consider a staple. Sweaty Betty offers a light, easy to drink banana undertone, with a thin, wispy head of average retention. When you are going with an alternative brew, this is a decent candidate! Don't let the negative reviews keep you from trying it at the very least.

05-23-2010 02:43:38 | More by ZackMartin00
Ordievet

Wisconsin

3.5/5  rDev +1.7%

07-20-2014 21:56:37 | More by Ordievet
Iheartbeer

4.38/5  rDev +27.3%

Crisp, Clean and refreshing. I will buy over Harpoon and SA. Certainly will suit the non-traditional Hefe taster as it may seem "light" to those more experienced palates. Also, checks in at 5.9% but doesn't taste like it. I loved the finish and after taste.

07-13-2012 16:00:41 | More by Iheartbeer
Evan-the-girl

Louisiana

06-11-2013 22:13:59 | More by Evan-the-girl
KWHodges56

Tennessee

4.7/5  rDev +36.6%

Best Beer I have ever had, and it comes with a healthy kick too! I want MORE!! It is a spring beer that only comes around once a year, but I anticipate having this beer and beg my supplier to have it in stock for me. From the great, clean taste to the appearance and feel of this beer, it gets consistent high marks from me.

04-17-2013 19:47:41 | More by KWHodges56