Sweaty Betty Blonde - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Wheat Ale |  5.20% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 06-06-2004)

RickKitt, Aug 03, 2013
2.45/5  rDev -28.6%

Had this beer at the drafting room in Exton PA. Great name for a beer and certainly got me to try it! As for the taste, it was a wheat beer, but it tasted water downed compared to most...I guess it was the sweat from Betty in the beer. Would not even bother trying.

rodcom, May 05, 2008
3.73/5  rDev +8.7%

minimal to zero head, the foam dissipates rapidly after being poured

tart sour grapefruit come do mind when taking a sniff of this one

a very mellow somewhat bland taste, not full of spices like some other wheat beers

great mouthful, after the initial tingle on the palette the smoothness coats your tongue

if your looking for a beer that is light and refreshing for summer, id go with this one

dayswonder, Jul 24, 2010
2.25/5  rDev -34.4%

Mumra1979, Jul 31, 2013

paulriccio, Oct 30, 2013
1.15/5  rDev -66.5%

I tried a bottle of this based upon a recommendation of a friend. As soon as I opened it up, the beer smelled like a yest-filled armpit which really turned me off.

I figured I would taste it anyway, but the taste was just as bad. The smell was so strong, it made my tongue go numb and I almost yakked in the beer itself.

Even when I gulped down the first sip, all I could taste was that yest-filled armpit smell in my mouth. It was bad. I usually like wheat ales, but this one was a loser.

TooleBurger, Jan 26, 2009

JeffBulson, Mar 12, 2014
3.38/5  rDev -1.5%

A - Pours a surprisingly pale yellow. Was expecting something with a slightly more orange hue. Even in a champagne flute (don't ask why I used this) the beer was very opaque. Minimal head and retention and virtually no lacing.

Ar - Can't pick much up besides citrus and light banana with some cloves.

T - Fairly light body. Nothing really stands out in the taste, not even the wheat. Does have a bit of spice in the finish (almost peppery?)

D - Served cold enough this beer would go down easy and refresh on a hot day. Save it for the poolside.

AARomanov, Sep 15, 2010

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Nonic Pint

Look: The beer appeared a very cloudy golden and cleared up as it warmed. Even after a very hard pour there was very little head to speak of and minimal lacing throughout.

Smell: The aroma was quite simple but very welcoming. Up front I got the essence of wheat which was followed up with sharp whiffs of lemon and peppery spice.

Taste: Much like the aroma the wheat came right to the front of this flavor. It is a big wheat taste that works very well with the other flavors. Then the citrus and peppery spice creep up on you leaving the finish very dry and refreshing.

Mouthfeel: Very dry with a heavier body than I was expecting given the style and color.

Drinkability: Very drinkable! I just wish I had this on a warm summer afternoon by the grill instead of holed up in my house watching snow fall outside. I will certanly revisit this one once the spring hits.

CaptMurdock, Jan 12, 2010
4.18/5  rDev +21.9%

I liked this beer a LOT. It was very clean and had a banana note along with a nice mouthfeel and a crisp finish. I had a couple of six packs of this over the summer and they went down easy and although it's not easy to find here, I will be hunting for it in the future. It makes a nice replacement for the Abita strawberry lager that I REALLY love but can't get very often.

LimoBarbie, May 16, 2010

westcubs, Aug 04, 2012

JessBrittingham, Aug 30, 2014
3.88/5  rDev +13.1%

Loganw91, Aug 15, 2014
3.78/5  rDev +10.2%

I open the bottle and pour, eyes focused on the game on this gloomy spring day. The first sip intrigues me. It is wheat, it is blonde. It is the fermented drops of Betty's Sweat. And it tastes wonderful. Golden like blonde locks, wheaty but not overly fruity or citrusy. Refreshing and I am away from the game, dancing with the mysterious Betty in fields of dandelion. The 6 pack is gone, my team wins.

ttfreek, Apr 30, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

freddypsu, Jan 02, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +2%

MargaretGelly, Jun 27, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +27.7%

This beer recently took 1st place in the American Wheat category at a Brew fest in Rhode Island. Widmer Bros hefe came in second. Widmer Bros. hefe is my everyday favorite brew. So I had to give Sweaty Betty a try.... Not available in Utah I brought some home from a recent trip to AZ. This is a nice American Wheat. It has a hint of banana and clove, but not like a Bavarian style-hefe. It is more in the American wheat camp....smooth and not too spicy. It' s well worth a try if you like American wheats like Widmer, Pyramid, etc... If you're looking for a Bavarian style like Keller Weiss or any of the German wheats then it may not be spicy enough. If you're looking for a smooth American wheat with a just a hint of spice that goes down nice, then Sweaty Betty is a good choice. If it were available locally, I'd drink it regularly.
It also has a higher ABV at nearly 6 percent, but without the heavier spirit taste. You'd never know it from the taste. It goes down like a 4.8, so beware...it's smooth and w/. The higher alcohol content could pack a punch....

Johnlikeshefe, Nov 24, 2012

pemulis, Jul 11, 2014
2.6/5  rDev -24.2%

not a fan at all...clear bright yellow hue reminiscent of your standard "macro muck" not much in the way of pronounced smells, slight citrus and subtle grassy notes, but otherwise pretty flat...

taste is pure citrus...big, slick artificially lemony, hint of orange, medium hoppiness, tart tart tart...too tart, very light mouthfeel and overly prickly, fortunately, i just want to get this stuff down

not a big fan of this beer...i know you shouldnt expect the same delicious flavors from the phenols and esters you get from the German version but there's not much too exciting about this beer.

that said, it rates higher on drinkability, but most American Pale wheats do...it would make a pretty damn good summer sessioner...medium hops, citrusy character, light body...a great beer to bring to the beach or have at a bbq though there are much better options (try left hands haystack if you want to stay in style)

dturchin, Jul 17, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +22.4%

mkachur, Aug 15, 2014

Danrmoore444, Jun 18, 2014
4.33/5  rDev +26.2%

I really enjoyed this beer. It's probably my favorite wheat beer not from a bar tap. I bought it at the same time as some Samuel Adams Summer Ale, and while that was good, this was just slightly better. It had a little more of a citrusy taste, which I enjoyed.

TheSMUSpaz, Jun 30, 2007