Mojo Risin' Double IPA - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

to view more.
Ratings: 816 | Reviews: 401
Reviews by mikereaser:
4.44/5  rDev +19%

A Mojo IPA taken to the next level according to the bottle amped up with double the malt twice the amount of Amarillo's oh yeah baby more Amarillo's.Poured into an impy pint glass a dull lighter golden with a pillowy white head that left a few broken rings of lace behind as it settled slowly.Well damn well perfect in the nose for me juicy citrus fruit really bursts out with big piney hoppy goodness with a detectable sweeitsh caramel malt base but the blessed Amarillo hop takes center stage no doubt.Awesome big hop profile on the palate a refreshing citrusy element along with the intense resiny,piney almost "raw" character makes for a beautiful hop union,a lighter caramel biscuit base is detected and holds firm to the hop onslaught.Boulder out did themselves here just a great DIPA it kinda has me back in "beer" mode again.

2.76/5  rDev -26%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine May 2007.

The American Double IPA has been a trendy beer style for over a year now, earning its own style designation and continually coveted by hopheads. Let's see what this Boulder brewer has to say about it.

Pale copper color, with a faint haze that goes away after the beer warms up a bit. More-than-sufficient head retention as the lace clings to the glass most of the way down. Heavy on the grapefruit hop resin, with piney and herbal hop notes and a spike of fruity esters in the aroma. Big crispness in a moderate body. Solid kernel of malt sweetness is first to show up, but is quickly pushed down by a forceful bitterness. Hops leave a long burning sting, with suggestions of freshly cut grass, grapefruit rind and pine. A little metallic and husky. Malt drops out and leaves the mouthfeel a bit thin with an alcohol that kicks the palate hard with esters and a faint solvent flavor. Finishes bitter with a breath of alcohol.

Not half bad, but compared to the many Double IPAs out there, this one sits in the middle of the road. Any kind of balance is lost here, but it's still worth a try for any hopheads out there.

2.85/5  rDev -23.6%

Got this as an extra in a Trade, thanks Ky!

Pours an unfiltered translucent light amber, almost dark gold. Little head, though some rentention with solid lacing.

Pine, grapefruit, alochol, not much of a hop character. Doesnt stay, alcohol is masking most of the smell.

Harsh alcohol, some sticky pine, into what tastes a bit like metal hops.

Im a huge fan of big beers, so I enjoy the 10+ ABV for drinkability. However, I dont think this brew is very balanced. Usually the extreme hop character will join the ABV to balance each out. I dont find any sort of extreme hop, pale, etc to balance out the alcohol.

Also, the alcohol isnt very warm, its more biting. It almost tastes as if malt wasnt used, more like corn or something else. Now, I can taste the malt, but I dont think I taste it in the alcohol.

I have to be honest and say this brew tastes like I would expect a Coors DIPA to taste like. Maybe it was this bottle, I will have to try again.

3.72/5  rDev -0.3%

22 oz bottle. Pours a clear golden orange with a frothy white head that quickly dissipates to a thin film that laces the glass.

The aroma is huge on the piney hops with a little sweet caramel and melon in the background.

The flavor is sweet malts and melon with a salty and metallic grassy hop finish. It has good bitterness with a long lingering aftertaste, but the flavors aren't all that. The mouthfeel is is medium to thin and a little watery but smooth.

Overall a decent DIPA, and fairly impressive for Boulder. The flavor and mouthfeel are a little lacking though.

3.92/5  rDev +5.1%

Pours a bright golden amber color with a decent frothy head that sticks to the glass well. Smells of hard candy, sweet fruits, mangos, pineapple, citrusy, very floral...smells delicious. Taste is of citrus hops, bready malts, sweet and very hoppy but not very bitter...just a good touch on the finish of bitterness. Smooth. Tad of alcohol warmth. It's pretty dense and heavy, almost syrupy like a barleywine. Good carbonation, with hop oils coating the mouth. Very tasty brew but couldnt handle more than two at a time. Solid East Coast DIPA.

4.3/5  rDev +15.3%

22 oz bottle pours a clear golden peach body with a tall offwhite head. Frothy patch lacing is left on the glass. Aroma is hops! Grassy, earthy, spicy, and pine. Just a hint of caramel underneath. Full medium body with zesty carbonation and a pronounced hop zing on the tongue. Taste is dry and bitter. Little sweetness here. Amarillo hops are the star here. Pungently earthy, with notes of pine, grapefruit rind, and grassiness. Very nice to see a DIPA that foregoes sweetness in favor of the big hoppiness.

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

We dont seem to get bottles of this one in my neck of the woods, or at least I dont recall ever being able to pick up a few bottles. So I was happy to see it listed on Beermenus.com as being available for growler fills at Green Growler Grocery in Croton-on-Hudson, NY.

Pours lightly hazed dull, medium amber. The head is large and frothy, leaves well developed webs and spots of lace.

I get a resiny hop nose, with some floral flourishes.

Bold, hoppy and flavorful DIPA. The hops again are resiny, with some minty and floral characteristics. I get a big juicy, hoppy brew, with a body on the heavier side.

Well done, glad I traveled a few miles out of my way to get to enjoy a few glasses of this one.

4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

Many thanks to bjohnson for this unexpected hand-off.
Pale orange in color, crystal clear with a full finger of bright, white head...leaving very little lacing as it recedes.
Nice aromas filled with grapefruit, bubble gum, some alcohol and very slight dose of sweet malt.
Taste is quite good...that alcohol takes a back seat until the last few swigs. Very bitter with citrus hops and just a hint of malt to sweeten things up to help save the pallet from being crushed by the bitterness.
Mouthfeel is thinner than many DIPA's I've tried, but does not fall short in any other category. Super fresh and well received after much anticipation.
Easy to throw back a bomber, but you'd be quite mad to continue with another...a few pints of this one and you'd be stuck on the couch asking someone to help get you up. Hmmm...that could be fun.
Thanks Ben.

2.7/5  rDev -27.6%

Bought at Bauer's in Boston. Pours rather clear for a DIPA. No head whatsoever. Not much hops smell to it. I can't tell what hops are in it b/c the hops are faint. I don't like the taste at all. Mouthfeel is OK but could use more carbonation. Drinkability is hurt by the flavor. Not recommended. I am glad I only bought one.

Cheers.

3.95/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured oily copper-orange with a short white head. Good, thick lacing. Overripe orange and grapefruit in the nose, resiny, and caramel malt. Sticky mouthfeel. More hops in the taste; blood orange, mango, grapefruit. Some resin, but the citrus owns this one. The malt is a little too much and detracts by giving it a slight candied taste. Piney finish, which was kind of out of left field givne what preceded it. Went down smooth. The 10% was masked well. All in all, pretty good and exactly what I expected after having the Mojo.

4.45/5  rDev +19.3%

Poured into a flaired tulip glass in a 22oz brown bomber with a crimped on cap bought down by larrydp split up with a couple of the guys.

Hazy,golden color, Off white head very dense and creamy head,massive amounts of strings of very tiny bubbles streaming ot the top,leaving plenty of lacing.

Very clean,intense grapefruit aromas, pineapple aroma also with a buried sweet carnelly malt scent beneath the hop aromas.

Clean taste,lots of grapefruit tastes like the aroma would indicate. Sweet carmell tastes with some nuttieness coming through. Finishes clean with a very sharp citrus rind feel and a tinge of alcohol.

Amazingling smooth and creamy. Juicyness that makes you crave for more. Very drinkable for the style. Did a side by side tasting with the Unearthy on tap,did like the Unearthy a bit more had a bit more character than the Mojo. This beer is like Mojo's big brother very similar, just bigger. Very good beer definately worth a try.

4.45/5  rDev +19.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

wow this is a great fn beer!! i cant get these in california either so my buddy in florida hooks me up!! this brew weighs in at 10% abv and has possibly become one of my favorites probably due to the fact i cant get em! it pours off beautful dark burnt amber idk nice frothy head and lots of carb this brew tasted of hops hops and more hops and malt and more malt! feels like a party in your mouth and goes down smooth with a bit of tart finish!!

3.7/5  rDev -0.8%

poured from a 12oz bottle at about cellar temp into a pint glass. one of my more favorite breweries. pours a perfectly clear golden orange color with a generous amount of some off white head. some nice lacing on the glass, and some great head retention.

not as hoppy as i first thought, but a nice apparent aroma of hops non the less. mostly floral and grapefruit hops. some sweet malts and even a little yeasty fruitiness as well. interesting, different.

the lack of hoppiness definately comes through in the taste as well. still a great beer, but i think a little more hops should be there based on the style were talking about. in the taste, i get some maltiness, wierd fruitiness, and alcohol followed by some floral/grapefruit like hops and finishes off with a sweet arming effect. balanced.

heavy body, good amount of carbonation. warms the throat. great beer for what it is, but not too good for a DIPA. prolly wont buy this beer again, but im crazy about all the other brews this place has to offer.

3.7/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was the first beer I drank from my new snifter!

Pours a very clear, coppery-amber with a decent-sized caramel head. The latter falls pretty quickly and leaves only thin wisps to cap the brew. Minimal lacing shows up later.

Smells like citrus, pine, candied pineapple, roses, caramel and vodka. The scent of booze rises as the beer warms until it eventually overtakes the other scents to become the most prominent.

Bitterness borders hints of pine, caramel, candied pineapple, citrus. I also have notes from another tasting of this beer (when I was already a bit drunk) where I observe that I could detect hints of tomato juice. I laughed out loud when I read that just now... take that for what it's worth. As the nose indicates, it becomes increasingly more vodka-flavored as it warms, but that's not a deal breaker. There are some great caramel flavors in there. The finish is bitter.

The body is medium-light, creamy and smooth. Not enough carbonation for my taste.

This is a decent brew that I would never turn down, but it can't compete with some of the top DIPAs.

3.7/5  rDev -0.8%

There is a very pronouced grapefruit hop aroma and flavor from this beer as well as the presence of my favorite hop: Amarillo. That said, this beer is a not the best example of the style. It feels like it's under-hopped for a double IPA, it's too sweet, and not bitter enough. There is definitely some Cascade and Amarillo aroma, but there is not the complexity of hops flavors that is characteristic of good DIPA; moreover, the bitterness should be almost overwhelming, 80+ IBU, which I feel this beer is not.

Although sweet, the alcohol is well-hidden, for 10.5% and is barely perceptible in the nose and palate. The malt is present and deep, but too much for a beer in which the hops should be the showcase.

3.72/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a hazy gold with a white head. Nice lacing off a weak pour.

Aromas of citrus hops...and more hops. Slight astringent aroma.

You like hops? this is it...big grapefruit, grass and white bread malts. Nice alcohol warmth.

Med mouthfeel, sticky and dry. Abv% balanced well.

A nice hop bomb

3.31/5  rDev -11.3%

Pours a good thick dipa. Yellow and orange colors, big head retention. Aroma nothing to write home about.

Taste, way sweeter than I expected. More like a barleywine than a dipa. Like their single IPA much better. Very bitter. But tastes like no dry hopping occurred, lacks the citrus hop quality so popular for a reason in many dipas.

Mouthfeel, just a bunch of bitterness, not anything special. Drinkability not so much, pricey and not what I want in a dipa too often.

4.73/5  rDev +26.8%

I really really like Mojo, so I really really really really like Mojo Risin' it's just the right combo of pure hoppiness for me great liquid hop juice that I highly recommend. Appears a copper amber with a alrge off white biege head leaves sporadic chunky lacing with each sip, and the head forms a biscuit layer that rises above the rim of my pint...I just want to take a bite. Aroma is heavy with Amarillo hops with loads of fresh cut grass and citrus peels gotta love the grapefruit edge some sugary sweetness is evident but the hops are the stars in this one, I couldn't quit smelling it Amarillo are my favorite hop variety and that maybe the reason for my infatuation. Flavor a barrage of hoppiness with mild pine cone, grapefruit peels flood the senses, very grassy finish all mixed with some creamy lucious malts mild breadiness light barely noticeable sweetenss just enough to balance and some nicely hidden alcohol here has well, pure hop juice I'm in love. Mouthfeel is big and frothy with a creamy textured full body that resinously clings to my palate hops and proteins galore, yet it's overall like a smoothie. Drinkability is incredible no 10 percent abv is even noticable I'm a fan, makes me want to try more Boulder brews I've had a few but I've kinda overlooked them as a whole this may force me to take a second look plus they claim to be CO's first micro (1979) good stuff.

3.77/5  rDev +1.1%

Had a glass of mojo risin' on tap at stub and herbs the other night. I've seen this beer at the store so many times but I've never bought it. I guess I hadn't heard much about it, or maybe the label turned me off.

A- Not really what I expected for a double IPA, it is very light in color. The color is golden with a shine. Not much cloudiness to this brew. The head was rather small and left the glass quick.

S- The smell was decent, more pine hops than citrus. But the bitter grapefruit scent was there. Also I noticed a hint of bread dough on the nose. And more malty ness than a typical Imp IPA.

T- I found the taste to be lacking, not awful though. But it was light bodied hops with a faint citrus flavor. I found no complex spices or any intresting flavors. Just kind of a boring standard IPA flavor, not an exciting double IPA taste. But the hop flavors do hide the alcohol nicely.

M- The mouth was fair, it was a bit thicker than the appearance would suggest. But washed away smoothly and left the mouth dry.

D- For being 10% ABV this beer is very drinkable, I drank mine to fast actually. But because of the lacking flavors I past on getting a second one.

Overall a good beer but not my first choice for IPA's.

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

Bought a 4-pack of 12 ozers at Frugal MacDoogal's in Nashville, TN.

A - Had a very slightl hazy gold color.

S - Had a heavy caramel smell, with the lingering aroma of hops.

T - One of the best double pale/IPAs I've ever had. Very hoppy, but with an adequate balance of maltiness.

M - Leaves a lingering after-effect of the hops. Pleasant though.

D - I really enjoyed this beer. Would be good with a meal, or alone. Very pleasing.

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

Here's the real history. True Anchor Steam is an original early American small brewery beer. However, Pennsylvania has served Yuengling is a small crafty brewery that's been around a helluva lot longer than Anchor and serves a helluva lot more interesting unique lager than Anchors lemony piss.

So where does Boulder Beer come in. Well Boulder Beer predates Sam Adams Beer. Although Boulder never made the big splash that Sam did. Boulder was an early new success and the beginning of a long line of new American Brewers who took on the giant USA crappy beer makers. I drank a Boulder beer back in 82 in downtown Boulder. Sam Adams never sold a beer until 1984! I surmise that this was genesis of the new American beer movement .

What about Mojo. Nice IPA. Reminded greatly of Duvel's Triple Hop in aroma and taste. I am not an IPA type of guy, but this was good to me. Thumbs up. A strong 3. Plenty of good flavor.

Drink to the sounds of some nice music that has come from the Boulder area. One in particular was a drummer who taught for a few summers at the Naropa Institute named Jerry Grannelli. I enjoyed was a Jerry's duet cd called Iron Sky.

3.41/5  rDev -8.6%

12oz. brown bottle, purchased at Party Town, poured into an imperial pint. No dating.

A: Pours a light copper amber with good visibility. 1 1/2 finger white head forms and holds nicely(hops!). Nice sticky lacing throughout.

S: The usual burst of citrus, pine, resin, pepper. Alcohol is also assertive and raw/stinging. Malts are light, very dense and chewy.

T/M: Big citrus burst with the pine and pepper undertones. Not extremely complex but hits the bitterness pretty decent. Alcohol is still pretty present in the taste. Doesn't hurt it too much but I don't like it this apparent in my DIPAs. Malts are also a bit too sweet but not overboard and doesn't become cloying after 1 bottle. The alcohol stays present throughout but blends better once the malts have shown up. Decently dry finish with long lasting bitterness.

D: The alcohol and overly sweet malts complaint hurt this score some. Overall it's decent, but Boulder will have to do better in my beloved IPA/DIPA category in order for me to reach for one of their products on a regular basis.

3.82/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a tulip. Enjoy by Jul 9 2013 on the neck.

A: Pours a clear light amber with a full white head. Not very much visible carbonation. The head leaves some nice lacing.

S: Citrus hop aroma is the first thing I notice. Pleasant with a touch of earthiness and grapefruit. A bit of malt sweetness in there as well.

T: This one is bold, a slap in the face of hop bitterness and a strong malt backbone. Hops have great flavor though and blend seamlessly into the malt. Nice fruity aspect going on with the hops. The big ABV is hidden well in all the flavor.

M: Full bodied brew with low carbonation. A bit sticky on the backend from the resinous hops but that gives it a bit of a nectary feel. Very dry.

Overall is certainly a bold and serious double IPA. Worth a try for any hophead. Need to give the Mojo a shot now.

3.35/5  rDev -10.2%

1.6 pint bottle poured into a snifter after a good day of yard work and cleaning (!)...single-finger head; effervescent rush of bubble in a soft orange glow. Sharp hop aroma--grapefruit is claimed by the label, although I can olny detect a citrussy something...intriguing. Extremely sour/bitter antagonism on tongue and mouth (channeling Jim?). I’d call this intrusive, but at 10% I detect no alcohol...(an hour passes)... winding down, and the alcohol still deceptive in taste. A nice nightcap.

3.67/5  rDev -1.6%

12 oz. bottle into a Brooklyn tulip.

Appearance: On the lighter side of copper, with not a lot of bubbles floating to the top in the body. Interestingly spattered mini-blobs of lacing around the bulbous part of the glass.

Smell: Strong citrus aromas and fruit esters to begin with. Like orange gummy candy dipped in sugar. A lot of sweetness all around, and sweeter grapefruit mixing with rind-like pungency potential. Definitely on the fruitier side of the style, but nice.

Taste: There's a bit too much sweetness here for me to be a huge fan of this, and it could use some of the heat toned down. It's one of the sweetest DIPAs I've had, which would be fine if the hop backbone was there, ripping into my tastebuds also. But mostly it's the malt flavor, a big rock candy presence, some honey, lots of sweet orange, but yes, I miss the hop presence. There's too much malt sweetness and not enough hops coming through here, and that's going to turn many people off. Again, it's interesting to get a brew like this where the hops aren't completely dominating, but the sweetness levels are way too high, and maybe this would've been better to at the 8% or 9% range rather than 10%.

Mouthfeel: Good medium to full feel, a bit nicely sticky and syrupy, though the carbonation's prickly and champagne-like to balance some things out.

Drinkability: This seems to be expensive stuff, so I'm glad I only got one bottle. I wouldn't be thrilled if I had three more to drink. And with it's malt strength, it's a good candidate for a snifter, and this could easily give at least two folks, if not three, a good tasting, rather than it being something like a bomber. Glad I tried it, but I wouldn't go back to it I don't think.

to view more.