2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Mojo Risin' Double IPA - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Mojo Risin' Double IPAMojo Risin' Double IPA

good

poor

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: UnionMade on 02-12-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mojo Risin' Double IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 724 | Reviews: 392 | Show All Ratings:
jaisiaram1

4.99/5  rDev +33.4%

Amazing taste and hops, grapefruit taste makes you wanna keep drinking it,after you ship it it leaves a real good grapefruit taste in your mouth that you cant go wrong with.
its just one of the tasty Double IPA,
Smells real good and it has that powerful kick to it that you'd feel soon as you get done drinking it.
Truly great tasty fruity powerful hoppy body that would make your world and party rocks
Cheers...

09-11-2013 01:30:15 | More by jaisiaram1
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.97/5  rDev +32.9%

Well here we go. I have been anxiously awaiting trying this for quite some time. Being the enormous fan of Double IPA's that I am, and a huge fan of Mojo IPA I figured something was gonna go right here, boy did it ever.

Poured a crystal clear orange amber with a huge pillowy frothy head. This faded in a few minutes and left behind a swirly film just barely covering the top of the glass. There was really no lace on the glass, and this is the only reason to know the score on appearence to a 4. The smell was off the hook! Deep citrus, grapefruit, and pinapple mostly dominated this one. Hint at maybe some apple? Warmed to reveal hints of pine nuggets which smelled like gold! Beuatiful full wonderful IPA smell, this is how I would want it to smell if I could make my own, wonderful! The taste, ahh where to begin with the taste. Hop Heaven! This was an easy 5 rating for me as it was exactly the way I wanted it to taste. Fnatastically dominated by the citrus hops. Pineapple, grapefruit, tangerine, and very very sweet. Not one, even remote hint at alcohol, which for 10%abv, is no easy feat. Big dry hopped finish rounded this out perfectly. I really could not have asked for this to taste any better. Extremely smooth, crisp, clean. Carbonation was perfect, no hint at oily, slick, or watered down taste. Such a sweet, sweet taste. Just gold. Best Double IPA I have ever had, hands down. I will search far and wide for as much as I can!

02-23-2007 23:51:40 | More by mikesgroove
IPALOVER

Colorado

4.95/5  rDev +32.4%

I am a hop head and big fan of Mojo IPA (it's my "session" beer during spring, summer, and fall). I was excited to see Mojo Risin', knowing I would probably just love it. I was not disappointed.

Hop heaven is right! Wonderful, citrusy hop fragrance and taste-- the alcohol in this one is SO well hidden. Not a ton of malt flavor, which is good-- I don't like syrupy sweet Double or Imperial IPAs.

The appearance was a little strange-- most likely the heavier ABV lead to quick dissipation of the foamy head (it poured well, but didn't leave a lace at all). I tried to overlook this, since it tasted so wonderfully!

Great Double IPA-- I will definitely buy a few more bombers. I could easily drink two of these in an evening-- yum.

03-03-2007 05:06:03 | More by IPALOVER
cbak999

4.93/5  rDev +31.8%

WOW is the first thing that comes to mind. Picked up a 22oz'er at my local liquor store. I had heard good things about this new release. I absoutely love Mojo, so I was expecting a lot....and Mojo Risin delivered!!! Pours a yellow-amber with 1 fingers head. The beer is packed with citrus hop flavor and very easily hides the 10.5% ABV. This is Mojo on steroids, and I highly recommend this. Boulder Beer nailed it!! This could be the best beer I've had.

03-04-2007 03:08:23 | More by cbak999
brewdlyhooked13

4.85/5  rDev +29.7%

Appearance - a bit hazy of a peach/orange color. Minimal head, pretty good hold though. Thin sticky lacing.

Aroma - an orangey, sweet smell, sugar cookies too. Turns a little piny as it settles.

Taste - grainy sweetness has some chewiness to it. Lots of orange flavor, a hint of metal early but that disappears before long. The hops move in smoothly, intense citrus with minimal bitterness. Not that it isn't bitter, but it's so beautifully in step with the citrus. The swallow is tilted toward the bitter side but has good citrus balance too. A little alcohol edge creeps in toward the finish. The end is a tasty hop flavor, still well-balanced, and some slight abv warmth. Mmmm.

Mouthfeel - glides over the palate with the hop oils and held back carbonation. Solid body helps put this beer above most.

Drinkability - one of the better DIPA's I've had, if I didn't have the ample stock downstairs I'd hunt some more of these down. I still may... Dedicated to Favre & Company and the 'Mojo' they displayed in 2007. Great stuff, the team, the game, and the brew.

05-07-2008 20:45:05 | More by brewdlyhooked13
tprokop7

4.83/5  rDev +29.1%

After leaving a mediocre review for a cask serving of risin', I think it's only fair that I review the bottle too. I really love this beer, and the ones I've had from the bottle are the reason for that.

A - Golden-amber and very clear. Head is cream colored, thick, light, and doesn't dissipate too quickly.

S - Hops and citrus. Just a slight sweetness, but the hops are the most powerful.

T - Wonderful. Smooth and bitter, with a definite citrus (lemon and grapefruit, mostly) finish.

M - Smooth, with moderate carbonation, this feels great going down.

D - One of my favorites, I could drink these for hours.

02-11-2008 02:51:05 | More by tprokop7
jrhartkeii

4.83/5  rDev +29.1%

Dutch's 4/6/2011

A: Bartender slow poured into a standard pint glass. Almost an orange hue, poured cloudy, settled with a very nice head. The head clung to the sides as I drank.

S/T: Taste the hops immediately, and really enjoyed how the citrus flavor lingered.

M: Didn't feel heavy like I expected. Although it's high in alcohol, it didn't affect the beer negatively.

O: Have ordered this a few times on tap. I really enjoyed it, so I took some time last night to review. I enjoy double IPA's and this one is a really good. Would be interested in seeing how my experience would have differed if I home poured from a bottle.

Serving type: nitro-tap

04-07-2011 14:34:30 | More by jrhartkeii
hustlesworth

4.8/5  rDev +28.3%

A- hazy murky burnt amber with an eerie orangeness to it when held up to the light. there's some particles floating in there as well. the foam is a creamy dense ivory biscuit and it looks great sittin atop this nasty brew. some of most beastly head retention i've seen in a double ipa of this alcohol content. it doesn't budge as thick arms of lace reach out and adhere to the glass, keeping it in suspension.

S- marshmallowy toffee caramely goodness. nose is ridiculously malty with dense dark squishy fermenting fruits all up in it. date, fig, raisin. even a little cinnamon. some thick vanilla'd grapefruit hides in there somewhere but mostly the hop aroma is cooked pineapple all grilled n sweet n glazed with dark rum n sugar with a fleeting herbal bite.

T- on first sip, hop flavor and bitterness blitz the entire palate. the smell of this beer gives almost no indication of how hoppy this beer is. it's herbal and pine sap and pineapple and brown sugar and a puckering grapefruit bitterness. some floral also pineappleish vodka type bitterness sets itself apart from the hops on the back of the tongue as caramel marshmallow honey brown sugar vanilla sweetness lingers up front with ever elusive hints of cinnamon. or maybe like a jerk chicken rub. finishes sharp and bittersweet as alcohol grain and hop flavors converge goin down the drain into the sewer of my increasingly warming belly.

MF- hefty brew, thick and luscious, powdery and grainy feeling leaving my lips a bit sticky and my cheeks with a sort of dove soap softly dry dessert feeling. carbonation is extremely tight and gently pushes up through the turbidly viscous brew to grace my tongue with a light sandy wash like sitting where waves roll up onto the beach. there's so much malt power and sweetness behind the bitter that alpha acid astringency and malt sugars constantly fight the battle for reign over the cheeks with no clear winner.

D- this could easily be a barleywine in my book. huge body and way more malt than is even necessary to fit the DIPA style. hops could be more painful, and an extreme hop head may call this a pussy in the bitterness league, but i enjoy the play and balance of bitter and sweet and the fact that the beer isn't a maniacal hop rocket and that for once the malt is on steriods and not vice versa. in other words, the great balance of flavor and aroma, and the plush body are what make this 10% monster drink likes it's 6.5. mojo was undoubtedly my first enjoyable ipa, and the risin has risen a few standards a little higher for me tonight.

05-19-2010 06:50:58 | More by hustlesworth
WVbeergeek

4.75/5  rDev +27%

I really really like Mojo, so I really really really really like Mojo Risin' it's just the right combo of pure hoppiness for me great liquid hop juice that I highly recommend. Appears a copper amber with a alrge off white biege head leaves sporadic chunky lacing with each sip, and the head forms a biscuit layer that rises above the rim of my pint...I just want to take a bite. Aroma is heavy with Amarillo hops with loads of fresh cut grass and citrus peels gotta love the grapefruit edge some sugary sweetness is evident but the hops are the stars in this one, I couldn't quit smelling it Amarillo are my favorite hop variety and that maybe the reason for my infatuation. Flavor a barrage of hoppiness with mild pine cone, grapefruit peels flood the senses, very grassy finish all mixed with some creamy lucious malts mild breadiness light barely noticeable sweetenss just enough to balance and some nicely hidden alcohol here has well, pure hop juice I'm in love. Mouthfeel is big and frothy with a creamy textured full body that resinously clings to my palate hops and proteins galore, yet it's overall like a smoothie. Drinkability is incredible no 10 percent abv is even noticable I'm a fan, makes me want to try more Boulder brews I've had a few but I've kinda overlooked them as a whole this may force me to take a second look plus they claim to be CO's first micro (1979) good stuff.

02-27-2007 00:48:16 | More by WVbeergeek
SecondSandwich

4.72/5  rDev +26.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I am frankly very surprised at some of the low ratings this beer has received here. I am guessing those raters have not been much into double IPAs. I, on the other hand, am what one would call a "hop head", so this beer is right up my alley; it is certainly in my top 5 favorites of all time (likely top 3).

I have only had this beer in the bottle, but have poured it into a pint glass (no snifter available, unfortunately). Its appearance has been well described on here already. It has a somewhat hazy copper color; it looks beautiful when held up to the light. The smell is an engrossing hoppy, citrusy (especially grapefruit) aroma--very enticing--the the taste is delectable. It has a strong, citrus and hoppy front-end flavor that will, undoubtedly, satisfy your hop cravings. The best part about this beer is that the journey doesn't end here... The bitterness beautifully transitions into a bass-y malt finish. I recommend breathing a lot of air in with this one; get as much of the flavor up into the nose as possible. I tend to sip this one slowly, savoring every sip, smiling in delight every time I witness that beautiful transition from the citrusy, aromatic, hoppy bitterness into the perfect malt balance. It feels great in the mouth (and your taste buds will beg you to keep it there as long as possible).
In terms of drinkability, I can tell you that you won't be chugging this guy down (it is high gravity and very hoppy), but you will be sipping away with your head in the clouds, never wanting the ride to end.

Enjoy

12-13-2010 17:19:48 | More by SecondSandwich
cford1

4.65/5  rDev +24.3%

I first had this beer on my 21st birthday. It was the first IPA I had ever had, and opened me up to the world of good beer.

The appearance is a blend of yellow, orange, and red and not perfectly clear. Poured with a slight head of roughly one inch that last nearly throughout the whole time I am drinking.

The smell is strong. Sort of a mix of Amarillo and Centennial. It first overwhelmed me, but I readily grew to appreciate it.

Even after having several IPAs and IIPAs since this beer, Mojo Risin' is still my favorite. I prefer it to DFH 60, 90, and 120. To me the blend is perfect; a mix of orange, grapefruit and slight lemony flavors.

Mojo Risin' will certainly always have a place on my top beers list. If you see it, pick some up.

03-17-2009 22:11:15 | More by cford1
COBeerBuff

Kansas

4.63/5  rDev +23.8%

Purchased in a 4-pack on Friday at Mass Bev in Lawrence.

Appearance: Pours a deep golden, orange color. A nice sticky finger of head that stays around for a while. Great lacing down the side of theSome bubbles slowing 'risin' to the surface. Very pretty beer.

Smell: Citrus, piney hops. Grapefruit. Pineapple. Juniper. Orange. Sweet. Not too overbearing. Smells more malty than I would have thought for a DIPA.

Taste: You can taste the Amarillo hops. Yum! The malt rounds it off nicely though. If I didn't know this had a 10% ABV, I'd probably drink the entire four-pack. The pine notes are very prevalent. The citrus fades quickly, and the malts provide the right kick at the end to make it very sweet and inviting.

Mouthfeel: This is a surprisingly light DIPA. The high alcohol content doesn't come through at all.

Drinkability: I like this one a lot! This one is much better than the Mojo IPA. The added hops and malts make it a much more rounded beer. As pretty as it is and is good as it tastes, it doesn't take a lot to convince me to have another one. (High ABV should serve as an apt warning)

03-29-2009 23:50:25 | More by COBeerBuff
erosier

Connecticut

4.6/5  rDev +23%

Pours a golden orange color with a medium off-white head and nice lacing down the glass. It smells of sweet malts and fruity, citirsy hops. The taste is excellent - great sweet malt backbone layered with a great hop bitterness of the great American IPAs. The citrisy hops finish off the taste for a great flavor. The mouthfeel is excellent as well - nice crisp feel with a dry hoppy finish. The drinkability is good for a beer of this magnitude. Excellent IPA and well worth it if you can find it.

02-19-2008 02:20:06 | More by erosier
kirok1999

4.58/5  rDev +22.5%

I was really curious and thought this was just a bomber of regular Mojo. Wow, was I wrong. Pours a clear honey golden with a huge clingy white head that lasts forever and clings like glue.
Smells incredible, grapefruit, grass, pine, sweet malts. Taste is the same but amplified. Smooth and creamy with a massive mouthfeel that makes it almost edible. Only bought one but I'll be buying more soon. I could drink this all night, and if I had more I would.

03-07-2007 01:28:08 | More by kirok1999
chuckd123

Connecticut

4.58/5  rDev +22.5%

Pours a very nice coppery gold color, about 3/4" of a good head. Not a thick head, and lacing didn't stick to the glass much. Smell is typically hoppy & grapefruity, nothing too complex but just about what you'd expect. Taste is very good, straightforward and very drinkable. Given abv of >10%, drinkability is excellent. You notice the warming after a few seconds, but it's not overly harsh and I'd go so far as to call it deceptive - I could drink 4 of these very easily. Overall, very good -- but being the hophead that I am, I's like even more flavor and hops. A solid B+.

07-11-2008 00:14:22 | More by chuckd123
UnionMade

Colorado

4.55/5  rDev +21.7%

Served in a tulip glass at Eli Cannon's on the Boulder Beer tasting night.
Clear and very light in color, a little darker than APA amber with a thin 1/4 inch of white head. Great lacing, sheeting down the glass. God head retention. The aroma is amazingly similar to fresh squeezed orange juice, the kind with tons of pulp you make yourself with a press. Very bright and citrusy, with some sugary sweetness and plenty of orange fruitiness. Toasty malt, with tons of hop aroma, moslty in the way of sunny citrus and fruity, floral quality. The flavor is rich, but incredibly drinkable, thanks to the insanely orange-like hop flavor. Not a ton of bitterness, the sweet malt doing its job keeping things together. The hops come through more as mounds of hop flavor than actual raw bitterness. Very rounded, with tons of character. Fairly full bodied, with softer carbonation. The only beer I've had that comes anywhere near to this flavor is the Breckenridge small batch IIPA. Very, very citrus driven, but this feels a bit sunnier and clean. Not even a hint of alcohol. This seriously drinks like a 7%er. If you enjoy orange juice, this is definitely for you. It's almost eerie how much it tastes like it.
I can't say I've ever had an IPA (or double) quite this sunny and bright feeling. It almost feels like you're drinking orange juice, and goes down just as easy. Amazing stuff.

02-12-2007 10:44:56 | More by UnionMade
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

4.53/5  rDev +21.1%

On-tap at Track 84 in Warwick, RI, served in a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a very light gold color, with a large white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is full of citrus and hops and is very well-blended.

T: The taste is very nicely balanced with strong flavors of hops and citrus. There’s no hint of the 10.50% ABV. The malt character is this for the style. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Very crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Very tasty, goes down way too easily for a beer with an ABV that high, not too filling, good representation of style, it could be very dangerous but this is a excellent beer to stick with for an entire evening.

04-28-2007 16:08:22 | More by TheManiacalOne
farrago

4.53/5  rDev +21.1%

Rich head, clean white color with a good mixture of bubble sizes, lacing clings well up the glass sides. Very pretty nose, comprised mainly of sweet pink grapefruit and lime citrus, fresh pine sap, the malt present most for smoothing down the texture not for any specific scents, it's kind of a one trick pony but possesses amazing lift and the clarity of the citrus is impeccable. Medium-bodied, smooth without being fluid to the point of speeding by too fast. Unexpectedly, huge amount of pink grapefruit, lime, tangelo citrus. In the space not taken by this you can discern violets, pine, Earl Grey tea, honey and scone flavors. The carbonation is finely tuned to step forward only to keep the pot stirred and not burning on the bottom. A dollop of baker's chocolate helps it cling to your mouth pores even more. Apricot, pineapple, nectarine fruit rounds out the whole. Makes you feel dirty for how much you enjoy it.

02-08-2009 04:57:00 | More by farrago
abrand

4.53/5  rDev +21.1%

12 ounce beer poured into my SN tumbler. Bottle cost 3.25 here in St. Louis.

A- Pours a hazy golden orange with an aggressive pour leaving a few finger head. Lots of thick lacing lines the glass.

S- Smells of hoppy greatfruit. Hints of earthy floral are also present.

T- The frothy head never settled so I did get a "head" mustache with the first few sips. The alcohol in this DIPA is well hidden by the strong hop presents. A sweet, greatfruit finishes and lingers. Quite a refreshing summer drink.

M- Full bodied

D- A six pack would leave me quite intoxicated but definitely a great beer to start a good night of drinking off with. Will age the few others I have to see if the hoppiness milds out a bit. Overall a great beer from a new brewery for me.

05-19-2009 02:44:21 | More by abrand
brentk56

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

Appearance: Pours a clear honey color with a buoyant head that retains and laces well

Smell: Pithy and piney, with floral pineapple tones

Taste: Starts out with a pithy pineapple flavor, although there is clearly a balancing malt aspect on the front end; after the swallow, the fruity citrus and pineapple flavors dominate; some residual sweetness and alcohol on the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation; some warmth on the finish

Drinkability: I'm drinking a super fresh bottle that has totally turned my opinion around on this beer; fantastic when fresh

01-13-2008 19:38:10 | More by brentk56
dsa7783

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

1 Pint, 6 fl oz bottle purchased from Buy Rite on Oak Tree in South Plainfield...
Heard a lot of good things about this one, so had high hopes for this sample...
Pours a deep, dark, bronze, amber-colored hue with an immense frothy and foamy head that lingered on for a bit before slowly receding and leaving a fine amount of lacing...
Smell was literally bursting with fresh hops, pines, and grapefruit - teriffic, strong aroma that is a great representation of what the style should smell like...
Taste was equally wonderful and dominated by fresh flavors of strong, powerful hops, grapefruit, citrus, lemon, fresh florals, lime, vanilla, caramel, and bitter-sweet honey... Very sweet flavor bordered by a touch of bitterness - this beer is extremely well-balanced and one of the best American Imperial IPAs I have ever sampled... This is perhaps the ultimate depiction of a superb IPA and an amazing depiction of the style...
Great, creamy, thick, rich mouthfeel exploding with fresh hop flavors...
Equally great mouthfeel, where the hefty ABV is not noticeable at all but will slowly creep on you...
Excellent stuff...
Definitely recommended...

03-04-2008 00:40:06 | More by dsa7783
ericj551

Alberta (Canada)

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

Mojo Rising pours a hazy yellow gold with a beautiful creamy thick head that lingers leaving a thick coat of white foam on down the glass. The aroma is citrusy PNW hops, orange, some grapefruit and a little pine. Some malt sweetness sneaks through. The flavor is wonderfully balanced for DIPA, with plenty of light malty sweetness backing up the bitterness, but allowing the herbal citrusy hops to shine through. The alcohol is there but well hidden, and the beer is very easy to drink.

09-07-2008 04:34:48 | More by ericj551
Lauthaha

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a beer taster.

Appearance: Nice solid gold color with some slightly-stronger-than-faint ruby-esque hues. Head is nice and fluffy, and leaves thick lacing as it recedes; good retention where applicable. Lots of tiny bubbles visible within the glass.

Smell: There's a really nice toffee-malt type base over top of which bitter and floral hops dance belligerently. Just a touch of sour citrus flavor. In two words: sweet earthiness.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Malt lays a thick foundation on the tongue, and the carbonation plays right into its hand. Beer lava flow comes to mind. The sweetness is evenly matched by a burning hop bitterness which detracts from the obviousness of the alcohol. As the carbonation mellows out, the beer gets just a touch thinner and rinses clean. Aftertaste is faint hops and liquor-like alcohol fumes. Although, for 10+%, this guy really goes down smoothly.

Overall: I am a definite hophead, and this brew was made for men like me. Chewable, yet bitey; bitter, yet brilliant; sweet, yet sassy. Pretty durn good beer here.

05-01-2011 23:00:24 | More by Lauthaha
mattpetti

4.47/5  rDev +19.5%

This is one exceptional brew from boulder. Pours a very light shade of golden, with a huge, creamy, stricky, white head. Smell is wonderfuly complex with floral and fruity hop notes as well as a deep malty backing. This beer is creamy smooth with the 10.5% abv not being noticed until it is even at room temperature. Balanced hops and sweet malt are the foundation of this amaxing brew. Slighty sweet fruit (mango, pear, slight granny smith, and citrus) along with a nice piney bittering hop presence are in the taste. This is a medium bodied brew for the style and yet it packs a punch filling up your mouth but never becomming cloying. This is just and awesome brew and by far my favorite of the boulders i have tried. Just be careful because this beer is so rediculously smooth. Drink well and prosper.

02-13-2007 06:03:33 | More by mattpetti
pmcadamis

4.47/5  rDev +19.5%

A - Hazy and dull bronze-orange brew with a flimsy dish-soap water head. Swirling brings up a thin cap that goes away pretty quickly, leaving some wet spotty lace on the glass.

S - I could smell the orange-y hop aromas when I was pouring it into the glass, and now that I'm sticking my nose into it, the grapefruit and mandarin orange notes are there in full force. This has a nice array of citrus fruit flavors...mandarin orange, halved grapefruit with sugar piled on it (the way my mom used to eat grapefruit), mango, guava, and a little kiwi. This doesn't scour your olfactory nerves with scathing hop insanity like other DIPAs do, and that's a bit disappointing. It also lacks the big biscuity malt backbone that some others have. This smells good, and I like the tropical fruit-salad aroma.

T - The hops are much more aggressive than the nose suggests. Big time grapefruit and mandarin orange. Sweet and sugary, but like the nose, it doesn't have quite the malt backbone to really support the super-hoppy citrus fruit flavors. It is damn good though, like tropical fruit salad with sugar. The alcohol is transparent, and that's saying something for such a big beer!

M - Full bodied, oily, and extremely dry on the finish. The carbonation is almost non-existent, the body is oily, sandy and gritty, and the finish is very dry, astringent, and full of bitter hop flavors with a touch of alcohol warmth. I like it!

D - A great hop-lovers brew with unique fruity aromas and flavors. Not he best DIPA out there, but it sure ain't bad. This is one of my favorite styles of beer, and I would have this again for sure.

07-30-2007 17:35:42 | More by pmcadamis