Mojo Risin' Double IPA - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

good

poor

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: UnionMade on 02-12-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mojo Risin' Double IPA Alström Bros
1.25/5  rDev -66.5%

shuggy, Nov 21, 2011

amart80, Jul 14, 2012

rah1734bones, Apr 24, 2012
2.1/5  rDev -43.7%

A: Pours a a slightly hazy, deep gold with a 1/2-finger head with no retention. Mediocre lacing

S: Apple, hoppy aroma with some sweet malts. I'm also getting some cinnamon??

T: Hmmm. Leads with a blast of unbraced sweetness, followed by noticeable alcohol, and bittersweet apple juice aftertaste. Yikes for a double IPA....

M: Medium body for an IPA. Could use more carbonation

O: Really missed the mark for me. It was an IPA so I was looking for some nice hoppiness, but got fermented apple juice instead. I double checked and the bottle was fresh. Another disappointing brew from Boulder...

PorterForMe, Jun 09, 2011
2.1/5  rDev -43.7%

Picked up a 4 pack from Liquor Depot in Rock Springs, WY. Around $10.

A: Hazy gold color, tan head about half an inch or so thick, with excellent lacing, pretty fair head retention. Quite cloudy.

S: Booze, big time (never a good start for DIPA), sort of a weird spicy hop characteristic mixed with a citrus characteristic that doesn't quite fit, almost rotten grapefruit, I hope this isn't incredibly old (no freshness date), caramel malts start to shine as it warms. Not that impressed right now.

T: Caramel malt, and odd bitterness, almost tastes like rot, steamed vegetables?, I don't know what is wrong with this beer, but wow. Almost no other flavors are present.

M: Thick, and hot with booze, fair amount of carbonation.

D: This could be a drainpour. There is nothing going on in this beer that says DIPA, it tastes like rotten vegetables. I really hope that I can try this beer fresh, because I have no idea how old this is. Not good. Sad showing from one of my more regular breweries.

pokesbeerdude, Apr 10, 2009
2.15/5  rDev -42.4%

I found this beer to be very disappointing. Full disclosure: I tried this about an hour after having sampled Sierra Nevada's HOPTIMUM, which was superb.

I can't quite make out the aroma. It is certainly strong enough, but not especially appealing. There is a slight, off-putting, "rotten fruit" quality to it.

The taste fares about the same. It's not horrible, but each gulp makes me cringe slightly. I guess I'm getting some hops, but I can't say that the taste sensation is pleasurable.

One positive is that the high ABV really doesn't exert itself very much.

I don't know anything about the brewery's other offerings, but this is one I would not willingly imbibe again.

If I had tried this BEFORE trying the HOPTIMUM, would my review have been more positive? Seriously, I really, really doubt it.

Shade1951, Sep 19, 2012
2.2/5  rDev -41%

Amber orange color. Thick, sticky head that hangs around and leaves thick lacing. Lots of sediment for some reason. Smells a lot like sweet pink grapefruit and ripe pineapple. Very sweet nose. Taste is pineapple and malty sweetness on the front. Still sweet in the middle, then bitter/citrus sour on the finish. Sweeter than I expected for a DIPA, yet taste follows the nose exactly. Tons of citrus and very sweet. Too sweet for my taste. Cloying aftertaste. I'm gonna give this a fairly low rating because it's too sweet for an IPA and it doesn't dry in the finish. The load of sediment is offputting also. Had to pour out the last bit because of the chunks... Eww.. Leaves a musty, moldy aftertaste.

jgurley, Jul 16, 2011
2.25/5  rDev -39.7%

Skabiski, Nov 16, 2013
2.25/5  rDev -39.7%

Travcofarms, Nov 19, 2013
2.35/5  rDev -37%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

A- This one has a lot of "floaties". I wonder how long ago it was bottled... Golden-amber color, a good amount of head. Semi-transparent.

S- My wife and I agree that this doesn't have a good beer smell. Not appetizing. Almost smells like cereal.

T- Not much going on. Actually kind of flat tasting. Not a bad aftertaste though.

M- Its ok.

D- IMO, too easy to drink for a DIPA.

33nickadams, Apr 25, 2010
2.48/5  rDev -33.5%

I haven't had this beer since it first came out, so I thought it was time to revisit. Poured from a bomber in to a Grand Marnier glass. Color is a clear orange, with a tidy, not too large looking white head. Smell gives off some honeydew, wildflowers and a big whiff of alcohol. From taste I get peaches, pears, some grapefruit, slight medicinal flavor, vodka, again very boozy. Body is medium, mild hop bitterness and again, lots of alcohol. Drinkability is a chore with this one. Sort of a shame considering how much of a fan I am of straight up Mojo. Oh well, either way awesome name. Cheers

jamie2dope, Mar 11, 2009

Treb0R, Dec 13, 2012

jpd026, May 14, 2013

discharmingly, Oct 07, 2013

jacewg, Feb 20, 2012

ObiWanKushnobi, Sep 13, 2012
2.53/5  rDev -32.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Hazy orange amber with a small amount of head (thats what she said) but a good amount of lacing.

Smell: pithy, orange peel, not too appealing

Taste: Oranges, with a smooth finish as it hold its alcohol quite well. Smooth but not perfectly balanced, with bitter hops.

Mouthfeel: slightly flat with a metallic aftertaste

Drinkability: For the money, it doesnt feel right or balanced enough. Nothing exciting about this beer or the vague aftertaste now left in my mouth.

Reviewed on: 4-16-2010--

Augustiner719, Apr 17, 2010
2.6/5  rDev -30.3%

12oz bottle poured into a goblet.

A: Light to medium orange with a decent head.

S: Grapefruit, some sweet malt, some tangy notes.

T: The citrus and honey flavors found in most good DIPAs are disappointingly absent. All I can pick out is generic boring bitterness and some alcohol.

M: Appropriately syrupy.

D: A pretty big letdown. Drain pour.

BarrelO, Aug 08, 2009
2.68/5  rDev -28.2%

Bought at Bauer's in Boston. Pours rather clear for a DIPA. No head whatsoever. Not much hops smell to it. I can't tell what hops are in it b/c the hops are faint. I don't like the taste at all. Mouthfeel is OK but could use more carbonation. Drinkability is hurt by the flavor. Not recommended. I am glad I only bought one.

Cheers.

SkinnyElvis, Feb 23, 2007
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This beer comes in a copper golden color.

The aroma has a huge earthy aroma with pine. It smells "old" if that means anything.

The taste follows and is almost like a barleywine. It's very bitter, but not really of citrus hops, but more of that deep earthy resin character. So deep that it's almost like bitter tea leaves.

I had this on cask, so possibly that's an issue. Without carbonation, this herbal bittering just overwhelms the palate. It's interesting for sure, but too acrid.

dar482, Jun 06, 2013
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

clear straw color with a huge almost white head that forces me to pour it in a few stages. the lacing is epic.

biscuits, grain, and tropical fruit makes for an odd and unappetizing aroma.

some grapefruit, some syrupy sweetness, and some tropical fruit juice make up the flavor, which is not to my tastes.

medium bodied with bubbly carbonation that makes me burp and a lingering tang.

as far as DIPAs go, Im not sure Id revisit this one. I've had it before and remember not overly enjoying it, but I saw the bottling date of a week and one half before I purchased it, so I pulled the trigger. Freshness was never the issue. Im just not a fan of the hop/malt profile of this one. light biscuity malts and unripened tropical fruits are not for me.

silentjay, Aug 17, 2011