Mojo Risin' Double IPA - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Mojo Risin' Double IPAMojo Risin' Double IPA

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: UnionMade on 02-12-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mojo Risin' Double IPA Alström Bros
2.12/5  rDev -43.9%

Picked up a 4 pack from Liquor Depot in Rock Springs, WY. Around $10.

A: Hazy gold color, tan head about half an inch or so thick, with excellent lacing, pretty fair head retention. Quite cloudy.

S: Booze, big time (never a good start for DIPA), sort of a weird spicy hop characteristic mixed with a citrus characteristic that doesn't quite fit, almost rotten grapefruit, I hope this isn't incredibly old (no freshness date), caramel malts start to shine as it warms. Not that impressed right now.

T: Caramel malt, and odd bitterness, almost tastes like rot, steamed vegetables?, I don't know what is wrong with this beer, but wow. Almost no other flavors are present.

M: Thick, and hot with booze, fair amount of carbonation.

D: This could be a drainpour. There is nothing going on in this beer that says DIPA, it tastes like rotten vegetables. I really hope that I can try this beer fresh, because I have no idea how old this is. Not good. Sad showing from one of my more regular breweries.

2.16/5  rDev -42.9%

I found this beer to be very disappointing. Full disclosure: I tried this about an hour after having sampled Sierra Nevada's HOPTIMUM, which was superb.

I can't quite make out the aroma. It is certainly strong enough, but not especially appealing. There is a slight, off-putting, "rotten fruit" quality to it.

The taste fares about the same. It's not horrible, but each gulp makes me cringe slightly. I guess I'm getting some hops, but I can't say that the taste sensation is pleasurable.

One positive is that the high ABV really doesn't exert itself very much.

I don't know anything about the brewery's other offerings, but this is one I would not willingly imbibe again.

If I had tried this BEFORE trying the HOPTIMUM, would my review have been more positive? Seriously, I really, really doubt it.

2.17/5  rDev -42.6%

A: Pours a a slightly hazy, deep gold with a 1/2-finger head with no retention. Mediocre lacing

S: Apple, hoppy aroma with some sweet malts. I'm also getting some cinnamon??

T: Hmmm. Leads with a blast of unbraced sweetness, followed by noticeable alcohol, and bittersweet apple juice aftertaste. Yikes for a double IPA....

M: Medium body for an IPA. Could use more carbonation

O: Really missed the mark for me. It was an IPA so I was looking for some nice hoppiness, but got fermented apple juice instead. I double checked and the bottle was fresh. Another disappointing brew from Boulder...

2.24/5  rDev -40.7%

Amber orange color. Thick, sticky head that hangs around and leaves thick lacing. Lots of sediment for some reason. Smells a lot like sweet pink grapefruit and ripe pineapple. Very sweet nose. Taste is pineapple and malty sweetness on the front. Still sweet in the middle, then bitter/citrus sour on the finish. Sweeter than I expected for a DIPA, yet taste follows the nose exactly. Tons of citrus and very sweet. Too sweet for my taste. Cloying aftertaste. I'm gonna give this a fairly low rating because it's too sweet for an IPA and it doesn't dry in the finish. The load of sediment is offputting also. Had to pour out the last bit because of the chunks... Eww.. Leaves a musty, moldy aftertaste.

2.32/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

A- This one has a lot of "floaties". I wonder how long ago it was bottled... Golden-amber color, a good amount of head. Semi-transparent.

S- My wife and I agree that this doesn't have a good beer smell. Not appetizing. Almost smells like cereal.

T- Not much going on. Actually kind of flat tasting. Not a bad aftertaste though.

M- Its ok.

D- IMO, too easy to drink for a DIPA.

2.51/5  rDev -33.6%

I haven't had this beer since it first came out, so I thought it was time to revisit. Poured from a bomber in to a Grand Marnier glass. Color is a clear orange, with a tidy, not too large looking white head. Smell gives off some honeydew, wildflowers and a big whiff of alcohol. From taste I get peaches, pears, some grapefruit, slight medicinal flavor, vodka, again very boozy. Body is medium, mild hop bitterness and again, lots of alcohol. Drinkability is a chore with this one. Sort of a shame considering how much of a fan I am of straight up Mojo. Oh well, either way awesome name. Cheers

2.52/5  rDev -33.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip.

Appearance: Hazy orange amber with a small amount of head (thats what she said) but a good amount of lacing.

Smell: pithy, orange peel, not too appealing

Taste: Oranges, with a smooth finish as it hold its alcohol quite well. Smooth but not perfectly balanced, with bitter hops.

Mouthfeel: slightly flat with a metallic aftertaste

Drinkability: For the money, it doesnt feel right or balanced enough. Nothing exciting about this beer or the vague aftertaste now left in my mouth.

Reviewed on: 4-16-2010--

2.68/5  rDev -29.1%

12oz bottle poured into a goblet.

A: Light to medium orange with a decent head.

S: Grapefruit, some sweet malt, some tangy notes.

T: The citrus and honey flavors found in most good DIPAs are disappointingly absent. All I can pick out is generic boring bitterness and some alcohol.

M: Appropriately syrupy.

D: A pretty big letdown. Drain pour.

look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

This beer comes in a copper golden color.

The aroma has a huge earthy aroma with pine. It smells "old" if that means anything.

The taste follows and is almost like a barleywine. It's very bitter, but not really of citrus hops, but more of that deep earthy resin character. So deep that it's almost like bitter tea leaves.

I had this on cask, so possibly that's an issue. Without carbonation, this herbal bittering just overwhelms the palate. It's interesting for sure, but too acrid.

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

clear straw color with a huge almost white head that forces me to pour it in a few stages. the lacing is epic.

biscuits, grain, and tropical fruit makes for an odd and unappetizing aroma.

some grapefruit, some syrupy sweetness, and some tropical fruit juice make up the flavor, which is not to my tastes.

medium bodied with bubbly carbonation that makes me burp and a lingering tang.

as far as DIPAs go, Im not sure Id revisit this one. I've had it before and remember not overly enjoying it, but I saw the bottling date of a week and one half before I purchased it, so I pulled the trigger. Freshness was never the issue. Im just not a fan of the hop/malt profile of this one. light biscuity malts and unripened tropical fruits are not for me.

2.69/5  rDev -28.8%

Been looking at this for a while and didn't see anything else that floated my boat so decided to give it a whirl

A: Umm...I'm down with some floaties but this one just looked like someone threw up in my beer. Not cool.

S: Good sugar and some malt but really nothing impressive about the nose

T: Meh (to quote a friend) - can't really see anything worth mentioning here other than some high malt presence for a DIPA which was strange.

M: Carbonation was a bit weak

D: Drain pour - hoping this one was sitting a while and that's why it was so bad. I'll give it another whirl perhaps if I can be sure the bottle I have to try is fresh.

2.7/5  rDev -28.6%

Bought at Bauer's in Boston. Pours rather clear for a DIPA. No head whatsoever. Not much hops smell to it. I can't tell what hops are in it b/c the hops are faint. I don't like the taste at all. Mouthfeel is OK but could use more carbonation. Drinkability is hurt by the flavor. Not recommended. I am glad I only bought one.

2.76/5  rDev -27%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine May 2007.

The American Double IPA has been a trendy beer style for over a year now, earning its own style designation and continually coveted by hopheads. Let's see what this Boulder brewer has to say about it.

Pale copper color, with a faint haze that goes away after the beer warms up a bit. More-than-sufficient head retention as the lace clings to the glass most of the way down. Heavy on the grapefruit hop resin, with piney and herbal hop notes and a spike of fruity esters in the aroma. Big crispness in a moderate body. Solid kernel of malt sweetness is first to show up, but is quickly pushed down by a forceful bitterness. Hops leave a long burning sting, with suggestions of freshly cut grass, grapefruit rind and pine. A little metallic and husky. Malt drops out and leaves the mouthfeel a bit thin with an alcohol that kicks the palate hard with esters and a faint solvent flavor. Finishes bitter with a breath of alcohol.

Not half bad, but compared to the many Double IPAs out there, this one sits in the middle of the road. Any kind of balance is lost here, but it's still worth a try for any hopheads out there.

2.83/5  rDev -25.1%

Nose: Citrus and resin at first. Strong biscuity malts. Berry esters. Not super-fantastic.

Appearance: Perfectly clear copper with a tight, frothy head. The color appears a little thin.

Taste: Bitter and boozy. No real balance. Dark green and grassy and slightly metallic. The feel is thin and unsatisfying.

Overall: A disappointment. Just bitterness, but no dynamism. Glad I got a single and not the $17 4-pack.

2.85/5  rDev -24.6%

Got this as an extra in a Trade, thanks Ky!

Pours an unfiltered translucent light amber, almost dark gold. Little head, though some rentention with solid lacing.

Pine, grapefruit, alochol, not much of a hop character. Doesnt stay, alcohol is masking most of the smell.

Harsh alcohol, some sticky pine, into what tastes a bit like metal hops.

Im a huge fan of big beers, so I enjoy the 10+ ABV for drinkability. However, I dont think this brew is very balanced. Usually the extreme hop character will join the ABV to balance each out. I dont find any sort of extreme hop, pale, etc to balance out the alcohol.

Also, the alcohol isnt very warm, its more biting. It almost tastes as if malt wasnt used, more like corn or something else. Now, I can taste the malt, but I dont think I taste it in the alcohol.

I have to be honest and say this brew tastes like I would expect a Coors DIPA to taste like. Maybe it was this bottle, I will have to try again.

2.9/5  rDev -23.3%

Expecting great things right off the bat. Have enjoyed Mojo on many occasions.
This beer poured a nice golden amber with a two finger, off white head.
Carbonation was good and the nose was quite pleasing with strong citrus almost grapefruit like notes.
Taste was the let down here. Mouthfel was o.k, but what was expected from the taste never materialized. Malt but no hops to speak of. Very alchoholy and little bitternness at the finish.
I have to assume the beer may have been old, but it was bought from a reputable shop.
Another prime example of why all beer should be dated. We will never know.

2.92/5  rDev -22.8%

The beer is cloudy with a small white head. The head sticks around for a while before settling to a thin white film on the surface of the beer. There's some spotty lacing as the beverage is drained.

This is easily the least potent smelling drink I've had in the entire IPA family of styles. There's no malts and really only a tiny smack of bitter hops. It's really kind of shocking since I find the Mojo standard to be a pretty damn good IPA overall.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
Again I'm pretty disappointed, this beer drinks a little bland. Up front there's some citrus hop bitterness which transfers in to a touch of malt sweetness but then it's over aside for some bitterness in to the aftertaste. The mouthfeel isn't too bad though. There's a good base of carbonation to back an otherwise smooth drinking beer. To this beer's merit, the alcohol is very well hidden though at 10%.

If the flavors were a little more rich and the smell was a little more potent then this would have been one of the more drinkable DIPAs I've ever had given its good mouthfeel and ability to quell the 10% ABV. Unfortunately the beer is kind of a yawn and that hurts the drinkability.

Bottom Line:
I had really high hopes for this beer because I really enjoy the Mojo and their Hazed and Infused but this was a really unimpressive beer for me and I can't allow pedigree to boost the score. Not Boulder brewing's best beer by a long shot.

2.94/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Anyone else have "The Soft Parade" stuck in their head? (I think it's a better song...) Regardless, this stuff pours a clear sunset bronze topped by a finger of off-white foam. The nose comprises mild pine sap, light toffee, and some wild rice growing in a patch of green grass. Haw's that for imagery? The taste brings in more of the same, though the prevailing theme is straight, unabashed resin. It's like bitterness for its own sake, but not to the degree of, say, Palate Wrecker. Still, it's overwhelming on the tongue, especially compared to the other components, and just comes off as unpleasant. A vague, blunt sweetness tries its best to pervade the background, but its results are mixed. The body is a stolid medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a drying finish. Overall, this thing probably had a decent idea (the basic DIPA trope of lots o' hops), but the execution proved flawed, to say the very least.

2.94/5  rDev -22.2%

22oz bomber split 2 ways, poured into a tulip, clearly printed best by date of July 27, 2011

2 finger head from an aggressive pour (preference), leaves some lacing with good retention, but the head fades to a very small amount which remains throughout the drink. Translucent deep straw/gold color. Odd appearance other than the head.

Pleasant lemon sweet smell fades leaving minimal aromas.

Clean crisp taste different than most DIPAs that I have tried. Malt dominates. Alcohol builds on the tongue but is not noticeable until the beer warms a bit. Grass, dry bread flavors, citrus is more of an orange soda flavor.

Dry aftertaste. bitterness is palatable and semi balanced.
The distinct apple juice aftertaste is very off-putting; in fact the appearance, aftertaste and mouthfeel are all quite akin to apple juice or cider.

Odd mouthfeel, goes down like water, very smooth and the drinkabilty is high for the most part with minimal carbonation but you wouldn't know it from the burps.

Overall an odd brew, rather mediocre, would love to have it again, maybe on tap, to give it another chance but I just can't get over the similarity to apple juice.

2.98/5  rDev -21.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. Best before October 28, clue when it was bottled, but its near the end of its freshness cycle.

A- the pour is orange with a one finger white head. That's it? Kinda boring. Nice lacing, though...really sticks to the glass

S- the hops I'm getting are mainly floral, with a little pine and citrus in there...but mostly floral. I don't like floral hops. Not cool.

T- the floral hops are enough to choke you. I like my hops bitter or citrusy...not flowery. There really isn't a huge flavor profile here either...apparently it uses Amarillo and Centennial. I'm really getting neither. Its earthy...not sweet, not bitter, just earthy.

M- this is REALLY thick and would be a little nicer if I enjoyed the flavors, but I don't. But hey, its about standard for the style

D- not the style of DIPA I like. Won't be buying it again...

2.98/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours clear copper with one finger white head. Pine aroma with sweet grapefruit. Slick mouthfeel with very little carbonation. Sweet up front with no real hop punch. Flat, bit of a dirty dry finish. Not as bad as Mojo but really not good. Not an old bottle either, as it says Enjoy By July 2013 and it is only April of the same year. Disappointed for sure.

2.99/5  rDev -20.9%

22 oz bottle poured into pint glass. Best by 7/24/2012.

Pours a straw color with just a touch of haze. 3-4 fingers of beautiful head that leaves heavy lacing down the side of the glass.

Smell is a dull honey and malt combination. Not much hop aroma. A little disappointing.

Definitely a malt-forward DIPA. Very sweet, and the hops taste a little dull. It's well before the "best by" date, but I've had this bottle in the fridge for at least 4 months - it shows. Fortunately, I like my beers malty. The bitterness that is here sticks around.

Thick mouthfeel - really coats the mouth. A little bite of alcohol in the aftertaste, but not bad for over 10%.

Not a bad DIPA, but hard to recommend when there are so many other choices available.

2.99/5  rDev -20.9%

Light copper pour with a large head that recedes fairly slowly and leaves a nice collar and some lacing. Smell is somewhat muted floral hops and some crayon wax. Taste is a bit musty, could be due to freshness but I don't know if the date on the bottle is "born on" or "best by." Even if it is "best by," I am still fairly close and it should be this muted yet. Mouthfeel is nearly full but drinkability suffers mainly due lack of a defined hop character.

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber. Leaves less than a one finger white head that quickly dissappears into a foam ring at the edges, and not much lacing, all of which don't bode well for a DIPA. Body is an orange-hued honey amber.

Smell - pine resin, hint of caramel, and some spicy alcohol.

Taste - bitter pine resin, and alcohol. Where's the malt ?

Mouthfeel - medium to thin bodied, and semi-dry.

Drinkability - high abv limits sessionability, in addtion to this ale being barely decent tasting.

3.01/5  rDev -20.4%

22oz Bomber poured into pint glass.

I was excited to try this one. Was not at all what I was expecting.

Pours a nice golden copper color with a good finger and a half of white head that stayed for quite a while before turning into a solid cap on top of the beer. Decent lacing.

Upon first smell, I picked up a nice aroma of hops. Then when I took another whiff I got a strong alcohol burn. Alcohol definately shouting out loud in the aroma.

First sip wow. I was a bit disappointed. Strong heat from alcohol and that was the main flavor, then a little hop taste and a strong bitterness. The bitterness was actually not bad, but the alcohol burn was not pleasant. This beer reminds me of DFH 120 minute only with half the alcohol. Kind of confused how this is possible. But it really reminds me exactly of that. Not as sweet as the 120 minute but just weird.

Mouthfeel was kind of mediocre. A little watery. The carbonation was pretty good. Left a slightly creamy finish. But overall the beer is a bit thin feeling.

Drinkability is the downfall of this one for me. I LOVE DIPAs but this one is just not that drinkable. I'm not even halfway through this bomber and I wish I had a friend here to help me finish it. It's like trying to chug a DFH 120 minute by yourself. It's a pretty rough one to get through. As this warms it just gets worse. The alcohol is not hidden at all and it's starting to feel like I'm drinking rubbing alcohol.

My conclusion is I simply won't buy this one again. I'm a hophead and this one is just not for me. It gets you buzzed very fast. But it's just not worth it to me when it doesn't taste good. Cheers!

Mojo Risin' Double IPA from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub