Mojo Risin' Double IPA - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Mojo Risin' Double IPAMojo Risin' Double IPA

poor

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: UnionMade on 02-12-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mojo Risin' Double IPA Alström Bros
3.8/5  rDev +1.9%

Live Review. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my DFH clean, clear pint glass. $3.00 as a single at Heinen's in Willoughby Hills, Ohio. No observed "best by" date.

A One hell of a generous 5 inch head (I poured vigorously) over a nice pumpkin orange brown translucent body with visible carbonation rising up. I really like the look of this beer. It is impressive. What makes me give it a 5.0 is the top to bottom of the glass lacing observed after the pint was empty. Awesome!

S Well this is no surprise but big, floral hops with maybe a nice pleasing sweetness buried deep in the background of the nose.

T I had to let the head settle down (it took a good 5 minutes!) but once it did, I had my first sip. This is a nice, balanced DIPA that hides the alcohol nicely and presents the hops with the soft cushion landing of sweet malt. A mature, drinkable DIPA.

M Full with big hops, malt and alcohol.

D One and done for me but I could be persuaded to have two of these.

Notes: A pleasant surprise as I do not often like this style!

3.9/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a bright golden amber color with a decent frothy head that sticks to the glass well. Smells of hard candy, sweet fruits, mangos, pineapple, citrusy, very floral...smells delicious. Taste is of citrus hops, bready malts, sweet and very hoppy but not very bitter...just a good touch on the finish of bitterness. Smooth. Tad of alcohol warmth. It's pretty dense and heavy, almost syrupy like a barleywine. Good carbonation, with hop oils coating the mouth. Very tasty brew but couldnt handle more than two at a time. Solid East Coast DIPA.

3.95/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a copper/medium-amber color with a two-finger head into my glass that fades down to a one-finger head.

Aroma is full of floral hops with a good malt kick underneath and a bit of alcohol in the nose.

Taste is full of floral hop bitterness with a bit of grapefruit upfront followed by a bit of sweet biscuit malt underneath and a bit of alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel is full of lingering floral, grapefruit hops and alcohol warmth. It goes down well and without any offensive flavors.

Alcohol warmth is a bit much here but it does not overwhelm. Otherwise, it seems like a good example of the style. Easy to drink and though the hops would fade, I would say that aging it for a few months (less than 3-6) would mellow out the alcohol and bring out the malt more.

3.8/5  rDev +1.9%

Got a bomber from Swifty. Nice clear reddish amber color. Not much smell, I was expecting to get a little more hops fragrance. It's very subtle. Good taste with solid citrus notes, nice grapefruit finish and a fair alcohol burn. Not much head, but I guess that's what's going to happen with a 10% beer. I'm not sure why it's listed as 10.5% above when it reads 10% on the label, I definitely don't taste that extra 0.5%. This is a very solid beer, but with so many good imperial IPAs I doubt I will be seeking this one out considering I don't live very close to Colorado.

Clar amber with a whipped mousse like two fingers of off white foam that settle slowly leaving sticky lace on the glass. Smells of fruity hops and caramel malt, grapefruit rind and pineapple come to mind. Sweet caramel malt with a spicy, slightly less aggressive hop profile than I usually expect in a big 10% ABV 22OZ DIPA, but it really works quite well and the alcohol is extremely well hidden. Medium slippery hop oil mouthfeel. Easy to drink and at about half the price of most DIPA bombers I encounter, I'll definately have this one again.

3.63/5  rDev -2.7%

A - Nice deep gold/amber color with a decent, dense cap that leaves some stick. Some carbo bubbles streaming, too.

S - Grapefruit, caramel malt, and perhaps more citrus and peat. Raw honey?

T - Hops jump to the forefront with grapefruit followed by caramel and fresh grass with essentially no alcohol burn on the finish.

M - Denser than I thought but starts to approach the level of "syrupy," without stepping over the line. Nice carbonation makes this refreshing, too.

D - We had it w/dry-rubbed smoked ribs and it was perfect. Enjoy!

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured into a Sierra Nevada tulip. Clear copper body. 1 1/2 finger white rocky head. Good lacing.

Smell had some sweet caramel malts. Citrusy hops backed with fruity aromas or orange and grapefruit.

Taste was slightly sweet w/ a mild alcohol warmth. Smooth bitterness with a mild bite on the tongue. Fruity hops appear again, but taste wasnt overly citrusy or fruity. Hints of a raisin like sweetness. Slightly nutty as well.

Mouthfeel was a medium body, slightly oily and well carbonated.

Drinkability was good. Very mild alcohol warmth that fades. Well balanced bitterness and sweetness.

3.6/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A nice amber in color with a large, off-white head which is like whipped cream in texture.

The aroma is hoppy, but not highly so.

Mojo Risin' is going more for alcohol and strength than bitterness and hoppiness. Good hop flavors mix with powerful alcohol flavors.

The body is oily and slick. Yum.

This isn't one of my favorite Double IPAs. I prefer more aggressive hop and bitter notes. But this is worth trying, especially for those who may not be that fond of hoppier examples of the style.

3.58/5  rDev -4%

22oz bottle poured into a straight pub glass.

Aroma -- Grapefruit and earth! A bit of spice and sweetness, too.

Appearance -- Well carbonated, pale orange or dark straw. A near-white, fine head forms at about 1.5 fingers in height, which reduces to a thin, persistent cap. Laces the glass moderately well.

The rest -- A good balance, though with a bit too much alcohol bite showing up about halfway through a mouthful. A lot of amarillo hops flavor, some crystal, and slight biscuit. Finishes with a tart, bitter grapefruit aftertaste. Medium-light mouthfeel. Pretty drinkable and pleasant, despite the alcohol bite (the strength of which depends on how long you keep the stuff in your mouth).

3.68/5  rDev -1.3%

On-tap at Pearly Baker's in Easton, PA. This was overall a tasty beer, but I thought the hops weren't quite strong enough to overcome that massive malt and that the hops weren't complex enough. They really stuck to the sweet, juicy pineaple punch taste (and same in the aroma) without much deviation. Paired with all the sweet malt, I didn't finish my pint.

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

12 oz. bottle into a Brooklyn tulip.

Appearance: On the lighter side of copper, with not a lot of bubbles floating to the top in the body. Interestingly spattered mini-blobs of lacing around the bulbous part of the glass.

Smell: Strong citrus aromas and fruit esters to begin with. Like orange gummy candy dipped in sugar. A lot of sweetness all around, and sweeter grapefruit mixing with rind-like pungency potential. Definitely on the fruitier side of the style, but nice.

Taste: There's a bit too much sweetness here for me to be a huge fan of this, and it could use some of the heat toned down. It's one of the sweetest DIPAs I've had, which would be fine if the hop backbone was there, ripping into my tastebuds also. But mostly it's the malt flavor, a big rock candy presence, some honey, lots of sweet orange, but yes, I miss the hop presence. There's too much malt sweetness and not enough hops coming through here, and that's going to turn many people off. Again, it's interesting to get a brew like this where the hops aren't completely dominating, but the sweetness levels are way too high, and maybe this would've been better to at the 8% or 9% range rather than 10%.

Mouthfeel: Good medium to full feel, a bit nicely sticky and syrupy, though the carbonation's prickly and champagne-like to balance some things out.

Drinkability: This seems to be expensive stuff, so I'm glad I only got one bottle. I wouldn't be thrilled if I had three more to drink. And with it's malt strength, it's a good candidate for a snifter, and this could easily give at least two folks, if not three, a good tasting, rather than it being something like a bomber. Glad I tried it, but I wouldn't go back to it I don't think.

4.13/5  rDev +10.7%

Pours a nice cloudy tan color. It has a nice unfiltered look with a highly carbonated, almost cascade-like look created a nice white head that laces all the way down.
Smell has a nice, strong hop aroma. The hops have a very nice citrus and grapefruit smell.
Taste is very nice. The same citrus hop smell dominated by grapefruit comes through in the taste. However, there is a bit of an alcohol taste in it, too.
Mouthfeel could not be better in my mind for a DIPA. There is a medium thckness, creating a refreshing bite, but a really smooth feel at the same time.
Drinkability is nice on this selection. I generally tended to think that beers from Boulder Beer were just a marketing gimmick to stoners, but this beer changed my mind. Great hop taste and high in alcohol, but the awesome mouthfeel makes it a highly drinkable selection. Get it...

2.1/5  rDev -43.7%

Picked up a 4 pack from Liquor Depot in Rock Springs, WY. Around $10.

A: Hazy gold color, tan head about half an inch or so thick, with excellent lacing, pretty fair head retention. Quite cloudy.

S: Booze, big time (never a good start for DIPA), sort of a weird spicy hop characteristic mixed with a citrus characteristic that doesn't quite fit, almost rotten grapefruit, I hope this isn't incredibly old (no freshness date), caramel malts start to shine as it warms. Not that impressed right now.

T: Caramel malt, and odd bitterness, almost tastes like rot, steamed vegetables?, I don't know what is wrong with this beer, but wow. Almost no other flavors are present.

M: Thick, and hot with booze, fair amount of carbonation.

D: This could be a drainpour. There is nothing going on in this beer that says DIPA, it tastes like rotten vegetables. I really hope that I can try this beer fresh, because I have no idea how old this is. Not good. Sad showing from one of my more regular breweries.

3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

A :Poured an almost reddish-amber with a finger-width layer of head.
S: Smell is good, but I expected it would be stronger for a double-dry-hopped beer.
T: Taste is good. Very strong citrus character. Rather grapefruit-like.
M: Smooth. Balanced.
D: Goes down very easy. For a 10.50% abv it is quite drinkable. I could probably drink a few of these in a row (but I'd be drunk and poor, which I suppose I already am).

3.48/5  rDev -6.7%

The body was clear, peach colored, and lightly carbonated, and the head that formed after a normal pour was small and short lived, but left a good bit of lacing. The smell really let me down. It would have been a decent and pleasantly hoppy smelling beer had it been any other style, but as a DIPA, it was too bland. The taste was a bit unusual for the style as well as it was a little too under attenuated and sweet, but then backed with a bitter punch. Sticky and quite dense in the mouth, which was accentuated further by the lack of decent carbonation, but I didn't mind, as I like my beers more substantial. A beer that just seemed to be indecisive in its approach.

3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Nice big and frothy off-white head. Clear pale orange body shows that the beer doesn't have much carbonation. Aroma is almost exclusively sticky sweet citrus peels and grapefruit. The taste is sweet smooth and hoppy. If this beer is really 10.5% abv it's really well hidden. Dangerously drinkable for the supposed abv.

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

Had a glass of mojo risin' on tap at stub and herbs the other night. I've seen this beer at the store so many times but I've never bought it. I guess I hadn't heard much about it, or maybe the label turned me off.

A- Not really what I expected for a double IPA, it is very light in color. The color is golden with a shine. Not much cloudiness to this brew. The head was rather small and left the glass quick.

S- The smell was decent, more pine hops than citrus. But the bitter grapefruit scent was there. Also I noticed a hint of bread dough on the nose. And more malty ness than a typical Imp IPA.

T- I found the taste to be lacking, not awful though. But it was light bodied hops with a faint citrus flavor. I found no complex spices or any intresting flavors. Just kind of a boring standard IPA flavor, not an exciting double IPA taste. But the hop flavors do hide the alcohol nicely.

M- The mouth was fair, it was a bit thicker than the appearance would suggest. But washed away smoothly and left the mouth dry.

D- For being 10% ABV this beer is very drinkable, I drank mine to fast actually. But because of the lacking flavors I past on getting a second one.

Overall a good beer but not my first choice for IPA's.

4.38/5  rDev +17.4%

Brand new release on tap at a local store. Let's just say that while I already was impressed with the bottled version, this beer really shines on tap. Wow!

A: Beautiful golden / amber color. Some carbonation / head, but not much. No sediment or haze at all.

S: Grapefruit + citrus up front. Then some pure sugar underneath. Becoming a slight bit honeyed after. Smells relatively balanced.

T: Take a white grapefruit, dip it in honey and then coat it in powdered sugar. Tons of hops and tons of sugary malts backed by a high ABV, yet tastes totally smooth and balanced. I really enjoy this beer. I'd honestly put it close to or on-par with HopSlam and Nugget Nectar now.

M: Wonderful texture. Heavy, thick, and somewhat syrupy.

D: I find it wonderfully drinkable for a beer with 10%+ ABV. It was served at frosty temps and was good all the way through cellar temp.

4.63/5  rDev +24.1%

Purchased in a 4-pack on Friday at Mass Bev in Lawrence.

Appearance: Pours a deep golden, orange color. A nice sticky finger of head that stays around for a while. Great lacing down the side of theSome bubbles slowing 'risin' to the surface. Very pretty beer.

Smell: Citrus, piney hops. Grapefruit. Pineapple. Juniper. Orange. Sweet. Not too overbearing. Smells more malty than I would have thought for a DIPA.

Taste: You can taste the Amarillo hops. Yum! The malt rounds it off nicely though. If I didn't know this had a 10% ABV, I'd probably drink the entire four-pack. The pine notes are very prevalent. The citrus fades quickly, and the malts provide the right kick at the end to make it very sweet and inviting.

Mouthfeel: This is a surprisingly light DIPA. The high alcohol content doesn't come through at all.

Drinkability: I like this one a lot! This one is much better than the Mojo IPA. The added hops and malts make it a much more rounded beer. As pretty as it is and is good as it tastes, it doesn't take a lot to convince me to have another one. (High ABV should serve as an apt warning)

3.93/5  rDev +5.4%

This poured a clear gold with light tan head. It smelled like lemon and pine hops with sweet honey malt and creamy yeast. It tasted like fresh lemons with pine hops and sweet creamy yeast, and some light caramel malt and some alcohol. It was fairly thick with a bit of carbonation, and had a bittersweet creamy aftertaste. Overall this was very sweet and balanced for an Imperial IPA, but it was clean and tasty. It had very nice body, and was very easy to drink despite some alcohol being noticeable. I wish the smell was stronger and the hops had a bigger bite. But this was still nice to drink.

3.83/5  rDev +2.7%

Mojo Risin' is a clear, sparkling, light amber ale with a small white head. The aroma is of pine cones, grapefruit and orange peel, resin and alcohol. It is medium bodied, smooth, and the finish is pretty clean. It's quite bitter! There are flavors of pine tar, orange peel and grass. The finish is slightly sweet. There's not a lot of finesse here, but it's pretty exciting.

3.65/5  rDev -2.1%

A- Very hazy. Actually one of the more hazy DIPA's that I've had in a while. Dark caramel in color.
S- Very strong hop bitterness in the nose. Grass, some citrus.
T- Strong hop punch right off the bat. Strong bitterness, refreshing. Bit of a solvent/alc. taste near the end.
M- Very solid consistency. Rolls around nicely.
D- Not very drinkable from the stand point of anything tasted after this is virtually tasteless.

This is a decent DIPA. I wouldn't go out of my way to get it though.

4.1/5  rDev +9.9%

Sampled on 3-20-09

Pours very cloudy deep orange/gold, with a filmy white head and white rings of lacing.

Smell is lots of hops, very sweet and thick, tons of fruitiness, with a great lemony finish.

Taste is tons of hops, very bitter and very strong. Alcohol is perceptible as heat, adding to the hops. The aftertaste is bitter and almost never ends.

Mouthfeel is good, thick and syrupy is the best kind for the style.

Drinkability is good, enjoyable flavors and well-handled abv.

Overall, an absolute hop bomb. I like it.

4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

A- A slight head on my pour and the body had an beautiful hazy amber color. Some lacing.

S - Sweet and hoppy citrus aroma.

T- An excellent IPA that initially hits your palate with bold sweet hops and a lasting after taste.

M - Slick with carbonation and a slight bite on the sides of the tongue.

D - A nice IPA although the ABV could sneak up on you if you have a couple of these.

4.05/5  rDev +8.6%

Appearance: Pours a clear, orange-hued body layered with a full inch of off-white foam. Decent amount of lacing on the way down.

Smell: Aromatic citrus-scented hop bouquet, a veritable platter of fruit, with lesser though substantial malt notes underneath.

Taste: Pale malts along with sweetish tastes of honey and light caramel dogged by the zesty taste of citrusy hops providing plenty of citric tangerine and ruby red grapefruit and a moderate amount of hop bitterness. Tiny hint of pine. Little boost of alcohol arrives prior to the finish. Finishes dry and bitter with a long (though never tedious) aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation. Just a touch of stickiness to the mouthfeel.

Drinkability: I'll come clean -- sometimes the use of Amarillo does it for me and sometimes is doesn't at all. Thankfully, this was a case of the former. A good Double IPA that drinks fairly easily considering the ABV percentage.

Mojo Risin' Double IPA from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub