Mojo Risin' Double IPA - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

good

poor

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: UnionMade on 02-12-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mojo Risin' Double IPA Alström Bros
tprokop7

4.83/5  rDev +29.1%

After leaving a mediocre review for a cask serving of risin', I think it's only fair that I review the bottle too. I really love this beer, and the ones I've had from the bottle are the reason for that.

A - Golden-amber and very clear. Head is cream colored, thick, light, and doesn't dissipate too quickly.

S - Hops and citrus. Just a slight sweetness, but the hops are the most powerful.

T - Wonderful. Smooth and bitter, with a definite citrus (lemon and grapefruit, mostly) finish.

M - Smooth, with moderate carbonation, this feels great going down.

D - One of my favorites, I could drink these for hours.

02-11-2008 02:51:05 | More by tprokop7
DrinkinBuddy

4.15/5  rDev +11%

Pours a dark golden with a very sturdy nearly 2 finger head. Head leaves very nice lacing. Smell is in your face hops! (floral citrus punch) Tastes is very clean nice hoppy citrus with a nice crisp finish. Mouthfeel is a little thin and but very smooth with a nice balance of carbonation for the DIPA style. Drinkability is a decent with a nice hiding of the ABV overall. A good DIPA from Boulder with a nice westcoast vibe. Cheers!!!

02-10-2008 07:08:13 | More by DrinkinBuddy
logdogg

Kansas

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

This beer poured great nearly two fingers of head, small nicely shaped bubbles near the bottom of the head and frothy foamyness near the top. First thing I noted was the smell, excellent hoppy, citrus, lemon aroma, this smell did disapate and the malts came out midway through the beer. The most amazing thing about this beer is the masked alcohol content you could drink a number of these end up way more smashed than expected. This beer has a great flavor, not as hoppy as I expected a DIPA to be but the fore and especially the after taste are outstanding. It leaves a crisp clean nicely flavored after taste. Worth trying this beer, it is not my favorite DIPA, but I like it better than the regular Mojo. Colorado can take pride in this brew, not quite world class though - gonna keep on riding, ride it ride it.

02-09-2008 03:05:02 | More by logdogg
srobertson59

3.43/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber:

A - Pours a hazy honey/amber color with somewhat less foam than I would expect. The off-white foam leaves slight lacing on the glass all the way through.

S - Very sweet aroma...reminds me of bing cherries. Hops are present, but well hidden beneath the malt.

T - Taste is slightly different than the nose. The hops step up on the palate, but are not as present as I would expect in a dIPA. Alcohol is barely present.

M - Creamy with little prickles of carbonation. Sweetness wears off quickly leaving a crisp finish.

D - Smooth combination of elements. This may be a good entry point for someone wanting to try dIPAs, but falls well short of the hop content I look for.

Overall, Mojo Risin is a tasty brew but comes up very shy in the "in your face" department. I will certainly try other offerings from Boulder Beer as this one is really quite nice; just not what I expect in a Double IPA.

02-04-2008 23:30:47 | More by srobertson59
brentk56

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

Appearance: Pours a clear honey color with a buoyant head that retains and laces well

Smell: Pithy and piney, with floral pineapple tones

Taste: Starts out with a pithy pineapple flavor, although there is clearly a balancing malt aspect on the front end; after the swallow, the fruity citrus and pineapple flavors dominate; some residual sweetness and alcohol on the finish

Mouthfeel: Medium body with moderate carbonation; some warmth on the finish

Drinkability: I'm drinking a super fresh bottle that has totally turned my opinion around on this beer; fantastic when fresh

01-13-2008 19:38:10 | More by brentk56
baos

Indiana

4.15/5  rDev +11%

Drinketh whilst typeth

12 oz into favorite Trappist glass.

A: Jim Morrison is on acid in my closet singing "mojo RISING mr. mojo rising!!!" I wish he'd leave me alone. Beer looks good. Golden with one finger of white head that dwindles to nothing but a few patches of foam and a bubbly collar. Really nice lacing.

S: Orange-zesty-bees-waxy-hoppy kinda essence. I love hops so if you're the same drink this pale ale.

T: Just like it smells ends super dry.

M: More than I was expecting lots of carbonation, but spot on for this type of brew.

D: Very highly drinkable all weather beer. Taste kind of like Colorado. Bravo to the Coloradoans.

01-10-2008 01:34:01 | More by baos
davidt

3.45/5  rDev -7.8%

Pours a golden amber color and keeps a thin head for the duration of the pour. The aroma is more malt than hop. The taste is not as hoppy as I would have expected. The smack of the hops that I was expecting was somewhat overshadowed by the sweetness of the malts. The balance is more towards the malt side than I prefer in a DIPA. The alcohol is well-masked though and this is an easy drinker. A good but not outstanding DIPA. I actually preferred it's Mojo sibling.

11-12-2007 01:50:54 | More by davidt
sid6581

3.7/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into Stella glass

Hazy, amber in color. Off-white head quickly dissipates - leaving 1" of lace on the glass.

Overall I'm not impressed with the aroma. There should be more here. Maybe my bottle is old but I was expecting more hop aroma. What's there is pine, resinous, some citrus.

Nice flavor - hops are THERE. Can't really taste the malt. This one is about the hops and that's it. Spicy.

Very drinkable for this ABV. Alcohol is apparent but not overpowering.

I've had 2 or 3 of these by now. Honestly, I'm not a big fan of Mojo Risin or Mojo. I like Boulder's Hazed and Infused better. There are better double IPAs for the money.

10-21-2007 02:20:48 | More by sid6581
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

Honey golden body hosts a thick frothy one finger head of off white cream that fades to a lace and skim in a short time. Wow this is a wonderfully floral blend of citrus hops that warns of hop balanced sweetness and really gets the mouth watering. Enters slightly thin at first, then the hops develop silky and almost creamy smooth on the palate. Sharp bitter feel is acconpined by a alight richness of malt twords the finish. Bitter mouth hue stays long after the sip has left the tongue and it hits the belly. Not bad at all but a little scattered.

10-18-2007 20:32:06 | More by SPLITGRIN
Risser09

4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

22 oz bottle served into a large snifter

Appearance: Pours slightly hazed golden yellow with an off white head that reaches 1 inch in height. Spongy appearance with extremely varied sizes.

Smell: Alcohol, pine and a bunch of fresh grapefruit. Hop flowers and sugars. Just what you'd expect from a DIPA.

Taste: Thick and resinous. The hop flavor is piney with a touch of grapefruit. Bitter lemon. This is a great flavor and reminds me of Victory's Hop Wallop.

Moutfeel: Probably the best part of this beer is the mouthfeel. Thick and sugary, with a ton of creaminess to start. A crisp, drying effect then takes over your throat and palate upon swallowing. Then you are left with an alcohol bite that is both satisfying and warming. Nicely done!

Drinkability: Great. I went through this bomber no problem. This is a tasty beer that could compare to other DIPAs out there. Definitely worth trying.

10-05-2007 20:36:22 | More by Risser09
Gusler

Arizona

3.98/5  rDev +6.4%

The beer pours from the 22 ounce brown bottle a nice gold color with a modest bright white creamy head that dissipates slowly, leaving an encircling cover of lace to hide the glass. Nose has a big hop presence, sweet malt, a nice portent of things to come. Start is nicely malted, hop bitter and the top light to moderate in feel. Finish is sternly acidic, somewhat sweet, the hops biting in their spiciness, quite dry and lingering aftertaste, another nice beer for hop lovers.

10-03-2007 22:15:18 | More by Gusler
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.55/5  rDev -5.1%

This bomber packs an orange and tangerine citrus punch. In the aroma and the taste,and the body colour, and then hop bombs you in the finish, offset by lots of malt. Streaking of lace on the glass is all that's left, along with a drying throat. An example of amarillo hops. Lots of sweetness to offset the obvious bitterness.

09-04-2007 01:00:51 | More by Sammy
macster

4.05/5  rDev +8.3%

Leaves the bottle a slightly hazy deep golden color. Produces an attractive fluffy and durable off white head with great retention throughout the glass. Minimal lacing noted.

Aroma is much dominated by the telltale Amarillo hop notes of fresh tangerine, grapefruit, orange peel and a hint of pine. A superb hop variety for west coast IPA’s IMHO. Unfortunatel only a minimal amount of maltiness contributes to the aroma profile.

Palate is smooth and velvety but seems slightly thin soon after the swallow.

Taste shows off a crisp and firm hoppy bitterness from the start but not well balanced with the malts. Some caramel candy and malt cereal sweetness attempts to sneak through, but barely perceptible. Finish is super long and pleasantly bitter.

The 10% alcohol is very well hidden making this an easy drinking IIPA.

08-12-2007 05:10:38 | More by macster
pmcadamis

4.47/5  rDev +19.5%

A - Hazy and dull bronze-orange brew with a flimsy dish-soap water head. Swirling brings up a thin cap that goes away pretty quickly, leaving some wet spotty lace on the glass.

S - I could smell the orange-y hop aromas when I was pouring it into the glass, and now that I'm sticking my nose into it, the grapefruit and mandarin orange notes are there in full force. This has a nice array of citrus fruit flavors...mandarin orange, halved grapefruit with sugar piled on it (the way my mom used to eat grapefruit), mango, guava, and a little kiwi. This doesn't scour your olfactory nerves with scathing hop insanity like other DIPAs do, and that's a bit disappointing. It also lacks the big biscuity malt backbone that some others have. This smells good, and I like the tropical fruit-salad aroma.

T - The hops are much more aggressive than the nose suggests. Big time grapefruit and mandarin orange. Sweet and sugary, but like the nose, it doesn't have quite the malt backbone to really support the super-hoppy citrus fruit flavors. It is damn good though, like tropical fruit salad with sugar. The alcohol is transparent, and that's saying something for such a big beer!

M - Full bodied, oily, and extremely dry on the finish. The carbonation is almost non-existent, the body is oily, sandy and gritty, and the finish is very dry, astringent, and full of bitter hop flavors with a touch of alcohol warmth. I like it!

D - A great hop-lovers brew with unique fruity aromas and flavors. Not he best DIPA out there, but it sure ain't bad. This is one of my favorite styles of beer, and I would have this again for sure.

07-30-2007 17:35:42 | More by pmcadamis
OWSLEY069

3.98/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a pale orange with a white head. In the aroma, hops and a small presence of alcohol. In the taste, a small grapefruity hop taste. Smooth for a I2PA (or double IPA, depends who I am talking to) and dryer end. Easy to drink, and very balanced. Very tasty.

07-29-2007 17:31:39 | More by OWSLEY069
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

"Mr. Mojo risin', Mr. Mojo risin'..."

--From 'L.A. Woman' by The Doors
(Mr. Mojo risin' is an anagram of Jim Morrison)

Tangerine peel with an exceedingly placid (borderline lifeless) interior. I'm convinced there's carbonation present because I'm looking at a two finger crown of pastel orange whose upper surface is loaded with glassine bubbles. Despite the high ABV, a thick blanket of finely pocked foam decorates the glass. Even though I prefer 'dirty', hop-flecked IPAs and DIPAs, this is a great looking beer thanks to the head and lace.

The label tells me that Mojo Risin' Double IPA contains 'twice the amount of Amarillo hops' as Mojo IPA. I believe it. Presumably, it also contains Centennial hops, like its little brother. Can't go wrong with that hop bill as far as I'm concerned. Pink grapefruit, mandarin orange, lemon, maybe a little cheesiness. Love it.

Unfortunately, this DIPA isn't nearly as good as the IPA that was its inspiration. I applaud the brewers for attempting to amplify such a great beer, but it didn't work out as well as it might have. Three times the amount of hops might have been the place to start.

I'd have to taste them side-by-side to be sure, but I remember the IPA as much more hoppy. I guess all that added pale malt ('more than half a ton') is dragging the Amarillo and Centennial down to earth. Rather than a tropical fruit explosion, the grapefruit, orange and lemoniness is fairly mellow. Too mellow is almost never good in a DIPA.

A lack of anything darker than pale malt (a guess) keeps the flavor profile on my good side. Alcohol, while easily noted, is much tamer than the ABV would suggest. I like the mouthfeel. It's medium-full for the style and is gently carbonated, giving the beer a smooth, slick presence on the tongue.

I buy sixers of Mojo IPA whenever I see them, which isn't often. It looks like my dreams of a mind-blowing DIPA based on one of my favorite IPAs will have to wait. Calling this beer Mojo Sinkin' is too harsh (and isn't accurate anyway), but I'd love to see Boulder take this one back to the drawing board and give it another go.

07-18-2007 15:34:19 | More by BuckeyeNation
Grundle20

2.95/5  rDev -21.1%

Appearance:
The beer is cloudy with a small white head. The head sticks around for a while before settling to a thin white film on the surface of the beer. There's some spotty lacing as the beverage is drained.

Smell:
This is easily the least potent smelling drink I've had in the entire IPA family of styles. There's no malts and really only a tiny smack of bitter hops. It's really kind of shocking since I find the Mojo standard to be a pretty damn good IPA overall.

Taste and Mouthfeel:
Again I'm pretty disappointed, this beer drinks a little bland. Up front there's some citrus hop bitterness which transfers in to a touch of malt sweetness but then it's over aside for some bitterness in to the aftertaste. The mouthfeel isn't too bad though. There's a good base of carbonation to back an otherwise smooth drinking beer. To this beer's merit, the alcohol is very well hidden though at 10%.

Drinkability:
If the flavors were a little more rich and the smell was a little more potent then this would have been one of the more drinkable DIPAs I've ever had given its good mouthfeel and ability to quell the 10% ABV. Unfortunately the beer is kind of a yawn and that hurts the drinkability.

Bottom Line:
I had really high hopes for this beer because I really enjoy the Mojo and their Hazed and Infused but this was a really unimpressive beer for me and I can't allow pedigree to boost the score. Not Boulder brewing's best beer by a long shot.

07-07-2007 20:45:47 | More by Grundle20
rowew

Colorado

4.03/5  rDev +7.8%

Presentation: 22 oz bomber, looks similar to the original Mojo. No date info.

Appearance: Pours yellowish orange, medium head fades quickly, but leaves a bit of lacing.

Smell: Hops - a bit of malt sweetness, but some grapefruit and sticky pine dominates.

Taste: Medium bodied, low carbonation. Not much bitterness, but quite a bit of hop flavor. The same pine comes through, but the fruit flavors are a bit more muted.

Overall impression: Very high drinkability considering the ABV - this one hides it well. Low bitterness, but still not overly sweet - nicely balanced. I've had this on tap and cask as well - both are nice, but the cask is best.

07-05-2007 01:06:52 | More by rowew
BrewSomerville

Ontario (Canada)

3.53/5  rDev -5.6%

Aroma is oozing with hops. Rhubarb! Grapefruit, & pine

The colour reminds me of tree sap. Amber/orange/golden colour. Head looked tight, but then disappeared too quickly. Poor head retention. The head was white. Lace is very good, which surprises me considering the lack of head left.

When it first hits your tongue it's not nearly as hoppy as the aroma suggested...but the bitterness, and piney flavours build in your mouth. Definately tasting grapefruit, some rhubarb too. Very good hop flavouring. The hop bittering is well matched by the malty-sweetness. Bitter/ hop flavour coating covers your mouth after a while.

Mouthfeel was nothing special. Medium bodied. Avg. carbonation.

Overall, I like it. A great brew. I recommend it to anyone who likes IPA's.

06-30-2007 16:45:05 | More by BrewSomerville
KarlHungus

3.35/5  rDev -10.4%

This brew pours a cloudy pale orange color with a small white head. The aroma is of citrus and grapefruit with a hint of pine and alcohol. The taste is very bitter but lacking in all other areas. There is a faint wisp of pine in the finish but that is it for flavor. The mouthfeel is medium bodied that has a noticeable thinness that is not quite watery, but not pleasant either. Overall, this is a decent beer, but there are a lot of better DIPAs out there.

06-25-2007 01:13:17 | More by KarlHungus
kajerm

3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

Bomber from Capone's. Pours amber and fairly cloudy with a substantial white head and decent lacing.

The aroma is surprisingly subdued, especially given the fact that the amarillo hops explode out of the bottle in the regular mojo IPA. Some peach/mango hop character is present, though, along with a lot more biscuity malt than in the regular mojo (but that's to be expected.)

Tastes more or less exactly like it smells, with the same basic progression as any other DIPA-- opens up with malt and hop-derived sweetness and fruit from flavor-hopping, which grows mid-palate and subsides into bitterness. Bittering is not at all overdone, and the balance is actually very nice. I nearly shat myself when I read that this beer was 10.50% ABV, since it's utterly undetectable-- this beer could have really been 6% for all I knew.

But I want to taste the amarillo more, dammit. That's why I bought this bomber in the first place.

Mouthfeel is slightly creamy from the pronounced malts and brightly carbonated. Extremely refreshing and pretty damned drinkable (staggeringly drinkable, actually, given the ABV), especially if you're a hophead.

I'm willing to chalk up my main complaint to lack of freshness (although it's not like this was an ancient bottle or anything), and I hope that boulder starts shipping this in the same quantities as regular Mojo. I'd really like to try it at it's peak.

06-23-2007 16:01:00 | More by kajerm
cameraman

Kentucky

3.08/5  rDev -17.6%

An amber color that fades to a lighter shade towards the bottom of the glass. A half inch white head forms on top and slowly fades away. A strong citrus aroma of grapefruit and lemon start out followed by a floralscent to finish it off. The taste starts very much on the malty side, then a gradual bitterness begins to grow, but never exceeds the malt flavor, well balanced, not what I am looking for. A watery feel at first, it then gradually gains weight to become more medium bodied. There is a dryness does hit the palate at the end. This is an easy to drink beer, but I question double IPA title. The hops do not have the power one would expect in the aroma and flavor. It is almost like hoppier APA, which is scary considering the ten percent ABV on this beer.

06-23-2007 01:36:26 | More by cameraman
bruachan

District of Columbia

3.2/5  rDev -14.4%

a thick creamy head dies. releasing amarillo scent all the way. there's a slight malty aroma breaking through but otherwise. mint

the hop flavor just can't cash the check the aroma is writin'. it's bigtime citrus

the alcohol is well hidden. mouthfeel is good for 10.5%

the brevity of my review above is an indication of the beer's dynamism. here's the summary: strong, minty hop aroma, muddled flavor, good mouthfeel BUT...

06-16-2007 05:23:28 | More by bruachan
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

Sampled May 2007
Pours with an almost brilliantly clear, amber hued, bright copper color that sits underneath a frothy, pale tan colored head that when poured vigorously produces a four-finger thick head. The aroma is nice and fruit with notes of apricot, orange peel, lychee, perhaps a touch of pineapple. Underneath the up front hop aromatics is a nice malt character, though you have to dig for it; dry, biscuit-like malt notes and notes of crushed soda crackers join a distinctively clean bread-like maltiness.

Despite its strength, the beer maintains a nice quaffable quality to it. It is a bit chewier than your average IPA, but has the requisite (at least in my mind) drinkability that is necessary for something with IPA on its lable. The beer has a light malt sweetness to it that perfectly accentuates the dominant, fruit driven hop character. Notes of apricot, candied orange peel, lychee and spectacularly ripened tangelos round out the fruit hop flavors. There is also a touch of herbal pine character here, that becomes more noticeable towards the finish and in fact melds with a sharp, slightly astringent bitterness. Even some malt flavors are noticeable; a light caramelized malt sugar note and a toasted-malty-biscuit flavor are definitely noticeable, especially in the finish.

This is perhaps not as hugely hoppy as some, but I really like how drinkable this Double IPA is. The malt lends a nice background of flavors, but ultimately supports the dominant hop character. In the end though, this could definitely use a bit more hop character, at least to satisfy the diehard hop heads out there.

06-13-2007 21:17:56 | More by Gueuzedude
Photo of

3.53/5  rDev -5.6%

On tap at The Blue Nile

Crystal clear, golden colored liquid. Small, creamy, off-white head. No lacing, good legs.

Pine and citrus greet the nose....and punch it! Not much else able to get through. A little earthiness and yeast.

Taste matches aroma - big hops. Citrus and grassy they linger well while drinking and into aftertaste. Crackery in the middle. Much more bitter than sweet, no DIPA/barleywine confusion here!!

Not as heavy in body as I would expect, maybe a medium - , it could be heavier. Carbonation seems too low. Not as dry as you would expect.

Overall, very tasty, but not top-shelf. Better DIPAs out there.

05-29-2007 17:50:16 | More by