Mojo Risin' Double IPA - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

good

poor

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: UnionMade on 02-12-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mojo Risin' Double IPA Alström Bros
PBoegel

3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

I really enjoy Mojo, so I was looking forward to this one. I was a bit surprised at first but with an evening to reflect on my notes, just taking Mojo up a notch and a half sort of makes everything fall into place here.

Served in a 23 oz fluted glass out of a 22 oz bomber.

I don't think this was a wow beer, but it was certainly an enjoyable and drinkable double IPA. In many ways it has more in common with the IPA style than Mojo itself, which while I really like lacks some of the true hop bitterness I look for in an IPA.

Risin' is wonderfully clean in appearance, straw gold with orange yellow highlights below a billowy white head, which dissipates rather quick in large part I would say due to the oily amarillo hops.

The balance on the nose was really intriguing, the floral citrus pine of amarillo shone big, but there was an unanticipated clean bready malt sweetness taken in. As it warmed the alcohol notes became a little more evident, but the thing that struck my mind in aroma overall was balance. Some ripe berry fruit and rose petal liven up as it warms.

Tastes were much the same with a bit more citrus malt flavor, the bitterness was far more pronounced than its younger brother and accentuated a bit by the alcohol in the finish.

The biggest ding I could give this beer would be the alcohol being detectable but it worked in such an interesting way with the aroma and flavor profile it would almost be a shame if it was reigned in. Mouthfeel was big and full and much more toward the clean dry bitterness I expect and want in an IPA style.

Flavors and aromas were not out of this world, but nevertheless I would enjoy the opportunity to have another pint of this brew.

03-11-2007 16:55:59 | More by PBoegel
Mdog

3.73/5  rDev -0.3%

Appearance: Gold, with nice carbonation and lacing.

Smell: Grapefruit rind, not too strong.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Starts out very creamy, which is kind of odd for a DIPA. The malts show up as a bready sweetness up front. The hops wait almost until swallowing to show up, then lend a citrus bitterness. Not extremely bitter.

Drinkability: Extremely smooth for a DIPA. The alcohol is very well hidden.

I like Boulder's Mojo, so I had pretty high expectations for this brew. They weren't entirely met, it was much more balanced than I expected. It's a good beer but I like several other DIPAs better.

03-10-2007 20:13:00 | More by Mdog
aaronh

4.2/5  rDev +12.3%

Fairly pale body. Much less orange than a typical IPA, slight haze and topped by the typical off white head. Aromas are pretty enticing, with strong florals and sweet alcohol notes, perhaps a touch of rosin as well. Flavor is very solid, with a nice balance between malt and hops. Hop flavors are tangerine and rosin, but the nice caramel malt flavors play against the bitterness very well. Mouthfeel is very smooth and supple. The beer is very approachable, and the drinkability is far too good for such a strong beer. This one could be dangerous.

03-09-2007 03:05:12 | More by aaronh
Teke0611

3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

Purchased a bomber after hearing raves about this one. Poured a great light copper color, with small bubbles forming a small yet lasting head. Could have used a bit more carbonation, imho. The hops aroma empowers the senses, followed with a slight hotness, but finished with a somewhat lingering metallic overtone.

At a shelf price of approximately double that of the normal Mojo, I have to pass on this one in the future. There are just too many good examples of the style to be had, for a much more reasonable price. Paid 6.99, btw, and the store I frequent has always been in line with the beer shelves. The report of getting this bomber at less than four bucks seems to indicate that my store's distributor is screwing my store's area bit too much in margins... Just my two bits. :)

03-08-2007 22:42:42 | More by Teke0611
kirok1999

4.58/5  rDev +22.5%

I was really curious and thought this was just a bomber of regular Mojo. Wow, was I wrong. Pours a clear honey golden with a huge clingy white head that lasts forever and clings like glue.
Smells incredible, grapefruit, grass, pine, sweet malts. Taste is the same but amplified. Smooth and creamy with a massive mouthfeel that makes it almost edible. Only bought one but I'll be buying more soon. I could drink this all night, and if I had more I would.

03-07-2007 01:28:08 | More by kirok1999
Estarrio

3.98/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours light, clear gold in color with a surprisingly small head. This review is from a bottle but the draft I had last night was very similar in appearance. Some sticky lacings line the sides of the glass.

Aromas include sweet malt, pine, caramel, orange and grapefruit citrus. The scents are enticing but not as big as I might have expected.

Sweet orange and pineapple mingle with the malt backbone to create a pleasant taste. Caramel and doughy flavors impart a welcome complexity. The strong citrus character balances well with bitter, pine hops. There is a hint of spicy, alcohol in the finish but not as much as the high ABV would suggest. The solid flavors are very smooth and balanced. Again, I expected a bigger malt base and/or a larger hop explosion but the result is a very drinkable brew. The ABV is dangerously, well masked.

Full bodied with ample carbonation for a pleasant mouthfeel. Drinkability is lifted by the smooth taste and muted alcohol taste.

This is a solid, drinkable DIPA. At 10.5%, this one can easily catch up with you.

03-05-2007 02:04:03 | More by Estarrio
akorsak

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

From Capone's. This is part two of my Boulder Beer Mojo horizontal tasting. The review for Mojo is http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/130/12322/?ba=akorsak.

A: The DIPA has a color identical to Mojo: amber orange with a slight haze. The head is thick and billowy, leaving an extensive trail of lacing.

S: The nose is an explosion of thick, juicy hops. Both citrusy tartness and piney oiliness appear here, the aroma makes the mouth water in anticipation.

T: The ale shows off a strong piney hop flavor on initial sip. That sharpness, while intense, does not last long and quickly fades away. Some citrusy hops, primarily sweet dry grapefruit rinds take its place but never really shine. Malts struggle to stand out against the hops but when they do, there is a caramel element.

M: The mouthfeel is not shy on hops upfront but those hops don't have a lasting impression. When they are strong, the piney hops are great.

D: The 10.5% is not apparent while drinking the ale. The hops are nice and I would definitely recommend this beer over the plain ol' Mojo.

03-04-2007 21:55:42 | More by akorsak
cbak999

4.93/5  rDev +31.8%

WOW is the first thing that comes to mind. Picked up a 22oz'er at my local liquor store. I had heard good things about this new release. I absoutely love Mojo, so I was expecting a lot....and Mojo Risin delivered!!! Pours a yellow-amber with 1 fingers head. The beer is packed with citrus hop flavor and very easily hides the 10.5% ABV. This is Mojo on steroids, and I highly recommend this. Boulder Beer nailed it!! This could be the best beer I've had.

03-04-2007 03:08:23 | More by cbak999
tavernjef

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

Clear medium gold with a huge towering cap of stark white, crunchy foam that lasts and lasts until finally dwindling down to a heavy skirting across the top and leaving tons of thick lacing scraped across the glass.

Aroma is zingy and bright with a zip full of zesty citrus calling out from the pour. Once breathing more it begins to take on a grapefruit grime and grit, a dose of dulling orange oil, and a powering paleness of old soggy pinewood. Hints of cardboard begin to develope as it sits more as does a bit of mango soap. Kinda flattens out and becomes muddled, but stays heavy on the nose.

Flavors emerge much as the aroma lingered into a muddled mess of dulling, paled citrus, and old soggy pinewood bitterness that is blanketed by a load of unnatural pineyness and unwelcome soapyness as it sits flat with cardboard, a twist of toasted grapefruit grease, and a hint of alkaline treated heat. A bit heavy, and not as bright and vibrant as I'd like to taste in a Dbl. IPA. It has its moments, no doubt, but its the overall intake that makes me wearysome as nothing seems to come into balance. Crunchy, greasy, piney, soapy, waxy, and bittered in old grapefruit. The more I drink it the less I like it. I'd prefer the other way round. Took some getting use to and still wasn't liking it as I went through the bomber.

This is a big body of a beer, heavy; greasy in some areas, crunchy in others; screaming unbalanced notions of flavors that aren't working well together. The Amarillo hops are overwhelmingly killing the rest of its subtlety and foundation. Again, this took a while to get use to, and still after a time of acceptance, it just wasn't working for me. Sorry, but my Mojo went nowhere with this one.

03-03-2007 23:37:50 | More by tavernjef
IPALOVER

4.95/5  rDev +32.4%

I am a hop head and big fan of Mojo IPA (it's my "session" beer during spring, summer, and fall). I was excited to see Mojo Risin', knowing I would probably just love it. I was not disappointed.

Hop heaven is right! Wonderful, citrusy hop fragrance and taste-- the alcohol in this one is SO well hidden. Not a ton of malt flavor, which is good-- I don't like syrupy sweet Double or Imperial IPAs.

The appearance was a little strange-- most likely the heavier ABV lead to quick dissipation of the foamy head (it poured well, but didn't leave a lace at all). I tried to overlook this, since it tasted so wonderfully!

Great Double IPA-- I will definitely buy a few more bombers. I could easily drink two of these in an evening-- yum.

03-03-2007 05:06:03 | More by IPALOVER
jjayjaye

Pours a clear golden amber color with a full finger fluffy white head. There is visible effervescence struggling to keep the head alive. Little lacing is present.

The aroma is an aggressive fresh hopped pine grapefruit.

It's a medium bodied beverage with an immediate and substantial hoppy ting. It finishes slightly dry with a lingering presence of the hops.

The flavor is fresh and complimented by the feel. I like the complexity and presence of underlying malt. It's refreshing and drinkable. Reminds me some of Divide APA. The taste diverts your attention from the 10.5%.

03-02-2007 22:37:27 | More by jjayjaye
Bierguy5

4.13/5  rDev +10.4%

22 oz. bottle, 10 % ABV. Very clear honey orange color, close to peach. Thick white head holds up very well. Grapefruit, pine and grassy aroma up front. Very intense hop aroma. Good malt character, seems of a lighter caramel flavor. Not much sweetness. Great amount of grapefruit and pine flavor. Good amount of bitterness, without being overdone. Some warming from the alcohol. Great sticky patches of lace on the glass. Medium body, with appropriate carbonation. I would have liked a bit more sweetness, but that is just my taste. Love the Amarillo hops. Very nice.

03-01-2007 13:11:12 | More by Bierguy5
merlin48

Kentucky

4.33/5  rDev +15.8%

22 oz bottle pours a clear golden peach body with a tall offwhite head. Frothy patch lacing is left on the glass. Aroma is hops! Grassy, earthy, spicy, and pine. Just a hint of caramel underneath. Full medium body with zesty carbonation and a pronounced hop zing on the tongue. Taste is dry and bitter. Little sweetness here. Amarillo hops are the star here. Pungently earthy, with notes of pine, grapefruit rind, and grassiness. Very nice to see a DIPA that foregoes sweetness in favor of the big hoppiness.

02-27-2007 16:01:29 | More by merlin48
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

4.75/5  rDev +27%

I really really like Mojo, so I really really really really like Mojo Risin' it's just the right combo of pure hoppiness for me great liquid hop juice that I highly recommend. Appears a copper amber with a alrge off white biege head leaves sporadic chunky lacing with each sip, and the head forms a biscuit layer that rises above the rim of my pint...I just want to take a bite. Aroma is heavy with Amarillo hops with loads of fresh cut grass and citrus peels gotta love the grapefruit edge some sugary sweetness is evident but the hops are the stars in this one, I couldn't quit smelling it Amarillo are my favorite hop variety and that maybe the reason for my infatuation. Flavor a barrage of hoppiness with mild pine cone, grapefruit peels flood the senses, very grassy finish all mixed with some creamy lucious malts mild breadiness light barely noticeable sweetenss just enough to balance and some nicely hidden alcohol here has well, pure hop juice I'm in love. Mouthfeel is big and frothy with a creamy textured full body that resinously clings to my palate hops and proteins galore, yet it's overall like a smoothie. Drinkability is incredible no 10 percent abv is even noticable I'm a fan, makes me want to try more Boulder brews I've had a few but I've kinda overlooked them as a whole this may force me to take a second look plus they claim to be CO's first micro (1979) good stuff.

02-27-2007 00:48:16 | More by WVbeergeek
ArrogantB

3.2/5  rDev -14.4%

I got a chance to try this one over the weekend and I was not impressed. The alcohol was well hidden and so was the flavor. The color was almost yellow and unlike any DIPA I've ever had. Not much smell going on with this one. maybe I screwed up my palate by drinking a Hopslam prior to this. Average in my opinion and not worth the $7 price tag.

02-26-2007 17:03:04 | More by ArrogantB
TurdFurgison

4.33/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured from a bomber I found in Columbus for $4.99. As a fan of both Boulder Beer and DIPA's in general, I was obligated to buy it.

Overall it was a good DIPA (as I expected) but not outstanding (as I feared). The appearance was all right, a little too clear and yellow for my tastes but with a thick foamy head which I like. The aroma was all hops, smelled a bit like Ruination. Not so much malt in the aroma or flavor, which is too bad. But the hops held the flavor on their own, kind of citrus-like and pine-needley.

Overall, good but not intensely great. Ruination is cheaper but Dreadnaught is more expensive. I'd buy this if you're middle of the road for price.

02-23-2007 23:52:09 | More by TurdFurgison
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.97/5  rDev +32.9%

Well here we go. I have been anxiously awaiting trying this for quite some time. Being the enormous fan of Double IPA's that I am, and a huge fan of Mojo IPA I figured something was gonna go right here, boy did it ever.

Poured a crystal clear orange amber with a huge pillowy frothy head. This faded in a few minutes and left behind a swirly film just barely covering the top of the glass. There was really no lace on the glass, and this is the only reason to know the score on appearence to a 4. The smell was off the hook! Deep citrus, grapefruit, and pinapple mostly dominated this one. Hint at maybe some apple? Warmed to reveal hints of pine nuggets which smelled like gold! Beuatiful full wonderful IPA smell, this is how I would want it to smell if I could make my own, wonderful! The taste, ahh where to begin with the taste. Hop Heaven! This was an easy 5 rating for me as it was exactly the way I wanted it to taste. Fnatastically dominated by the citrus hops. Pineapple, grapefruit, tangerine, and very very sweet. Not one, even remote hint at alcohol, which for 10%abv, is no easy feat. Big dry hopped finish rounded this out perfectly. I really could not have asked for this to taste any better. Extremely smooth, crisp, clean. Carbonation was perfect, no hint at oily, slick, or watered down taste. Such a sweet, sweet taste. Just gold. Best Double IPA I have ever had, hands down. I will search far and wide for as much as I can!

02-23-2007 23:51:40 | More by mikesgroove
SkinnyElvis

2.68/5  rDev -28.3%

Bought at Bauer's in Boston. Pours rather clear for a DIPA. No head whatsoever. Not much hops smell to it. I can't tell what hops are in it b/c the hops are faint. I don't like the taste at all. Mouthfeel is OK but could use more carbonation. Drinkability is hurt by the flavor. Not recommended. I am glad I only bought one.

Cheers.

02-23-2007 00:55:09 | More by SkinnyElvis
cbl2

3.23/5  rDev -13.6%

2/21/2007 $6.49 22 oz. 10.50% No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a clear light brown/orange topped by a faint wisp of white head.

Aroma:

Sticky jammy concentrated grapefruit juice and blisteringly bitter alpha acids.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

The love that was in the nose doesn't transition into the palate. Mild grapefruit flavors are present along with an offputting "bitter beer taste". Some odd biscuity notes are present as well.

My second experience with the Looking Glass series, and my second disappointment. This is more of an off English IPA than an American Double IPA. No balance exists between the hops and malt, with bad hops dominating.

02-21-2007 16:38:41 | More by cbl2
rickcampie

Rhode Island

3.78/5  rDev +1.1%

this offering is light in color almost a gold but a little yellow, clear clean, not much lacing, hoppy aroma stands out, mabey a liitle white pepper flavor on the finish, not a bad beer, i would accompany it with a lite meal. definatly not for people who dont like hops. but for the hop fan this is it.

02-21-2007 14:40:58 | More by rickcampie
RedChrome

Connecticut

4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

Crystal clear medium golden body. A pure white half inch head halved quickly before slowing to retain a few minutes. Tons of carbonation. Lacing is lots of tiny spots.

An earthy subtle quality behind a very strong citric hops aroma. Advertised grapefruit scent is definitely present. A light spicy blend of white pepper seems to finish every nose full.

A very light fruity hops taste is the primary flavor culprit. Spices are stronger in the taste, mainly the pepper. Malt makes an appearance in the back of the throat.

A nice feeling on the tongue comes mainly from the way the carbonation bursts on the side of the mouth as opposed to the viscosity.

A very strong choice in a field of great offerings. Pairs well with lighter fare, such as spinach salad. Well worth the try, but not the overall top in the style. Pick one up if you see it.

02-21-2007 07:49:10 | More by RedChrome
jaxon53

Connecticut

3.6/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served slightly chilled in a pint glass from a bomber. Poured a clear , light, golden copper color with about a half inch of bright white , thin bubbly head that had little in the way of retention. Left a small ring of lace around the glass. A generous amount of floral and bittering hops rule the nose. Also a plentiful Sweet and bitter hops. Other flavors of pine, grapefruit, and lemon zest followed, with a smooth , warming alcohol finish. Nose is better than taste in my opinion. Mouthfeel is full, and thick with some carbonation with decent flavor. Drinkability is above average. I would buy this beer again.

02-18-2007 23:30:11 | More by jaxon53
KBC1

3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

22oz bottle.

A- Real nice clear, golden color with a thin white head.

S- You can smell the hops as soon as your nose gets close to the glass...lots of citrus aroma.

T- It is obvious this thing if filled to the max with Amarillo hops, Lots of citrus, fruity flavor, but is backed with enough malty flavor at the end for balance. But, right after you get the wonderful hops and malty flavors there is a bad metallic after taste and it stays with you for a while.

M- For a Double IPA it is much lighter than most. I like the slightly lower carbonation.

D- It is a very light Double IPA so you could knock down several of these very easily. It has great aroma and taste, but the metallic after taste was the first thing I thought of when I started to review this beer. It is good, but not close to some of the Double IPAs I have had recently.

02-18-2007 04:28:03 | More by KBC1
udubdawg

Kansas

4.22/5  rDev +12.8%

22 oz bomber. Label says 10% ABV.

Pours golden/amber with a thin white head. Slightly hazy. Leaves tons of sticky lacing - nearly on par with the SN Celebration I had last night. Not bad.

Nose is pretty one-dimensional. Nice citrus and pine hop aromas, but not much else. Rating this as compared to other double IPAs, I'd say it is slightly above average. I can't reasonably compare this to another style. Not as complex as some, but if you like the style you will nonetheless find the strength and freshness of the hops smell heavenly. I didn't notice any alcohol.

Very very tasty. The orange juice comparison is spot on. Lots of hops - citrus, pine, and what I think is melon, very sticky. Sweet caramel and biscuit comes through soon after. I liked the taste significantly better than the Mojo IPA this is based on.
Quite sweet and I think this is best fresh - the sweetness could be too much with much age on this beer.
I should mention that there was an aftertaste that I'll call metallic that I didn't like. It lingered a while too, but was the only real flaw I noticed. Alcohol only noticeable in the stomach.

Carbonation was on the low side. Combined with the great taste, this made for a brew that I finished half of in a startlingly short amount of time. Seems like a little more carbonation bite might slow me down a bit, which seems appropriate for something so strong. Otherwise it it had a nice medium body, and despite the aftertaste I didn't find myself struggling one bit to finish this.

Drinkability could be considered off the charts...but I didn't like the aftertaste, and wished it was a bit more of a sipping beer because of the strength.

Good beer. Great price ($3.99) for all that you are getting - seems foolish to try to drink more than one. I bought two, quickly finished one, and went back for 2 more.

2/19 edit - found this today even cheaper - $2.89! Gotta be a mistake?
4/10 edit - I've gone through 6 bombers of this, and I've got more in the beer fridge - clearly the aftertaste isn't bothering me, and in fact I must say it never been as strong as the first bottle. Bumped up score from a 3.95.

02-17-2007 22:56:03 | More by udubdawg
bjohnson

4.2/5  rDev +12.3%

A: Pours a very clear golden amber color with a thin white head that has slight retention. A few bubbles rising to the top from the bottom of the glass. Fancy prison garb striped lacing.
S: Pine tar hits the face with a slap as if I'm standing in a pine tree forest. Grapefruit and other citrus aromas tingles the nose. Juicy.
T/M: Holy crap that pine tar is amazing and gets stuck on the tongue. Piney hop flavors sting the palate, but leave them refreshed as if you just had a swig of wintergreen gum. Light malt is in there and comes through in the background, but this is a hop bomb through and through. Very nice and smooth on the palate with an excellent bitterness into the finish. Decent balance between the malt and hop profile. Oily and juicy.
D: Extremely drinkable. High abv goes completely masked by the hop profile. I could drink this bad boy every day--it's that good. Very nice on tap to boot, if you get a chance to try it that way also.

02-15-2007 02:50:34 | More by bjohnson