Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Mojo Risin' Double IPA - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Mojo Risin' Double IPAMojo Risin' Double IPA

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: UnionMade on 02-12-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mojo Risin' Double IPA Alström Bros
2.98/5  rDev -21.2%

Pours clear copper with one finger white head. Pine aroma with sweet grapefruit. Slick mouthfeel with very little carbonation. Sweet up front with no real hop punch. Flat, bit of a dirty dry finish. Not as bad as Mojo but really not good. Not an old bottle either, as it says Enjoy By July 2013 and it is only April of the same year. Disappointed for sure.

3.54/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A-dark gold with a thick cream colored head

S-aged herbal hops. Medium strength. Smells older than it should

T-comes in with a very bitter flavor of aged grains and hops. It's actually an extremely bitter taste. The flavors themselves are...not wonderful. Has a more citrusy after-taste

M-creamy slightly watery carbonation with a watery finish

O-it's not a terrible IPA really. I'm not big on the flavors, but they do seem to become more complex as I drink it. It gets more and more easy to drink as well.

3.63/5  rDev -4%

Bottle > Pint Glass
A - Pours a nice gold yellow half a finger head, minimal lacing.
S - Herbs, grapefruit peel, mild malt, some spices, banana, and a hint of alcohol
T - Bitter hop attack with a spicy touch, lots of belgian style banana flavor here as well, some herbs in the finish.
M - Big alcohol and spice burn that doesnt really set well with me.
O - As it warms up it gets harsher, not the worst double IPA ever, but a far cry from good, but its still interesting for sure.

4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

Served in an Elysian tulip.

A: Poured a dark, dried apricot orange, very murky, and with a nice, sticky soft white head that stuck around for a bit.

S: This was a dead ringer for Dreadnaught if I've ever smelled it. Funky citrus, with quite a bit of sugar, along with roasted toffee and caramel.

T: Quite delicious. I particularly liked the "Flintstone Vitamin"-esque finish that made this one smooth mama jama. Lots of orange peel, particularly on the mid-palate.

M: A good bit of candy-coated booze, which I personally felt cut through the sweetness quite well. Still, lots of sugar here and you should brace yourself for that. Trust me though: It's worth it!

O: This was much, MUCH better than I was expecting based on the reviews here. You Dreadnaught fans are gonna love it.

3.53/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bomber, bottle dated 'ENJOY BY JUL 15 2013' poured into my Stone goblet...

A - Pours a crystal clear golden orange color, very bubbly like champagne with a finger of off-white color head that fades rather quickly. Nice collar of lacing.

S - Has some notes of grapefruit, and a little tinge of alcohol. On second smell, I'm getting a honey caramel malt.

T/M - The taste is a little boozey, with some citrus hop notes. Nothing really big, just balanced. There is a malty backbone, and a hoppiness in the end, but nothing that wows me. Light/medium mouthfeel, good carbonation.

O- This DIPA is meh. Nothing really as big or as bold as I would expect from a DIPA.

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

Here's the real history. True Anchor Steam is an original early American small brewery beer. However, Pennsylvania has served Yuengling is a small crafty brewery that's been around a helluva lot longer than Anchor and serves a helluva lot more interesting unique lager than Anchors lemony piss.

So where does Boulder Beer come in. Well Boulder Beer predates Sam Adams Beer. Although Boulder never made the big splash that Sam did. Boulder was an early new success and the beginning of a long line of new American Brewers who took on the giant USA crappy beer makers. I drank a Boulder beer back in 82 in downtown Boulder. Sam Adams never sold a beer until 1984! I surmise that this was genesis of the new American beer movement .

What about Mojo. Nice IPA. Reminded greatly of Duvel's Triple Hop in aroma and taste. I am not an IPA type of guy, but this was good to me. Thumbs up. A strong 3. Plenty of good flavor.

Drink to the sounds of some nice music that has come from the Boulder area. One in particular was a drummer who taught for a few summers at the Naropa Institute named Jerry Grannelli. I enjoyed was a Jerry's duet cd called Iron Sky.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter. Pours a clear copper, very little head. Smells of piney hops.

Taste opens up with piney goodness. Hops stay forward and I don't get much variation in the profile, just straight pineyness, not really citrus at all. A little biscuity around the middle, just enough malt. Finish is slightly bitter.

Mouthfeel is light carbonation, a little sticky. Overall this is a good DIPA. Good, not great. It's a nice beer to try if you're into the style. I'd say give it a shot, but it doesn't make it into my top 10.

3.72/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Got this as the mystery brew in a brewer's dozen from Boulder Beer. I'm the type of cerevisaphile that likes a pale ale done just right, but shudders at the thought of one not done right (which I'm unfortunately I'm discovering is more typical than those done right.) I'm always open to a pale ale that works for me, as a change of pace from other styles.

One particular pale ale type of brew that I found most enjoyable on a December ski trip to Colorado was Odell's Isolation Ale. My goodness, what a fantastic full bodied concoction. Unfortunately, it only seems to be sold there is Colorado; I would buy it in a heartbeat if it were available in my home region of the eastern Florida Parishes of Louisiana. With that said, I must say that this particular concoction from the folks at Boulder Beer does a fairly decent imitation of that ale - IOW, it's a pale ale that works.

One characteristic I find of pale ales that I don't like is the high level of bitterness; this ale has just the right amount of bitterness - enough to be "pale aley" without making the drinker cringe. While keeping that under control, this ale hits the palate with a rather delicious fire hose level of malt, somewhat like the Isolation Ale, but more raw (and powerful!) I find it a bit dissonant that the Alstrom Brothers hail the Isolation Ale, but judge this is poor.

The alcohol level is like double the normal, and yes, you feel it! Drinking this been reminds of the antibiotic regimen of azithromycin, in which 2 pills are taken the first day, followed by 1 per day thereafter. Drinking one of these would be like taking the double dose - so I could see starting off a session with this, and then moving on to other, more sessionable brews. I don't know how anyone could drink this as a session beer - it's just too much!

2.16/5  rDev -42.9%

I found this beer to be very disappointing. Full disclosure: I tried this about an hour after having sampled Sierra Nevada's HOPTIMUM, which was superb.

I can't quite make out the aroma. It is certainly strong enough, but not especially appealing. There is a slight, off-putting, "rotten fruit" quality to it.

The taste fares about the same. It's not horrible, but each gulp makes me cringe slightly. I guess I'm getting some hops, but I can't say that the taste sensation is pleasurable.

One positive is that the high ABV really doesn't exert itself very much.

I don't know anything about the brewery's other offerings, but this is one I would not willingly imbibe again.

If I had tried this BEFORE trying the HOPTIMUM, would my review have been more positive? Seriously, I really, really doubt it.

Draught @ Mad Mex: This one pours a clear, slightly orangish golden color. It had just a wisp of an off-white head, yet still left a little lacing. The smell is good. It has a big hop nose. Lots of grapefruit and some pine notes. Not too bitter, but lots of hop flavor. Some grapefruit and biscuit flavors. There is some sweetness buried in there trying to break free. Nice.

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a slightly hazy deep-amber color with a fairly large creamy off-white head. As it recedes it leaves some very nice streaks of lacing on the glass.

Aromas begin with piney and citrusy hops. Then I get some more depth of grapefruit, tangerine and pineapple hops. As it warms you can notice the underlying sweet, bready and slightly caramelish maltiness.

The tastes follow the aroma but with a wider maltiness. Pale malt sweetness, caramel and toasty bready malt flavors as well. The hops remain the same, piney and citrusy, with much less tropical fruits than were in the aroma. Slight alcohol kick as it warms.

The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with medium carbonation. Finish is slightly sugary, with an emergin ABV alcohol bite.

Overall, this is a very well-rounded and balanced DIPA, but the higher than normal ABV for the style makes the finish a bit too biting. This would be better served in a 12 oz bottle, maybe in a 4 pack so you could have one a night as opposed to being "forced" to consume a whole 22 oz. in one sitting.

3.78/5  rDev 0%

12oz bottle from the Potsdam IGA for 4$

Appearance - Clear copper colour with a huge size fizzy beige coloured head. There is a high amount of carbonation and there is some good lacing. The head lasted for around 5 minutes.

Smell - Malts, caramel, hops, grapefruit, guava

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste hops, malts, and caramel. There is also some pineapple mixed with guava and some grapefruit. It ends with a malty sweet aftertaste with a good dose of hop bitterness.

Overall - The best before date is today, so I don't have the freshest example. It's still a pretty good beer though. It has a bit of a strawberry/guava like fruitiness to it.. that I don't really care for. But the hops are potent and the booze is well hidden. I wouldn't go out of my way to have this again, but I'm glad to have tried.

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%

A friend left me a bottle of Boulder's Mojo Risin' Double IPA out of the four pack he brought over. I have had this beer before, but it's time to do formal review, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label doesn't look to bad and is a little eye catching, the name makes me think of Jim Morrison. It poured a nice slightly orange golden yellow color that took on a nice orange color when held to the light. It had four fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thick layer that stayed till the end and left lots of nice lacing. This is a very good looking DIPA, it had good color and a great head.

S- The aroma starts of with some sweet malts that impart some grainy, bread crust, and slight caramel aroma. After that comes some more sweetness right next to a whole lots of hops that impart some nice citrus aromas like orange, blood orange, grapefruit, and pineapple with a slight spicy aroma on the finish. This beer has a good balanced aroma, first I get the malts then I get the citrus hops, It smells similar to pineapple orange juice.

T- The taste is somewhat similar to the aroma, but it isn't nearly as citrusy and fruity. It starts off with some sweet malts that impart some grainy and bready flavors, but it seems like the caramel malts stick out the most but are very sweet. Next comes the hops which are mainly citrusy but the citrus is a little dull and I really can't pick up the different fruits like I did in the aroma and there's also floral and slightly spicy hops thrown into the mix. I hardly got any booze flavors which is pretty impressive for 10.5%. On the finish there's a medium amount of bitterness with a grainy and slightly citrus like aftertaste. I thought the taste of this beer was close to average for a DIPA, the flavors seemed a little muted, but the booze was hidden nicely so I think it's slightly above average.

M- Pretty smooth, a little oily, on the full side of being medium bodied and it had a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't bad and was pretty true to style, I think it's a little above average.

Overall I thought that this was an ok beer and a slightly above average example of an DIPA, this beer was headed in the right direction but the taste didn't have that extra wow factor that the great DIPA's have. This beer had pretty good drinkability, it went down smooth and the 10.5% wasn't that noticeable, but I still think one would be enough for me since the flavor doesn't do the best job at holding my attention. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both pretty nice and true to the style. What I liked least about this beer was the that the flavor didn't live up the aroma and have the extra wow factor. I don't think I would buy this beer again, but I sure wouldn't turn around, it's worth a try but I don't think it will be a favorite. I thought Mojo was a pretty average IPA, with Mojo Risin it's a little above average. the brewery seems to be around average, I have yet to be impressed with any of their beers, but I'm still willing to try more. An ok DIPA, but it can't compete with the best of the style.

3.28/5  rDev -13.2%

Light amber with decent clarity. High protein content in the fluffy head makes for serious stickage. 4.0

Malty DIPA aroma. Orange, grapefruit, and lemon with a ripe booze wafting in. 3.5

Too much malt, too much booze. Barleywine-esque with notes of candy caramel, alcohol, and some lemon, agave, and white grapefruit flavors. Lemony and toast-malty make a funny combo. Not my cup of tea. 3.0

A little harsh in its strength. Kind of thick with medium-high carbonation. Tingles in the mouth. Mild stickiness. 3.0

Not too impressive. Laboring through my 12oz pour. 3.5

3.95/5  rDev +4.5%

Appearance. Pours a lightly hazy amber-gold with 1.5 fingers of thick off-white head that lasts a while and leaves some decent lacing.

Smell. Sweet toasted malts, caramel, some pine, oranges, pineapple and grapefruits.

Taste. Sweet toasty malts, lemons grapefruits and pine. Lots of bitter grapefruit rinds in the end that last a while on the tongue.

Mouthfeel. Medium-full body with medium-low carbonation. A little bit of warm alcohol.

Overall. Nice great big dipa. The high abv is fairly well hidden and there's plenty of tongue numbing hops to satisfy.

3.86/5  rDev +2.1%

A: The beer is hazy orange amber in color and has some fine particles visible floating in suspension along with a moderate amount of visible carbonation that churns them around the glass. It poured with a one and a half finger high off white head that gradually died down and consistently left a thin head covering the surface along with thick rings of lacing coating the sides of the glass.
S: There are some aromas of citrusy hops in the nose (grapefruit really seem to stand out) along with some notes of caramel malts and pine resin hops.
T: The taste is similar to the smell, except that the caramel malt flavors are a lot stronger (as evidenced by the beer’s high alcohol content). There is a light amount of bitterness.
M: It feels medium-bodied and relatively crisp on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer is extremely drinkable for its strength because the alcohol is not perceptible in the taste. There is also a rather good balance between the malt and hops, although this beer doesn’t have as much bitterness compared to others in the style so it will fall short for hopheads.

3.68/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - orangish amber; thick, dense, light brown head; decent retention

S - bread, citrus, pineapple, alcohol

T - bread, alcohol, grapefruit, pineapple

M - warm, a bit boozy, good carbonation, medium to full bodied

The alcohol is a bit intense and slows down the drinkability considerably. The flavor overall is good. It's worth checking out. If the booze mellows out it'd be a more solid offering.

2.83/5  rDev -25.1%

Nose: Citrus and resin at first. Strong biscuity malts. Berry esters. Not super-fantastic.

Appearance: Perfectly clear copper with a tight, frothy head. The color appears a little thin.

Taste: Bitter and boozy. No real balance. Dark green and grassy and slightly metallic. The feel is thin and unsatisfying.

Overall: A disappointment. Just bitterness, but no dynamism. Glad I got a single and not the $17 4-pack.

3.03/5  rDev -19.8%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear, light copper with a one finger off-white head. Really good lacing and good head retention.

Smells very citrusy with grapefruit dominating. A little bit of caramel in there too.

Taste is very citrusy up front with some caramel before a strong bitterness takes hold. This bitterness is also drying making you want another sip. Alcohol is detectable through the nose but is not overwhelming. A little metallic taste too which is not real appealing.

Overall, a decent double IPA but far from the best I have had. I probably won't pick this up again.

3.8/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle, from a beer of the month club at Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, Virginia, into a snifter. Pours a nice light amber with a froffy white head that stays with the beer. Smells of nice floral and earthy tones, quite balanced. Tastes of sweet hops and malt, however with an alcohol overtone that really sticks out. Beer is very smooth and carbonation is great, however, the alcohol overtones leave a funky taste. Overall, a good beer.

3.38/5  rDev -10.6%

Got this one as an extra from mdfb79 - Thanks Dan!

Enjoy by date says Aug. 18, 2012
22oz to pint glass

A: Pours a darkened honey color that is leaning more towards brass. Brilliant clarity with lots of carb evident. Forms a perfect two fingers of bone-white froth that retains well. Eventually craters down leaving some clumsy webbed lacing upon the glass.

S: Aroma starts off with some nice dank florals and pine notes with some underlying citrus fruits. Like tangerine peel. A bit of solventy fusel alcohol exudes, taking over from there.

T: Man this one is boozy hot right off the bat. Distinct rubbing alcohol notes that are quite distracting but eventually do mellow out allowing the hops to assert themselves. Candied citrus fruits, pineapple, and evergreens. Nice fruity apricot. Upper moderate bitterness hits the top palate. Malt is just a confectionary afterthought.

M: Mouthfeel is warming for sure but somewhat lighter for such a big DIPA. Probably closer to medium in body. Upper level of carbonation. Nice drying finish.

D: Big and boozy. Not terribly bad but I found it difficult to discern some of the nice hoppiness through all of the fusels here. This brew was much nicer as I made my way through and some of that hottness resided. Malt is a nice supporting character.
Glad to have tried but would probably pass on picking this one up again.

4.03/5  rDev +6.6%

Got a growler of this at Party Town in Florence, Ky. Only $9.99!!

Pours a bright copper orange with a nice white head that is huge. Lacing continues to gain legs the whole glass.

Smells of beautiful hops, sweet malt, and citrusy. Very nice for a strong DIPA.

Great hop blast up front with notes of grass, lemon, grapefruit, and a sweet malt backbone that balances it out nicely. There is a bit of booze there, but it's to be expected in a 10.5% abv beer.

Mouthfeel is oily and bitter. Medium body with a great carbonation.

A nice DIPA that I will visit again on tap at this price. I would not pay the premium for a 4-pack due to the other wonderful beers out there that are superior and cheaper.

3.53/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a tulip
A: Transparent orange with a one-finger head
S: Surprisingly mostly malt. Smells somewhat sweet. A bit of orange peel/orange juice comes through towards the end from hops, but not nearly as much hop aroma as most DIPAs.
T: To me this tastes almost like a barleywine-IPA blend. Sweet malt, a bit of caramel, then a bit of a citrus hop bite towards the finish. Bitter finish.
M: Medium-bodied, a bit thick. Just a hint of booze.
O: I didn't mind this, but it didn't show how I was expecting. By no means a bad brew, though I I don't mind that I only bought one bottle.

2.99/5  rDev -20.9%

22 oz bottle poured into pint glass. Best by 7/24/2012.

Pours a straw color with just a touch of haze. 3-4 fingers of beautiful head that leaves heavy lacing down the side of the glass.

Smell is a dull honey and malt combination. Not much hop aroma. A little disappointing.

Definitely a malt-forward DIPA. Very sweet, and the hops taste a little dull. It's well before the "best by" date, but I've had this bottle in the fridge for at least 4 months - it shows. Fortunately, I like my beers malty. The bitterness that is here sticks around.

Thick mouthfeel - really coats the mouth. A little bite of alcohol in the aftertaste, but not bad for over 10%.

Not a bad DIPA, but hard to recommend when there are so many other choices available.

3.08/5  rDev -18.5%

Poured from a bottle into a tumbler pint, the beer is a bright, clear, light orange-yellow coloring with a tall, frothy, light, foamy white head that settles into a solid half an inch. Aromas of sugary sweet caramel malt in the backbone to support the light citrus and resiny hops balance. Flavors are heavily fruit based, with a strong presence of pineapple, mango, and grapefruit outweighing most of the hops character. Subtle spicy and fresh hops highlights, but overshadowed by the sweet character of the brew. Filmy lacing left along the glass, and the beer itself has a smooth, slightly bitter mouthfeel. The aftertaste is a tangy caramel sweetness with some of the fruit highlights subtly lacing around the palate. Cloying, richly sweet finish, with a mid-linger that turns slightly filmy. Interesting brew, but heavier on the malt profile than I personally like in my DIPA.

Mojo Risin' Double IPA from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub