Mojo Risin' Double IPA - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

poor

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: UnionMade on 02-12-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Mojo Risin' Double IPA Alström Bros
4.73/5  rDev +23.8%

I really really like Mojo, so I really really really really like Mojo Risin' it's just the right combo of pure hoppiness for me great liquid hop juice that I highly recommend. Appears a copper amber with a alrge off white biege head leaves sporadic chunky lacing with each sip, and the head forms a biscuit layer that rises above the rim of my pint...I just want to take a bite. Aroma is heavy with Amarillo hops with loads of fresh cut grass and citrus peels gotta love the grapefruit edge some sugary sweetness is evident but the hops are the stars in this one, I couldn't quit smelling it Amarillo are my favorite hop variety and that maybe the reason for my infatuation. Flavor a barrage of hoppiness with mild pine cone, grapefruit peels flood the senses, very grassy finish all mixed with some creamy lucious malts mild breadiness light barely noticeable sweetenss just enough to balance and some nicely hidden alcohol here has well, pure hop juice I'm in love. Mouthfeel is big and frothy with a creamy textured full body that resinously clings to my palate hops and proteins galore, yet it's overall like a smoothie. Drinkability is incredible no 10 percent abv is even noticable I'm a fan, makes me want to try more Boulder brews I've had a few but I've kinda overlooked them as a whole this may force me to take a second look plus they claim to be CO's first micro (1979) good stuff. (1,393 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -15.4%

I got a chance to try this one over the weekend and I was not impressed. The alcohol was well hidden and so was the flavor. The color was almost yellow and unlike any DIPA I've ever had. Not much smell going on with this one. maybe I screwed up my palate by drinking a Hopslam prior to this. Average in my opinion and not worth the $7 price tag. (345 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured from a bomber I found in Columbus for $4.99. As a fan of both Boulder Beer and DIPA's in general, I was obligated to buy it.

Overall it was a good DIPA (as I expected) but not outstanding (as I feared). The appearance was all right, a little too clear and yellow for my tastes but with a thick foamy head which I like. The aroma was all hops, smelled a bit like Ruination. Not so much malt in the aroma or flavor, which is too bad. But the hops held the flavor on their own, kind of citrus-like and pine-needley.

Overall, good but not intensely great. Ruination is cheaper but Dreadnaught is more expensive. I'd buy this if you're middle of the road for price. (675 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +30.1%

Well here we go. I have been anxiously awaiting trying this for quite some time. Being the enormous fan of Double IPA's that I am, and a huge fan of Mojo IPA I figured something was gonna go right here, boy did it ever.

Poured a crystal clear orange amber with a huge pillowy frothy head. This faded in a few minutes and left behind a swirly film just barely covering the top of the glass. There was really no lace on the glass, and this is the only reason to know the score on appearence to a 4. The smell was off the hook! Deep citrus, grapefruit, and pinapple mostly dominated this one. Hint at maybe some apple? Warmed to reveal hints of pine nuggets which smelled like gold! Beuatiful full wonderful IPA smell, this is how I would want it to smell if I could make my own, wonderful! The taste, ahh where to begin with the taste. Hop Heaven! This was an easy 5 rating for me as it was exactly the way I wanted it to taste. Fnatastically dominated by the citrus hops. Pineapple, grapefruit, tangerine, and very very sweet. Not one, even remote hint at alcohol, which for 10%abv, is no easy feat. Big dry hopped finish rounded this out perfectly. I really could not have asked for this to taste any better. Extremely smooth, crisp, clean. Carbonation was perfect, no hint at oily, slick, or watered down taste. Such a sweet, sweet taste. Just gold. Best Double IPA I have ever had, hands down. I will search far and wide for as much as I can! (1,447 characters)

2.7/5  rDev -29.3%

Bought at Bauer's in Boston. Pours rather clear for a DIPA. No head whatsoever. Not much hops smell to it. I can't tell what hops are in it b/c the hops are faint. I don't like the taste at all. Mouthfeel is OK but could use more carbonation. Drinkability is hurt by the flavor. Not recommended. I am glad I only bought one.

Cheers. (335 characters)

3.27/5  rDev -14.4%

2/21/2007 $6.49 22 oz. 10.50% No best by date.

Appearance:

Pours a clear light brown/orange topped by a faint wisp of white head.

Aroma:

Sticky jammy concentrated grapefruit juice and blisteringly bitter alpha acids.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

The love that was in the nose doesn't transition into the palate. Mild grapefruit flavors are present along with an offputting "bitter beer taste". Some odd biscuity notes are present as well.

My second experience with the Looking Glass series, and my second disappointment. This is more of an off English IPA than an American Double IPA. No balance exists between the hops and malt, with bad hops dominating. (667 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -1.8%

this offering is light in color almost a gold but a little yellow, clear clean, not much lacing, hoppy aroma stands out, mabey a liitle white pepper flavor on the finish, not a bad beer, i would accompany it with a lite meal. definatly not for people who dont like hops. but for the hop fan this is it. (302 characters)

4.08/5  rDev +6.8%

Crystal clear medium golden body. A pure white half inch head halved quickly before slowing to retain a few minutes. Tons of carbonation. Lacing is lots of tiny spots.

An earthy subtle quality behind a very strong citric hops aroma. Advertised grapefruit scent is definitely present. A light spicy blend of white pepper seems to finish every nose full.

A very light fruity hops taste is the primary flavor culprit. Spices are stronger in the taste, mainly the pepper. Malt makes an appearance in the back of the throat.

A nice feeling on the tongue comes mainly from the way the carbonation bursts on the side of the mouth as opposed to the viscosity.

A very strong choice in a field of great offerings. Pairs well with lighter fare, such as spinach salad. Well worth the try, but not the overall top in the style. Pick one up if you see it. (855 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served slightly chilled in a pint glass from a bomber. Poured a clear , light, golden copper color with about a half inch of bright white , thin bubbly head that had little in the way of retention. Left a small ring of lace around the glass. A generous amount of floral and bittering hops rule the nose. Also a plentiful Sweet and bitter hops. Other flavors of pine, grapefruit, and lemon zest followed, with a smooth , warming alcohol finish. Nose is better than taste in my opinion. Mouthfeel is full, and thick with some carbonation with decent flavor. Drinkability is above average. I would buy this beer again. (615 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -2.6%

22oz bottle.

A- Real nice clear, golden color with a thin white head.

S- You can smell the hops as soon as your nose gets close to the glass...lots of citrus aroma.

T- It is obvious this thing if filled to the max with Amarillo hops, Lots of citrus, fruity flavor, but is backed with enough malty flavor at the end for balance. But, right after you get the wonderful hops and malty flavors there is a bad metallic after taste and it stays with you for a while.

M- For a Double IPA it is much lighter than most. I like the slightly lower carbonation.

D- It is a very light Double IPA so you could knock down several of these very easily. It has great aroma and taste, but the metallic after taste was the first thing I thought of when I started to review this beer. It is good, but not close to some of the Double IPAs I have had recently. (853 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +9.9%

22 oz bomber. Label says 10% ABV.

Pours golden/amber with a thin white head. Slightly hazy. Leaves tons of sticky lacing - nearly on par with the SN Celebration I had last night. Not bad.

Nose is pretty one-dimensional. Nice citrus and pine hop aromas, but not much else. Rating this as compared to other double IPAs, I'd say it is slightly above average. I can't reasonably compare this to another style. Not as complex as some, but if you like the style you will nonetheless find the strength and freshness of the hops smell heavenly. I didn't notice any alcohol.

Very very tasty. The orange juice comparison is spot on. Lots of hops - citrus, pine, and what I think is melon, very sticky. Sweet caramel and biscuit comes through soon after. I liked the taste significantly better than the Mojo IPA this is based on.
Quite sweet and I think this is best fresh - the sweetness could be too much with much age on this beer.
I should mention that there was an aftertaste that I'll call metallic that I didn't like. It lingered a while too, but was the only real flaw I noticed. Alcohol only noticeable in the stomach.

Carbonation was on the low side. Combined with the great taste, this made for a brew that I finished half of in a startlingly short amount of time. Seems like a little more carbonation bite might slow me down a bit, which seems appropriate for something so strong. Otherwise it it had a nice medium body, and despite the aftertaste I didn't find myself struggling one bit to finish this.

Drinkability could be considered off the charts...but I didn't like the aftertaste, and wished it was a bit more of a sipping beer because of the strength.

Good beer. Great price ($3.99) for all that you are getting - seems foolish to try to drink more than one. I bought two, quickly finished one, and went back for 2 more.

2/19 edit - found this today even cheaper - $2.89! Gotta be a mistake?
4/10 edit - I've gone through 6 bombers of this, and I've got more in the beer fridge - clearly the aftertaste isn't bothering me, and in fact I must say it never been as strong as the first bottle. Bumped up score from a 3.95. (2,152 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +10.5%

A: Pours a very clear golden amber color with a thin white head that has slight retention. A few bubbles rising to the top from the bottom of the glass. Fancy prison garb striped lacing.
S: Pine tar hits the face with a slap as if I'm standing in a pine tree forest. Grapefruit and other citrus aromas tingles the nose. Juicy.
T/M: Holy crap that pine tar is amazing and gets stuck on the tongue. Piney hop flavors sting the palate, but leave them refreshed as if you just had a swig of wintergreen gum. Light malt is in there and comes through in the background, but this is a hop bomb through and through. Very nice and smooth on the palate with an excellent bitterness into the finish. Decent balance between the malt and hop profile. Oily and juicy.
D: Extremely drinkable. High abv goes completely masked by the hop profile. I could drink this bad boy every day--it's that good. Very nice on tap to boot, if you get a chance to try it that way also. (957 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +6%

Many thanks to bjohnson for this unexpected hand-off.
Pale orange in color, crystal clear with a full finger of bright, white head...leaving very little lacing as it recedes.
Nice aromas filled with grapefruit, bubble gum, some alcohol and very slight dose of sweet malt.
Taste is quite good...that alcohol takes a back seat until the last few swigs. Very bitter with citrus hops and just a hint of malt to sweeten things up to help save the pallet from being crushed by the bitterness.
Mouthfeel is thinner than many DIPA's I've tried, but does not fall short in any other category. Super fresh and well received after much anticipation.
Easy to throw back a bomber, but you'd be quite mad to continue with another...a few pints of this one and you'd be stuck on the couch asking someone to help get you up. Hmmm...that could be fun.
Thanks Ben. (853 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +5.5%

what beats sleet? beer, not just for hookers anymore.
It seems like everyone is brewing a dipa these days and for some reason I feel compelled to try them.. hmmm. here is the offering from boulder beer, their beers are hit and miss for me so hopefully this will sink my battleship...

eyes...
beautiful head construction, pure white as the driven crap falling on my car right now, 2 full fingers of head stand at attention and slowly take a bow, the procession of recession is arduous, like Hannibal leading his troops over the mountains, they left tracks in their wake and ditto this brew, in plain english the frikkin lacing is great, the hue is orange and clean with some carbonation apparent. this is very nice looking.. and packing in at 10.5% will hopefully melt my inner core on this wintery mix of an eve.

nose...
hops-allulah, hops-allulah, hopalulah, hopalulah, hopaluuah
This smells likes hops, sharp citrus and sharp pine, no real detection of malt, just hops stomping a mudhole in your ass. Kind of one dimensional but then again I am comparing it to say dreadnaught. As far as most DIPAs this is pretty average (although compared to other styles this would be crazy out there)... trying to average a base line for DIPAs is not the easiest thing in the world.

taste etc...
pretty bitter, a little sickly sweet thrown in there, it hangs on the edge of cloying but doesn't quite get to that station, pretty light in the mouth feel, the carbonation makes this happen here. the ABV only starts to chat once it has made the sojourn into your belly. very easy drinking. Not the over the top hop bomb as some DIPAs, it has "just enough". The flavor profile is pretty basic but the balanced nature of this is appealing.

verdict?
YOU'RE FIRED! just kidding...
This is a nice DIPA, not the best, by far not the worst. A nice and easy drinking DIPA. Check it out if you have the chance. (1,906 characters)

4.3/5  rDev +12.6%

Appearance: Lighter in color than expected - more of a golden rather than a deep orange. Actually lighter than the Great Divide Fresh Hop Pale Ale that my friend was pouring - surprising. Good head and lacing.

Smell: Aroma is of citrusy hops. Some sweet, caramel malt presence, but not quite as much as I'd expect.

Taste: Juicy, grapefruity hops flavor. Not quite as overwhelmingly in-your-face grapefruit as Smuttynose "Finest Kind" but getting there (better balanced, perhaps?). 10.5% alcohol is frighteningly well-concealed.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Avoids being syrupy. Well-carbonated.

Drinkability: High! This is good stuff. (641 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +17%

This is one exceptional brew from boulder. Pours a very light shade of golden, with a huge, creamy, stricky, white head. Smell is wonderfuly complex with floral and fruity hop notes as well as a deep malty backing. This beer is creamy smooth with the 10.5% abv not being noticed until it is even at room temperature. Balanced hops and sweet malt are the foundation of this amaxing brew. Slighty sweet fruit (mango, pear, slight granny smith, and citrus) along with a nice piney bittering hop presence are in the taste. This is a medium bodied brew for the style and yet it packs a punch filling up your mouth but never becomming cloying. This is just and awesome brew and by far my favorite of the boulders i have tried. Just be careful because this beer is so rediculously smooth. Drink well and prosper. (805 characters)

4.44/5  rDev +16.2%

A Mojo IPA taken to the next level according to the bottle amped up with double the malt twice the amount of Amarillo's oh yeah baby more Amarillo's.Poured into an impy pint glass a dull lighter golden with a pillowy white head that left a few broken rings of lace behind as it settled slowly.Well damn well perfect in the nose for me juicy citrus fruit really bursts out with big piney hoppy goodness with a detectable sweeitsh caramel malt base but the blessed Amarillo hop takes center stage no doubt.Awesome big hop profile on the palate a refreshing citrusy element along with the intense resiny,piney almost "raw" character makes for a beautiful hop union,a lighter caramel biscuit base is detected and holds firm to the hop onslaught.Boulder out did themselves here just a great DIPA it kinda has me back in "beer" mode again. (833 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +19.1%

Served in a tulip glass at Eli Cannon's on the Boulder Beer tasting night.
Clear and very light in color, a little darker than APA amber with a thin 1/4 inch of white head. Great lacing, sheeting down the glass. God head retention. The aroma is amazingly similar to fresh squeezed orange juice, the kind with tons of pulp you make yourself with a press. Very bright and citrusy, with some sugary sweetness and plenty of orange fruitiness. Toasty malt, with tons of hop aroma, moslty in the way of sunny citrus and fruity, floral quality. The flavor is rich, but incredibly drinkable, thanks to the insanely orange-like hop flavor. Not a ton of bitterness, the sweet malt doing its job keeping things together. The hops come through more as mounds of hop flavor than actual raw bitterness. Very rounded, with tons of character. Fairly full bodied, with softer carbonation. The only beer I've had that comes anywhere near to this flavor is the Breckenridge small batch IIPA. Very, very citrus driven, but this feels a bit sunnier and clean. Not even a hint of alcohol. This seriously drinks like a 7%er. If you enjoy orange juice, this is definitely for you. It's almost eerie how much it tastes like it.
I can't say I've ever had an IPA (or double) quite this sunny and bright feeling. It almost feels like you're drinking orange juice, and goes down just as easy. Amazing stuff. (1,380 characters)

Mojo Risin' Double IPA from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub