Cold Hop British-Style Ale - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Cold Hop British-Style AleCold Hop British-Style Ale

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 04-22-2007)

4.83/5  rDev +27.1%

This beer pours a slightly hazy copper color with a thick white head. The aroma of this beer is delicious. It smells like toasted malts and a spicy noble hop character. There is another aroma that is very interesting that I cant pin down. The taste is toasty, with a caramel sweetness. The bitterness seems to balance with the malt. There is a slight noble spicey hop flavor. The mouthfeel is medium light, with a decent amount of carbonation. This beer is very well balanced, and is also very drinkable.

4.75/5  rDev +25%

4.75/5  rDev +25%

4.65/5  rDev +22.4%

This has become one of my favorite beers as of late. It has a great, hoppy flavor that doesn't completely destroy my tastebuds. When I'm down to drinking a beer for a session this, and other Boulder beers, does the trick.

Poured into a pilsner glass Cold HOp has a pretty, subdued gold with a decent whitish head that dissipates quickly, lacing the glass for the duration of the drink.

A nice, crisp aroma, even if it lacks any truly distinguishing characteristics.

Pours easily down the gullet, llight on the tongue, and tastes great a tad on the colder side (I'm guessing 36-38ish).

4.58/5  rDev +20.5%

Interesting and enjoyable beer that reminds me of an ESB/English IPA/American IPA hybrid.

Some toffee and mineral water notes on the nose along with a nice fragrant hop aroma. Hops impart a floral impression first and then a bit of a sweeter citrus fruit note.

This is 6.5% but drinks like a mild almost. Never feels thin but very easy drinking. There is an underlying sweet toffee maltiness that complements the floral hoppiness perfectly. Not particularly bitter but there seems to be a small portion of west coast IPA style hops that lend a citrus note (think sweet mandarin oranges). The predominant hop feel though is english..perhaps east kent?....Then there is a unique hop taste that reminds me of something along the lines of Summit (the hop not the beer)...

Drinks like a 5.0 ABV beer....really slides down easily and with a lot of flavor....hard to keep this one in the glass.

A real interesting, tasty beer that will allows have a place in my refrigerator.

4.53/5  rDev +19.2%

I just tried this beer on a whim and i loved it. It has an extremely hoopy aroma to it. Pours a nice amber orange with an off white head. The inital taste is awesome. It is full of fresh hops, probably one of the best beers that i have had. They go down extremely smooth also. There is a high drinability to this brew. A must try.

Huge 4 finger head with insane retention all the way down the glass

Smell is of pale and caramel malts with a nice citrusy hop aroma. Smells like fuggle hops for aroma.

First of all there are two hop varieties in this beer. What are the golding and fuggle? I'm pretty sure fuggle is in there, but my english hop knowledge is not that great. Anyways a balance of pale and caramel malts sweetness balances out a nice citrusy hoppiness. Pineyness is very slight but there.

The mouthfeel is awesome on this beer. The carbonation is moderate and leaves a fullnesson the palate.

I could easily drink this all night long.

4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

A.- the appearance was a kinda cloudy amber with a weak head but decent retention on what little there was..good lacing as well.

S.-it has A very fruity and insanely hoppy aroma.

T.- The initial taste was delightfully hoppy with a after taste of fruit nectar...very good taste.

M.- very bubbly and crisp and slightly on the lighter viscosity for a ipa. very well balanced in the mouth

D.- drinkability is excellent i would recomend a six pack ..

very refreshing and well crafted overall..i would recomend this beer

4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours a nice copper colour with a decent sized frothy head that has moderate retention time and a fair amount of stickiness to it.

The aroma is hoppy, dirty. Hops are a bit pine-like and there's some citrus sweetness way in the back mixed with a hint of caramel malt. I also picked up a bit of rye for some reason as well.

The flavour hits on all aspects of the aroma. It is again hoppy and dirty all around. There's a bit of pine and citrus hop flavour in the middle and toward the finish that blends well with the overall harshness of flavour here. Caramel comes in at the finish of each sip for a nice sweet flavour blend. Again, I still picked up some rye. Is it actually in here? Who knows, but my tastebuds seem to think so. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a nice amount of carbonation. A refreshing crisp beer.

This one is nice all around. I wanted to not like it for some reason after the first few sips, but it grew on me, and fast. Flavour just gushes all over the place and there are no real flaws to be found. An easy recommendation.

4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

I have been wanting to try this style for a longtime. Having been unable to score a bottle of Meantime IPA I was happy to see this in my local Total Wine.
Poured from a 12 ounce bottle with no best by date into a pint glass.

A. Brilliant hazy yellow with a healthy head that rapidly dissipates and leaves wispy lacing.

S. The citrus hops were very apparent. Apricot, Tangelo, grapefruit. Hops much more bold than I was lead to expect from an English IPA. Some sweet bready malt noticeable.

T, Tastes great. Crisp hops without overwhelming the malt. Very much more balanced than the aroma lead me to expect. The malt is very evident in the finish.

M. Very smooth, Moderate to low carbonation but clean finish.

D. Very drinkable despite the 6.5% abv. This one could really sneak up on you. This is a good beer. Balanced yet still enough hops to satisfy the hardest hophead. I think I will explore more traditional English IPA's to see how the style holds up. I would really like to try this in a cask.

4.4/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Boulder Beer Company "Cold Hop"

Appearance- Dark bronze pour with a one finger head.

Smell- Hops and fruit pretty uniform smell

Taste- Sweet taste of grapes, apricots, roasted grain

Mouthfeel- Light body, decent carbonation, leaves with a clean, smooth finish.

Drinkability- A fantastic beer with a sweet, bitter taste. It tickles and tongue and is a great buy.

4.4/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Wow, my experience was almost the opposite as the last review. But that's one of the things I love about this place.

22 oz bomber.

I shared a bomber of this that I really enjoyed, so I bought 3 of my own to try this weekend. In my anxiousness to taste this beer I poured my initial bottle way too cold - straight out of an ice-cold fridge, the beer could only be called harsh. The nose was a mix of weird indescribable malt aroma, alcohol, and floral and bittering hops that seemed artificial and solvent-like. Harsh was the first word I thought of, and the same went for the flavor, and indeed for the mouthfeel - the initial carbonation, bitterness, and alcohol...blech. Then I had it again...

I have rarely had a beer that I enjoyed so much more at a warmer temperature. Pulled from a 54 degree beer fridge the pour was a light copper with excellent clarity. Head was big, frothy, off-white and after quickly subsiding to a cap left a pleasing spotty lace.

Once warmer the complexities of the aroma come out and subdue the harsh beast I noted earlier. None of the sweet fruitiness I am noticing was evident earlier. The alcohol has especially become muted (or rather the other aromas are less muted), but still makes itself known. Toasted malts are very evident. I'm not sure I'll ever love this aroma, but it is growing on me rapidly.

Caramel, and lots of it - interesting that this was nearly hidden when cold...or maybe I was too busy scrunching up my nose from the unpleasant experience to note the flavor - whatever. Floral nature hides behind the ample sweetness, which is a complete switch from my previous experience. Nice complexity. I'd call this fruity, though I'm not sure I could identify anything in particular. Finish is a short-lived and refreshing bitter with some piney hops also present. Basically "blech" has become "mmm, sweet and kinda spicy!"

Mouthfeel after a couple minutes of settling is a light bodied smooth crispness, the nicely bitter finish just adding to the drinkable nature. I find this beer incredibly refreshing and at $2.99 per 22 oz, I just bought a case. Not nearly as lethal as Mojo Risin, and (IMO) similarly tasty. I enjoyed a bottle tonite while making pasta...a less than ideal food pairing, you say? And is it really an English IPA? Who cares - I like this beer. I hope you do too.
I'm not sure how this one will do over time. I wouldn't quite call it balanced, but there is a lot of malt that makes itself known in this brew. If the hops should fade over time, I may find the sweet fruitiness not as unpleasant, and could grow to dislike the malty aroma if the hops wasn't as present. But I doubt I'll have trouble finishing my bottles while fresh.

4.38/5  rDev +15.3%

Another one I picked up as part of a mixed pack the other night. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, I enjoyed this one with dinner tonight. Consumed on 01/06/2009.

The pour was quite nice. A light amber in color with good clarity to it. Nice carbonation could be scene bubbling up from the bottom of the glass throughout the session, with a very nice head of white across the top.

The aroma was loaded down with fresh hops. Rich notes of citrus just coming up out of the glass. I did not think this one would be this rich. Really very well done. Lots of pineapple and grapefruit in here as well. Light sweetness to it really wrapped it together quite well, as I leaned in for the first sip I was very suprised by ust how hoppy this one was. Crisp, clean, and definitely impressive. Light floral hops ruled the day here, with a lingering bitterness long into the finish and a delicate grapefruit flavor that would not quite. Easily sessionable I had no issue with throwing this one down and then looking for more.

Overall a very solid and very underated IPA. I would love to try this one on tap. It was as solid an IPA as I have had recently and was a pleasure to drink.

4.38/5  rDev +15.3%

I bought this at John's Marketplace from the cooler. I definately dig trying new stuff from Boulder Beer, even if it can be hit-or-miss. This one is a hit!

Pours a deep copper with continual small effervescent bubbles and a creamy white head that leaves some slowly receding lacing down a .5L Paulaner stein.

Very nice floral hop bouquet with slight ashy, crisp dark carmelized toffee deep in the back.

Normally I'm not a big fan of English IPAs, but this has a fantastic blend of mineral hop bitterness, slightly ashy carmel, rounded, slightly husky breadiness and some grassy hop flavors. Very earthy and pleasant. A nice balance of flavors, and well balanced against the aroma.

Very neutral mouthfeel. The creaminess never gets too heavy because of the fine conditioning, but is very full, even at cooler-than-celar temperature serving.

Overall, a fantastic beer for any occasion. Its crisp enough to slake a thirst, but substantial enough for a cooler day, outside or in. Well done! Cheers!

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

Bright orange in color & realizing this is my first EIPA. Frothy pillow-like off white head leaves thick lacing down the mug. Malt heavy in the nose with an excellent dose of fruity & spicy hop presence in the backdrop. Malty goodness on the tongue - bready fresh malt sweetness meets slightly spicy & citrus fruit hops. Almost peppery in the finish combined with the sweet tang from the malt and hops works nicely. Well balanced beer here, I would drink this all day long. Time to get a few more of these, and I highly reccomend you do as well!

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

Pours a nice white/light copper color into my glass with a two-finger head.

Aroma is full of a lot of biscuit malt and only a mild hop bitterness in the nose. Sounds right.

Biscuit malt makes its' presence known in this ale followed by a mild hop bitterness that doesn't overwhelm the taste buds. It's kind of sweet but it feels to the style.

Mouthfeel is full of sweet, lingering biscuit malt and hops. Beer goes down well without incident.

I really like this ale. It has a really good balance between malt and hops that is typical of an English IPA. It's fresher than some other examples I've had that came across the big pond. Pick it up.

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

Orange gold pour with very active carbonation. Nice tall 2-finger head with excellent retention and nice lace.

Light citrus nose with herbal notes. Orange and some grassiness.

Orange citrus comes out initially and really develops as the glass warms. Also getting an herbal earthiness, contributed by both hop and malt. Weak caramel backbone. Yeasty.

Feel is very creamy with a hint of fizz, only at the end.

Extremely easy to drink and 2-3 of these at a time would make for a good night.

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A - Clear amber with a not-too-large but steady head.

S - Nose has some floral notes, a bit of caramel and ripe fruit.

T - On the sweet side. Lots of fruit and a rich floral hoppiness. Not particularly bitter but lots and lots of flavour. Actually, the bitterness does catch up at the end, but definitely takes some time to build up.

M - Smooth, resinous body.

D - Really nice rich, delicious brew.

Cold Hop British-Style Ale from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub