Cold Hop British-Style Ale - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Cold Hop British-Style AleCold Hop British-Style Ale

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: Todd on 04-22-2007)
LXIXME

New Mexico

03-20-2014 21:01:24 | More by LXIXME
jasonjlewis

Huge 4 finger head with insane retention all the way down the glass

Smell is of pale and caramel malts with a nice citrusy hop aroma. Smells like fuggle hops for aroma.

First of all there are two hop varieties in this beer. What are the golding and fuggle? I'm pretty sure fuggle is in there, but my english hop knowledge is not that great. Anyways a balance of pale and caramel malts sweetness balances out a nice citrusy hoppiness. Pineyness is very slight but there.

The mouthfeel is awesome on this beer. The carbonation is moderate and leaves a fullnesson the palate.

I could easily drink this all night long.

12-18-2007 03:15:53 | More by jasonjlewis
sixerofelixir

02-27-2013 19:14:12 | More by sixerofelixir
brheuer

03-18-2013 00:09:30 | More by brheuer
deaconsmith

4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

A.- the appearance was a kinda cloudy amber with a weak head but decent retention on what little there was..good lacing as well.

S.-it has A very fruity and insanely hoppy aroma.

T.- The initial taste was delightfully hoppy with a after taste of fruit nectar...very good taste.

M.- very bubbly and crisp and slightly on the lighter viscosity for a ipa. very well balanced in the mouth

D.- drinkability is excellent i would recomend a six pack ..

very refreshing and well crafted overall..i would recomend this beer

09-27-2008 20:22:40 | More by deaconsmith
SixpointJMH

4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours a nice copper colour with a decent sized frothy head that has moderate retention time and a fair amount of stickiness to it.

The aroma is hoppy, dirty. Hops are a bit pine-like and there's some citrus sweetness way in the back mixed with a hint of caramel malt. I also picked up a bit of rye for some reason as well.

The flavour hits on all aspects of the aroma. It is again hoppy and dirty all around. There's a bit of pine and citrus hop flavour in the middle and toward the finish that blends well with the overall harshness of flavour here. Caramel comes in at the finish of each sip for a nice sweet flavour blend. Again, I still picked up some rye. Is it actually in here? Who knows, but my tastebuds seem to think so. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with a nice amount of carbonation. A refreshing crisp beer.

This one is nice all around. I wanted to not like it for some reason after the first few sips, but it grew on me, and fast. Flavour just gushes all over the place and there are no real flaws to be found. An easy recommendation.

09-10-2007 03:54:52 | More by SixpointJMH
MarkSCCOT

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev +16.6%

I have been wanting to try this style for a longtime. Having been unable to score a bottle of Meantime IPA I was happy to see this in my local Total Wine.
Poured from a 12 ounce bottle with no best by date into a pint glass.

A. Brilliant hazy yellow with a healthy head that rapidly dissipates and leaves wispy lacing.

S. The citrus hops were very apparent. Apricot, Tangelo, grapefruit. Hops much more bold than I was lead to expect from an English IPA. Some sweet bready malt noticeable.

T, Tastes great. Crisp hops without overwhelming the malt. Very much more balanced than the aroma lead me to expect. The malt is very evident in the finish.

M. Very smooth, Moderate to low carbonation but clean finish.

D. Very drinkable despite the 6.5% abv. This one could really sneak up on you. This is a good beer. Balanced yet still enough hops to satisfy the hardest hophead. I think I will explore more traditional English IPA's to see how the style holds up. I would really like to try this in a cask.

09-18-2008 02:36:33 | More by MarkSCCOT
PubliusII

Connecticut

4.4/5  rDev +15.8%

Boulder Beer Company "Cold Hop"

Appearance- Dark bronze pour with a one finger head.

Smell- Hops and fruit pretty uniform smell

Taste- Sweet taste of grapes, apricots, roasted grain

Mouthfeel- Light body, decent carbonation, leaves with a clean, smooth finish.

Drinkability- A fantastic beer with a sweet, bitter taste. It tickles and tongue and is a great buy.

11-29-2010 00:36:05 | More by PubliusII
udubdawg

Kansas

4.4/5  rDev +15.8%

Wow, my experience was almost the opposite as the last review. But that's one of the things I love about this place.

22 oz bomber.

I shared a bomber of this that I really enjoyed, so I bought 3 of my own to try this weekend. In my anxiousness to taste this beer I poured my initial bottle way too cold - straight out of an ice-cold fridge, the beer could only be called harsh. The nose was a mix of weird indescribable malt aroma, alcohol, and floral and bittering hops that seemed artificial and solvent-like. Harsh was the first word I thought of, and the same went for the flavor, and indeed for the mouthfeel - the initial carbonation, bitterness, and alcohol...blech. Then I had it again...

I have rarely had a beer that I enjoyed so much more at a warmer temperature. Pulled from a 54 degree beer fridge the pour was a light copper with excellent clarity. Head was big, frothy, off-white and after quickly subsiding to a cap left a pleasing spotty lace.

Once warmer the complexities of the aroma come out and subdue the harsh beast I noted earlier. None of the sweet fruitiness I am noticing was evident earlier. The alcohol has especially become muted (or rather the other aromas are less muted), but still makes itself known. Toasted malts are very evident. I'm not sure I'll ever love this aroma, but it is growing on me rapidly.

Caramel, and lots of it - interesting that this was nearly hidden when cold...or maybe I was too busy scrunching up my nose from the unpleasant experience to note the flavor - whatever. Floral nature hides behind the ample sweetness, which is a complete switch from my previous experience. Nice complexity. I'd call this fruity, though I'm not sure I could identify anything in particular. Finish is a short-lived and refreshing bitter with some piney hops also present. Basically "blech" has become "mmm, sweet and kinda spicy!"

Mouthfeel after a couple minutes of settling is a light bodied smooth crispness, the nicely bitter finish just adding to the drinkable nature. I find this beer incredibly refreshing and at $2.99 per 22 oz, I just bought a case. Not nearly as lethal as Mojo Risin, and (IMO) similarly tasty. I enjoyed a bottle tonite while making pasta...a less than ideal food pairing, you say? And is it really an English IPA? Who cares - I like this beer. I hope you do too.
I'm not sure how this one will do over time. I wouldn't quite call it balanced, but there is a lot of malt that makes itself known in this brew. If the hops should fade over time, I may find the sweet fruitiness not as unpleasant, and could grow to dislike the malty aroma if the hops wasn't as present. But I doubt I'll have trouble finishing my bottles while fresh.

05-31-2007 00:50:50 | More by udubdawg
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.38/5  rDev +15.3%

Another one I picked up as part of a mixed pack the other night. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, I enjoyed this one with dinner tonight. Consumed on 01/06/2009.

The pour was quite nice. A light amber in color with good clarity to it. Nice carbonation could be scene bubbling up from the bottom of the glass throughout the session, with a very nice head of white across the top.

The aroma was loaded down with fresh hops. Rich notes of citrus just coming up out of the glass. I did not think this one would be this rich. Really very well done. Lots of pineapple and grapefruit in here as well. Light sweetness to it really wrapped it together quite well, as I leaned in for the first sip I was very suprised by ust how hoppy this one was. Crisp, clean, and definitely impressive. Light floral hops ruled the day here, with a lingering bitterness long into the finish and a delicate grapefruit flavor that would not quite. Easily sessionable I had no issue with throwing this one down and then looking for more.

Overall a very solid and very underated IPA. I would love to try this one on tap. It was as solid an IPA as I have had recently and was a pleasure to drink.

01-07-2009 02:06:01 | More by mikesgroove
unklesyd

Oregon

4.38/5  rDev +15.3%

I bought this at John's Marketplace from the cooler. I definately dig trying new stuff from Boulder Beer, even if it can be hit-or-miss. This one is a hit!

Pours a deep copper with continual small effervescent bubbles and a creamy white head that leaves some slowly receding lacing down a .5L Paulaner stein.

Very nice floral hop bouquet with slight ashy, crisp dark carmelized toffee deep in the back.

Normally I'm not a big fan of English IPAs, but this has a fantastic blend of mineral hop bitterness, slightly ashy carmel, rounded, slightly husky breadiness and some grassy hop flavors. Very earthy and pleasant. A nice balance of flavors, and well balanced against the aroma.

Very neutral mouthfeel. The creaminess never gets too heavy because of the fine conditioning, but is very full, even at cooler-than-celar temperature serving.

Overall, a fantastic beer for any occasion. Its crisp enough to slake a thirst, but substantial enough for a cooler day, outside or in. Well done! Cheers!

06-06-2007 02:17:42 | More by unklesyd
hoptualBrew

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

Bright orange in color & realizing this is my first EIPA. Frothy pillow-like off white head leaves thick lacing down the mug. Malt heavy in the nose with an excellent dose of fruity & spicy hop presence in the backdrop. Malty goodness on the tongue - bready fresh malt sweetness meets slightly spicy & citrus fruit hops. Almost peppery in the finish combined with the sweet tang from the malt and hops works nicely. Well balanced beer here, I would drink this all day long. Time to get a few more of these, and I highly reccomend you do as well!

01-13-2012 03:42:20 | More by hoptualBrew
Brad007

Vermont

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

Pours a nice white/light copper color into my glass with a two-finger head.

Aroma is full of a lot of biscuit malt and only a mild hop bitterness in the nose. Sounds right.

Biscuit malt makes its' presence known in this ale followed by a mild hop bitterness that doesn't overwhelm the taste buds. It's kind of sweet but it feels to the style.

Mouthfeel is full of sweet, lingering biscuit malt and hops. Beer goes down well without incident.

I really like this ale. It has a really good balance between malt and hops that is typical of an English IPA. It's fresher than some other examples I've had that came across the big pond. Pick it up.

05-07-2009 20:42:45 | More by Brad007
beer2day

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

Orange gold pour with very active carbonation. Nice tall 2-finger head with excellent retention and nice lace.

Light citrus nose with herbal notes. Orange and some grassiness.

Orange citrus comes out initially and really develops as the glass warms. Also getting an herbal earthiness, contributed by both hop and malt. Weak caramel backbone. Yeasty.

Feel is very creamy with a hint of fizz, only at the end.

Extremely easy to drink and 2-3 of these at a time would make for a good night.

08-25-2010 01:31:09 | More by beer2day
allergictomacros

Ontario (Canada)

4.35/5  rDev +14.5%

A - Clear amber with a not-too-large but steady head.

S - Nose has some floral notes, a bit of caramel and ripe fruit.

T - On the sweet side. Lots of fruit and a rich floral hoppiness. Not particularly bitter but lots and lots of flavour. Actually, the bitterness does catch up at the end, but definitely takes some time to build up.

M - Smooth, resinous body.

D - Really nice rich, delicious brew.

10-20-2010 23:20:37 | More by allergictomacros
plaid75

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured a medium copper hue with a one and a half finger creamy white head. There was good lacing and retention.

The smell featured light grapefruit and apricot aromas with a soft sweet grain.

The taste was very well balanced and soft around the edges. A light citrus hop melted perfectly into the light doughiness.

The mouthfeel was of average fullness.

Overall a very good and very well balanced ale. Highly drinkable.

10-18-2007 02:00:19 | More by plaid75
Purposive

Kansas

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

I picked this one up as soon as I saw the label. I love the other "Looking Glass" beers from Boulder that I've tried (Mojo and Hazed & Infused), so I figured this one would be good. The label says "British-style ale." Let's see how British it is.

Poured from an attractively-labeled bottle into a big weizen glass with medium off-white head. Head lingered for a few sips before settling into a thin layer, leaving pretty good lacing along the way. Nice golden color.

Smells fresh and hoppy, but not as citrusy as some other IPAs. Maybe Boulder really did back off the super-citrus American hops from their other pales. Can't wait to try this.

The taste is...excellent. Strong, pine hops are immediately present, but earthy malts come through to balance them out nicely. As the smell indicates, the hops aren't overly citrusy -- this must be the "British-style" coming through. Alcohol is clearly present, but not off-putting. I'm guessing this is around the 6.5% mark, but it isn't listed.

Overall, this is a fantastic beer. It's balanced perfectly, but gives a good hop blast for the hop-heads. Doesn't have the sweet, heavy aftertaste of some IPAs, making it a great session beer. Can't wait to drink the other five.

09-12-2007 02:33:03 | More by Purposive
pokesbeerdude

Colorado

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

Picked up a six pack of this at Northridge in Laramie, WY. About $7.

A: Poured a nice orange/gold color, slightly hazy and with an off white head about half an inch thick that reduced down to a film with some clumps of loose lacing on the edge.

S: big time earthy hop character, nice caramel, candy sugar aspect too, quite sweet underneath the initial hop bite, hops are quite piney, and earthy. very aromatic.

T: earthy hops really take over the whole mouth on this one, nice caramel sweetness underneath, but the hops dominate this one, excellent bitterness. lots of earthy undertones. this one is tasty.

M: pretty thin, nice carbonation, and a relatively clean finish, a little lingering bitterness.

D: this is a great session beer, smooth, and tasty, and really goes down easy, another great beer from Boulder.

01-10-2009 00:50:31 | More by pokesbeerdude
RblWthACoz

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

Had on-tap at The Blind Tiger in NYC.

Pours a foggy orange amber. Nose is very piney hops with that sweet character to it. Flavor is very hopped, but in a noticeably English style. I feel like it purposefully subdues itself and never gets out of hand, as many American versions of the style might. The hops present themselves and then an earthy bitter tone hits you. Feel has a bit of carbonation to it. The liquid is thick, though it gives a thick, slick, and syrupy texture on the mouth. Overall very good. Definitely one for the hop heads and possibly one for the real ale folks out there too.

01-01-2008 02:08:41 | More by RblWthACoz
spike882

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

Slight amber body with a nice head the diminishes quickly. Very floral in the nose and also in the mouth. Seemed a little highly carbonated but was a nice contrast to the hoppiness. Very easy drinkability and not very filling at all. Would definitely reccomend. Not the greatest IPA I ever had but worth the three bucks or so. Another nice beer to add to their repertoire.

10-24-2008 00:10:49 | More by spike882
Bitterbill

Wyoming

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

This pours from 22oz bottle(bottled July 1 as per small stamp near base of the bottle) a clear gold with a healthy head of foam that shrinks fairly quickly....some spotting in the middle and some lacing hugging the side of my glass.

The smell has some hoppy and sweet notes along with some bread and some fruit. Nice nose.

The taste on first sip and I get some good caramel malt and bread followed by some grain and a mild hop character. Tasty. After a few more sips, there's more hoppiness in the flavour but it's balanced nicely by the malt and it really works well for me. I don't have to have a hop bomb in every IPA that I drink!! ;^)

The mouthfeel is medium, the carbo is medium, and it finishes slightly sweet. Good stuff and it's going to be no problem at all finishing the bomber. I recommend it!

09-26-2007 23:14:08 | More by Bitterbill
vette2006c5r

South Dakota

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

This beer pours a amber color with very small head, no lacing. It fortinalty taste and smells the same. A nice hoppy bite, but not overpowering. Finishs very smooth, and has a very dry flavor. Overall a great beer very enjoayble, very surprised, never heard of this comapny before.

10-13-2010 00:55:03 | More by vette2006c5r
beerphan

on-tap -> pint

Pours an oranged copper with a smallish white head that leaves some light rings of lace. Carbonation appears medium-high.

Nose: Piney hops, some sweet caramels

Crisp medium body. A nice combination of sweet caramel malts and fruity hops. Medium lingering bitterness finishes clean. As the pint warmed the fruity hops took hold and stood up with pineapple and some peach like flavors.

I really good ipa that seems more american than british. The pub had this labeled as a 'strong ale', which i new was wrong, but i wouldn't of tabbed this of the british style. I really enjoyed this brew.

09-15-2007 13:19:02 | More by beerphan
WaveRebel51

Nebraska

4.33/5  rDev +13.9%

Starts out with an orange-like hue. The piney, floral aroma of hops dominates. Again, with the taste, you get a lot of piney, floral, citrusy hops, but with a nice malt balance at the back end. Going by the aroma, you would think that the hops would dominate but this beer is pretty balanced out by the malts on the back end. It is very drinkable but beware I'm not sure of the abv, but this does pack quite a kick.

08-24-2007 17:46:07 | More by WaveRebel51
Stigs

4.28/5  rDev +12.6%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass.

A - 1 finger of offwhite/cream colored foam, leaves impressive lacing on its somewhat quick departure. kind of a generic but clean...hazy light gold color.

S - very impressive floral hops, all the yummy pine, grass, and grapefruits poke in at times. actually making my mouth water. well done here.

T - more of the floral, but somewhat subdued. tangy malts help carry the pretty pleasant hop profiles.

M - somewhat watery, but nicely carbonated.

D - only had one wanted more. could be dangerous at 6.5, as i could have no problems putting a big dent in a six pack of this.

11-07-2009 04:50:19 | More by Stigs