Cold Hop British-Style Ale - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Beer added by: Todd on 04-22-2007

« first ‹ prev | 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next › last »
Ratings: 456 | Reviews: 304
2.59/5  rDev -31.7%

Received this bottle in my Birthday BIF box from mdfb79. Thanks Dan.

Poured into a New Holland Pint glass. Pours a chill hazy light amber with a light tan head of about a fingers worth of foam that drops quickly leaving barely a wisp around the edges.

Aromas of floral and earthy hops, some fruity esters from the yeast. Some citrus as well. White wine fruitiness as it warms.

Flavors of pine and citrus, hints of mint, malt, and there's an off flavor here as well. Good level of bitterness. A white wine aroma and flavor is popping out as it warms. Not pleasant. Checked the ingredient list, includes some german nobles in the kettle (inappropriate in my mind) and dry hopped with Nelson Sauvin. Never experienced this variety before. A little research shows it has a "gooseberry" flavor, which I can name now, as well as a white wine “fruitiness.” I'm not a fan.

Mouthfeel is medium, good level of carbonation.

Overall, this isn't working for me. I'm old school when it comes to english styles, which means english hops and estery yeasts. The german nobles and NZ hops to me are wholly inappropriate. I enjoyed the experience of trying something new, but did not like this beer overall.

2.44/5  rDev -35.6%

Pours honey-golden with a medium, ivory head and good coarse lacing. Beer is hazy to cloudy with lots of bubbly carbonation apparent. Nose is generally lacking.

My real complaints come when I sip. This ale is WAY too sweet. The Brits love their bitters, and bitter this beer just ain't! The taste is almost sickeningly sweet, generally fruit and honey flavors, with a faint hint of bitterness. Mouthfeel is cloying and sticky, slightly conteracted by the carbonation.

Overall, this beer may turn out to be a down-the-drainer, while I return to the fridge for a hop fix. As far as I'm concerned, this is not true to style and a huge, barely drinkable disappointment. Perhaps the six-pack I bought was a bad batch or was somehow mis-treated.

2.15/5  rDev -43.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

a- bottle poured into a pint, one fingers worth of off white head, hazy honey gold coloring.

s- bright hopy nose, slight sweetness here.

t- right off the bat, very sweet. uncharacteristicly sweet for an ipa - slmost tastes like straight sugar was added. odd aftertaste here as well, not very appealing.

m- medium, smooth.

d- not great, i'm not sure about this one. i couldn't get over the sweetness here - not drinkable.

1.74/5  rDev -54.1%

Pours a slightly hazy orange amber with a fairly nice initial head that fades to a thin cap but leaves some nice lacing. Smells very herbal and of fresh hops that have allowed to decompose slightly. Unfortunately that same wilted hop herbal flavor is there for me in the taste. I just can't get over that slightly back of the vegetable crisper flavor. Don't know if its the type of hops or hops allowed to spoil, but I just can't drink this. Mouthfeel is adequete,appropriately carbonated ans smooth, but I just can't get over the flavor.

« first ‹ prev | 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next › last »