Follow our progress ...

YOUR RATING = None |

Cold Hop British-Style AleCold Hop British-Style Ale

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub
Colorado, United States | website

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Added by Todd on 04-22-2007

firstprev| 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next → last
Reviews: 304 | Ratings: 467
3.13/5  rDev -17.8%

22oz bottle poured a hazy cooper-orange with an off white ½ inch head that quickly dissipated into more of a film. The laces where apparent early on but nothing to write home about.

The nose seemed mild, with slight citrus, pine and floral notes.

The taste was not what I expected. It was more of a pear, bready thing going on with slight lemon citrus. The finish was dry and the malt tones rise with the temperature of the beer.

Both the mouth and carbonation where slightly under medium.

I was not all that impressed with this beer. It was drinkable but with so many other options out there I would not buy it again.

It is possible that this beer was old. Was purchased at a quick mart and have not seen this beer local in some time.

3.72/5  rDev -2.4%

The Cold Hop was recommended to me because I like hoppy beer, but I don't find this beer to be that hoppy. It is fairly tasty though. It first is tastes like a pale ale, then kind of hoppy and like an IPA, and it leaves a stout-like taste in my mouth. It is good, but with all the beers out there, I don't think I will purchase it again.

4.32/5  rDev +13.4%

I picked this one up as soon as I saw the label. I love the other "Looking Glass" beers from Boulder that I've tried (Mojo and Hazed & Infused), so I figured this one would be good. The label says "British-style ale." Let's see how British it is.

Poured from an attractively-labeled bottle into a big weizen glass with medium off-white head. Head lingered for a few sips before settling into a thin layer, leaving pretty good lacing along the way. Nice golden color.

Smells fresh and hoppy, but not as citrusy as some other IPAs. Maybe Boulder really did back off the super-citrus American hops from their other pales. Can't wait to try this.

The taste is...excellent. Strong, pine hops are immediately present, but earthy malts come through to balance them out nicely. As the smell indicates, the hops aren't overly citrusy -- this must be the "British-style" coming through. Alcohol is clearly present, but not off-putting. I'm guessing this is around the 6.5% mark, but it isn't listed.

Overall, this is a fantastic beer. It's balanced perfectly, but gives a good hop blast for the hop-heads. Doesn't have the sweet, heavy aftertaste of some IPAs, making it a great session beer. Can't wait to drink the other five.

firstprev| 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next → last