Kinda Blue Blueberry Wheat Beer - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: Rayek on 06-20-2010

2.33/5  rDev -25.3%

This beer pours a hazy reddish-golden color. T head is half an inch in height, and recedes quickly into almost no lacing. The aroma is of artificial fruit with a nasty tartness. The taste has the same artificial fruit notes, but enough malt to keep it from being as nasty as the aroma. It is still a bad flavor though. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Overall, this is a bad beer that I will not drink again. (433 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance. Pours a clear golden amber with almost a finger of bubbly head.

Smell. Toasty wheat, some grassy hops and a hint of blueberries.

Taste. Sweet toasted wheat and caramel. A little tangy blueberry and grassy hops.

Mouthfeel. Medium body with medium, crisp but still smooth carbonation.

Overall. Pretty sweet, and not in a good way. Liked the blueberry but wished there was a little more. (401 characters)

3.14/5  rDev +0.6%

Bottle marked "Enjoy by Jun 21 2011." The pour is copper-orange with no head and barely a ring. The aroma was subtle with wheat, grass, and blueberry. Nothing overwhelmed me on the nose. The body was about medium. The taste had limited wheat and blueberry with a thin hopped ending. It was OK. (293 characters)

3.96/5  rDev +26.9%

Note: This review is for a bottle that was only a few days removed from being delivered to the BD. Based on the other reviews it looks like beer has a short shelf life, so beware if you're looking to try it.

A – Beautiful crystal clear amber. White head settles low and sticks around through the drink.

S – Blueberry maple syrup.

T – Soft, bready wheat into blueberry. The fruit note has a processed edge to it, more jam-like than fresh, but still pleasant. Nice balance, and not overly sweet.

M – Medium body with a nice carbonation that helps balance out the fruit in the profile.

O – A solid beer. I was pleasantly surprised by the balance, body, and smoothness. I’d have to say it’s the best blueberry beer I’ve had to date. (750 characters)

2.96/5  rDev -5.1%

Mostly clear (just a slight haze) dark golden color. This beer is interesting, but not particularly good. Its aroma is a mix of blueberry cereal and wheat malt. It's a grainy, cereal-like, dryish smell. The blueberry is prominent,but seems artificial. The taste is semi-sweet, with the berry flavor consistent throughout. Nearly no bitterness. Medium-low heft, with an simple finish. Slight acidity creeps in at times, but it's definitely a secondary characteristic in this beer. Average. (488 characters)

3.16/5  rDev +1.3%

Thick and lumpy lace that leaves a chunky pieces of ring lace. The liquid is nearly clear and is dark gold/light amber color.

Sour with plenty cereal smell. No blueberry aroma.

Rather mild flavor. Sour berry flavor behind the malted wheat. The body is relatively rich, the carbonation is modest. It's drinkable but bland. (323 characters)

2.81/5  rDev -9.9%

- from the notes
22 ounce bomber bottle
A - clear amber with a little foam but not lasting.
S - not finding too much of anything in the way of bluberries.
T - much like the smell there's just not much there. Hints of berries and certainly some malts but not as much as I want from a fruit beer.
M - light and fizzy.
D - sure because you won't notice it.
would not buy again. (374 characters)

2.83/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

What an upset. I was really looking forward to this after trying my first Blueberry Wheat by BluePoint and all the solid flavors i got from that one.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a snifter. The color and clarity where both on point. Liked the high SRM for a wheat ale.

The nose gave off a nice sweet, malty, blueberry tones and when aerated the wheat really came through. So far the beer showed promise... then i tasted it.

The start wasnt bad, a light sweet malt indicated by the SRM, followed by light blueberry flavor, which all in all was not bad, but then at the finish, it just died, no hop no blueberry. It Dropped off and all i was left was with a wheaty stale taste in my mouth.

So, unfortunately this beer left me feeling, "Kinda Blue"! (755 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -1.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Look - light amber in color, clear, with about half a finger's worth of light khaki-colored foam that dissipates slowly.

Smell - malty, less blueberry or even berry in general aroma than I was expecting.

Taste and Mouthfeel - again, less blueberry or any kind of berry type of taste than I was expecting. Musky malt taste in general, with little transition. Texture is pretty well-balanced, but leans a little more toward the watery side.

Overall - not a bad beer, but a little boring. Nothing wrong in the taste, but nothing interesting. (583 characters)

2.92/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into an imperial pint glass. It's darker than a typical blueberry beer, kind of a pale amber color with a finger worth of bubbly white head.

it has a grassy earthy feel to it but the blueberries are there. Nothing remarkable but not bad.

The taste is weak unfortunately. There is still an earthy flavor to it but a little funny aftertaste and not much blueberry on the tongue. I've gotta say I'm a little disappointed.

The mouthfeel is fine, it's not really thin and has good carbonation.

Overall, mediocre. (543 characters)

2.76/5  rDev -11.5%

Wife went with me to the liquor store once. Saw this and had to get it!

A- Slightly hazy golden color. Small white head to it.

S- Don't get much of any blueberry smell like I was expecting. Sweet smell from the malts. A little yeast at the end too.

T- Hmm where is the blueberry? Very subtle taste but nothing at all what I expected. A lot sweeter than I thought it would be. Bittering at the end.

M- Lighter body with decent carbonation to it.

D- Wasn't really what I was expecting. I didn't think blueberry would be punching me in the face, but a little flavor from it. Much to sweet for my taste when choosing a beer. If we get another she can have the whole bottle! (678 characters)

22oz bottle. Pours a hazy light copper orange with a smallish white head that quickly diminishes to a thin collar that leaves a little lacing.

The aroma is wheaty malts and astringent blueberries.

The flavor is sweet blueberries with some tart notes with some wheaty malt. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and very watery.

Overall, everything about this is very subdued. It's not really offensive, but not very good either. (424 characters)

3.65/5  rDev +17%

This refreshing example from the oft maligned "fruit and vegetable" category turned out to be just the ticket for a warm late-summer evening out on the porch. Kinda Blue pours a perfect golden color shining from within like a cursed ancient Egyptian death mask. Hyperbole? Perhaps ... and considering that this brew is built around an American wheat, I normally would like to see less clarity--since I like my wheat beers unfiltered--but damn, it is pretty.

The best part of this brew is the bouquet it throws. Blueberries are present, but not overwhelming or cloying. The hop profile makes itself known up front--yet upon tasting, it strikes a perfect balance with the grain bill.

All-in-all, Kinda Blue is a nice mellow American wheat with natural blueberry goodness. Points off for being filtered, though. (810 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a transluscent amber color with some bubbling and an almost non-existant head or foam.

Toasted malts and a little adjunct skunk aromas. Maybe even a little blueberry fruitiness. For the most part, this beer smells pretty generic of any American amber ale.

Toasted Government issue white bread crust upfront. You might get some blueberry notes in the middle. And the finish is more Obama bread. This is a very generic, mediocre tasting beer. Especially since this is a "Blueberry wheat beer."

Not that I expected a super blueberry-esque tasting beer by any means, but its hard to tell there's blueberries in this beer at all for even the most discerning palate.

Not a terrible beer, but not one I will buy again or reccomend. (737 characters)

3.12/5  rDev 0%

On-tap at Flying Saucer served in a free Boulder Beer pint glass what I see as more like kinda dark pink. The beer is topped with a thin barely there head that quickly diminishes to nothing. Aroma is blueberry extract in front of sweet malts. The taste is a sweet almost syrupy blueberry juice with slight sweet malts. The beer is light bodied, but the sweetness gets in the way. I have to chalk this one up as almost a gimmick beer, it's one I won't be having again. (467 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

Picked this up in the bomber because I like most of Boulder's beers and I'm not quite ready for the Octoberfests that are filling up the shelves now. This didn't have a look of a wheat beer but nevertheless, this fit the bill nicely for a late summer evening!

As others have commented on here, this poured quite a bit darker than I imagined. It probably has to do with the blueberry flavor and this was also a lot clearer than I was first led to believe. The head was nice but there wasn't a lot of lacing and if you're looking for hops, keep moving along. There's blueberry here, of course, with just a big of sugar and crystal malt flavors and a creamy, easygoing mouthfeel. This isn't strong but it's not artificial-tasting either and for me, that's all I ask for in a fruit or vegetable beer!

5.50% ABV? No sweat - this is easy to down and I probably could have had the whole bottle in a sitting. While this isn't as invigorating as the Hazed and Infused or the Cold Hop, this is a decent choice for the warm weather which has refused to go away this summer! (1,064 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +19.6%

22oz bottle $3.49 (not a bad price these days). The smell had a very, very subtle hint of blueberries. The color was dark orange with a creamy head which carried well to the mouthfeel, nice and creamy. The flavor was weird, not really wheaty, a bit of berry but not much. Overall it is quite easy to drink. (306 characters)

2.5/5  rDev -19.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bomber with freshness date of Sept 21 2010 on the bottle. Poured into a goblet with a very generous amount of head. The only real scents here are of the wheat. Most of the flavor comes from the wheat, roasted and toasted flavors. Drinkable nature is smooth. No real blueberry flavor here just some small background sweetness. I have had this brew on draft more than once and was not all that impressed. I am glad I bought this to try in the bottle, but next time I will pass. (489 characters)

3.56/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Filtered, light honey in color, a giant whipped, sparkling, eggshell head. Fantastic head retention, and I mean really good. Tons of carbonation which for the style looks very inviting on a hot day. I like my wheats unfiltered and that is the only thing keeping this from a 5, but I would have no problem with someone else giving it one. It's an American pale wheat for christ sakes. After 5 minutes the head looks just like a freshly poured Guiness.

Pale malt with a spicy character that suggests some nice american-german hybrid hops. A very pale aroma with a hint of something like acetaldehyde, or should I say a hint of sour green apple, but not in a bad way... emphasis on LIKE. Smells like a good lager to me. No discernible blueberry, though that might mean no artificial blueberry anything, which I could get behind.

Tastes to me like an acetaldehyde-ed lager. Is it the blueberry sugars eaten by the yeast? Not too bad, but that's what I get. Hops I change my guess to a continental Saaz, maybe American or European. Malt profile is subtle and a little toasty.

Not as full bodied as I would have thought. I was expecting that carbonation bit which I usually don't care for, but something about this brew made me want it.

I'm a little confused with this one. Tastes to me like a continental pilsner. I don't really get any blueberry, which as I've said may be from the yeast eating the sugar and that is not bad actually. I would rather that then artificial crap. And why is this not under the fruit beer category? I might have to write a beermail... (1,564 characters)

3.13/5  rDev +0.3%

Should I put on Miles when I drink this? Nah, I think I'll roll with Pantera.

The look is a nice golden pale orange-red with a white head and a little lacing, sort of uncharmingly transparent.

The aroma does pick up some of the blueberry, but mostly it is a yeasty one with little depth.

The flavor begins a little cloying, too sweet, and doesn't deliver on the promise of a blueberry flavor that persists. The fruity flavor is very subtle and manages to allow a finish a little bitter and sour. Average.

A good creamy feel and well balanced carbonation.

Too sweet for my tastes, but managed to take expectations of a fruit beer and make it more into a wheat with a slight bitterness. However, sort of a chore to drink due to the sugars. (742 characters)

3.77/5  rDev +20.8%

Has a strange look. It's straw, but with a dark hue. After you see it's a berry flavored beer, it makes sense. On top is a huge pillow of white bubbles.

Smells like a normal wheat beer. You note some flowers and the wheat, but also something different. The berry scent is delicate and muted, not obnoxious like other berry beers.

The flavor resembles the smell. There is an obvious berry presence, but it's very mild and only slightly noticeable.

Some good stuff going on in the mouth. It's gently sweet from the wheat, and moderately bitter from the hops, but everything is balanced by the sweet tartness of the berries. It lacks the carbonated bite I expected, and almost has a creaminess to it.

Highly drinkable. It's not too sweet and you won't get sick of the sweetness after one bottle. It has a nice taste and the ABV of 5.5 means you don't have to worry about going to jail after just a couple. (906 characters)

3.85/5  rDev +23.4%

Got a bomber for 6.25 since it's the only way to try this beer. Bastards.

A - Light amber in color with a light head that quickly diminishes. Pretty good.

S - mostly slight wheat with very mild berry smell. Smells of what could be a good beer.

T - Meh it's a pretty good wheat beer with mild fruit flavors. Not as bitter as most fruit beers and no way cloying as some fruit beers so it really is pretty mild. Overall pretty good.

M - Duh. It's light to medium bodied like most wheat beers.

D - Overall I really don't love it. Sure it's beer. Sure it's blackberry. But when you love big beers this is not enough fruit flavor or ABV to keep me interested. Pass. (666 characters)

3.53/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours clear bright copper hue with a fine bubbled white head forming thick. Lacing dwindles down leaving behind speckled lace on my sierra nevada hop tulip imperial pint glass. Aroma has very tame blueberry earthiness aout it, almost like the skins and stems make more of a presence than actual fruit sugars. A nice sharp wheat breadiness with hints of blueberry. We're so used to bastardized artificial flavorings and aromas like Leinenkugel summer wheat where they claim it smells like blueberry, I tend to think of fruity pebbles instead of actual fruit. As this one warms up it gives m a bit of Blueberry jam smell. Flavor is an American pale wheat with hints of subtle blueberry showing up on the palate, again a very earthy dry slightly bitter blueberry not your sweet candy artificial type. Does it work well with the base pale wheat? Not really the fruit additions don't make this explode with flavor and the base beer seems lackluster by itself, very middle of the road. I guess I'm just appreciative that they didn't make it with artificial flavoring. Mouthfeel is light on carbonation body is light to medium not as light as some pale wheats, the fruit at the end starts to weigh on my palate. Drinkability overall is decent a nice summer refreshing pale wheat from the folks in Boulder I would have been happier with a hoppy wheat instead. (1,351 characters)

2.66/5  rDev -14.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Golden amber with a fizzy white head that builds to about one finger. Retention is decent and some fine, spotty lace is left on the glass.

S- Fruit notes atop a weak almost adjunct malt backbone. Strength is decent but there is just a lack of anything too interesting, fades to something like a macro.

T- Sort of what I expected. More bready/malty than anything with a slight hint of fruit that doesn't really appeal. Reminds me of Magic Hat #9, just not as good. Earthy hop notes are present as well. Sort of ends up tasting like throat lozenges to some extent.

MF- Light, decently creamy body with high carbonation stinging the palate. Very slight bitterness.

DB- It's nice to have a below average beer once in a while, keeps you on your game. Heavy on the malt with a slight fruit flavor that ends up feeling like cough syrup. No interest in finishing a whole bomber, flavor just keeps fading with time... (915 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -26.9%

Okay, I really like proper, quality made fruit beer. And I love blueberries. So it's not like I'm dumping on this for being a fruit beer. But I tasted it next to Marin Bluebeery (which rocked), so sorry Boulder Brewing...

A - looks a little copper and light for being a blueberry ale

S - smells artificial and a little medicinal

T - Tastes metallic and medicinal, reminds me of taking cold medicine as a kid, not a lot of blueberry flavor, just a hint of some unidentifiable fruit flavor.

M - Medium bodied with not much going on as far as tannin or balance.

D - I poured mine out pretty quickly and went for the Marin instead (which tasted like fresh blueberry muffins!) (676 characters)

Kinda Blue Blueberry Wheat Beer from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub