1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hazed & Infused - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Hazed & InfusedHazed & Infused

good

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 10-12-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazed & Infused Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,658 | Reviews: 854 | Show All Ratings:
RBorsato

4.93/5  rDev +34.3%

Dark gold, copper color with a big beige head, sediment floaters, good carbonation, and lace clumps. Big citrusy hop aroma; grapefruit. Awesome fruity flavor and awesome citrusy grapefruit character. Leans big to the hoppy side. Light bodied and airy from the high carbonation but not overly bitter from all the hops.

Excellent with awesome hoppiness !! and I'm not really a hop-head.

Label states: "Limited Looking Glass Series" & "Unfiltered dry hopped ale infused with Crystal hops"

per M.J. notes: 3 grains and 5 hop varieties. Crystal and Centennial combination for dry hopping

Bottling Date (?): AP0303 (on neck)
Tasted: 05/15/03

05-20-2003 11:13:17 | More by RBorsato
ppoitras

4.88/5  rDev +33%

12oz bottle from nvsblman as part of BIF 19. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed 1/2" pillowy off-white head above the clear amber brew. Head lasts very nicely, with heavy, sticky lacing. Aroma is pungent green hops, with a sweet malt undercurrent. Taste melds the seemingly fresh hops character with the biscuity malts almost perfectly. Don't really know how it could be better. Mouthfeel is super-smooth, and drinkability is trememndous as well. A great one here.

11-27-2005 17:11:14 | More by ppoitras
ancientelixir

4.85/5  rDev +32.2%

This is my second six pack, I enjoyed this one. Into a pint glass, came up with about a quarter inch head that dissipates fairly quickly. Appearance is golden/amber. Smells like wheat, and the sweet and sour of an apple. I got a little hop bitterness and some sourness upfront. It has some roasted malt flavor, I like how it mingles with the sourness. Has a light fruity and nutty finish. Super crisp and clean. Easily drinkable. I bought this again because of the clean flavor, and at just under 5% alcohol, I can have a few and it wont go to my head too much. Lately
I have been taking a break from the imperials, and this is one of the the lowest alcohol beers with a good body and flavor.

04-18-2009 23:08:05 | More by ancientelixir
TastyTaste

4.83/5  rDev +31.6%

Deep copper, slightly hazy, with a white head. Smells fruity , citrusy, bitter, reminds me almost of the scent of the stickiest of the icky. The taste initially has a fruity, malty taste that changes to the delcious bitterness of hops and grapefruit. A very unique beer, haven't had anything like this. Almost an IPA, almost tastes like a fruit beer. Definitely try this if you can find it.

02-07-2004 16:28:07 | More by TastyTaste
kronik

Arizona

4.83/5  rDev +31.6%

Hey, first timer here, and seeing as how I'm only 21 take this review as you will. This has been one my favorites since I started to shop over at Trader Joe's. It has a very nice 'hoppy' aroma as soon as you open the bottle, and it gets stronger as you pour . The taste is also very fresh and 'hoppy', it is like someone just picked the hops and barley and tossed them in the brew. I pick-up a six-pack of this every time I try a new brew, as a bonafied back-up in case I dont like my new selection. You will not be dissapointed in this one if your choose to pick it up.

01-14-2006 21:37:10 | More by kronik
TheManiacalOne

Rhode Island

4.83/5  rDev +31.6%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep amber color with a large foamy off-white head that fades very slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is very hoppy with sweet compliments of citrus and caramel.

T: The taste is very well-balanced, with a strong hops bitterness, smoky caramelized malts and the sweetness of citrus. Although the hops flavor is the more dominant one, all of the flavors compliment each other quite nicely. The after-taste is hoppy, bready and slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, very clean finish.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, nice representation of style and of the best APA’s that I’ve had, I could drink a lot these, it’s the perfect beer to drink all evening long.

05-31-2007 03:29:58 | More by TheManiacalOne
bobfinkenaur

4.83/5  rDev +31.6%

Had this last weekend at Capones in Norisstown, PA. It was mid afternoon and a lower alcohol/session beer was called for. The freshness of the hop flavor balanced by the slight malty sweetness made this one of the most drinkable beers I have had in a long time!

01-21-2010 04:35:32 | More by bobfinkenaur
Murph

Arizona

4.8/5  rDev +30.8%

Pours a beautiful, slightly hazy peach color with a decent beige head that sinks but stands at a thick ringing film. Nice mellow malt aroma as the brew warms up. The bulk of the nose is made up of blossoming floral and somewhat piney hops. Nice juicy aroma. Smooth malt body that holds the brew up all the way through with just the slightest diacetyl notes in the background. Just enough piney and floral hop bitterness to not go over the top like so many APAs do. Not that I am complaining about over the top APAs because I love them but this is truly a very nicely balanced version of the brew. Perfect medium body that provides for a great ease of drinking but enough to make you feel like you are drinking something. Smooth malt characteristics make this glide across the tongue. This was truly a joy to drink and I would love to be able to find this on draught, or even better, on cask. Maybe someday I will make it to Colorado. Until then a huge thanks go to Vitriola for sending this one my way in our Santa exchange.

12-28-2002 18:20:05 | More by Murph
Gundecker7856

4.78/5  rDev +30.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is the nectar of a goddess!

I primarily drink IPAs, but will ocassionally drink this beer when I need a change of pace.

Very drinkable, nice head, mellow smell, very pleasing taste. This is the type of beer that you can drink a lot of a beer that you can keep in the fridge and have every day.

I highly recommend you at least try this APA.

03-24-2013 22:04:03 | More by Gundecker7856
neonbrown82

Nebraska

4.75/5  rDev +29.4%

I wasn't really expecting a whole lot from this brew, but I picked it up out of novelty factor since I was back home in Omaha, looking for a new Pale Ale, and I loved the Dazed & Confused movie. But lo and behold, upon the first sip I decided I would immediately have to advocate this to any of my friends I came into contact with the rest of the night.

The appearance is typical of an APA, so from at the time of the pour, I was at least content that the beer looked great with a golden amber hue and a very lively, frothy white foam cap. From the smell I knew I was in for a citrusy treat, but I had no idea the hoppy, citrusy taste would be even stronger than the smell! It tastes like tangerines, grapefruits, oranges lemons, etc. I love you, centennial hops! Even has a slightly banana ester quality about it. The mouthfeel was very mild, but expressed a whole multitude of sweet/sour/bitter citrusy hop flavors, even a slight biscuit/caramel malty flavor when swished around. I have never had a pale ale with such fruity definition, not even dry hopped. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 for drinkability (even though the alcohol content is low) is because there is only so much citrus the palate can take for the night before you hit the overload point, especially when it comes to a beer with even a hint of a dry finish such as this.

I can't wait to make my first trip to Colorado since coming of age with all of the wonderfull breweries I've tried from the area, but it may have to wait until summer time or later, unfortunately.

Edit: as one of my other fellow reviewers said, "This reminds me of the stickiest of the icky."

03-16-2005 04:40:02 | More by neonbrown82
feloniousmonk

4.72/5  rDev +28.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Color me impressed!
This ale's appearance is marked by dark apricot hue, elbowing a tawny red, with a frothy, milky, cream-colored head. Nose is fruity and lively to the point of rambunctious, high on the citrus, grapefruit, pineapple, and a strong edge of pine and herbs. Very hoppy, but still soft.
Hops have a large presence on the palate, and maintain occupation throughout the consumption of this drink, on the tongue and all the back and further into other sensory realms, as well.
Full bodied, and creamy. Unfiltered, and it shows, in the very best ways. Relentlessly tasty. Finish is interminable, lush, delicious, highly memorable, highly drinkable. I found myself thinking that I'd found the perfect session brew for me. Hops are full, and deliver excellent flavor, but not so sharp and strong as to kill the palate. I wanted more, and more!
Dry-hopped with Crystal hops, that's the infused part. Hazed refers to the yeasty goodness left inside. The trippy name and psychedelic design on the tap handle seem like a hard sell aimed at all the hacky-sacking Colorado hippies camping out to see the Electric Rubber String Bean Casserole Groove Band, but if it works, good for them! This is a damned good beer! I really don't think I've had anything quite like: a hoppy, but mellow IPA, and a new favorite!

05-08-2003 17:19:01 | More by feloniousmonk
filabrazilia

Colorado

4.7/5  rDev +28.1%

Pours a hazy copper with an off-white head. The fluffy cumulus-like head leaves sheets of lace on the glass like a growing congregation of clouds. Carbonation streams up to the surface like bubbles in an aquarium.

Wow. This smells like fresh hops you by at the homebrew store. There is a hint of carmel in the nose as well. The floral hops tickle the nose in anticipation of consumption.

The taste was initially hoppy. But as the beer warms, the tang of the hops and the sweetness of the malt balance in a symphony of flavor. This is a wonderful taste experience that I do not want to end.

The mouthfeel is full and creamy. The carbonation and the hops grab the tongue in a hug of appreciation and thanks. It's as if the beer is grateful for its ensuing demise. There is a crisp dry finish and a memory of the drink that you don't want to forget.

This is a very drinkable beer. I don't know what it is, but I really love this beer. Is it perhaps that this is a pale ale that aspies to be an IPA? Or is it that I have come to really appreciate dry-hopped beers? Whatever the case may be, this, in my opinion, is a fantastic brew.

02-01-2004 17:44:19 | More by filabrazilia
simmons

4.7/5  rDev +28.1%

Apperance- A light copper ale with a thin white head that lasts for a good while.

Smell- Just an amazing aroma!!! Full of hops, but its not pungent or over powering. Very floral

Taste- The malt is very light not much there at all, mildly sweet. As for the hops bitterness is low and just like the armoa it tastes floral and not over powering

Mouthfeel- This beer is light in gravity, mildly carbonated. Even though there is great amount of hops and not much malt in this brew it is very ballanced and smooth.

Drinkability- I love this beer. I can drink this beer all day on a hot summer day. Great taste, ballanced and with a low/average ABV% it is something that you can enjoy many of without killing yourself

11-12-2006 03:44:25 | More by simmons
sleazo

4.7/5  rDev +28.1%

A-Pours a slightly hazed brown with a fluffy cloudlike two finger head. Lacing abounds ad astounds, really a good looking brew.

S-Perfume like hops compete with a very biscuity malt for dominnance with neither side claiming victory. The balance here is just superb. The hop scent is very fresh with pine being the dominant note. When I opened the bottle the scent filled the room. Ah I love dry hopping

T-Not as hoppy as the scent. The malt is also a tad sweeter than I expected as it is both slightly caramel sweet and toasted biscuit at the same time. The aftertaste does showcase the pine//floral hops. The hops are still very fresh tasting.

M-I would actually say this is on the chewy side, the substantial head adds to the overall experience and the carbonation lightens the overall feel.

D-This is one hell of a tasty APA. Very well balanced yet providing a substantial hop kick. I wish this were a local brew. This would make a terrific session brew

Edit- I am shocked this isn't rated higher. I think people must be expecting an IPA whcih this is not. It still provides me with my hop fix without being a one trick pony.

09-22-2007 22:41:17 | More by sleazo
Fatduck

4.7/5  rDev +28.1%

Another beer I have been looking forward to trying, but for whatever reason haven't picked up yet.

A - Creamy pale ale color with a massive fluffy head, maybe my bottle was agitated from my bike ride (many hours earlier).

S - Citrus, Pine, cascade hops, I love it.

T - The taste of hops up front is just good as the smell. A wonderful hoppy pale ale.

M - Light and crisp, its a true pale ale.

D - Truly a session ale, I could drink this for days on end.

10-31-2008 02:54:21 | More by Fatduck
karengarys

Indiana

4.65/5  rDev +26.7%

I bought this beer on a whim because the label amused me. What a surprise - I love this beer!!! It reminds me a lot of the three floyds gumballhead, which is one of my favorite beers of all time.

It pours a hazy deep amber color with minimal head.(I love the look of a hazy beer that doesn't have glops of goop in it)

Mouthfeel is very nice and crisp and dry, which really appeals to me. It is fizzy, but not a cheezy carbonation type of fizzy, it is more of a rich and dry fizz.

Aaah, the flavor. Very clean, very dry, yet - to me - not bitter. Very hoppy, but it is a dry hop. It has a citrusy flavor, almost like grapefruit peels. To me that It isn't gross, it is crisp for it is done very well.

It has a dry finish that fades into nothing. No bad aftertaste, just some lingering clean sweetness.

this has become one of my very few standards.

By the way: This is the only beer I've had that I enjoy VERY COLD! I usually like them more a tad bit warmer than 'fridge temp, maybe around 50 or so. Not this one. It even makes a good slushie.

09-24-2004 00:22:05 | More by karengarys
shamus

Ontario (Canada)

4.65/5  rDev +26.7%

I had my doubts about this beer before trying it solely based upon the god-awful flashy label. I took that as a sign that this beer was trying to hard to tell me how "cool" it was without putting the effort into the brew itself. I was wrong. This is a great pale ale and one of the nicest I've tried in a while.

Pours a beautiful copper with a perfect head. Chilled but not icey cold so that you can actually smell and taste the lovely hops. I could have had another of these easily.

I tried this while visiting Boulder at Illegal Pete's on Pearl St along with a burrito. A highly recommended combination.

11-15-2006 16:05:56 | More by shamus
86sportster883

4.63/5  rDev +26.2%

Hazed and Infused is an APA I would have expected one of my so called beer buddies to have have introduced me to sooner. Now that I've tried this beer I am going to have to allocate more of my beer budget on American Pale Ales, and on this one in particular.

Pours a fantastic deep orange brown, with ruby highlights when held up to the light. Has a huge tan rocky head that settles to a thick finger and leaves a trail of torn lace down my Stone IPA flute.

The nose is outstanding. It strikes me as fruity with sweet fresh melon, banana and wonderful hop esters. It has great body with an effervescent, yet subtle, carbonation that seems to make the beer evaporate off your tongue. Served cold, the first swig is an assault on your tastebuds; a sharp lemony sourness balanced by sweetness and some hop bitterness. Hints of grapefruit. Then, in an instant, it finishes dry with a pleasant lingering sourness.

There's a lot going on in this beer, and some might find it to be over the top. It's not a Workingman's Beer,* but for me, this is almost as good as it gets.

* Ref: http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/913175

01-18-2007 23:13:53 | More by 86sportster883
wcudwight

4.63/5  rDev +26.2%

Thanks to stopbarking.
Amber orange in color. 2 finger white head that fades to a tight lace on top. Lot's of lace sticks to the sides of the glass.
Wow what an aroma for a pale ale. Tons of hops fill the nose. Citrus/Piney C-Hops. This packs as much punch as some DIPA's in the aroma.
Flavor pretty much as the nose suggest. Hops! Hops! Hops! Also a bit of a grassy flavor all supported by a biscutty malt. I can't believe this beer packs this much hop flavor in under 5% abv.
Thin enough mouthfeel to make it sessionable. This is what seperates it from an IPA imho. It doesn't have the malt backbone and therefore the mouthfeel is thin.
A beer with this much hop flavor that is this drinkable is unbelieveable. I have been wanting to try this for awhile and it has exceeded my expectations. I'm back on the look out for it again.

04-26-2008 03:43:06 | More by wcudwight
tavernjef

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On-tap - Solid pale golding dark yellowy amber, nearly orange color, with a oatmeal looking top and colored head, settles to leave solid spotty lace all around the glass that sticks well. Smell is pretty strong and fronting of citrusy fruits, dulled a bit of mostly orange, some grapefruit, lemon and lime...most fruitylicious! Taste is amazingly fruity sweet, oily hopness, lightly tart and sour, very nice hop twingyness thats mellowing but lush and quite flavoring of...yes, grapefruit....some lemon, orange, and apples, all done in a dulling fashion, nothing to overwhelming in tart or sourness, perfectly infused. The malts are magnificent in laying the ground work for the amount of fruity hops that seem to be bouncing all over the place. Feel is medium body and full, the lingering effect of tarty sourness is quite nice, easily handled, and seems to last forever. Super mellowing drinkable stuff, man!

Served up by Feloniousmonk, what a guy.

06-09-2003 20:02:27 | More by tavernjef
JasonCoop

4.6/5  rDev +25.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours a rubyish amber color with nice white foam.

smells very citrusy with orange and lots of lemon. nice and hoppy smelling

taste is pretty good. crisp and refreshing with just the right body to make it go down smoothly. slight hop bitterness balanced with its citrusy sweet smoothness.

mouthfeel is nice and crisp while at the same time smooth enough to be very drinkable. i grabbed this as part of a mixed 6er and it is suprisingly a good brew. the stoner label is a little cheesy though.

01-07-2006 08:21:23 | More by JasonCoop
SaCkErZ9

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Dispensed from a 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass (mine says Guinness on it). A nice, white, rocky head forms, about two fingers in size. Generous lacing. The head stays a long while.

Aroma is pure citrus hop goodness. Grapefruit, grass, and hay. Backed by a nice caramel malt backbone with a slight sweetness aroma.

More hops in the flavor and taste of this one. Completely balanced hop bitterness and sweetness from the malts. Tons of grapefruit flavor to begin with, followed by the somewhat earthy, grassy tones. Sweetness balances out perfectly. Very fresh tasting.

A tad under medium bodied; just a bit watery. Nothing major to complain about here. This is one fine beer. I wasnt expecting much but I got more than I deserved. This is a top notch APA. Could drink this all day and night: Actually, I think I will.

07-03-2007 20:35:16 | More by SaCkErZ9
carln26

Missouri

4.58/5  rDev +24.8%

I’m revisiting this beer after a long absence. This was the 1st beer I had from Boulder Brewing Co. and I regret not having reviewed it before. It pours a slightly hazy copper color with a good creamy colored head. A beautiful, delicate lace settles on the side of the glass after the head settles. The nose is like placing your face in a pile of hop flowers (and I’ve done it at the Hop Head Throw-Down). It just fills your nose with the citrus and pine characters. The taste is like biting into a grapefruit. This beer is not about balance (although the malt is there in the form of caramel to temper the hops). The mouth feel is full, and slightly slick. The beer has a great drinkabilty. I’m glad I came back to this beer. Not as balanced as some APAs (Red Seal to mention one), but a great, unusual beer.

02-17-2005 01:12:47 | More by carln26
canucklehead

British Columbia (Canada)

4.58/5  rDev +24.8%

Dark gold ,almost brown with an amazing hoppy nose that really smells like pot. This is very fresh tasting APA with a real fruity finish. The drinkability is off the charts as it is so smooth on the palate. A first class APA. Memorable in a sea of APA's

07-19-2008 04:37:19 | More by canucklehead
thekevlarkid

Maryland

4.58/5  rDev +24.8%

I first tried this beer while visiting Colorado and later bought a keg of it for a Lingerie and Toga Party (the 2nd Annual). This review is from that on-tap event. Off the keg this beer was a dark apricot color with a big beige head that clung defiantly to the glass. The aroma was bold, hoppy and complex, orange zest, grapefruit, pine and some hints of sweetened malt. The flavors were equally vibrant, a sweet malt start quickly met by big, citrus hops. Great balance and very juicy, the grapefruit and orange really came through along with undertones of pineapple. The finish was crisp and dry. The body was medium/full, the carbonation a little high but acceptable and the mouthfeel slick. I still consider this one of the best American Pale Ales being brewed and if you have a chance to try it on tap I highly recommend it.

12-02-2008 04:10:40 | More by thekevlarkid