Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Hazed - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Quaffer on 10-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazed Alström Bros
Reviews: 873 | Hads: 1,985
1.85/5  rDev -50.3%

Served chilled in a pint glass. 12 oz. bottle.

Appearance: Hazy medium brown liquid with an ecru frothy head (about 3/4" at max. height). Head eventually settles down to a nice sized layer of foam and gobs of foam appropriate to the style cling to the glass.

Smell: Great balance of piney and citrus hops at first, but the grapefruit eventually wins out. Nicely fragrant.

Taste: Precious little malt taste, or hops for that matter... Flash in the pan piney bitterness followed by something like a ginger ale in taste. A major letdown after the look and smell. Look like the Looking Glass line is a funhouse mirror.

Mouthfeel: Watery. I was expecting something with more body than this. Seemed more like weak iced hop tea or something.

Drinkability: Blech. I had problems finishing this. If the smell weren't so good, I'd be thinking I got a stale bottle. Oh well, at least the bottle looks cool.

Still, thanks to feloniousmonk for the trade.

2.04/5  rDev -45.2%

22oz bottle with a September 27th 2012 best by date.

Clear, dark copper with a half a finger tan, dense head. Very grassy, biscuity aroma. Seems to me a good amount of crystal malt was used. I get that grainy, dark biscuity aroma pretty clearly. Some citrus notes with a swirl. The hops don't really come through as well as advertised on the bottle. Malt taste starts tart and metallic and drops out quick, leaving a faint bitterness on the back of the tongue along with the metallic taste that came back. Obviously light bodied if the flavor drops out, and it finishes dry.

This comes across as nothing special, start to finish. I'll pass.

2.12/5  rDev -43%

A - Nice cloudy, yet no sediment amber with a great foamy head.

S - Floral hops, citrus, sweet grain.

T - Citrus tones maybe some fruit. bitter for an APA. it's got some weird twang to it.

M - leaves a weird metallic bitter to the tongue. carb is right though.

D - Meh, It's too weird for me. Possibly off balanced. It tastes a lot more potent than what it is alcohol wise.

Note: It's not something I would buy again.

2.14/5  rDev -42.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Pours the weirdest color I've ever seen.. lol. It's like a murky yellowish-orange brown color with a 2 inch, soapy head that lasts for a few minutes. Leaves a very thick lacing.

Smell - Has a very strong bitter funk to it.. with lighter tones of berries (or some similar fruit)

Taste - It has your average pale ale taste with the added caramel and toffee. Bitter, earthy malts, and a very light undertone of some type of fruit..?

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied wit high carbonation.

Overall - I don't know if it's because this is dry-hopped or just because of the ingredients, but it has a very weird funk and feel to it that I don't like.

2.32/5  rDev -37.6%

Pours nice, decent head on it, dissipates quickly. Smells of good citrus-hoppiness. Not really sure why I tried this, wasn't really feeling anything else on the menu, should've stuck with the 60 minute.

It tastes like someone dropped about 2oz. of orange juice and a large sweet valencia orange slice in my beer. I really don't know why, but I just can't get past the orange-iness of this beer. It has a decent hop profile, not too overpowering. If somehow the orange was remove I'd enjoy this, but even as it warms it keeps slapping me around. I want it to go away, but it won't. Wouldn't have another of these. I'd say it's drinkable, but not good by any means.

2.35/5  rDev -36.8%

Appearence: Into to the nonick it poured a clear (hazed my ass) copper with a nice, creamy white head,

Smell: The smell is of earthy, herbal hops that aren't as aromatic as I'd hope for a Pale Ale.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Hmmm. This has a very generic hop taste, as I noticed is kind of a trend with these Rockies brews. It's trying to be lucious and herbal, but winds up being boring, with no real complexity or flavor worth noting. The mouthfeel is medium bodied.

Drinkability and Overall: This is an unimpressive Pale Ale from what's turning out to be an unimpressive brewery for me. Bland and boring, this beer looks good, but has no real flavor. The Mojo was better - and that's not saying much.

2.4/5  rDev -35.5%

12 oz bottle, no frehness date noted.

Hazzy copper, with a creamy tan head. Moderate lacing.

Aroma is citrusy orange, with some pine in the background

Flavor is mosly juicy grapefruit, with a little sweetness.

Body is kind of thin.
Finish is crisp but short.

2.41/5  rDev -35.2%

Had this beer on-tap at my favorite bar. It was poured into an imperial pint glass.
A: Golden, hazy, big pillow head. The large head gives it a few bonus points.
S: Smells are quite faint, it has some IPA pine and grapefruit citrus scents. Biscuit smell is also present. Nothing too impressive here.
T: Taste are bland and watery. Slight citrus taste, bittering hops are present but faint. I don't taste anything with the front of my tongue, only with the back. The aftertaste seems like dirty tap water. This has a very weak taste.
M: Thin feel, crisp carbonation.
O: I shared the beer with my friends after they noticed my facial expressions, and they had the same overall negative thought about the beer. My friends thought the beer was skunked, but when I was at the bar the previous day it was not on draft, so I have reason to believe that it was a fresh keg. I will not order this beer again.

2.42/5  rDev -34.9%

22oz bomber with no freshness date.

App: A hazy dark, dark amber. A 2 finger head that formed a crater/dome. Very cool.

Smell: Even parts sweet malts and fruity hops that smell like apples.

Taste: A bit of sweet malt and bitter hops, but an overall flat, lifeless taste. Maybe something is wrong with the bottle.

I had this once before and it looks and tastes radically different. Much tastier before, with a lighter body and crispier taste.

2.44/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: WAY TOO MUCH HEAD. All of these bottles I opened were gushers and there was a massive amount of head when poured. Color looks good though.

Smell: Very hoppy, nice. I like the aroma. Not a whole lot of sweetness in the aroma to balance it but it is nice a floral.

Taste: A little watery. There isn't a malt base to back up the hops. It basically taste like cold hop water.

Mouthfeel: Very thin. Very thin. Very thin.

Overall: Not a very good beer.

2.46/5  rDev -33.9%

2.5/5  rDev -32.8%

Holy hops Batman. This was way too hoppy for me, though admittedly I'm not a fan of really hoppy beers. Those that enjoy the style rave about this beer, but it wasn't for me.

2.58/5  rDev -30.6%

Perhaps I caught a bad batch of this stuff, but it was really bad.

Poured an amber brown with a nice, two-fingers of foamy head. Smell presented apricots and some hops, though not overpowering by any means.

Taste was bitter, and reminded me of paint thinner. Almost a metallic-like finish.

Going to try it out of a bottle and see if it was a bad keg... but I'm guessing not.

2.58/5  rDev -30.6%

This beer poured from the tap has a slight cloudyness and a thin white head. The initial taste is like an explosion of hoppy, bold flavor. It finishes with a bitter, dry feel and didn't leave me wanting more. The aroma is rather fruity and strong.

I am not typically a fan of hoppy beers, and tasting this reminded me why I don't like them. On the other hand if you like bold, bitter, hoppy beers, give this a try it is sure to give your tastebuds a kick.

2.61/5  rDev -29.8%

Poured a hazy coppery orange with a light head that left fairly quickly. Weak lacing.

Aroma was not strong but there was some pine and citrus hops there.

Taste. Ewwwe. Immediate piney hops but is gone in a flash. What is left is a clubsoda/tetleytea kind of flavor.

Mouthfeel thin and a little carbonated. Not that slick oil feel.

Drinkability. Well since it isn't overly hoppy, or too oily or filling, I could see how someone could have many of these in a sitting...if it weren't for the taste.

2.63/5  rDev -29.3%

12 oz can poured into a snifter:

A- Pours a non-transparent amber or light brown color. Creamy 3 finger head with solid retention and very nice lacing.

S - Strong dry hopped aroma; floral and piney. Some sweetness caramel is present, but is relatively weak.

T - Watery open followed by a piney aftertaste. Very resinous taste. It's hard to find any malt character.

M - wet and flat.

D - The appearance and aroma of this beer are quite good, but the taste is sure to disappoint.

2.63/5  rDev -29.3%

A - Deep amber with nice fat sticky head. Good lacing.

S - Mostly grass and a little citrus.

T - Wow, I was really disappointed. Mostly bitter, not even really hoppy, no malt to speak of, just bitter water.

M - Not much positive here either, and the taste is hard to separate from the feel.

D - Maybe I got a bad bottle. It just wasn't very good. I tossed it after about 1/3. If it comes around again, I might try it just to see if this was a fluke.

2.65/5  rDev -28.8%

Into a pint glass, I poured a pretty hazy dark amber, SRM 16 on my chart, with creamy persistent head that left a fine sticky haze.
But where are the hops smell? Sniffing hard, I get hardly any hops aroma at all. Taste, too, is just barely bitter, with none of the bitter aftertastes I like in a good IPA. Mouthfeel is well-carbonated, so attenuated you might think this is a diet beer. Can't see this as hoppy enough to merit the fridge space I reserve for Indian Pale Ales, tho for a mild American pale ale it's not bad, and would serve well for those averse to hops bitterness.

2.66/5  rDev -28.5%

22oz bottle poured into a clear goblet.

A - Dark for a pale ale - kind of an ambery copper. Tan head with fantastic retention. Opaque, hazy thickness almost reminiscent of a wheat beer.

S - Classic american pale ale smell. Distinct american hops are right up front. Grapefruit and floral notes are strong.

T - Very little taste up front. Long backburn of hoppy bitterness that lingers. Unremarkable and slightly below average.

MF - Not a lot of carbonation, a little too watery feeling for my taste. Not great.

D - Easy to drink, may serve as a great session beer. But when I think about drinking an American Pale Ale, this is, by most accounts, below average. Not terrible, but at the same time, difficult to reccomend.

2.7/5  rDev -27.4%

A: poured and amber hue into my tulip with a finger or so of off white head with some pretty good lacing.

S: could smell the malts more then I could get a whiff of any hop presents, hints of toffee and caramel with a little bit of lemon zest and booze.

T: Lots of sweet malts and caramel like the nose but again no hop bitternes whatsoever. I guess the malts took over on this one.

M: light to meduim bodied with very light carbonation.

D: If I was trying to buy hoppy beer I would definitely not go for this one seems like they forgot to add the hops.

2.71/5  rDev -27.2%

A nice solid red color with a decent white head that leaves little lace. Smell is more muted than I would have thought there is plenty of hop-like aromas but nothing juice, alive or otherwise standoutish. The taste has a slight malt flavor that is eaten up by a bittering that tastes soapy there is some citrus and fruityness but they are just too weak. Ok mouthfeel and it could serve as something to drink but not really desirable. Overall this is just another pass-on-by until they tweak it up some.

2.72/5  rDev -26.9%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber body filled with scattered particles and topped with big, fluffy white head.

Smell: Booming, resiny aroma of pine-infused potpourri and dried citrus fruits with just a very slight amount of caramel hiding under all those hops.

Taste: Citrus flavors build atop the assertive hop bitterness and earthy undertones. Minimal toasted caramel malt flavor is thoroughly crushed by the hops and the long chalky, bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-thin body with a high level of fine carbonation.

Drinkability: While I guess I can't fault this beer too much for trying to go "LOOK! L@@K at ME!!" I have to acknowledge the big blank spot when it comes to any malt to balance out the hops.

2.73/5  rDev -26.6%

This beer pours an amber to light copper color with a nearly nonexistent white head. there is a bit of hop aroma when the can is opened but when poured into a glass its gone. there is little hop flavor and very little bitterness. the mouthfeel is light on carbonation and the beers is overall just a pretty big disappointment. will not buy again

2.73/5  rDev -26.6%

Pours golden to amber in color. Basic bitter citrus hop aroma. Same for the taste, quite hoppy, in a citrus, almost funky over-ripe sort of way. The moutfeel is kind of heavy and sticky, a bit too much so for the style of brew. Not a bad beer, but I wouldnt pick it out of a crowd.

2.74/5  rDev -26.3%

12oz single poured into a goblet. Best by 25 January 2011; drinking it on 15 November 2009.

Pours a hazy orange, but certainly not the cloudiest beer I've seen. Head is made of big bubbles and ample carbonation is left.

Smell is of sweet malt, maybe a hint of caramel and a pinch of citrus hops.

Tastes the same. Flavor is thick for a light ABV, but I mostly get a thick, sweet pale malt flavor with some bitterness on top. Finishes bitter, but nowhere in here do I get the distinctive hop flavors this beer seems to promise. Tastes like it's old, but the best-by date is still more than two months away.

Mouthfeel is fine. Slightly bubbly, a bit creamy but nothing too serious.

This beer is a letdown from what I was hoping for. Doesn't taste terrible, but I don't imagine I'd have it again. Or maybe I would, in hopes this was a bad bottle or something.

Hazed from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub