Hazed & Infused - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Quaffer on 10-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazed & Infused Alström Bros
3.82/5  rDev +4.7%

Apperance: Poured a "hazy" (remember this is an unfiltered beer) red/amber with about two inches of foam that laced the glass until the very end.

Smell: Like a hops scented candle with a hint of sweet malt (& possibly caramel) that foretold of a great drinking experience, but... please read on.

Taste: Initial hops explosion that fades all too quickly. From there the malt sweetens out the flavor for a smooth end that, unfortunately, leaves you longing for the beer you started with.

Mouthfeel: I would call this a medium bodied beer that carries good carbonation. It hits your palate hard out of the gate with hops taste, but falls off in the same manner.

Drinkability: The beer goes down well. At less than 5% alcohol you could put away a few and enjoy yourself. This beer is decent as far as hoppiness, but I prefer ones that finish with more taste.

Overall: B/B-
By no means is it a bad beer. The carbonation level creates an interesting drinking experience, but lacks the "hoppy punch" the aroma hinted at. If the taste matched the smell this beer would be great.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

From an un-dated bottle. Pours hazy amber with a good two inch off-white head. Good amount of lacings.
Aroma was pretty minor. Might be an old bottle.
Taste is bitter citrus hops. More bitter than fruity. Malts are full enough for the style. Carbonation a bit on the high side.
I really wanted this to be a great Pale Ale especially with the sessionable under 5% abv. But not one I'm going to seek out.

Update: I have since enjoyed the canned version and must increase my rating somewhat. The can version seems to be a touch better. Possibly due to bottles being more likely to be affected by light issues. One of my favorite Pale Ales in part due to the 4.85% abv. It keeps a good flavor profile for such a sessionable beer. Ironically the canned version seems a bit low in the carbonation area. Not bad just lower than the bottled version.

4.15/5  rDev +13.7%

This beer has a subtle hop taste with a mellow backbone. Its not as hoppy as I would have expected. Very drinkable. Smell is a citrus and hops and leads you to believe that the taste will be the same. Nice amount of lace around the glass. This is an ok beer as far as hoppiness, but I'll probably go for something that packs more of a hop punch.

3.57/5  rDev -2.2%

Woah! No doubt this beer smells like I'm opening a vacuum sealed packet of fresh dryed hops for some home brew. And that is a very good thing. Hops and more hops and that smells delicious. Poured into a vaso and I get a nice head and a translucent but nearing opaque deep golden colour. The taste is very good. Starts with hops but the malt catches up very quickly and beer is alot more balanced than expected. In fact for a hop lover it is perfectly balanced just after the start. The dry hopping gives this brew great aroma, great flavor but not much bitterness. Kind of a bait and switch. The zesty hop flavor leaves you expecting a hop bite but then its gone. Left me hazed and infuzed. Very interesting. I like it, refreshing and different. You could drink this a little colder without diminishing the flavor. I'm gonna take a shot at home brewing one this style, more middle, end and dry-hopped.
Ps. Glass laced every sip all the way down.

4.22/5  rDev +15.6%

Pours a clear light ambered orange with a large lid of fluffingly creamy light tan.

The nose really is, as has been said, very good. The pale malt sweetness just barely peeks from beneath an excellent load of juicy citrus hops.

The flavor is lightly pale sweet with a crackery/biscuity dryness. Nice citrusy fruitiness with a light amount of bitterness in the finish.

This is a more than solid brew. A near perfect sessioner, what it really is is an IPA - light.

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

Pours dark reddishamber - very hazy. Fantastic head and the retention/lacing couldn't be better. Smells strong and sweet - fruity and a little bitter. Taste is actually underwhelming after the smell - maybe a little too carbonated - it seems to mask the flavors a little. Feels good - like the taste, I think the carbonation is taking away from it a little. Very drinkable - low alcohol and good flavor makes for a very pleasant drink.

3.61/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. brown bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a hazy (surprise!) rich copper hue. A billowing cream-colored froth issues forth, settling to a thick layer of foam with superb retention and magnificent stick.

Aroma is of pleasant, though typical, floral and fruity hop aromas. Faint toffee malt aromas hide in the background.

Medium-bodied with a relatively high level of carbonation. A brief hit of fruit and caramel malt flavors up front is quickly overpowered by a domineering bitter, salty hoppiness that grasps the palate and drags the fight all the way through into the finish.

Drinkability suffers from the overwhelming salty bitterness of the hops, which dominate the palate fully and leave a dryness that begs for another draught--just not one of this particular brew.

Beautiful, tasty and interesting, yet not quite reaching into satisfying.

4.48/5  rDev +22.7%

A- Pours a fluffy white 1 finger head over a slightly hazy copper orange color. Nice lacing is left upon the heads decent.

S- Very fresh apple, apricot, and slight pineapple notes from the hopiness. Seems well balanced out with the sweet smelling malt.

T- Starts out with a nice maltiness that has a great balance of hops and notes of apple, then some nice hopiness emerges, but quite tastefully and balanced. The finish has a great apple skin feel with a touch of drying on the palette from the hops.

M- Low carbonation works great. Excellent Balance.

D- Extremely high. This is what I've been looking for. This has an excellent hop presence and great sweet malt to back it and all @ 4.85% ABV! This will become a staple in my fridge. Can you say session?

3.72/5  rDev +1.9%

On-tap poured into a nonic pint glass.

A- It poured a "hazy" orange-red with a 1 finger head that quickly dropped to a full lace that left great sticky spots on the glass.

S- The aroma had a strong presence of hops coming through as citrus and grassy tones.

T- More hops in the flavor giving a solid bite. There was also a grain flavor that was something like a wheat taste and some sort of fruity (berry-like?) mix in there too.

M- Somewhat unremarkable feel. A little on the thin side with a dry finish.

D- It's a pretty decent drinker. I could have more than 1 in a sitting, but it's not something I'd go out of my way to seek out again.

3.82/5  rDev +4.7%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a hazy, go figure, dark amber, with a full white head, good head retention and lacing.

S: Strong dry-hopped smell, lots of citrus fruit, some pine and mint.

T: Very hop centered, one of the strongest overall hop flavours I've seen in a pale ale. Pink grapefruit and pine, though too astringent at times, overall a nice flavour. Malt is toasty and adds a nice balance.

M: Overall I found it a bit too thin, but the carbonation level was nice.

D: A nice pale that I can't get in any of my local stores, glad I tried it.

4.07/5  rDev +11.5%

A clear amber brown rusty color that has an aggressive head leaving huge chunky lacing on the sides of the glass. A nice vertical stream of bubbles works its way up from several nucleation points in the glass.

Nose is big on the hops. Citrus floral and big from the dry hopping. This scent whets your appetite with all the bold hop notes. Outstanding for an American pale ale.

Taste is slightly disappointing from the nose. Don't get me wrong it's a great flavor but not as strong as the nose. Sweet malts are quickly eclipsed by citrus hops with a piney bitterness. Those amazing flavors quit fast though, they pummel the palate but don't have the gas to make the distance. The finish ends up being nothing more then just a nice malty pale ale.

I wish this one went the distance but I guess if it did it would be more of an IPA then a pale ale. A just short of amazing nose leads to a good flavor but one that doesn't last. This one is refreshing for those of us who are hop heads but aren't looking for the total assault to the mouth hole.

4.72/5  rDev +29.3%

Another beer I have been looking forward to trying, but for whatever reason haven't picked up yet.

A - Creamy pale ale color with a massive fluffy head, maybe my bottle was agitated from my bike ride (many hours earlier).

S - Citrus, Pine, cascade hops, I love it.

T - The taste of hops up front is just good as the smell. A wonderful hoppy pale ale.

M - Light and crisp, its a true pale ale.

D - Truly a session ale, I could drink this for days on end.

4.2/5  rDev +15.1%

Hazed & Infused pours a nice amber color with a big 3 finger head. Smells hoppy and malty and is well balanced. This beer has just the right amount of carbonation. I really like the flavor here. It's got a wonderful malt flavor and a great hop finish thanks to the dry hopping process. It reminds me of Rogue Brutal Bitter and Rogue St. Rogue Red(a compliment, not an insult). This is a tasty beer that holds its own in the APA style. I look forward to trying other Boulder products in the future. Very recommended. A shout out to the folks at Chan's Wine World in Panama City Beach, Florida for recommending this brew.

EDIT: 08/29/2009 Revisited this beer now that I've found it in Alabama and I must say that I'm a little disappointed with the flavor. Maybe my pallet has become desensitized over the last year. I must confess that now this beer is lacking in flavor for me now. I will keep my original score of A- here but I must admit I'm a little confused. Have my tastes changed or is this year's batch just not as good as last year's?

3.98/5  rDev +9%

Crystal clear copper body, with some frothy white lace.

Aroma has loads of sugary apricot, along with some caramel malt.

Silky smooth on the palate, with a nice crisp balance. Sugary malts upfront, with a nice backing of piney and fruit infused hops. Semi-bitter with a large drinkability. Definitely a sessionable beer.

The best part about this beer is the amazing drinkability. Very, very easy to drink. Packs quite a lot of flavor as well. Pretty good Pale, and definitely worth a try.

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

Reviewed on 3/1/08

Poured into a pint glass. Fairly thin, off-white but tight head. Copper/red in color and cloudy. Good lacing on the glass.

Smell had good caramel and malty sweetness. Good hop aroma as well. Nice balanced smell.

Balanced taste as well. Nice citrusy hop presence, especially in after-taste. Hops more dominant in the finish. Mild amount of maltiness.

Mouth was a light to medium body. Oily and crisp wit a slight amount of dryness.

Good drinkability. Well balanced overall and low abv as well. Definitely a session beer.

4.07/5  rDev +11.5%

Guess this beer should be labeled an IPA because of the powerful hop presence. Nonetheless it satisfied my craving for a delicious dose of hops.

Now that I have developed the palate for most styles I don't mind having a hoppy pale ale from time to time. So the happy smell and taste were a delicious accompanyment to my dinner.

Overall this brew was pretty drinkable. Even for my brother who has just recently been introduced to "real beer". Thanks to Boulder Beer Co. for another tasty brew.

3.95/5  rDev +8.2%

Hazed & Infused Dry Hopped Ale, Boulder, CO
9/14/08, 22 oz bottle to a tulip style glass, 4.85 ABV, cals ???

A 4.0
Amber golden brown, large long lasting head, excellent lacing
S 4.0
Hops, Hops, Hops
T 4.0
Hoppy yet balanced, malts in the background, hop head delight, floral type hoppy, not to bitter
MF 3.5
Slightly bitter on palate, hoppy on finish, nice and balanced for a Pale Ale IMHO
D 4.0
I am not a huge fan of Pale Ales, but I do dig this one, it's available most places here in NE FLA, so I drink it often if I am in a hoppy kinda mood...

Dark gold/light brown with a two-finger head that receeds a little quickly and left some lace patches. Floral smell of hops is more dominant than any malts in there; lots of fruit notes in the taste as well as a strong hop burst - the malts are very weak. Smooth and medium-bodied, passes down almost too slick. I like IPA's so I thought this Pale Ale was good; if you're not that much into hops and prefer more malts (whether dry or sweet) you might not enjoy this as much. I liked it.

4.12/5  rDev +12.9%

This beer was on clearance at my local store ($6.99/12)

I'm a sucker for a good deal so I tried it out. Aroma and smell are hops galore, and tastes like an IPA for sure. After more inspection, I realize it's only a pale ale and has a much lower ABV than you would imagine. It's almost like a low alcohol IPA (or NA IPA if you will). Besides the lack of ABV, the rest of the beer is damn good.. hoppy taste and very drinkable, plus what a good deal I got, damn!

4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

A - Very dark orange, copper almost. Poured with a very foamy long lasting head. Good retention and lacing. Really really carbonated.

S - Sweet citrus smell, slight hint of pine.

T/M - Very well balanced, goes down way too easy. Dry hops work well, somewhat creamy.

D - Easy to drink, not outstanding in any aspect, but not forgettable, I would buy a case (a customer of mine ordered 4 and I can understand why)

4.35/5  rDev +19.2%

Beautiful hazy orange with a fluffy head that lasts. Medium stickiness clings to the glass. Aroma is glorious. Not huge but right on target. Some of the many scents are orange rind, peach juice, strawberry-kiwi snapple, fresh apple blossoms....
The combination of sweet fruit and flower blossoms make for a great bouquet. The taste mimics the above but with a hop bitterness that dries the beer for a quick finish and does so without much notice or fanfare. Wonderful overall flavor and aroma profile. If you like your beer aromatic and are tired of the grapefruit or pine hop flavors give this a try.

3.53/5  rDev -3.3%

Pours a hazy copper with dense head and thick lacing. Smell: citric and floral hops, faint breadiness, sweet. Taste: same hops in the forefront with a hint of bready malt around the edges, a little lemon tea. Mouthfeel is a bit thin. A little one sided for a pale ale, but as a sessionable hop fix it works alright.

3.41/5  rDev -6.6%

A. Served ontap into a 20 oz. glass mug. Cloudy orange in color with a poor retaining off white head which laces the mug all the way down.

S. Scant nose..a bit of hops but not as hoppy as it used to be.

T. Also a bit lighter in overall flavor than I was expecting. Earthy hops are minimal, balanced by some malt sweetness. It ends up being fairly decent, but also forgettable.

M. Smooth, almost creamy. On the light side of medium bodied.

D. This is a very sessionable APA. Not as hoppy as I remember it being. Very drinkable none-theless.

3.78/5  rDev +3.6%

A: Reddish Copper. Huge head and great retention and lacing.

S: Small bit of citrus with a sweet backbone. Good balance.

T: Pretty much all malt flavours. Has an okay bitterness and good toasty malt flavour. More hop flavour would help.

M: Creamy; slightly watery

D: Yep, but not addicting

3.61/5  rDev -1.1%

A- I love the darker pale ales
S- I was hoping for a hoppier aroma, but didn't get what I was looking for.
T- The maltiness did work well with the dry hopping
M- Decent, but a little flat almost
D- I drank a few of these and could have drank more if it weren't for my roommate!

Overall I liked this beer, but was just looking for a more crisp hop finish...

Hazed & Infused from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub