Hazed & Infused - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

good

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 10-12-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazed & Infused Alström Bros
3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Pours a golden amber with a half-inch head of foam. Good carbonation and excellent head retention.

S - Sharp pine and citrus nose.

T - Orange with notes of bitter chocolate. Strong hops bitterness.

M - Crisp; a bit light and bubbly, but definitely not thin.

D - Highly drinkable, if you are a hops person. Hops do not overpower, but neither are they "shy".

3.9/5  rDev +6.8%

A: The ale is a hazy reddish-brown color that pours with a 1.5 finger head that dissapates to a thin white band. There appears to be a small level of lacing throughout the glass.

S: The aroma is big and bitter with some citrusy sweetness and piney crispness.

T: The ale has a strong biscuity malt flavor, thick and chewy. It provides a strong base for the hops. The hops are bold and citrusy without overpowering. The dry-hopping has resulted in a citrusy apricot and tangerine sweetness. The hops mix well with the malts, providing a strong flavor that does not strip the tastebuds.

M: The hops are sweet but restrained, adding a smooth flavor that isn't overpowering. The dry-hopping is a nice feature.

D: The abv is low and the flavor is big, I could drink several of these and enjoy every minute of it.

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%

Overall not too bad. Hazed & Infused pours with a good amount of carbonation, producing a nice, rich, and frothy head. The body is orangish, and slightly hazy. Not as hazy as I thought, due to the naming of this brew. This gives off strong hop aromas, to include a vivid piney fragrance. The taste is dominated initially dominated by hops, but finishes with little aftertaste. I was quite surprised. I don't feel this brew is balanced enough, and probably could use a little bit more malt characteristics.

3.48/5  rDev -4.7%

22 oz bomber.

Appearance: Pours a hazy copper, could be from being in the fridge for a few weeks, with a decent white head that fades to a wispy lacing topping the beer. Plenty of sticky lacing coats the glass after the the beer is finished.

Smell: For a dry hopped beer I'm a little disappointed in the hop aromas of Hazed and Infused. More caramel/crystal malt than hops with semi sweet aromas of caramel and dark fruit. Hops are in there but not like you would think, hints of citrus and pine but not what I was expecting.

Taste: Starts fairly hoppy with shades of grapefruit rind and pine. Somewhat grassy and herbal with a slight fruitiness mixed in as well. The finish is more caramel malt with a nice brown sugar, molasses type sweetness with a slight iced tea like bitterness in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium and somewhat slick, carbonation level is fairly low.

Drinkability/Notes: My buddy in Fla. has been talking this one up for a while now so my bro-in-law in Denver picks one up for me for x-mas. A decent APA but nothing really to get excited about. Pretty well balanced with plenty of caramel malt the provides the underlying caramel/brown sugar like sweetness that is topped by a fairly decent hop bitterness. Aroma was not what I usually expect from a dry-hopped beer. Definitely and easy drinker or session beer, especially at 4.8% abv. Nothing I would go out of the way for but its worth a try.

The beer poured rusty orange with a decent head that quickly went away. Not much lacing to speak of. It smelled alright. Nothing special. Hops for sure but not much citrus or spice. Taste, like the smell was average. Kind of weak, even for a APA. Felt a little thick and malty in my mouth. Finished dry which is important for a pale ale. I could and did finish my sixer in the setting. A solid beer, tho nothing earth shattering.

4.05/5  rDev +11%

Pours a murky brown/orange with a small head that dissipates lightning quick. Not that impressive.

Smells super hoppy with citrus and grass. Hops dominate the smell. Very niiiice.

Taste follows the smell with very grassy hop flavors, with almost an orange, citrus flavor. This isn't is bitter as I expected. This is way out of balance, with very little malt flavor.

Lots of carbonation in this one. I like.

The lack of malt makes for a very refreshing and crisp brew. Although it isn't very balanced, it is definitely interesting. Hazed and Infused is highly drinkable and refreshing. I would definitely buy it again.

4.63/5  rDev +26.8%

Hazed and Infused is an APA I would have expected one of my so called beer buddies to have have introduced me to sooner. Now that I've tried this beer I am going to have to allocate more of my beer budget on American Pale Ales, and on this one in particular.

Pours a fantastic deep orange brown, with ruby highlights when held up to the light. Has a huge tan rocky head that settles to a thick finger and leaves a trail of torn lace down my Stone IPA flute.

The nose is outstanding. It strikes me as fruity with sweet fresh melon, banana and wonderful hop esters. It has great body with an effervescent, yet subtle, carbonation that seems to make the beer evaporate off your tongue. Served cold, the first swig is an assault on your tastebuds; a sharp lemony sourness balanced by sweetness and some hop bitterness. Hints of grapefruit. Then, in an instant, it finishes dry with a pleasant lingering sourness.

There's a lot going on in this beer, and some might find it to be over the top. It's not a Workingman's Beer,* but for me, this is almost as good as it gets.

* Ref: http://beeradvocate.com/forum/read/913175

3.25/5  rDev -11%

Pours a hazy copperish orange with a nice white head with pretty decent retention. Aroma is citrusy hops with a little pine in there as well. Taste is all hops. No I'm not joking, I dont taste any malt in there at all. Now I like hops as much as the next guy but I like a least a little malth in there to balance things out a little. Mouthfeel is a little thin and finishes a little dry. Lack of malt and any balancing at all brings drinkablility down some.

4.08/5  rDev +11.8%

12oz bottle poured into a mug. I tried this maybe a year ago and was impressed; have high expectations for this second sampling.

Golden red beer continues to generate a volumous head several minutes after the pour. It continues to grow as the small bubbles combine together to form larger ones. 5 minutes later... the original 3" head has only relaxed to maybe 2 1/2", but I can't resist anymore. Diving in.

The aroma is quite complex and very appealing- grass, a bit of pine and citrus, some hard to identify floral and spice notes, yum yum yum. Taste is more subtle than I remember it and a bit disappointing, watery. Grass, lemon, and... watermelon (?!?). Mouthfeel is thin and watery, though strangely a bit oily on the tongue at the same time. Carbonation is suprisingly light, alcohol not apparent. I could easily drink a 6er of these if I wanted to.

Everything aside from the taste is as I remembered it. Taste though was a big disappointment.

3.73/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a slightly hazed amber color with a nice big head.

Beer has a nice pine like hoppy nose. There is a bit of citrus noted as well.

There is a tea like quality to this beer. A brewed sun tea like flavor on the front, but then this finishes dry and with a slight citrus hop bite.

Mouthfeel is a tad bit thin, but not bad for the style.

A pretty decent pale, session worthy, and worth a try. Nothing special, just a solid drinkable beer.

3.85/5  rDev +5.5%

Poured golden-orange and hazy with about a half-inch of dull yellow head. The head gradually faded leaving behind a nice lacing on the glass.

The aroma was a blast of fresh hops, very citrusy and mouth watering. The aroma was so thick you could taste it on the back of the pallete. There was certainly no shortage of hops when they dry-hopped (I'm assuming it's a dry-hopped beer) this beer.

The beer had a very agressive hop citrusy hop flavor that was very upfront. It spread all over the tongue and you could taste the hops throughout the entire first sip. As I continued drinking the beer the edge backed off from the strong hoppy flavor, but it stayed present throughout the entire beer. While it was very agressive it didn't cross the line in to an overly bitter hopped beer. The flavor, while intense, was smooth, and left a nice tingling sensation on the tongue. While I wouldn't want to throw back a few of these it was a nice hop experience that I would most certainly like to repeat again.

This beer was served in a cold pint glass on tap at the Ithaca Ale House.

3.7/5  rDev +1.4%

Smells of hops and citrus. Amber in color with a slight beige head. The first taste includes a bite of carbonation and hops. The second taste consists mainly of hops and a bit of spice. The hops linger in the mouth and into the third taste. Easy drinking for an APA. Overall a good beer. This is the first beer that I've sat down and reviewed in FC. The past hundred or so I've been selfish and just drank for enjoyment. I'd drink again if my cousin brings it over again.

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

hazy brownish orange, with a not quite white head.
nice hoppy aroma containing citrus, mostly a sweet grapefruit, and some pine. it's takes on a pungent perfume-y quality, with just a hint of mint. i'm not picking up any malts.
the taste is again, hoppy, with grapefruit, but also a very nice light lemony flavor. the malts don't really have any chance of coming through, as the hops really dominate here.
the thinner side of medium body sort suits it's dominating hops, lending a little to drinkability, which is quite good. it's very hoppy, but not harsh in the slightest. really quite nice, even if it is more on the IPA side of things. i don't know why it took me so long to try.

4.18/5  rDev +14.5%

I got this brew on tap at Tank's Taproom in Tampa, Fl. The bartender said it was a fast seller and I can see why. This brew had a nice bit of fluffy head that left lots of fluffy and sticky lace, but did have high retention. The smell was the only aspect that was less than good, it was just weak. The taste on the other hand was like a hops explosion in your mouth. Very drinkable. Don't drink and review.

3.73/5  rDev +2.2%

Poured from a bottle into my East End pint glass.

Pours with a nice two finger head, creamy-tan colored and resilient, as it falls to a nice lacing. Slightly hazy, copper colored body.

The nose bursts with hops, floral and piney. I can smell it sitting there beside me, let alone when I bring it to my sensor.

Oddly enough, that hop presence isn't as big in the taste. Its there, in the form of a dry crisp hoppy finish that follows a good malty fronting, but I'm surprised its not as hoppy merely based on the smell. I'm thinking it may be related to the freshness of the beer.

Nice crisp mouthfeel, quite drinkable, this would be a tasty session beer. I'd like to try it as fresh as possible as I'm sure that would improve the taste. It does leave me with a nice hop-burp.

4.65/5  rDev +27.4%

I had my doubts about this beer before trying it solely based upon the god-awful flashy label. I took that as a sign that this beer was trying to hard to tell me how "cool" it was without putting the effort into the brew itself. I was wrong. This is a great pale ale and one of the nicest I've tried in a while.

Pours a beautiful copper with a perfect head. Chilled but not icey cold so that you can actually smell and taste the lovely hops. I could have had another of these easily.

I tried this while visiting Boulder at Illegal Pete's on Pearl St along with a burrito. A highly recommended combination.

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

Had this beer on tap the other night. The brew had a nice copper color with a nice sized beige head that had good retention and left a fair amount of lacing. The aromas of this brew where of both hops and sweet malt. The hops gave it a citrus like scent that was more dominant but played nicely with the malt. The taste was nice, the hops where not over baring and actually where not overly noticeable till the middle and end of a sip. The malt was the first thing that I was able to notice, a nice sweet caramel flavor that was a great start to this beer. Over all I would say that this is a very drinkable brew, one that I could see myself enjoying an evening with. First offering from Boulder but now has my interest and will look for more.

4.7/5  rDev +28.8%

Apperance- A light copper ale with a thin white head that lasts for a good while.

Smell- Just an amazing aroma!!! Full of hops, but its not pungent or over powering. Very floral

Taste- The malt is very light not much there at all, mildly sweet. As for the hops bitterness is low and just like the armoa it tastes floral and not over powering

Mouthfeel- This beer is light in gravity, mildly carbonated. Even though there is great amount of hops and not much malt in this brew it is very ballanced and smooth.

Drinkability- I love this beer. I can drink this beer all day on a hot summer day. Great taste, ballanced and with a low/average ABV% it is something that you can enjoy many of without killing yourself

4.03/5  rDev +10.4%

A - 3 finger head over a brown/bronze ale. Lots of tiny bubbles.

S - super grassy and dank hop aroma, I could smell this pungent brew before I even poured it. Smells very "herbal," and I don't mean herbal as in spices. I mean herbal as in Grateful Dead concert herbal. Cut grass, citrus rind, floral hops.

T - Very hoppy and delicious. Hops are very raw and dry tasting and very in your face. Green grass and farmyard hay. Mandarain oranges.

M - Acidic, medium to light bodied and decently carbonated with a moderately dry finish. Nice long lasting herbal/floral aftertaste.

D - Excellent., but the dry hopped acidity can become a bit harsh after two or three.

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

Should be called Crazed and Delusion(al). Long time drinker first time reviewing. The pour has a good clarity with a light copper color. A fuzzy white head that over time hides to the edge of the glass. Limited lacing though.

The nose has a big hop appeal. Mostly piney with strong notes citrus undertones. No malt aromas to really speak of. Makes me think for of an IPA then a APA.

The taste is still hop dominate, but the malt brings some flavor out as well. The hops are strong on the finishing hops but some zingy bitterness is noticeable as well. The finishing hops have a cascade like taste with an appeal of citrus back note. The malt is basic with a Pale Ale flavor, but still noticeable to back up some of the hop profile.

The body has mid to light feel. Carbonation is somewhat high that is amplified by the citrus zing from the hops. Overall this is a great beer for the hops in all of us. You'd be crazy & delusional not to try it!

4.1/5  rDev +12.3%

Pours a cloudy, bright copper color with a beautiful, airy yet frothy head that retains magnificently transforming into a rocky mound afloat the beer. Great lacing to decorate the glassware as well. Nice!

Smells of slightly sweet malts and citrus and slightly piney hops. Caramel notes.

Taste begins with nice caramel malts, grain, and citrusy hops and end dry and semi-astringent, with full on hops. Very nice.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied but maybe slightly overcarbonated. Very crisp.

Extremely drinkable offering here from Boulder who seldomly dissapoints. This is a GREAT session beer.

3.3/5  rDev -9.6%

Pours a hazy orangish copper color with a spotty lace. Smell is dominated by a nice array of fresh citrusy hops and a little bit of pine as well. Taste much like the aroma is dominated by the hops as they are all over the place. Overall, this is not a terrible APA but it really lacks in balance. If it had a little more of a malt presence, it would take this brew to another level. Not bad, just not something I will likely get again.

3.35/5  rDev -8.2%

12oz bottle with the trippy hippy label, hops resembling pot leaves--a member of the Boulder's Looking Glass series. Pours a cloudy copper with orange hues. The head is very creamy and thick, a very defined and impressive cap of foam forms in the center.

The aroma is light and lemony, with hops beneath the zesty almost dish soap like scent. The flavor is also light and lemony, the hops shoved into the background--the flavor also resembles dish soap. The flavor is disappointing after the refreshing scent and impressive appearance. It's a tastes a little metallica and out of balance.

The mouth is light, has great carbonation, but is a bit uneven and lacks complexity. This is very drinkable, maybe good as a refreshment or with certain foods, but doesn't offer much in the way of character or complexity. Solid for summer session beer.

3.93/5  rDev +7.7%

Solid color, darkish red. Citris hops, very nice smell. Decent taste, doesn't live up to aroma. Sorta like the Mojo but less tasty. Bit of a rough edge on sides of tongue. Not bad but Mojo is beter offering by Boulder Beer Co. Nice carbination, good feel. All the details of a real good beer but the taste doesn't live up to everything else. So all in all this is a medium-good beer. You could do worse. But you could do better with the same brewery.

Next time I had this after mowing the lawn it really hit the spot. Taste is probably more like a 4 but the drinkability suffers since it's hit or miss depending on your mood.

3.53/5  rDev -3.3%

Nice brew, just a bit on the quirky side. Started good with a hazy amber pour, frothy ivory head. A real hop-sical in the aroma, tons of hops, pine, citrus and floral.

But the taste, yeah it was hoppy, but lacking any real flavor. Very surprising. Dry and tart, it was worth a try and would have another – if offered or available.

Hazed & Infused from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub