Hazed & Infused - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

good

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Quaffer on 10-12-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazed & Infused Alström Bros
3.38/5  rDev -7.7%

Moderately thick, dense, light cream colored head fades to a thin coating leaving a patch sheet of lace. Nice juicy citrus hop aroma that has a spicy note to it. Transparent, light amber colored beer is a bit hazy. What happened, it smelled so good? There is barely any flavor. Maybe a pinch of tea flavored hops, but nothing like the aroma. There is a bit of chewy grapefruit hop flavor that fades in towards the end, but by then it's too late. Moderately light body, and it's really fizzy across the tongue. Maybe the carbonation is stripping away the flavor. Ah, whatever. It's decent, but I was expecting so much more after the first glance and sniff.

HappyHourHero, Jun 11, 2005
3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

A decent, good looking and good smelling beer. A good hot day session beer, crisp and very drinkable. Not one of the true standouts of the style though, with a bit of an unfinished taste to it. Pretty good pucker from the hops, which start with a tad of citrus and end piney. But there is just not enough of it in-between to make it one of the elite.

hustlemuscle, Jun 10, 2005
3.23/5  rDev -11.7%

Aroma: Terrificic for sytle. Very floral. Low malt. Low alcohol. But both noticable.
Appearance: Nice copper to golden color. Not much in the head, but well carbonated. A lively beer.
Taste: Nose starts off well. Overwhelming grassy and earthy flavors, again good for style. Body falls a bit weak, and finishes a bit weak and metalic. Hops remain but disipate evenly, leaving the beer a bit too salty.
Aftertaste: weak, metalic. But hop character reamins. Little sweetness, not too dry, not too tacky.
Impression: A nice summertime beer for thirst quenching. Nice beer to pick up along the way, but wouldn't seek it out.

BEERchitect, Jun 05, 2005
3.3/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours out of the bottle shining like a new penny, not really looking all that unfiltered. Abundant head sprinkled with yeast particles sticks around for quite awhile.Smells like, well, hops, which is pretty much expected, given the name and the blurb on the side of the bottle. The first taste comes as somewhat of a shock to my dry, parched mouth.

That's hops alright, but it fades into something that is best described as nothing. Okay, Hop-driven is fine, but a bit more maltiness would not be unappreciated.

Kind of an iced- tea out of a can flavor. But I don't think this would keep that evil lookin' snow man from melting. Wow, that was an odd reference, right?

But as always, drinkability is key. And this one doesn't lack in that factor. Availability is also key, and this will probably be the last bottle of beer from Rockies that I see, unless they start getting a New Belgium style following out here. There are too many better pales out there for me to make much effort in seeking this out again.

germaniac, Jun 03, 2005
2.4/5  rDev -34.4%

Appearence: Into to the nonick it poured a clear (hazed my ass) copper with a nice, creamy white head,

Smell: The smell is of earthy, herbal hops that aren't as aromatic as I'd hope for a Pale Ale.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Hmmm. This has a very generic hop taste, as I noticed is kind of a trend with these Rockies brews. It's trying to be lucious and herbal, but winds up being boring, with no real complexity or flavor worth noting. The mouthfeel is medium bodied.

Drinkability and Overall: This is an unimpressive Pale Ale from what's turning out to be an unimpressive brewery for me. Bland and boring, this beer looks good, but has no real flavor. The Mojo was better - and that's not saying much.

santoslhalper, May 29, 2005
2.55/5  rDev -30.3%

Poured a hazy coppery orange with a light head that left fairly quickly. Weak lacing.

Aroma was not strong but there was some pine and citrus hops there.

Taste. Ewwwe. Immediate piney hops but is gone in a flash. What is left is a clubsoda/tetleytea kind of flavor.

Mouthfeel thin and a little carbonated. Not that slick oil feel.

Drinkability. Well since it isn't overly hoppy, or too oily or filling, I could see how someone could have many of these in a sitting...if it weren't for the taste.

stegmakk, May 26, 2005
3.53/5  rDev -3.6%

A strange tasting beer: green, herbaceous, and tea-like. Also, oddly nutty, like a brown ale though the body was no darker than deep copper-bronze. It was served with a tall, buff head and a smell that came and went before I could seize it. It would seem the dry hopped aroma did not survive to my pint in Portland.

I like the name of this ale, and I like the beer itself, though I can foresee that others won’t care for it. It is a bit unusual.

RedDiamond, May 17, 2005
4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

All the goodness of Hazed & Infused in the bottle without the chunky particles I experienced in the bottle (which I suspected had a bit of age behind it). Nice, soft lacing. Lots of fresh hop aroma, without the 'traditional' Cascades, other than a bit in the kettle, but not in the aroma. Nicely balanced, provided a rather thin body. Wonderfully balanced and drinkable. A new, to PA, sessioner pale ale that stands up amongst the best of 'em. The secret is in its drinkability. I'm going back for seconds...

crookedhalo, May 03, 2005
3.7/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours out a clear light amber color with a small tan foamy head. The head shrinks away leaving a slight scattering of sticky lace. Fresh hoppy aroma with plenty of floral and citric hops. A bit piney and solid malt backing the hops up. Flavor starts with a sweet caramel before a lighter than expected citric hop bitterness comes in. The nose definitely has more hop presence than the flavor. A bit weaker than I like but still tasty. Body is a bit thin but goes down smooth. Easy drinking and a solid example of the style. Thanks to Secret Bunny 05 and nvsblman for the brew!

meathookjones, Apr 27, 2005
4.18/5  rDev +14.2%

22 oz. bottle. Interesting beer in the fact that it is promoting itself as a hoppy brew (certainly not a flase claim), yet isn't an IPA, nor does it try to be, and has a significantly lower ABV than all American IPA's and the majority of it's APA counterparts.

Pours a glowing sunset orange, very little head. Chalky floral hops in the nose. Flavor profile doesn't show off the hops as much, but keeps things balanced with a caramel malt backbone. The hops are the focal point though, and they shine nicely, along with a bit of a sweetness in the finish. Dry, and the hops are more noticeable in the lingering aftertaste than in the initial flavor.

Bottom line: I would buy this ALL the time if it were readily available here in Philly. Why? Don't get me wrong, HopDevil would remain a staple of my diet, and I would still purchase it in mass, but this is hoppy and much, much lighter than the Devil, and the ABV is lower. This all equates to being one hell of a session beer, without leaving me feeling like I ate a 5 course meal. Very nice.

IrishRedRock, Apr 23, 2005
3.43/5  rDev -6.3%

This pours a light hazy yellow with a white short-lived head.

It has a floral aroma that translates into a light refreshing taste. A good blend of the hop bitterness and malt. This is a refreshing beer. It has light clean mouth and little aftertaste, just a hint of the hop bitterness and no alcohol or acidic aftertastes.

This is a good beer for the deck and a session.

beercollector, Apr 07, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +16.9%

First off it has a neat trippy bottle label. It pours a nice bronze color and has a nice frothy white head that leaves good lacing in my glass.

The aroma is very hoppy, a nice blend of citrus notes. It's flavor is very hoppy, but not as much as I expected. It is very nice to have a beer dry-hopped with something besides Cascade, not that Cascade hops are bad, just used by everyone. All in all it is a pretty damn good APA. Nice and hoppy and very easy to drink.

RushLimbmalt, Apr 04, 2005
3.93/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Pours a clear amber fading to orange edges. Carbonation cascades throughout the body. A sudsy ivory cap forms and retains well.

Smell: Citrusy goodness! Heavy on the orange peel and grapefruit with some pine notes in the back. A classic American "hoppy ale smell"

Taste: Follows the smell pretty consistently. Pine, orange, and lemon zest, a touch of cloves or a peppery finish. Sadly, this fades to watery and slightly oxidized.

Mouthfeel: A little too thin and watery for me. Still, it's got a lot of character initially but then drops off quickly.

Drinkability: Very quaffable. This would be a good "everyday beer" for hopheads. There are betters out there but this definitely scratches the "hop itch" well.

mattcrill, Apr 02, 2005
3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

This is one of those beers that I've always avoided simply because of the packaging... to me the hops on the bottle looked more like pot plants and I figured that this was some silly hippie "infused with hemp seeds" type of brew.

That being said, I'm not quite sure what encouraged me to buy a sixer of this, but I did and was pleasantly surprised. It pours amber/copper in color and the citrusy smell of the hops hits the nose with just enough punch to push you to tip the glass. The flavor is that of an APA, with sweet malt and a citrus bite, but not just a little, a lot of hop. Mmm. Hops. I'd buy this again.

bucko, Mar 31, 2005
4.75/5  rDev +29.8%

I wasn't really expecting a whole lot from this brew, but I picked it up out of novelty factor since I was back home in Omaha, looking for a new Pale Ale, and I loved the Dazed & Confused movie. But lo and behold, upon the first sip I decided I would immediately have to advocate this to any of my friends I came into contact with the rest of the night.

The appearance is typical of an APA, so from at the time of the pour, I was at least content that the beer looked great with a golden amber hue and a very lively, frothy white foam cap. From the smell I knew I was in for a citrusy treat, but I had no idea the hoppy, citrusy taste would be even stronger than the smell! It tastes like tangerines, grapefruits, oranges lemons, etc. I love you, centennial hops! Even has a slightly banana ester quality about it. The mouthfeel was very mild, but expressed a whole multitude of sweet/sour/bitter citrusy hop flavors, even a slight biscuit/caramel malty flavor when swished around. I have never had a pale ale with such fruity definition, not even dry hopped. The only reason I didn't give it a 5 for drinkability (even though the alcohol content is low) is because there is only so much citrus the palate can take for the night before you hit the overload point, especially when it comes to a beer with even a hint of a dry finish such as this.

I can't wait to make my first trip to Colorado since coming of age with all of the wonderfull breweries I've tried from the area, but it may have to wait until summer time or later, unfortunately.

Edit: as one of my other fellow reviewers said, "This reminds me of the stickiest of the icky."

neonbrown82, Mar 16, 2005
3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

A very interesting APA. Part of the "Looking Glass Series" of specialty beers from this brewery, according to the label. This pours a mildly hazed, amber body with a large, rocky, offwhite head. Good retention and clingly clumps of lace are left on the glass. Aroma is all hops, but are smooth and citrusy, mostly fresh peeled orange. Grassy and lemony hop notes are in the background. Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium carbonation. Taste underwhelms with orange and pink grapefruity hops. Caramel and pale malt sweetness is very understated. Nothing really special here, as the hops and malts are both restrained. The result is an extremely drinkable and well balanced ale that is highly sessionable. I could knock down several of these if I were thirsty.

merlin48, Feb 28, 2005
3.33/5  rDev -9%

This was introduced to me as crafted towards the hops so I can not slight it on its unbalanced nature.

Poured a rich amber honey (nice color) with a short head that dissipated quickly leaving a cascading white-washed lace with varing sized bubbles. The flowery hops and fruit/sweet filled the nose ending with a slight bitter, perhaps white pine. The taste was smooth, crisp, light, with a lot of hops. These hops are more aligned with the nose - more their subtle essence, flowery, versus the bitter. The carbonation and dryness rise this up to the soft palate and finishes. I found this finish a bit thin and just prior "watery". Once the mouthful was gone there was no palate memory of the first 2/3rds of the taste. Despite, this beer is quite drinkable and I appreciated the recommmendation to meet this subtle/flowery quality of hops.

yoko, Feb 27, 2005
3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

Cloudy copper beer with a typical IPA cream colored head. Just looks "right", though. Beautiful Centennial hop aroma with just enough malt sweetness to compliment the floral hop notes. Fairly bitter on the palate, but with enough malt to support it. However, there’s a dry, earthy note to this beer. There have been a few other beers over the years that have a similar woodiness to them. It's probably either the crystal hops or the yeast, and I like Rogue Brutal Bitter, so I'm leaning towards the yeast. Not sure though. Anyway, it has a solid mouthfeel but the woodiness detracts from the drinkability and taste.

aaronh, Feb 25, 2005
3.65/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A hop drink! The hop aroma is like sticking your nose in a bag of cascade hops and taking a deep breath. This is not a bad thing, but the beer tastes so much like like a hop flower that its like you are eating a hop bud. Overall bitterness is not overwhelming, however. A nice even bitterness that is somehow rounded out by the malts. Pours a hazy copper color. Refreshing to drink. Not sure what other hops are used in this beer, but it is not overly piney, citrusy, etc. It's just a hop drink.

ahking, Feb 22, 2005
3.73/5  rDev +1.9%

Foggy unfiltered peach hued pour with a quickly departing beige head cap leaving some respectable spider web lace.

Hard candy lolipop floral hops bouquet nose. Dang near 2IPA like, with delicious "raw" hop conifourous aroma.

Fisrt swigs: Acidic zesty hops and mixed lingering hop finish. Some hard candy malt & red apple is backed over with a judicious flavour of citrous lemon peel and sugary tang.

Feel: Thick syrup zinger with full body style for an American Ale. Foamy feel falls just under a soda.

Last swigs: Peachy fruity carbonation yet well balanced. Refreshing Am Ale. This aims at a near IPA but not quite. A welcome hop fix change. Can't get this at Yuenglingville home. Otherwise, no one is missing much. "Blurb about crystal and centennial." Flavor fades fast. Had a 2nd bottle that varried somewhat from the 1st.

Beer is good. Happy beering.

blitheringidiot, Feb 22, 2005
4.58/5  rDev +25.1%

I’m revisiting this beer after a long absence. This was the 1st beer I had from Boulder Brewing Co. and I regret not having reviewed it before. It pours a slightly hazy copper color with a good creamy colored head. A beautiful, delicate lace settles on the side of the glass after the head settles. The nose is like placing your face in a pile of hop flowers (and I’ve done it at the Hop Head Throw-Down). It just fills your nose with the citrus and pine characters. The taste is like biting into a grapefruit. This beer is not about balance (although the malt is there in the form of caramel to temper the hops). The mouth feel is full, and slightly slick. The beer has a great drinkabilty. I’m glad I came back to this beer. Not as balanced as some APAs (Red Seal to mention one), but a great, unusual beer.

carln26, Feb 17, 2005
3.9/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured a slightly hazy amber hue with tons and tons of head, I mean like 6 inches worth, this baby was a fizzer. The head was so creamy, thick, and sticky it reminded me of a rootbeer float.

Had a very pleasant Juniper like hop odor.

A has a nice toasted maltyness to it, slightly bready with a nice slightly green hop flavor, suprisingly balanced.

Mouthfeel is both dry and crisp.

A very easy to drink Pale Ale.

bashiba, Feb 12, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I cant give this a long review. Its a nice IPA (oh excuse me--APA) that seems to not suffer too much coming from the bottle vs. tap. This is a hard thing to accomplish. Extremely impressed with that part of it--some upgrades on score are in order. Amber color-little head, tiny amount of lace.Nose is of pine-scented hops with a dash of malt. Taste is berry-like hops and nicely balanced-doesn't make you belch too much. Oooh --as I look at the ABV, 4.85 fits, we have the perfect session pale ale. That means the drinkability is excellent-another upgrade on score. I hope I am not becoming soft on my reviewing standards.

rousee, Feb 02, 2005
4.45/5  rDev +21.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I was shocked by how poor the reviews were for this beer! I tried it thinking I could use a hop monster at Old Chicago pizza in Brandon Florida. Turns out this is almost the perfect amount of hops. For those that say it is unbalanced, so what? If you don't like it, I think you must be unbalanced! Is Sierra Nevada Celebration balanced? Hell no! The beer has a very citrusy flavor that makes you want to grab for another one. Highly recommended.

Joey7F, Jan 23, 2005
3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a medium orange color with four fingers of heaping head. Nice lacing on the glass as well. The smell is full of hops. A very full nose with lots of juicy citrus hoppiness. The taste is very hoppy as well. Not too much malt coming through. Very citrus in flavor, and there's a hint of a metallic taste on the finish. The mouthfeel is fairly thick and smooth. The drinkability is ok as well. A decent APA.

SheepNutz, Jan 12, 2005