Hazed - Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub

Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub visit their website
Colorado, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Quaffer on 10-12-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hazed Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,960 | Reviews: 880
3.74/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottle > Pint Glass
A - Pours a nice lighter orange color, head is a little thin as is the lacing.
S - Dry hops (go figure), citrus, orange juice, a little light malt, and some nice floral undertones.
T - Comes a little under in the taste, but its quite drinkable, dry bitterness coming from the hops, but with a nice citrus and pine blend thats just enough to coat your palate.
M - Medium, a little harsh dark bitterness that hangs on after a while, and a slight metallic taste.
O - This is a very easy to drink pale ale, that has a unique hop presence that can be appreciated.

4.74/5  rDev +29.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

This beer is the nectar of a goddess!

I primarily drink IPAs, but will ocassionally drink this beer when I need a change of pace.

Very drinkable, nice head, mellow smell, very pleasing taste. This is the type of beer that you can drink a lot of a beer that you can keep in the fridge and have every day.

I highly recommend you at least try this APA.

2.41/5  rDev -34%

Had this beer on-tap at my favorite bar. It was poured into an imperial pint glass.
A: Golden, hazy, big pillow head. The large head gives it a few bonus points.
S: Smells are quite faint, it has some IPA pine and grapefruit citrus scents. Biscuit smell is also present. Nothing too impressive here.
T: Taste are bland and watery. Slight citrus taste, bittering hops are present but faint. I don't taste anything with the front of my tongue, only with the back. The aftertaste seems like dirty tap water. This has a very weak taste.
M: Thin feel, crisp carbonation.
O: I shared the beer with my friends after they noticed my facial expressions, and they had the same overall negative thought about the beer. My friends thought the beer was skunked, but when I was at the bar the previous day it was not on draft, so I have reason to believe that it was a fresh keg. I will not order this beer again.

2.35/5  rDev -35.6%

Appearence: Into to the nonick it poured a clear (hazed my ass) copper with a nice, creamy white head,

Smell: The smell is of earthy, herbal hops that aren't as aromatic as I'd hope for a Pale Ale.

Taste and Mouthfeel: Hmmm. This has a very generic hop taste, as I noticed is kind of a trend with these Rockies brews. It's trying to be lucious and herbal, but winds up being boring, with no real complexity or flavor worth noting. The mouthfeel is medium bodied.

Drinkability and Overall: This is an unimpressive Pale Ale from what's turning out to be an unimpressive brewery for me. Bland and boring, this beer looks good, but has no real flavor. The Mojo was better - and that's not saying much.

3.62/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a classic hoppy golden, light orange, touch of copper…fairly transparent, little bubble action happening here…some light khaki head did form upon pour, but really settled to a thin layer…(3.5/5)

Smell: Definitely dry hopped, there’s an up front earthy, woodsy, mildly citrus (orange, grapefruit) hops aroma…it’s got a fresh, lively smell highlighted by pale/earthy malts…(4/5)

Taste: Tons of bitter hops…I’m getting earthy/woodsy hops, mild pale malts, some lemon peel…it’s very hop dominant, but everything is very mild, I wouldn’t call this a hop bomb or anything near that, at least not in the traditional sense…it’s way more bitter than the typical APA I’ve come across…while that’s not bad, it does limit the amount that I can handle at one time…the longer I drink it, the more the lemon/orange flavors come out, which does bring a little more flavor to this bitter dominant ale…(3.5/5)

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, medium carbonation…fluffs up bringing lemon peel bitterness to the palate…wet and refreshing with a touch of biting bitterness…(3.5/5)

Overall: For an APA, this is definitely a slightly unique take…BBC definitely made the choice to rely on bitter hops as the dominant flavor and in that respect they’ve succeeded…this brew isn’t bad, but isn’t something I could drink more than one or two of in a sitting…though with that said, I could drink it again in the future…it brings a different flavor that could change up the what’s on the palate if you are mixing a sixer for a bonfire party or what-have-you…in that respect, I can easily recommend experimenting with this brew…for me, it’s nothing beyond good, but it is worth trying…(3.5/5)

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%

Poured from bottle into a tulip style glass. The initial pour left about three fingers of foam that retains pretty well. The head is decently sticky, which leads to some good lacing on the glass. The coloring is a darker orange, like you would see in decently malty DIPA's (somewhat darker than you would expect on an APA).

There is a pretty substantial nose on this beer. I get quite a bit of citrus on this beer. It is a pleasantly clean aroma. The flavor falls off quite a bit. It would seem that the hopping is more aroma than flavor. This muted flavor is relatively unchallenging. I was surprised how bland this was, and I really don't feel like finding another bottle anytime soon.

3.31/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

a- bubbly dark copper body, an inch of of tan bubbling head that quickly dissipates, nice lacing left on the glass.

s- sweet and sticky citrus fruits, candied almost, subtle hint of sweet malts, very appealing.

t- not as sweet as the nose, very balanced, citrus rinds and slightly bitter piney hops meddle with a strong malt backbone.

m- thinner body then expected, moderate carbonation, not much bitterness left on the tongue.

o- not a bad beer, appearance and nose had me sold, but the taste left a lot to be desired.

4.27/5  rDev +17%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I think most reviews here have been ovely critical of this brew. This is a great beer. The reason it is not as hoppy as some people feel it should be is because it is a dry-hopped IPA. This makes the finish much, MUCH smoother. Has all the flavor of an IPA, without the bitter finish.

The only problems i have with this beer are:

1. The label needs to be updated. It looks like something out of the early 90's, the fonts and graphics are too busy...the eye tends to glance over the design and move on.

2. Supply. Many local distributers seem to lag on resupplying kegs. I have seen a couple bars in my area (Boston) who stopped carrying this line because it took to long to receive new kegs.

3.35/5  rDev -8.2%

Appearance: Hazy golden/orange hue with effervescence ascending towards a thin foamy off-white head. Good lacing.

Aroma: Orange, earth, pine. Caramel malt.

Taste: Biscuit and caramel malts. Citrusy hops. Decently clean and a bit crisp. Considering that this is several months past the expiration date from the bottle, its held up quite well. What you'd expect from an APA. Sessionable.

Mouthfeel: Just below medium in body (a tad watery). Smooth effervescence and easy drinkability.

Final Thoughts: A good example of the style but not nearly as hoppy as the name suggests. Would I drink it again? I can't see myself seeking it out.

3.12/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Served at the Blue Sky Bar in Concourse A of Denver International Airport.

Hazy, honey-colored body with thin, quickly dissipating although there is a decent amount of lacing forming down the glass . Virtually no distinctive aroma; nada; I'm thinking this beer has been served way too cold....Thin malt flavor with a robust bitterness creeping in at the finish. Light body with a crisp, clean finish. with some hop bittering bite.

A disappointing offering as aroma and flavor are pretty nondescript. Again, I'll attribute this to the cold temperature it was served at. I'll have to buy some for home and give it a whirl. Otherwise, this is a pretty blase and dull APA.

3.1/5  rDev -15.1%

A hazy copper color and some lacing. A hoppy aroma of citrus. Hops, citrus, its crisp some fruit and an unpleasant lemon with some bitterness and high carbonation. Its got to much going on to make it come together nicely. I stated before I drank it that It would not have been my pick based on the label and honestly that design carried over into the brew.

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%

A: Pours a slightly hazy copper color with a one finger soapy tan head. Leaves patches of lace.

S: Big citrus hop aroma off the pour. Grapefruit and orange rind. Smell turns more earthy with a bit o herbal hops and mint as it warms.

T: A bit of a light hop kick right away with some faint lemon and tangerine. Lots of bready malts come in soon after. Some caramel malt, light aspirin and some lemon zest. Finish brings some. Citric resin and grain. Mouthfeel is really light. Definitely a bit of a gateway beer for people who don't think they like hops.

2.14/5  rDev -41.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Pours the weirdest color I've ever seen.. lol. It's like a murky yellowish-orange brown color with a 2 inch, soapy head that lasts for a few minutes. Leaves a very thick lacing.

Smell - Has a very strong bitter funk to it.. with lighter tones of berries (or some similar fruit)

Taste - It has your average pale ale taste with the added caramel and toffee. Bitter, earthy malts, and a very light undertone of some type of fruit..?

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied wit high carbonation.

Overall - I don't know if it's because this is dry-hopped or just because of the ingredients, but it has a very weird funk and feel to it that I don't like.

3.8/5  rDev +4.1%

Served from tap into a shaker. Poured a hazy red-orange with a one finger off-white head that subsided to a half finger slowly. Maintained phenomenal lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, pine, pine hop, citrus, spicy hop, earth, and earth hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, citrus, citrus hop, pine hop, cream, spice, earth, and earth hop. It had a light feel on the palate with medium-high carbonation. Overall this was a fairly good brew. I actually went into this brew not expecting to like it very much. However, I actually found something that I rather enjoyed. The hop profile going on in the aroma on this one was actually quite nice. The flavor however fell a little short though with the cream and spiciness aspect. I really wish that the creamy aspect I picked up on would not have been present as it really stole a lot from the flavor. Glad I got the chance to try this one finally after I have seen it for so long. I suggest you do the same if you get the opportunity.

3.45/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber into my Deschutes tulip...

A - Pours a slightly hazy golden amberinh color, with a foamy 1 1/2 finger of off-white head.

S - Smell is earthy, almost grassy. Almost has an umami-type aroma. Just a hint of citrus.

T/M - Nice toffee/carmel malt backbone but finishes with a hoppy resinous finish. Nothing too bold or over powering, but the hops sneak up at the end. Mouthfeel is a little light, good carbonation.

O - A decent pale, but nothing that'll knock your socks off. Smooth and easy drinking. I'd give it a nod, but nothing I would look out for again.

3.53/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Hazy amber, good head.

Smell: Mild citrus.

Taste: Very balanced pale ale. Bready malt, not too sweet, then a mild citrus finish.

Overall: Picked up a 6 pack of cans as backup beer for the tailgate. Poured one later into a glass for a standard review. This is a decent pale ale, I suppose I'm a little disappointed in the aroma. Pretty standard tasting also, not too memorable, just an easy drinking pale ale.

22 ounce bottle into pint glass, best before 9/27/2012. Pours lightly hazy golden orange color with a nice 2 finger dense light khaki head with fantastic retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lasts. Nice soapy lacing clings to the glass. Aromas of orange, grapefruit, mango, pine, herbal, caramel, toast, and light earth. Very nice aromas with nice balance and complexity. Taste of grapefruit, orange zest, herbal, floral, pine, mango, caramel, toast, grass, and light earth. Fair amount of herbal bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of citrus, pine, herbal, floral, toast, grass, caramel, and light earth on the finish for a bit. Great hop flavor balance and complexity; with a good malt backbone. No cloying flavors at all. Medium carbonation and body; with a fairly creamy and crisp mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is well hidden with only a slight warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice pale ale. Great hop flavor profile and flavor balance; and very smooth to drink as expected of 4.85%. No complaints here, very enjoyable stuff.

3.75/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottle from Gator Beverage. Pours a slight orange copper huge with small white head, cloudy/hazy and a little weird looking. Aroma of citrus and mango, caramel malts backing it up. This comes off much better than Boulder's awful Mojo. A nice hop bite and citrus sweetness on the palate, some grapefruit and mango, and plenty of malt backing keeping it pleasantly sweet. Classic for the style and I would go back again. Good beer. Not groundbreaking but an easy drinker all day long.

3.6/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Bottle poured into pint glass...

Appearance: dark copper color with frosty white head excellent lacing throughout

Smell: piney citrus hops with light malt smell

Taste: Pine and Citrus hops, sweet malt slight alcohol flavor.

Mouthfeel: medium thickness, slight carbonation, slight warming from alcohol

Overall: tasty pale ale hoppy, an enjoyable brew.

3.18/5  rDev -12.9%

Pours a cloudy amber color filled with a big, fluffy white head.

Aroms begin with resiny pine-infused hops, potpourri and dried citrus fruits with just a very slight amount of caramel hiding under all those hops.

The tastes begin with citrus hops that build atop the assertive resiny, flowery hops and earthy undertones. Minimal toasted caramel malt flavor is thoroughly crushed by the hops.

The mouthfeel is medium-thin bodied with a high level of fine carbonation. Finish is chalky with a bitter finish.

Overall this is just a subpar APA overall. Lack of quality hop flavor mixed with sugary, watery base beer. Really just not appealing in any way shape or form.

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Been some time since I've had this one, but I see a new can release, so I'm down.

It's interesting that the more beer I try, the more I seem to notice very particular characteristics. This is dry hopped? Well I certainly seem to be able to taste the dry hops. The flavor profile goes more for a leafy tone than an oil or spicy one. Nice overall flavor. Smooth and consistent. Pleasurable drinking experience.

3.92/5  rDev +7.4%

Thanks to drewsy for the trade!

A- Pours a nectar like hazed coppery brown color, with tinges of red lingering in the background. The head is excellent, forming a three inch thick meringue like top that is eggshell in color, and retains superbly, only losing perhaps an inch of the original puff. From what I can see, there appears to be much fine carbonation, and the lacing looks to be excellent as well, leaving behind thick lines of soapy film! A very fine looking brew!

S- There is a very pleasant mixture of sweet malt and bittering hops present in the aroma. It is slightly citrus like, with some piney notes as well, but as time passes, I find everything to become more faint.

T- This is a very nice tasting brew....if only a little muted overall. There is definitely a bitter hop character, which I find to be of fresh hop leafs. There is a nice balance of 100% all malt sweetness, and due to the yeast, I also find this to have a bread and/or biscuit like flavor that provides a richness I suppose. The hops leave a bittering aftertaste on my palate that lingers, but doesn't offend.

M- I find this to be a solid medium-full bodied brew and the mild carbonation allows this to have a creamy mouthfeel. It finishes smooth as well, really allowing the hops to shine in this one. I think its a wonderfully nice feeling beer on my palate!

O- I find this to be highly drinkable....the alcohol is hidden well, its flavorful, even though I would like it to be slightly more upfront, and its very smooth and easygoing! I would have no problems enjoying more than one of these during a sitting! I highly recommend and feel it's deserving of it's high marks.

2.04/5  rDev -44.1%

22oz bottle with a September 27th 2012 best by date.

Clear, dark copper with a half a finger tan, dense head. Very grassy, biscuity aroma. Seems to me a good amount of crystal malt was used. I get that grainy, dark biscuity aroma pretty clearly. Some citrus notes with a swirl. The hops don't really come through as well as advertised on the bottle. Malt taste starts tart and metallic and drops out quick, leaving a faint bitterness on the back of the tongue along with the metallic taste that came back. Obviously light bodied if the flavor drops out, and it finishes dry.

This comes across as nothing special, start to finish. I'll pass.

3.5/5  rDev -4.1%

1426th Review on BA
Draft to Pint
16oz

@Denver International Airport

App- Big amounts of malty red/brown with only a small amount of head. Didn't leave a ton of cling. A good density in the glass.

Smell- Had a decent amount of hops and was semi balanced out with a strong malt flavor. More of a earthy note above all else.

Taste- Was a nice APA but just needed to dial down the caramel flavors and up the citrus on the finish.

Mouth- A wet medium body with a medium carbonation. A bit of a malty finish.

Drink- For as tired as I was and as hungry as I was. This hit the spot. Probably won't come back to it.

3.91/5  rDev +7.1%

A - Pours a robust amber with a massive foamy head that is leaving lots of lacing on the glass. Lots of carbonation bubbles are rising within the beer to keep the large head in tact.

S - Lots of hops. Very hoppy scent, but can't pick up anything beyond this bold character, beside for maybe a few hints of biscuit and cracker.

T - Initially it's a very hoppy yet equally unhoppy taste, a very odd taste, but it's what I'm running with in its description. Definite taste of buttery biscuit, dinner roll, saltine cracker, and some corn bread sweetness. The sharpness of the hops dominates everything, the rest are experienced in sort of a secondary taste/after taste.

M - Very smooth. Some bite from the carbonation, but otherwise smooth.

O - Not a bad beer. Tastes kind of like an IPA, Pilsner, and maybe a Lager thrown into one. Don't recall an APA having as much flavor as this one did, which is definitely a positive. Keep up the good work Boulder!

Hazed from Boulder Beer / Wilderness Pub