Furious - Surly Brewing Company

Wants: 1,469
Surly Brewing Company visit their website
Minnesota, United States

Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 02-05-2006

A tempest on the tongue, or a moment of pure hop bliss? Brewed with a dazzling blend of American hops and Scottish malt, this crimson-hued ale delivers waves of citrus, pine and carmel-toffee. For those who favor flavor, Furious has the hop-fire your taste buds have been screaming for.
to view more.
Ratings: 4,763 | Reviews: 1,443
Reviews by mjstacker:
4.86/5  rDev +12.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

A hunting we will go, a hunting we will go... The IPA Hunter continues to stalk the streets like Omar, but instead of packages, I'm looking for the world's best India Pale Ales. Plain and simple, this is one tasty mothereffer. I love this one so much, I feel like rapping.

confessing thru diction, wise stood next to the kitchen
that cooked hell's crack, foreseen the death of tradition
odes and laws... caskets, crows galore
demanded with greed, planted the seed that grew the rose of war

propose the raw, that split rivers and rose the shore
potential was tapped, sequential the fact, chose to soar
so i reserve, the right to preserve... this art
to serve and re-serve, whole communities in less than 3 words

may the point reverb…
wanna research the illest mc, then type wise as your keyword
smash you rodents, rap classics, kill ignorant types
for being "rat bastards" like "illegitimate mice"

set fire to a man, then fire to your fam
inspired by “the wire,” fam, wise is in "demand"
no hbo, the system, supply and demand
for a real king with skills, then admire when i jam

like iron in the hand, retire if you can
battlin’ requires attire, this fire, give a tan
from a line, buyers, aspire to a gram
murder for hire, you wanna hire for your clan?

gotta decline, with honor, like the sire that i am
and anyone with an issue, can lie up in the sand
gotta keep this wisdom, conspired to a brand
believe shit can get greasy like fryin’ in a pan

expire and expand, got priors and a ban
for bangin’ out, unless a ceasefire is the plan
put ya lil' ratchets away, whatever homey's got heart
gon see strays from everywhere, like kobe's shot chart

2.71/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 2 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

Just not very good. Too much malt which overpowers the hops.

4.74/5  rDev +10%

I've had this twice now - at Darkness Day, and at Night of the Living Ales. It's always a huge treat to have this one. Served in my NLA taster glass.

A - Hazy orange-brown color, with a nice bunch of persistent bubbles on top. Not much in the way of head or lace. It's a cask beer - this is how they look! I just find cask beer decidedly unsexy looking, even if I love the taste & mouthfeel.

S - Wow! Furious on crack! Tremedous citrus (tangerine, grapefruit, orange) with some tropical fruits (pineapple & mango). There's also some floral and grassy notes not present in regular Furious - I'm guessing there is a huge amount of amarillo involved in the second dry-hopping. In any case, it's huge & delicious.

T - It's just as delicious as regular Furious. Tons of hops, candied citrus, solid caramel malt balance, with a mild residual bitterness. I did notice that after the fifth or sixth pour the bitterness got a bit tiring. It's also a tiny bit of a letdown from the smell. Those two elements keep me from giving this a perfect score.

M - Smooth, medium-bodied, low carbonation (obviously!), great residual stickiness. Velvet creaminess, yet very refreshing!

D - Hmm...low carbonation + medium ABV + incredible flavor = I can't stop drinking this. It's probably a good thing Tea-Bagged Furious isn't available more often, otherwise I'd be adhered to a bar stool somewhere and my wife would be filing a missing persons report - seriously though, this is an incredible brew, and combines the best of extreme American hop profile with traditional English real ale texture. If appearance didn't matter so much on this site it'd be my top-ranked brew.

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Canned 7/17/14 and poured 9/8/14. Price interestingly enough isn't on the can like the others one I got from Four Firkins. I'd guess maybe $4 for a single can wouldn't be far off.

Appearance: Semi-aggressive pour gives the darkest looking single IPA I think I've ever seen. A copper brown color with some orange tints. There are also a lot of "floaters" in the glass. The head is sand colored and bout a finger in height, and there is a little bit of initial sticky lacing. Looks pretty nice. (4.25/5)

Smell: Wow that is a malty sweet smelling IPA, yet it's coupled with insane amounts of hops. Man. Tropical fruits and citrus galore in this beer with maybe a slight floral character. This was canned about two months ago but the strength of the hop aroma coming from Furious wouldn't suggest that at all. (4.75/5)

Taste/feel: I'm assuming it's the choice of hops in this beer, but there's something different about this beer as opposed to many others in the style. I get a really nice malt flavor on the front, but without a lot of sweetness -- hops immediately take over and the beer's bitter from then on. Loads of every tropical fruit ever (except durian... is that considered tropical?) with citrus, pine resin, and a little floral notes as well coming through. Aftertaste is a bit "sticky" from the hops, quite bitter, and with a little lingering malt flavor. Rinse and repeat. This beer is packing an impressive amount of flavor even at "just" 6.2%. The body is about medium with a fairly high, prickly carbonation. It seems weird, because this beer feels like it could easily be a DIPA, but considering the ABV, it works well. (4.5/5, 4/5)

I'd've LOVED to find Abrasive when I was in Minneapolis so I could compare the two, but I guess it's not out right now. Hopefully next time. Furious is a great beer that's appropriately named. This is an IPA that's in your face with the hops... but it remains somewhat balanced. Sure, it's bitter and hoppy as hell, but Surly surely didn't forget the malts. This drinks like a world-class DIPA for the most part, but it's actually a single IPA... that makes it all the more impressive.

TL;DR: The flavor of a DIPA with the alcohol of a SIPA. Must-buy.

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%

Finally after long last my FIRST Surly beer,thanks Erik.Pours a deep burnt orange color with a full half finger slight off white head that leaves a few broken rings of lace as it settles.Hop oils really jump out at ya in the aromas just resiny and sharp goodness,sweetish caramel malts stand out as well.Resiny and with sharp grapefruit rind hops up front on the palate,alot of sharpness,followed by some nuttiness and quite sweet caramel malts.It is a big hop machine,sharp and bitter,I love the hops and really like this beer.

3.06/5  rDev -29%

Appearance: Dirty ruby-orange body with lots of carbonation and a head that just won’t quit. The beige crown is exceptionally thick both in dimension and in density. This froth reminds me of a trick a Czech broad taught me years ago when I was staying with her in France. If one could balance a small coin, the pre-Euro Czech equivalent to the dime on the head of a beer for ten seconds, then the beer was good. Well this beer looks like its froth could balance a half dollar for a minute!

Aroma: Pine tree forest soaked in butter toffee. I can smell bitterness to the point where my eyes are watering. Some fruity esters of pineapple and touches of citrus. Pine really dominates.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Painful. Furious is one of the most antagonistic and rancorous beers to have4 ever touched my lips. It hurts to drink. The body is so dry that I started to get a dehydration headache after a few gulps. To make matters worse, it seemed to fry my taste buds so that after the first sip or two I couldn’t really taste the beer, save a vague pine quality and the presence of acrid citrus. Big, huge, bitterness and hop presence but not in a good way for me. I can see why others love this but this is just too bitter and unbalanced for my liking and therefore not drinkable in the slightest.

Thanks to Jeff Krenner for the 4-packs.

Side Note: I had the tea-bagged Furious on cask and liked it much more than the regular.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Huge shoutout to maximum12 for throwing me some of these. He is an amazing trader - absolutely crushed me with extras. Ever since I fell head over heels in love with Abrasive, I couldn't wait to get my hands on this stuff. It pours a brown-tinted copper color, deep and rustic; light ruby hints blanket the edges. The eggshell-colored cap is cloudy and puffy, showing insane retention and leaving some fat, chunky lacing behind. Beautiful beer.

The best way for me to accurately describe the aroma would be "fresh hops". It doesn't sound like much, but the pureness and unabashed raw power radiating from this brew is simply excellent. It doesn't have as large of a citric quality as Abrasive (and I don't believe it is supposed to), but it makes up for that with some of the freshest hop aromas in the neighborhood. Leaves, grass, and florals, along with a very mild pepper spice. Simply bursting with raw hoppy goodness.

Though the fruity aspect may not be as big as Abrasive, that would be like saying Tiger Woods isn't as good of a golfer as Arnold Palmer. Furious still has a large citrus presence in the background of the aroma - zesty grapefruit peels and juicy citrus quadrants. There's a mild, oily pungency that hits hard in the final moments of the aroma's time inside your nostrils. Furious smells damn good; I imagine it's largely on par with sticking your face into a bucket full of fresh hops and citrus peels. Doesn't get much better.

The flavor profile is build upon a blanket of lightly toasted caramel and toffee flavored malts. It's evident from the appearance of Surly that caramel malts may have been used and the first sip easily confirms that. The malty body couples nicely with the heavy, earthy hop foundation. Peppery, herbal, ashy, and leafy, the hops carry over the same tone of freshness that they had in the aroma onto the palate. The earthy qualities may be a little more pronounced, but it still screams "hops!"

Grapefruit rinds and tangerines peels outline the s edges, providing a slight balance to the hop flavors and the faint sweetness from the malts. Bitterness is pretty relevant throughout the entirety of the glass (or can, I should say), although it's low enough to gulp Furious without hurting your mouth - this stuff goes down way too easy. I couldn't believe when I found out this stuff is 99 IBUs; doesn't taste like it at all. A very nice collaboration of bread, caramel, peppery hops, and grass leaves your palate satisfied after every sip. Medium bodied, crisp from high carbonation, just on the edge of being sticky and coating.

Well, there you have it. This stuff is amazing. So easy to drink and so damn delicious. Reasonably priced for a 4-pack of 16 oz. cans, too. Why in the hell doesn't this stuff leave Minnesota? If I could go to the store and buy this myself, it would easily be a staple in my fridge. Or my life.

4.32/5  rDev +0.2%

This beer pours a hazy, mild brown with a soft white head. A great caramelly hop aroma is followed by a slightly bitter, creamy taste when it hits your lips. It finishes with both sweet and sour notes and leaves a great aftertaste in your mouth. It's definitely among the best canned beers I've ever had.

4.42/5  rDev +2.6%

A – Deep maple amber. Incredible lace and nice retention on a foamy khaki head.

S - Pungent citrus and piney hops with notes of orange, grapefruit and grass. Caramel and toffee malt are noticeable in the background as well as some floral notes.

T - There's a lot of fruit character - grapefruit, orange, and some tangerine. The hops actually give the perception of sweetness, though the beer is very bitter.

M - The mouthfeel is very nice. It starts off with a bit of body, then finishes dry. There isn't much carbonation, which makes it nice and smooth. It's very drinkable overall.

O - Awesome IPA from Surly. Glad I got to try this one.

4.22/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a deep amber body and the bubbles actually churn furiously under the pillowy white head as it is poured. Aroma is inviting leafy, earthy hops and a hint of amonia. Medium bodied and surprisingly not overly bitter. Great hop flavor especially in the finish. The malt seems to be keeping the bitterness honest, but I can't really detect any distinguishable malt flavors. Good drinkability for 99 IBUs.

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16oz can poured into 2 New Belgium goblets shared with hu5om:

A: Little-to-no head, which dissipated quickly following the pour. a dark mauve color that is rather opaque with no sediment visible.

S: Very sweet citrus smell with a lingering aroma of hops.

T: An excellent hoppy beer, an IPA though not labelled as such by Surly. Citrus flavors are omnipresent and the hops give the mouth a solid buzz.

MF/D: A blast of taste overshadows the carbonation making it a smooth hop-beer. a fantastic (as always) beer from a can.

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

16oz can with some badass artwork. I would love to see more brewers do these big cans, they're quite nice IMHO! Pours into my glass a deep amber orange with a nice pillowy white head on top. Pretty good clarity with plenty of carbonation. Lookin good. Aromas start off with some nice caramel malts and sweet candy scents. Big hops burst out with lots of citrus and pine all over the place. Lots 'o hop oils in this one with a definite grapefruit accent. Draws me in....

First sip brings a smooth caramel malt with a light candy sweetness that's quickly followed by a wave of dense hop flavors. Lots of citrus including orange and grapefruit alongside pine resin. Fresh green hop oils blast out all over the place. Flows down with a nicely balanced bitterness. Finishes smooth where each sips just begs you to take another. Hoppy burps are in full effect. This is some good shit no doubt.

Mouthfeel is smooth with a near perfect body. Carbonation is wonderful adding a creamy aspect to each sip. Furious is an incredibly drinkable beer and I could see myself downing quite a few cans if I had it more readily available. Just a damn fine IPA all around. Please start distributing this in Illinois soon! Yum.

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

Cans...gotta love 'em...tall boys of beer should be a standard...

Clear, dark copper colored body. Basically white head on top, came on about an inch thick and reduced to a thinnish layer. Lacing grabs the glass well.

Lots of citrus hops, grapefruit and a touch of tangerines. Crystal malting comes in too with some caramel sweetness to round it out. Quite the potent aroma, which is a standard I have come to expect with cans.

Taste is loaded with hops as well. Citrus pith and some pine resin add a nice bitterness to this. Caramel and a touch of biscuit malts underneath work to balance this out. Some straw and herbal hops finish. Overall it seems pretty balanced although there are a lot of hops in it. The flavor profile is pretty simple but it doesn't hold back at all. This is good.

Medium bodied, low carbonation. Coats the tongue and cheeks and allows the bitterness to hang on well after the swallow. Drinkability is really good. Strong flavor and aroma that isn't overly comlicated. It has enough in it to make it interesting but can still be put down easily.

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is my first can, received via trade.

Pours a nice translucent amber with little to no head. Consider lacing for the small about of carbonation.

Oh my hoppiness. This my friends is a serious IPA. I smell pale, and fresh cascade(?). Lots of pine. Boy do I want to taste this. No ABV in the smell, which is impressive for the 6.2 considering.

** The best part of the smell is it doesnt go away. Ive noticed a number of Pale/IPA types will lose smell after a minute or so.

Where did it go? I get small pale pine to start, and a nice finish. Not as heavy as the smell, but nice. Pale in the finish is good, but start isnt there. ABV is present but not bad.

Fresh yet unispiring. Though what should be expected in an AIPA? Belch is nice and hoppy, which is a good sign.

I want to call this a sipping beer on a very hot day. I say this not because of the ABV, but due to the finish. The finish is the best part, but it takes a while to appreciate.

If I saw it, id get it. I dont think I would trade for it again. I am interested in additional Surly as this is my first.

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%

Cans from DBhog and JDV, thanks guys!

Poured into a standard pint glass this beer produced a nice amber hue with a long lasting 1 finger head. The aroma consisted of pine and citrus. The taste almost mirrors the smell for me. I found that the first sip is very crisp due to the hop profile and carbonation. This beer, however, finished very dry. This is an excellent IPA and should be looked out for. Well done Surly!

4.73/5  rDev +9.7%

Can into my 21st Amendment tulip.
Shocked to see I hadn't reviewed this beer yet. About time before I run out of my stash from my recent roadtrip.
Beautiful pour. Nice head. Dark copper appearance.
Aroma and taste measure up to any standard. Fresh hop like presence. A fantastic representation of the style that would make it anywhere.
Too bad they are not more widely distributed.

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

Can date 6/16/11 consumed 8/3/11

A- Pours a clear copper with two fingers of tan head. Head has decent retention but leaves only a small amount of lacing.

S - Lots of pine up front, mixed with some caramel, a but of grass and quite a bit of citrus on the tail end.

T - Similar to smell with a nice punch of pine accompanied by caramel malt. After the pine fades, a big rush of citrus with a bit of earthiness on the finish.

M - medium mouthfeel, a bit lighter than I would have expected. Carbonation a little on the low side. Finishes dry and bitter.

O - a very nice IPA that I would be happy to have again. Wouldn't go to far out of my way to get though, considering the more easily obtainable alternatives.

4.54/5  rDev +5.3%

I am furious... and don't call me Surly.

Pours deep amber red with a head that hangs on for dear life. Catty, piney aroma - the hops about snarl at you, appropriate to the beer's name - with an underlying faint coffee aroma, which is neat.

99 IBUs and every one of them is damned glad to meet ya. Starts with an aggressive, hops loud and proud attack on the tongue, then a darkly malt-and-grain maltiness arrives - coffee? toasty-roasty flavors I can't quite put my fingers on - that compliments the hop aggression almost perfectly. No lingering sweetness - definitely hops,. more hops, and dryish malts. The aftertaste is nigh on perfect - bitter, complex, dry-malty... fun brew. Moderate mouthfeel completely in character. Extremely drinkable thanks to the lack of any filling sweetness - all about the hops and dryness. Really dug this brew.

Thanks to BA JeffKrenner for the can!

4.57/5  rDev +6%

This beer is pretty like a woman. It's a little on the dark side for a pasty white boy like me--it's nearly opaque and looks much stronger than its 6.2% single-IPA status would suggest. The big, frothy head sure is inviting.

The smell is simply hoptastic. It smells like yummy hop juice. If you're into hops (and you wouldn't be reading this if you weren't), this might be THE one for you.

It tastes a little thin and its bodily feel is more indicative of its relatively normal alcohol content. But it's a single IPA! It really tastes great like a Miller Lite should (a la "tastes great..." commercials). The mouthfeel's pretty good, and no doubt the can helps maintain freshness...but the hoppiness seems fleeting. It doesn't taste quite as deliciously hoppy as it smells. The darker copper color seems to sit a little heavier without packing a punch.

Still, don't get it twisted: Surly Furious is bad-ass. I'm glad I sought it out this time, and I will likely seek it out again. Cheers!

3.97/5  rDev -7.9%

Pint car.
Poured into a pint glass shared with my brother inllaw.

The beer is amber almost cloudy with a decent head formation.

The nose is hops fully of citrus earthy hops with aaroma of crytal malts that work very well together.

The taste is wonderful all hop flavor citrus earth hops crystal malt all togeth and done very well. The end is very clean and slight bitter....nice brew

4.18/5  rDev -3%

Pours a dark blood red with an impressive tan head that sticks around for a while. Aroma is big hops with an emphasis on the pine and citrus. Taste is sweet carmel malts up front with earthy and citrus hops behind it to clean off the palate. Very nice taste. A bitter aftertaste lingers and gets a little on the nasty side which hurts the mouthfeel. My first drink of this I was thinking 5. After finishing the can, it's not quite there, but it's damn good.

4.46/5  rDev +3.5%

Pours an orangey brown with a huge sticky cream colored head. Unbelievably thick and sticky lace. The aroma is caramelized fruit, pine, well buttered toast. Superbly balanced flavors of toasted malts and piney hops. Perfect mouthfeel. Just big enough to not be watery, yet thin enough to be easy to drink. Really a fantastic beer.

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to zrrbrrt for this one...real excited to see Surly pumping out a few canned offerings.
Rust color...quite cloudy with a full finger and a half of light tan head...most of which remains and what does fade, leaves behind some thick, spotty lacing.
Citrus hops (mainly grapefruit) hit the nostrils first with some biscuit malt follwing close behind.
Taste is as the name suggests...furious. Abusively hoppy (citrus and floral), but just as your pallet can't take it, the malt sweetness adds just enough to attempt to balance it out...close, but falls just short, thankfully.
No hint of alcohol and finishes dry, and as expected, bitter.
Mouthfeel is thick...especially for an IPA. This one is as close to a DIPA as they come...definitions be damned.
Drinkability is a tough one...while this brew is outstanding, I could only handle a couple of them because of the slaughter the hops wreak on the pallet, yet I enjoy every sip with a huge smile on my face.
Either way, a solid brew from an up and coming brewery.
Recommend without any hesitation...seek it out now.

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%

From a 16oz can into a Perfect Pint Glass.

Light brown/orange color that borders on reddish near the top, with a good half inch of foam that seems fit the Perfect Pint glass like a glove.

Smells like pine needles and plenty of good old dirty earthy hops.

Taste has a little bit of everything. A bit of sweet caramel malt, the pine needles and a good bite of grapefruit in the back. This is one of those of those beers that I realize I have no business drinking, let alone trying to review it. That being said, I'm not even sure what it is. It doesn't say so on the can, but I will assume it is either an IPA or a DIPA. That would make it the first time I had had either one out of a can, and this does nothing but make me want to find more offerings from this brewery.

Mouthfeel is also very interesting. Seems thicker than I am used to with an IPA, but who knows if that's what this is. LEt's just leave it at: TRY ONE.

Drinkabilty is good, but something tells me it is called Surly for a reason.

Thanks to TP for hooking me up yet again with a beer I don't deserve.

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

Appearance: orange brown in color, 1/4 inch head, clear, moderate carbonation

Smell: pine and citrus hops

Taste: pine dominates with a pinch of citrus hops and a small amount of toffee malt towards the end

Mouthfeel: moderately smooth, medium bodied, bitter

Drinkability: Due to the high concentration of hops, I think two is my max per sitting. This is a sipper, but a tasty one. I will look for this one again.

to view more.